Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Edge & Christian posted:

Having opinions about what foods you like is pretty good but just sort of yelling preferences over each other is a dumb thing. Like being American. Or reading comics. Or living.

What if I spice it up with some piquant cusses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Archyduke posted:

What if I spice it up with some piquant cusses.
piquant doesn't sound rough and tough enough remember not only are you above people for not giving a gently caress about explaining yourself but also you could kick their rear end because you're tough and they're poo poo

I bet I'm really going to enjoy the behind the scenes of story of what the hell happened in the Alonso/Cebulski switchover, especially as it regards the current storyline of

"We're bringing Wolverine back! No, not like that. No, never mind we're not doing that either. Well uh... hold on we're going to figure this out eventually. Give us another few mini-series."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Edge & Christian posted:

Having opinions about what foods you like is pretty good but just sort of yelling preferences over each other is a dumb thing. Like being American. Or reading comics. Or living.

I rarely know what you're going on about.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Gatts posted:

It really is. Americans love for bland food confounds me. I wish my tongue could appreciate bland blobs of barely cooked overpriced meat. Like a good steak is awesome but it’s crap compared to so much else that is offered in the world. And the best high end steakhouses still do stuff to it and give it accompaniments or cook it in a certain style or technique. To be fair I haven’t had authentic Kobe yet.

In what galaxy is steak bland and in what universe are steaks solely American

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I feel like this conversation stopped being about steak a while back and now people are just using it as an excuse to shittalk various people and their places of origin.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

TwoPair posted:

I feel like this conversation stopped being about steak a while back and now people are just using it as an excuse to shittalk various people and their places of origin.

Let's get back to what really matters, here in the steak megathread.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amKyA2PrSu4

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
After reading like 40 issues of sentry books i have come to the conclusion that everyone who thought that that character should have a) been created in the first place, and b) been placed in mainline continuity are loving morons

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

After reading like 40 issues of sentry books i have come to the conclusion that everyone who thought that that character should have a) been created in the first place, and b) been placed in mainline continuity are loving morons

It never should have gone beyond the original mini series.

Edit: The Sentry and the Hood are where I started to sour on Bendis. He started a habit of cribbing other people's ideas and breaking them.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark Reign Avengers was good :colbert:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

It never should have gone beyond the original mini series.

Age of the Sentry was good too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jordan7hm posted:

It was okay but it doesn't cancel out what a mess the character was everywhere else.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The Sentry has the Hank Pym problem in spades, where the Marvel Flaw has essentially replaced all of the character.

Also every single artist started drawing him with long blonde hair, which is exclusively a villain look.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dark Reign Avengers was good :colbert:

Yes ill admit i thought dark avengers was quite a bit more fun than i thought it would be, none of it because of the sentry tho and the arc where he kills the molecule man (which is why I started investigating the sentry as a character in the first place) is where bendis really jumped the shark.

And really bendis has a huge part in why he sucks because he makes him like literal god in some parts but also sometimes seems to realize the makes him so op he breaks the story so he can also arbitrarily lose to thor for reasons on occasion but also being able to kill the most powerful being in the universe, and he seemingly has no idea what the void is or should be (and tbh after reading all of it i still have trouble putting a coherent narrative on that myself, on top of it being kind of gross ablist perceptions of mental illness funnneled into a superhero story reading it in 2018), and also apparently he doesnt bother reading the actual jenkins series, or just bother asking jenkins whats the deal, so he continues to run off an outdated and incomplete backstory, it's just a mess

Obviously jenkins definitely has a hand inthis with regards to his powerset and all, but bendis just has him in more issues and has him like Be God a lot and not be more contained to fighting the void and dealing with his mental health issues specifically like in jenkins series

Jordan7hm posted:

I just finished this before posting and yeah it was really good and the story with tobin and coover doing the romance story was :swoon: but they couldnt even leave it alone and out of continuity, it had to be reed just reconciling the void through bedtime story theories

site fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 27, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Every time I think of the Sentry I remember the big reveal that he was the first guy Rogue had ever slept with, because his powers meant hers didn't matter, or whatever . And Jenkins never quite seemed to grasp why that irritated folks.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sentry owning the Super Adaptoid in the Jessica Jones/Luke Cage wedding New Avengers annual was awesome.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I really wish I could see more behind the scenes comics stuff, 'cause I'd love to know Bendis! was asked to, for example, return Doom to his status quo, or if he didn't want anyone playing with his Iron Doom Man action figure after he left. Cause it LOOKS like he just set up a bunch of poo poo and left, as if to say "do something with this or don't, peace". Like, if you know you're leaving and aren't going to actually DO anything with the revelation that Tony's evil biological father is alive, why make it a plot point? Or, like I said before, was he working with the next writer, setting up something that, ugh, Slott is going to use?
I personally don't mind Bendis; I've never read the things people complain most about when it comes to him. (e: Oh, wait, his X-Men started out cool and then turned to serious poo poo. gently caress 'im for that) But I sure wouldn't give the smallest poo poo if nobody ever used The goddamn Hood in anything ever again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Supposedly Hickman was going to write a Doom ongoing after SW but he was burned the gently caress out so Bendis grabbed him up.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Does Bendis still write like 8 books at once? I feel like that might be his biggest problem, and why he relies on Bendis-speak so much.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

At DC he's doing four ongoings at once with both Superman comics and two Jinxworld things

edit: so far. Powers will start up again this year too, but I'm sure those outside-DCU things aren't gonna stick to a monthly schedule.
The Superman comics are shifting from a two-per-month schedule to one, so he's not going too hard.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 28, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well let's not kid ourselves, the Jinxworld books won't really be ongoing in the sense of the word we're all accustomed to using. At least not for very long.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah Scarlet has been ongoing since like 2011 and has I think 12?? issues lol

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Nilbop posted:

Also every single artist started drawing him with long blonde hair, which is exclusively a villain look.

Uh, Thor? Quasar? 90's Aquaman?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Thought people might appreciate this.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Horrible Taste posted:

Uh, Thor? Quasar? 90's Aquaman?

That's been Thor's established look for 50 years, and nobody gives a single solitary gently caress about the other two.

Cut to you all being massive Quasar fans and tearing me a new one.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Diet Poison posted:

I really wish I could see more behind the scenes comics stuff, 'cause I'd love to know Bendis! was asked to, for example, return Doom to his status quo, or if he didn't want anyone playing with his Iron Doom Man action figure after he left. Cause it LOOKS like he just set up a bunch of poo poo and left, as if to say "do something with this or don't, peace". Like, if you know you're leaving and aren't going to actually DO anything with the revelation that Tony's evil biological father is alive, why make it a plot point? Or, like I said before, was he working with the next writer, setting up something that, ugh, Slott is going to use?
I personally don't mind Bendis; I've never read the things people complain most about when it comes to him. (e: Oh, wait, his X-Men started out cool and then turned to serious poo poo. gently caress 'im for that) But I sure wouldn't give the smallest poo poo if nobody ever used The goddamn Hood in anything ever again.

Nearly dying probably was a big derail in this plans to wrap everything up and put it back into a good starting place for the next writer, but usually Bendis returns the toys back to the editorially mandated toybox reasonably well (like, he didn't erase the time-displaced X-Men as it was a push from above, but he brought back Wasp before he finished his Avengers run).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He also brought back Vision in the most half assed way imaginable.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rhyno posted:

Supposedly Hickman was going to write a Doom ongoing after SW but he was burned the gently caress out so Bendis grabbed him up.

Goddd I would've loved that. Bummer it didn't come to pass. :(

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Nilbop posted:

That's been Thor's established look for 50 years

So it hasn't been a "exclusively villain look" for 50 years.

Nilbop posted:

, and nobody gives a single solitary gently caress about the other two.

Cut to you all being massive Quasar fans and tearing me a new one.

I actually am a fan of Quasar (well the Wendell Vaughn version*) but you've got a point since nobody at Marvel seems to give a gently caress about him.

*Phyla's alright except she's in love with a rapist and Avril from Spencer's Captain America run was more a plot device than a character.

Horrible Taste fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 28, 2018

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Lurdiak posted:

He also brought back Vision in the most half assed way imaginable.

That might have been one of the single dumbest things in Avengers history.

Stark - “Hey guys! Apropos of nothing, but this whole time in the background while I’ve been busy erasing my mind and wondering if I’m a Skrull I’ve actually been rebuilding our friend the Vision! Just a spare project about resurrecting a living being whose death was the catalyst for our team breaking up and being completely redone, no big deal”

Everyone else - “ Hey cool. Also Storm is here now, let’s go beat up Norman Osborne”

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I mean I know most non true X-men fans complain that Jean Grey is constantly dying and coming back to life but isn't that normal for Vision?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah but Vision is basically a robot, that makes his resurrections easier to swallow.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Horrible Taste posted:

*Phyla's alright except she's in love with a rapist and Avril from Spencer's Captain America run was more a plot device than a character.

Refresh my memory about Moondragon?

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Refresh my memory about Moondragon?

She raped Thor.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Horrible Taste posted:

I actually am a fan of Quasar (well the Wendell Vaughn version*) but you've got a point since nobody at Marvel seems to give a gently caress about him.

I'm a fan of Quasar and I was fine with killing him off in Annihilation. Wendell gets to go out as a big drat hero and he's such a minor character that if they brought him back again it was 50/50 on it being really lovely.

But as the old saying goes, nobody stays dead in comics except Bucky and Uncle Ben.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

I'm a fan of Quasar and I was fine with killing him off in Annihilation. Wendell gets to go out as a big drat hero and he's such a minor character that if they brought him back again it was 50/50 on it being really lovely.

But as the old saying goes, nobody stays dead in comics except Bucky and Uncle Ben.

About that saying...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i still dont understand why spencer bothered to make a new quaser just to kill her off immediately

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

i still dont understand why spencer bothered to make a new quaser just to kill her off immediately

They planned to spin her off as the new Quasar but then somebody in marketing said "but who actually gives a gently caress about Quasar?" and they killed it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

bobkatt013 posted:

He wouldn’t never cheat on aunt may!

Last I saw Mole Man was dating one of his monsters thanks to Squirrel Girl

Shawn posted:

Vampires, Leprechauns, and Aliens feature way more heavily in X-men than you'd think.

Not to mention that Canada is a lot more evil than you would think

Also question for the thread, if you had to choose to have one character in main 616 continuity be permanently killed off, who would you choose?

Personally I'd pick Punisher, he's just never felt like a good fit for the main Marvel universe*, or indeed most of it's variants either, so yeah I'd have him die in an appropriate fashion and then have the Punisher name picked up by a new character who fits into a Superhero universe better

*funny thing is the Ultimate version of Punisher feels like he would fit in much better in the main continuity, as they integrated him much better into weird superhero shenanigans than 616 Frank Castle has pretty much ever been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Random Stranger posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Locked thread