Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I just did Quiet Extreme and I've either forgotten or never noticed the co-pilot in the post-fight cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Black Griffon posted:

I just did Quiet Extreme and I've either forgotten or never noticed the co-pilot in the post-fight cutscenes.

I'm trying to find the video, but when the pilot flips the switches in the next scene, it's to the tune of mission complete on MGS:VR Missions

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3bIz0Hpw-E There we go

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 27, 2018

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm trying to find the video, but when the pilot flips the switches in the next scene, it's to the tune of mission complete on MGS:VR Missions

Ooh, that's fun and subtle.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Please don't remind me of trying to finish Quiet with non-firearm attacks on extreme.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

Please don't remind me of trying to finish Quiet with non-firearm attacks on extreme.

Well now I'm reminding myself of when I did it four years ago.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can’t you just drop supply crates on her head

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Can’t you just drop supply crates on her head

You can normally but I think on Extreme she's a little smarter and will instantly take off before it hits her.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Not on extreme, she jumps away at the last second.

Efb

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

itskage posted:

Not on extreme, she jumps away at the last second.

Efb
So you stand up when the drop timer is at... like 40, it's been a while... and she prioritizes taking a shot at you over dodging the crate :eng101:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fargin Icehole posted:

It doesn't really land without the final three doots

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If a soldier has enough of a bonus from medals does that make the game consider them higher ranks when it comes to the level of the combat, security, etc platforms? Ie. can you turn S into S+ and S+ into ++?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Medals do make a difference, but AFAFIK you can only level them up one level. So an S can become S+ but will never beef up to S++

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks. Will it also actually update the S rank to S+ or will I just have to look at the yellow bonus bar and hope it’s enough?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Even with all the medals, S rank is pretty much the best you can get from them. Medals do provide a tiny boost for that soldier, to a limit where S++ caps with one medal, but FOB runs are still better. There may be an extremely rare soldier with just enough natural stats, that all the medals may kick him to S+. The difference with one plus is huge. Don't fall for the trap of giving all your soldiers medals instead of doing invasions and tossing out those soldiers.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 29, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kibayasu posted:

Thanks. Will it also actually update the S rank to S+ or will I just have to look at the yellow bonus bar and hope it’s enough?

Their rank will go up on paper as well. However.. I think some don’t reach the next rank ever? Some are S but almost S+ and the medals are enough to push them up, but I think there are others where they’ll be a low S, and no amount of medals will upgrade their rank. Gotta eyeball the bar that says what their rank is and see which ones look like they just need a push.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Their rank will go up on paper as well. However.. I think some don’t reach the next rank ever? Some are S but almost S+ and the medals are enough to push them up, but I think there are others where they’ll be a low S, and no amount of medals will upgrade their rank. Gotta eyeball the bar that says what their rank is and see which ones look like they just need a push.

I have seen that some S are better than others. Suppose I’ll start at the top and see if those can get pushed up but if they can’t then none of them will, at least without mode medals they’re not likely to get. Thanks, good thought.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Right, I've played 234 hours of this game and I've never seen this.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Looks like you're just stuck in 3rd person cam during one of Quiet's goofy cinematics.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Huh, so I had no idea that the offline dispatch missions that weren't the "Destruction" missions refreshed with different missions. When I first looked at that menu there were only the "key" missions, a bunch of recruitment missions for up to B soldiers, and the Destruction ones. I didn't need any B soldiers at that point so I just completely ignored the recruitment missions, figuring they were there for players who somehow lost or needed a bunch of low ranks to farm with. Fast forward to today and since the current FOB event is a motherfucker to do (full 4 platforms with cameras, UAV's, and all soldiers in riot armor so "gently caress you" if you want to tranq anybody) I didn't really have an quick way to refill the S ranks (I only have S rank combat soldiers now) I lost on the Destruction combat deployments with their 10% loss rate so I just went "Well, whatever, these recruitment missions only have a 3% loss rate, free GMP, might as well farm them." I was pretty surprised when those finished and I got a bunch of other missions with rewards other than soldiers I couldn't use, including much higher GMP rewards.

Sure wish I knew about that a few dozen hours ago.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Still no Death Stranding thread? I may have to Effort Post one...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very very excited for Death Stranding, Hideo is unleashed!

I was just watching this interview 8 hours into this gameslice stream, has Hideo talking about how he digs Bionic Woman with Lindsay Wagner and a translator there as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPWDwBrUNyY

For a bonus, Rocco from Mega64 is on for a few minutes at about 1 hour 8 minutes in.

Any other Hideo interviews and stuff from E3? I liked how he tweeted trying on the gear from the recent trailer.

edit: Later in the interview they talk a bit on how the game isn't about violence to solve things and whatnot. How the goal of the game isn't to fight enemies, but it's to "reconnect the world", and he says shooting isn't the ideal option. Though it is an option.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 12, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Lol shooting wasn’t the ideal option in MGS either.

I’m buying Day 1 and all, but one concern I have from the trailer is that Kojima didn’t take any lessons away from TPPs open world. It looks big and really pretty but Norman Reedus is crouch walking or climbing hills all alone. I don’t want another big empty world.

They did show some urban areas and maybe they weren’t polished enough yet for the trailer.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Indeed, he pretty much could have been talking about an MGS game in that interview. Goes to show, you can take the Hideo out of the Metal Gear, but you can't take the Metal Gear out of Hideo. Though I'm sure with the out there symbolic elements and the surrealness of the world, and even less combat perhaps, this'll be a cool new extension of what he had been doing.

On the world, I was never bored wandering around in MGSV, but there were a lot of audio tapes to listen to, and cool tunes. Assuming there's nothing like that in this, it'll definitely have a different feel. There'll be an NPC or two to talk to here and there anyway. I guess maybe a little bit of that Silent Hills DNA in the mix here, for the unsettling ambiance.

edit: He's talking to somebody on a radio thing in a cutscene, maybe you'll be able to Otacon it up a bit during gameplay as well.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 12, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think it’s pretty funny that Kojima got all these known actors with their almost photorealistic likenesses scanned into the game but he couldn’t help but make Lindsay Wagner younger.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 13, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The problem with 5’s open world is that most it’s not really part of the game, just a time sink to advance background progress and an obstacle that offers 0 challenge to get through. The only times I think the game couldn’t have been improved by just skipping from one base to the next is 1) that mission where you have go around and kill Soviet tanks, juggling your time and position and 2) the mission where you have to track down that guy while he moves through the big area between bases. Every other time it’s just those terrible “follow and listen to driver talking” tasks. Plus it’s all incredibly boring to look at. I’d take Skyrim any day as an area to walk through.

If Death Stranding will be the same then that’ll be bad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/davidbhayter/status/1006580149540700160?s=21
Snake is returning to Smash Bros with David Hayter voicing him.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NLKrPYYQt0

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 12, 2018

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Watching the peak, I'm incredibly intrigued at DS. But I really REALLY hope that Kojima doesn't pull a David Lynch and make the whole ordeal incomprehensible.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Watching the trailer (for the third time) I'm getting some serious Stalker (the movie) vibes from it. I guess I'm hooked.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://twitter.com/davidbhayter/status/1006580149540700160?s=21
Snake is returning to Smash Bros with David Hayter voicing him.
I am actually kind of surprised. I expected it to be Kiefer going forward.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nintendo isn't paying for Kiefer Sutherland. Not that he's worth it anyways.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kibayasu posted:

Nintendo isn't paying for Kiefer Sutherland. Not that he's worth it anyways.

I don’t think anyone cared except Kojima.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Yestermoment posted:

Watching the peak, I'm incredibly intrigued at DS. But I really REALLY hope that Kojima doesn't pull a David Lynch and make the whole ordeal incomprehensible.

I want the polar opposite.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Kiefer Sutherland is probably the apoptosis of why Konami got rid of Kojima: an incomprehensible expensive indulgence that nobody wanted and nobody liked and made no difference in the end

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

Exactly.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think it’s pretty funny that Kojima got all these known actors with their almost photorealistic likenesses scanned into the game but he couldn’t help but make Lindsay Wagner younger.

Following up on this.:lol:
https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1006673518392676352?s=21

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Once we know the true reason Lindsay Wagner was de-aged, we will be ashamed of our words and deeds.*

*its nanomachinrs

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 13, 2018

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Look Sir Droids posted:

Still no Death Stranding thread? I may have to Effort Post one...
Do we actually know what the gameplay is like yet?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Isn't a part of the plot something daft about aging and decay and stuff? I'm expecting something really hamfisted.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what a loving dork, but sorry, lol

*mysterious invisible force rapidly ages plants and humans until they die almost instantly* ugh why is this auteur playing with themes of the progression of time and aging in conceptually interesting and challenging ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Look, if you don't want to praise Kojima's obvious shoehorning of his digital masturbation material into a flagship game then I don't wanna know you.