Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Beyond a conversation or two, at most, there will be zero tangible impact of movie events. Just like all the other times except the Hydra reveal in season 1.

Even the episodes involving the government were all about *inhumans* and not any of the superheroes from the movies beyond oblique conversational references.

Aww, don't be so cynical. Surely this season will be the one to bring in Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Luke Cage, DareDevil and Colossus all at once to fight evil wizard Dr. Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

...evil wizard Dr. Doom.

Who turns out to be Deadpool wearing a Halloween mask. One of those terrible die-cut plastic ones.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

That doesn't make any sense. Possible yes, probable? Of course not.
It's entirely probable enough for TV.

The snap is literally taking a fair coin and flipping it it 8 billion-odd times. There are, what, six primary SHIELD characters (Daisy, Simmons, Mack, Yo-yo, Piper, Davis)? Seven if you include cryo-Fitz? It's a guarantee that you're going to see streaks of heads that long over that many trials, and while it would be slightly suspicious that the people who happen to be on a TV show all magically survive it's entirely statistically reasonable and that's enough for television.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What you're describing is not what the word probable means.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's going to be one of the semi-background agents.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Random chance sparing the main characters in a TV series is extremely likely actually. If they choose to not ignore infinity war completely, at most 1 person will get dusted.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

In an unexpected twist, AOS will be acknowledged in...

The Netflix Shows!

Mymla posted:

Random chance sparing the main characters in a TV series is extremely likely actually. If they choose to not ignore infinity war completely, at most 1 person will get dusted.

Whoever gets the dead from Infinity War will happen between seasons. Since Season 6 will open after Infinity War 2 Avengers 4, and everyone will be restored, I think the best bet is that we'll see someone get the Restored! CGI effects treatment, or maybe a "X Months Ago" intro where we see it happen, and then "Present Day" where we see them come back.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

alternatively, the new season picks off 5 seconds after this one ended, they pick up 2 [incredibly important and nuanced characters], who get dusted at the end of the episode. Shock horror.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

double nine posted:

alternatively, the new season picks off 5 seconds after this one ended, they pick up 2 [incredibly important and nuanced characters], who get dusted at the end of the episode. Shock horror.

Bobbi & Hunter.

Pretty sure that's a Dick Move of Whedon Proportions.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

Bobbi & Hunter.

ooh, now we're getting places.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It just dawned on me that when they find the ship with CryoFitz's coffin, they will open it up and IT WILL BE EMPTY

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Since the entire remaining cast are in space now, would the thing even affect them out there?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The universe does cover space yes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slashrat posted:

Since the entire remaining cast are in space now, would the thing even affect them out there?

Did you not watch Infinity War?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Rhyno posted:

Did you not watch Infinity War?

I have not, no. I'm going solely by the unavoidable spoilers that I've been exposed to so far

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

It would be a significant and unnecessary gamble to make Infinity War required watching in AoS. While your Marketing Overseers are no doubt pleased with the rate at which you consume Marvel media, in their wisdom they realize that not everyone does so. If they don't refer to Infinity War, the obedient Marvel consumers will grumble a bit online and continue consuming; if AoS forces people to watch a film just to understand why a character went away, some will simply stop watching. This is contrary to the goals of all TV shows that aren't on PBS.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You can explain that things have happened without requiring people to have seen a movie. This show has been threading that needle the whole time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Basically the show had one big tie-in with a movie, and now has nods every once in a while to establish they're still in the same universe and embolden people to jump in with day one spoilers.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They also connect thematically more than they intersect literally. Like, this season was all about "if we kill this one guy, we stop the oncoming shitstorm" and the characters refusing to do it and, well, yeah.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

homullus posted:

It would be a significant and unnecessary gamble to make Infinity War required watching in AoS. While your Marketing Overseers are no doubt pleased with the rate at which you consume Marvel media, in their wisdom they realize that not everyone does so. If they don't refer to Infinity War, the obedient Marvel consumers will grumble a bit online and continue consuming; if AoS forces people to watch a film just to understand why a character went away, some will simply stop watching. This is contrary to the goals of all TV shows that aren't on PBS.

It takes less than that for some people to drop a show.

They stupid.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RareAcumen posted:

Aww, don't be so cynical. Surely this season will be the one to bring in Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Luke Cage, DareDevil and Colossus all at once to fight evil wizard Dr. Doom.

too late, they canceled it

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kheldarn posted:

Bobbi & Hunter.

Bobbi is transition wiped and we can have Hunter back. No muss, no fuss.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I posted a bunch how I was worried they wouldn't come up with a satisfying ending for the time loop and I was right.

Where things are completely fixed and people can't even speak different words even if they've heard the conversation before while people repeatedly fail to break the time loop and it proves it's pre-destined to happen to create extreme tension of certain failure for 99% of the season at the very end Coulson just goes "Nope, time loop is over everyone gg."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Consider instead that they _were_ speaking different words. For example, the flashback Robin had in that one episode never happened to them in this timeline. And as for why this iteration broke the loop, it's because we're following the timeline that survived. The whole season was basically about trying to figure out whether or not they were working on 12 Monkeys (the movie) rules, and they just proved at the end that they're not.

It's the same thing when people ask of other works of fiction "why did the main character happen to survive this thing that killed everyone else?" Sometimes yeah it's plot armor but it's also because we're usually following the character who survived. If that character had died and someone else had survived then that someone would have been chosen as the main character from the start.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Argue posted:

Consider instead that they _were_ speaking different words. For example, the flashback Robin had in that one episode never happened to them in this timeline. And as for why this iteration broke the loop, it's because we're following the timeline that survived. The whole season was basically about trying to figure out whether or not they were working on 12 Monkeys (the movie) rules, and they just proved at the end that they're not.

It's the same thing when people ask of other works of fiction "why did the main character happen to survive this thing that killed everyone else?" Sometimes yeah it's plot armor but it's also because we're usually following the character who survived. If that character had died and someone else had survived then that someone would have been chosen as the main character from the start.

It's this. We just have to assume that there were likely countless iterations preceding the one we watched where they failed (just like Fitz suggested), each one being slightly different but not different enough. What was the one thing that finally made them break the loop? I dunno. They dunno. We have very little insight into the other iterations (only Robin's visions and future Yo-yo's comments).
They just happened to save the Earth this this time so roll credits.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
I'm inclined to think that the thing that broke the loop was actually Deke talking to Daisy and basically telling her to get over her poo poo.

This led her to make Mack the team leader, leading to his survival, and Coulson overheard her speech and got the idea to give her the Centipede serum.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think Deke is the key that changed the timeline.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If Deke's presence is unique to this timeline, then why did Deke's grandmother have the same exact ring in the timeline he came from when he wasn't in the past to pick it out for her?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

counterfeitsaint posted:

If Deke's presence is unique to this timeline, then why did Deke's grandmother have the same exact ring in the timeline he came from when he wasn't in the past to pick it out for her?

Because he intentionally picked one like his grandmother had.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My 57 year old dad watches this show every week, but has never seen a marvel movie.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

This should help

Jorgos Nuuh
Dec 28, 2004
Pröööööt

No Butt Stuff posted:

My 57 year old dad watches this show every week, but has never seen a marvel movie.

I was like "heh, old people". Then I realised I'm turning 47 soon. It broke my brain a bit. I've seen all the Marvel movies so far though. gently caress getting old.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Proteus Jones posted:

This should help

That's legitimately kind of great.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Proteus Jones posted:

This should help

Please tell me there is more.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Jorgos Nuuh posted:

I'm turning 47 soon.

Heh, old people.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tarquinn posted:

Please tell me there is more.

From the Funny Panels thread.

https://imgur.com/gallery/EQVRM5B

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Thanks! :tipshat:

Just preordered that book.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Proteus Jones posted:

This should help

This is basically Gwenpools power in the last part of her series.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Sad news guys.

http://ew.com/news/2018/07/11/chloe-bennet-dating-logan-paul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
If only Dale Cooper was there to give her positive role models.