Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Trout's just going to keep going tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DaStampede posted:

Trout's just going to keep going tonight

LOL @ pitching to him when JUSTIN UPTON is behind him. What a joke.

Also Didi hitting 3rd doesn't seem great...

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 27, 2018

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

https://twitter.com/ktsharp/status/1000586173146910721

Gray also owns the worst home-stadium ERA in the league at 7.22.

Sucks that there is no equivalent of “Chris Sale on the White Sox” to go after this year.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 27, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I really hope Bird stays healthy

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

I really hope Bird stays healthy

:same:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Andujar walking just looks so bizarre

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I really hate Sonny Gray.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Garrett Richards does fine against other teams but can't pitch against the Yankees. a western David Price

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Stanton and Didi both look horrific at the plate right now...

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

mcmagic posted:

Stanton and Didi both look horrific at the plate right now...

That was really rough for Stanton

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know Giancarlo Stanton knows more about hitting a baseball than I do but like when I watch him bat and stand there I feel like I'm watching someone who is picking up a bat for the first time and taking the most uncomfortable and tense stance possible. I don't get it at all.

Like, remember when you were a kid and you copied all the stances of your team's stars? I feel like copying Stanton's stance would be something I was assigned as "JUG" after standing with books in your outstretched arms*.

*I went to some bad schools that did bad things.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

STAC Goat posted:

I know Giancarlo Stanton knows more about hitting a baseball than I do but like when I watch him bat and stand there I feel like I'm watching someone who is picking up a bat for the first time and taking the most uncomfortable and tense stance possible. I don't get it at all.

Like, remember when you were a kid and you copied all the stances of your team's stars? I feel like copying Stanton's stance would be something I was assigned as "JUG" after standing with books in your outstretched arms*.

*I went to some bad schools that did bad things.

I only know what JUG is because I was on the same bus route as the Fordham Prep kids but the name alone is horrifying

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Good pitching and umpiring all around.

Edit: Clint Frazier needs to be in the majors and playing every day.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 28, 2018

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I desperately want him, but where the hell do you put him? I guess the others more rest? Gardner is useful, and Hicks, to the contrary of what you said, is pretty good. He does everything well except hit for average. I guess Frazier should be there because Gardner's option doesn't make sense with the new MLB economics.

The problems right now, by far, are:

1. Gray
2. CC (maybe)
3. Bullpen

The offense is the best in baseball, although super streaky.

I don't want to cut bait on Gray given what we gave up for him. But if it's possible to find another problem case to swap him for. I would have suggested Harvey if he wasn't already traded. Although I'm a little terrified that he's a product of playing in Oakland. If they just had Montgomery being replacement level, it'd be a huge upgrade.

For the bullpen, I think Kahnle just doesn't have it, he might be a one year wonder. I still trust Robertson and Betances, and they're about to get Warren back. That gives them 5 relievers. Holder's fine (gently caress the haters), and German might be #7 with how he's been looking. I don't want to call up Sheffield because I don't want them to Joba him. Not saying anything particularly controversial here, fire Shreve into the sun.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

I desperately want him, but where the hell do you put him? I guess the others more rest? Gardner is useful, and Hicks, to the contrary of what you said, is pretty good. He does everything well except hit for average. I guess Frazier should be there because Gardner's option doesn't make sense with the new MLB economics.

The problems right now, by far, are:

1. Gray
2. CC (maybe)
3. Bullpen

The offense is the best in baseball, although super streaky.

I don't want to cut bait on Gray given what we gave up for him. But if it's possible to find another problem case to swap him for. I would have suggested Harvey if he wasn't already traded. Although I'm a little terrified that he's a product of playing in Oakland. If they just had Montgomery being replacement level, it'd be a huge upgrade.

For the bullpen, I think Kahnle just doesn't have it, he might be a one year wonder. I still trust Robertson and Betances, and they're about to get Warren back. That gives them 5 relievers. Holder's fine (gently caress the haters), and German might be #7 with how he's been looking. I don't want to call up Sheffield because I don't want them to Joba him. Not saying anything particularly controversial here, fire Shreve into the sun.

Kahnle pitched in VERY bad luck his first game back against LA and pitched a 1-2-3 today. He's going to be fine.

Hicks and Gardner have been very slimier players this season that both have been relatively replacement level. And that is with Gardner having a pretty bad season by his standards.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I'm worried about Kahnle because he's been 94-96 all year, including today. He was sitting 98-100 last year. Hopefully he just needs to build up strength.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

IDK if he's even available but the guy the Yankees should go ALL OUT to get is Bumgarner....

If they can't get him, I would rather have Happ than Hamels or Fulmer.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I dont really know how you could call CC a "problem". He is the 5th starter, and playing his rear end off. The only thing that could be a problem is if they rely on him to be more than that which is a failure on everyone else, not himself/

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

IDK if he's even available but the guy the Yankees should go ALL OUT to get is Bumgarner....

If they can't get him, I would rather have Happ than Hamels or Fulmer.

lol bumgarner pitched like 100 innings last year and hasn't even thrown a ball this year and you think they need to go ALL OUT to get him, what the christ.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I dont really know how you could call CC a "problem". He is the 5th starter, and playing his rear end off. The only thing that could be a problem is if they rely on him to be more than that which is a failure on everyone else, not himself/

Yeah, this is 100% right. The real issues are the Montgomery injury (I really thought he was going to be solid this year), Gray blowing huge amounts of rear end, and Tanaka being severely inconsistent (though obviously good when on).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's the 3rd starter...

Paul Zuvella posted:

lol bumgarner pitched like 100 innings last year and hasn't even thrown a ball this year and you think they need to go ALL OUT to get him, what the christ.

He's a 28 year old lefty who is already one of the best playoff pitchers of all time. Who wants that bum?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What about someone like Collin McHugh? He's a proven starter that happens to be the odd man out in the Astros rotation and I don't think he'd be that expensive.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

If Gray was Oakland Gray this entire conversation would be completely different. He's a massive, gaping black hole disaster that is having a ripple effect on all the other pitchers. It's actually unbelievable how bad he is - 2000 Roy Halladay levels.

Edit: I looked up 2000 Roy Halladay and ok, Gray isn't that bad yet. Holy poo poo.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 29, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm thinking we get JA Happ and possibly another pitcher on some 2014 A's poo poo

Happ fits the Yankees' pitching profile, and he's got AL East experience

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

He's the 3rd starter...

No he's not? he is 4th in IP currently, and thats only because Montgomery is injured. Dude is not being relied on for a heavy Innings pitched workload, that is the definition of a 5th starter.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

No he's not? he is 4th in IP currently, and thats only because Montgomery is injured. Dude is not being relied on for a heavy Innings pitched workload, that is the definition of a 5th starter.

No he’s the 3rd starter. Literally.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

German looks like he'll be real good in like two years

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's their 3rd best starter...

Their defense looks like it's back to early April levels of kicking the ball around... Not ideal.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 30, 2018

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I loving love cone and O'Neil

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1001643676832067587

ugh

Christ... Stanton and Sanchez are both non competitive.

Gleyber is not non competitive.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 30, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Was at the game, can confirm that Aaron Judge hits sound like bombs going off

I will literally die for Gleyber Torres

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

Was at the game, can confirm that Aaron Judge hits sound like bombs going off

I was at the game last year where Judge almost hit one out of Safeco. The crack of the ball coming off of his bat is a beautiful thing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pretty funny that Keuchel is the houston pitcher I fear like 4th now...

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

The crack of the ball off Stanton's bat is . . . well, I wouldn't know right now.

Also just have to say :lol: at that wild pitch by Chapman. Insane.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Does boston ever not play AAA teams?

Edit: Good job of hitting by Gary.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 31, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

gently caress Gurriel. The Astros are scumbags.

Good series win. If Sonny Gray can't pitch well against Baltimore..... That won't be ideal.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 31, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think the Yankees are good, that makes me happy.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

mcmagic posted:

gently caress Gurriel. The Astros are scumbags.

What did he do now?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ihatepants posted:

What did he do now?

First and second with 1 out, ground ball between 3B and SS, Andujar fields it, Gurriel collides into him. Call out on interference. Andujar shaken up but stays in. Broke up a potential double play.

If you give Gurriel the benefit of the doubt he had his head down and did a dumb and reckless thing and didn't see Andujar. If you assume the worst he intentionally did it to break up the double play. I saw nothing to really indicate it was intentional, but I can't read his mind and rule it out either. I chalk it up to baseball.

https://twitter.com/MLBdream/status/1001989045306757120
https://twitter.com/Jomboy_/status/1001988587003547648

I actually think it looks like he tries to dodge Andujar at the last second. He also could have been dodging Didi. Or he could have been aiming. The first gif kind of makes it look intentional to me, the second makes it look accidental. I really don't know so I rather not be an angry homer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

First and second with 1 out, ground ball between 3B and SS, Andujar fields it, Gurriel collides into him. Call out on interference. Andujar shaken up but stays in. Broke up a potential double play.

If you give Gurriel the benefit of the doubt he had his head down and did a dumb and reckless thing and didn't see Andujar. If you assume the worst he intentionally did it to break up the double play. I saw nothing to really indicate it was intentional, but I can't read his mind and rule it out either. I chalk it up to baseball.

https://twitter.com/MLBdream/status/1001989045306757120
https://twitter.com/Jomboy_/status/1001988587003547648

I actually think it looks like he tries to dodge Andujar at the last second. He also could have been dodging Didi. Or he could have been aiming. The first gif kind of makes it look intentional to me, the second makes it look accidental. I really don't know so I rather not be an angry homer.

Even with the most generous reading of it, it was reckless and dangerous. He should be suspended for it.

The best development of the last year other than Torres is the ending of the Keuchel hex.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 31, 2018

• Locked thread