Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

It was neat but felt like a misstep. Xavier would not only know pretty quick what's up but could roll up (literally :haw:) and take care of most of it himself. Any time you point out he exists in this world, it immediately brings up the question of "so where the gently caress is he right now?"

he's going senile in an empty water container in mexico and wolverine gives him drugs every once in a while so he can't use his powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Chokes McGee posted:

It was neat but felt like a misstep. Xavier would not only know pretty quick what's up but could roll up (literally :haw:) and take care of most of it himself. Any time you point out he exists in this world, it immediately brings up the question of "so where the gently caress is he right now?"

It's the X-Men. He's probably in loving space.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
I love this show but it could be a bit more compact and faster paced. Like in Tropic Thunder where advice is beeing given that you don't go "full retarded", this show can easily slip into too much meta.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is zero sense of time. It bothers me, but it's also like a dream is i guess.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Slightly Absurd posted:

Desolé can be both "desert [desolation]" or "sorry. [Je suis desolé]"

I first heard "le desolé" as "Lake de Soleil" and was, "Oh, that's why all the water in the valley dried up and it turned into a desert".

:downs:

Jerusalem posted:

Not enough Aubrey Plaza though :mad:

I wish they'd find more use for the inquisitor guy.

He's such a great character and every time he gets an interrogation scene is just marvellous.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

/\ I like that they fleshed him out from more than just a bad guy chasing everyone in Season 1. He could have been lying, but he still got Syd to tell him something with a cute story. "C'mon, just girl-talk." :3:

Speaking of S1, did they explain who the guy throwing boulders and people around during David's escape was? Or was David doing it subconsciously with another personality? I don't remember seeing that guy later on.

The cave analogy wasn't bad, just off. They should have switched distracted people on their cell phones with shut-ins on their computer. Like me.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Waffle! posted:

Speaking of S1, did they explain who the guy throwing boulders and people around during David's escape was? Or was David doing it subconsciously with another personality? I don't remember seeing that guy later on.
His name was Rudy, he was a recurring character, and was ultimately shanked by the Eye.

Rocksicles posted:

There is zero sense of time. It bothers me, but it's also like a dream is i guess.
There's zero sense of time or world. The characters exist in a bubble and only interact with each other. For that and other reasons I'm not ready to totally dismiss It's All A Dream (or similar) theories because the show is definitely working on dream logic. Syd decides to chase David and then she's just jumping out of a plane into the desert that exists beyond time and space wearing the same clothes she was wearing back in Division 3. A cow just appears twice in Division 3 and then is gone. The ink birds.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't think it's all a dream, but I think reality is behaving in dream-like ways as a consequence of David's powers. The Shadow King's made several comments that almost directly point this out, assuming you trust his assessment.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Chokes McGee posted:

I think this is pretty crucial thing. I mean not only where is Xavier. Where is everyone. There's almost no other X-Men characters. It's always played with the idea that this is all in David's head. With straight up inconsistencies in the reality portrayed, and the fact almost every single character is a reflection of David in some way. I do feel like the show is ultimately heading toward a "it was all a dream" but that won't be the point. The point will be "it's all in David's head but despite that these people matter" That will be the attempted twist, not the level to which it is false, but the level to which we accept the dream to be real.

Super embarrassing story time. I once had a dream where I was some space trader, I'd visit planets as I stopped over to offload goods. One time I met an old lady carrying groceries, we exchanged hellos and went on our way. Decades later, in a city now grown and changed, virtually indistinguishable, I see her again. Even older, and I say hello. She remembered who I was, and I woke up tears streaming down my face that she remembered me, that I made a passing impact on a stranger.

The emotion there was real, I felt it then and still kind of do. Even though it was all as false as could be, it barely makes any sense at all, and is just strange and bizarre but there is still some small piece of it that survived the illusion.

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 28, 2018

night slime
May 14, 2014

JossiRossi posted:

I think this is pretty crucial thing. I mean not only where is Xavier. Where is everyone. There's almost no other X-Men characters. It's always played with the idea that this is all in David's head. With straight up inconsistencies in the reality portrayed, and the fact almost every single character is a reflection of David in some way. I do feel like the show is ultimately heading toward a "it was all a dream" but that won't be the point. The point will be "it's all in David's head but despite that these people matter" That will be the attempted twist, not the level to which it is false, but the level to which we accept the dream to be real.

Super embarrassing story time. I once had a dream where I was some space trader, I'd visit planets as I stopped over to offload goods. One time I met an old lady carrying groceries, we exchanged hellos and went on our way. Decades later, in a city now grown and changed, virtually indistinguishable, I see her again. Even older, and I say hello. She remembered who I was, and I woke up tears streaming down my face that she remembered me, that I made a passing impact on a stranger.

The emotion there was real, I felt it then and still kind of do. Even though it was all as false as could be, it barely makes any sense at all, and is just strange and bizarre but there is still some small piece of it that survived the illusion.

I think (maybe its someone else) the philosopher David Chalmers says that even if we "live" in a simulation that our feelings and attachments are all still legitimate. They wouldn't suddenly become fake with the introduction of new information.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

dogboy posted:

I love this show but it could be a bit more compact and faster paced. Like in Tropic Thunder where advice is beeing given that you don't go "full retarded", this show can easily slip into too much meta.

I really don't get this complaint (not you specifically, but in general). I mean, what you're criticizing ... that's the show. At its core, plotwise it's a pretty straightforward super hero tale that really isn't that interesting or unique from a story perspective. What makes the show good is how it goes about its business. It's the most unique presentation of a story in all tv. It's equivalent to saying "2001, well it's a decent movie, but they coulda trimmed the ape bit and the trippy part, tightened the slow bits up and bring it in at a brisk 82 minutes." Sure, they could have, but that would be a different movie and one that was forgotten about 2 weeks after it was released. e.e. cummings' poem 'loneliness' could be rewritten to a single line but it would destroy what the poem is.

To quote an old and tired trope: The media *is* the message. The way this show is filmed and edited and scored *is* what the show is about.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 29, 2018

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

I really don't get this complaint (not you specifically, but in general). I mean, what you're criticizing ... that's the show. At its core, plotwise it's a pretty straightforward super hero tale that really isn't that interesting or unique from a story perspective. What makes the show good is how it goes about its business. It's the most unique presentation of a story in all tv. It's equivalent to saying "2001, well it's a decent movie, but they coulda trimmed the ape bit and the trippy part, tightened the slow bits up and bring it in at a brisk 82 minutes." Sure, they could have, but that would be a different movie and one that was forgotten about 2 weeks after it was released. e.e. cummings' poem 'loneliness' could be rewritten to a single line but it would destroy what the poem is.

To quote an old and tired trope: The media *is* the message. The way this show is filmed and edited and scored *is* what the show is about.

Although I was sceptical, I did spontaneous joy dances when actual Fargo season 1, the TV show finally happened. And because of how good it actually was, not because it just happened. Season 2 was very good, too. As was Legion season 1. Now I am starting to skip stuff in season 2, although I'd still rate it as one of my current top 3 TV shows. The music is a blast and is a core point of what appeals to me about this show.

If it gets too weird and I lack a library of reference? No good music? Skip the bleh bleh bleh and just catch up about the alleged meta plot points on the internet. I guess I am an oaf :v:

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

night slime posted:

I think (maybe its someone else) the philosopher David Chalmers says that even if we "live" in a simulation that our feelings and attachments are all still legitimate. They wouldn't suddenly become fake with the introduction of new information.

Zizek, via Lacan, makes the inverse point quite a bit:

“I would like to use the wonderful model of Lacan. Let’s say that you are married and you are pathologically jealous, thinking that your wife is sleeping around with other men. And let’s say that you are totally right, she is cheating. Lacan says that your jealousy is still pathological. Even if everything is true it is pathological, because what makes it pathological is not the fact that is it true or not true, but why you invest so much in it—what needs does it fulfill? “

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Someone asked a few pages ago, yes the Mi-Go monks are a Lovecraft reference.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

night slime posted:

Cogito ergo sum, but with feels.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dreadwroth posted:

Someone asked a few pages ago, yes the Mi-Go monks are a Lovecraft reference.

I wonder if they put brains in jars.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really like Cary and Kerry.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

I was really happy to find out Kerry is actually played by a First Nations actor.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I was really happy to find out Kerry is actually played by a First Nations actor.

she's extremely good and has the best odd couple chemistry with bill irwin, who is also a delight

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I realized something recently.

If there is ever a Sandman tv adaptation I want noah hawley and his team to be in charge of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really hope Melanie is playing a con because it would suck if she was just another victim of Farouk's manipulation, or just a prop in Oliver's plan to get free - her reaction to "tag along" was just right so it struck me as disappointing that she ended up basically being (or at least appearing to be) just another puzzle piece.

AnEdgelord posted:

I realized something recently.

If there is ever a Sandman tv adaptation I want noah hawley and his team to be in charge of it.

Hire Bryan Fuller but just don't tell him that Noah Hawley is shadowing him and ready to step into his place the moment the relationship with the studio goes sour.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

dogboy posted:

The show is asking that it's viewers have a lot of faith in it going somewhere, yes.

I've read the original material it's based on and can see why some people have these issues with it but i think you'll change your mind with the finale. Keep watching!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Codependent Poster posted:

I like that Kerry has found something she likes that doesn't involve punching people.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Oasx posted:

I like that Kerry has found something she likes that doesn't involve punching people.

which is? I might have missed that scene. Is it cleaving people with katanas?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Cheers to everyone that wanted to see more Lenny :cheers:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

double nine posted:

which is? I might have missed that scene. Is it cleaving people with katanas?

Cream soda.

And yeah, that scene where she promised to murder Death before letting him/her get Cary was awesome.

It was nice to see Melanie get some extended screen time after being a nonentity for most of the season. I wonder if she's part of Oliver's "1 + 1 < 2" threat to Farouk a few episodes earlier?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Am I nuts or was the music over the final scenes and credits a classical cover of She's So Heavy?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I want some of whatever that blue poo poo is.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Jerusalem posted:

I really hope Melanie is playing a con because it would suck if she was just another victim of Farouk's manipulation, or just a prop in Oliver's plan to get free - her reaction to "tag along" was just right so it struck me as disappointing that she ended up basically being (or at least appearing to be) just another puzzle piece.

So Oliver thinks Melanie's on their side, but it's not 100% clear that anyone's falling for it or that she'll be effective. Didn't she claim David was coming alone? David setting up the board might have been aware of her status and intentionally hid facets of the plan from her.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

So Oliver thinks Melanie's on their side, but it's not 100% clear that anyone's falling for it or that she'll be effective. Didn't she claim David was coming alone? David setting up the board might have been aware of her status and intentionally hid facets of the plan from her.

david setting up the board and repeatedly eating/shredding/burning the Shadow King flag was surprisingly entertaining.

e: waitasec, there was no john hamm scene. :tinfoil:

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 30, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jerusalem posted:

Hire Bryan Fuller but just don't tell him that Noah Hawley is shadowing him and ready to step into his place the moment the relationship with the studio goes sour.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

glad she is dead posted:

Am I nuts or was the music over the final scenes and credits a classical cover of She's So Heavy?

Definitely sounds like it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
This was a good episode.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Waffle! posted:

Cheers to everyone that wanted to see more Lenny :cheers:

hope she can get whatever ridiculous sniper scenario David has planned over with soon, she's got a lot of caligula poo poo left to take care of

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

JawnV6 posted:

He probably wasn't directly aware, but it's part of his plan. The first thing he said to himself was that he couldn't just straight up tell them what's up or Farouk would read their minds.

I do like how everyone else is paranoid as poo poo and Cary/Kerry just went "I'm sure he knows what he's doing v:shobon:v" They're really the only two characters on the show that have any sense of normalcy. Cary's smart enough to not get affected by people's dumb poo poo and Kerry only understands punching and punch based deratives.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I dug that Cary kept insisting to Kerry that their job was done and it was time to go until they were needed again, but the moment the car teleported away he revealed he'd stuck a tracker on it so they could follow it :3:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doink

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Who was the woman Lenny was talking to?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who was the woman Lenny was talking to?

Amy. The person whose body she is occupying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was pretty sure that was going to happen.

Also how'd I never notice Aubry Plaza has giant eyes before?

The car vanishing made me think of Repo Man.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 31, 2018