Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I had to stop reading Transmetropolitan for a while after Trump got elected, that poo poo started hitting really close to home. It's a drat good series though and I'd love to see an adaptation of it someday.

Vanderdeath posted:

I don't think an adaptation of Transmetropolitan would work in this current political climate in America precisely because The Smiler got elected. I had to put it down during my re-read for the same reasons.

Smiler is a caricature of Blair and Clinton which makes this kind of sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I feel like this announcement was already made multiple times but whatever (I guess this is the official one):

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/28/17403266/zack-snyder-the-fountainhead-adaptation-ayn-rand

quote:

Zack Snyder has talked about working on an adaptation of Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead since 2016, but now the director is saying this project will be his next film.

Snyder responded to questions from fans on Vero, the social media site he often posts behind-the-scenes photos, about his current project. Snyder didn’t provide any more details, but his new comment confirms the project has been in development for years.

“I’ve always felt like The Fountainhead was such a thesis on the creative process and what it is to create something,” Snyder told The Hollywood Reporter in 2016. “Warner Bros. owns [Ayn Rand’s] script and I’ve just been working on that a little bit.”

Snyder’s announcement and continued endorsement of Rand’s controversial novel haven’t gone unnoticed. The Fountainhead, released in 1943, is about a young architect who refuses to constrain his visions just to appease other architects. His ideas are modernist and, despite the backlash he receives, the architect refuses to change his own beliefs just to fit in. The Fountainhead is, at its core, a book about the supposed struggles individuals have to go through and the godawful creative stifling that comes with conformity. (Hmm.)

That’s not entirely what makes it controversial, of course. Rand is accused of painting a world without any sympathetic characters and portraying female characters as less than men; not as able as their male counterparts, and existing just to serve mens needs. Critics have also accused Rand of treating rape like an insignificant detail; a rape occurs during the first encounter between Rand’s main protagonist, Howard Roark, and his partner, Dominique Francon.

It’s a problematic book, but it’s been adapted for film before. A 1949 film starring Gary Cooper managed to bring it to screen pretty adequately. But people have suggested that Snyder, best known for creating grim, bleak superhero movies with unlikable characters and subverted female roles, isn’t the best man for adapting The Fountainhead. As The A.V. Club said in 2016:

Of course, there is the possibility that Snyder doesn’t really care what Rand would’ve thought and he just thinks The Fountainhead is cool story about a guy who makes awesome skyscrapers. That’s about the same level of depth he brought to his Watchmen adaptation, his 300 adaptation, and all of his other movies, so maybe his Fountainhead will be less about celebrating a gross ideology and more about how badass it is to see a guy design buildings in slow-motion.

Snyder didn’t mention when the movie would be finished, but we’ve reached out to Warner Bros. for more information.

Looking "forward" to the inevitable slo-mo rape scene. :barf:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I saw Solo, I thought it was fine. The third act dragged and tried to introduce too many things and twists, Clarke was a nothing character, but pretty fun besides that. The biggest problem was this kid next to be squirming the whole time climbing on his mom and the metal railing in front of us. If I were that kid's father I would have... done nothing. Cause I am that kid's father.
I also got back from seeing it, and it was ok, but I have no clue what they are thinking with that certain sequel bait near the end.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FlamingLiberal posted:

I also got back from seeing it, and it was ok, but I have no clue what they are thinking with that certain sequel bait near the end.
Don't worry, it's never going to get a sequel with this kind of box office performance :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently the guy popped up seasons ago in the Rebels show so they could just continue that over there.

Or more likely you know that Lando movie they're talking about? Right there's your sequel.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Len posted:

Apparently the guy popped up seasons ago in the Rebels show so they could just continue that over there.

Or more likely you know that Lando movie they're talking about? Right there's your sequel.

He died in Rebels, which is now in its final season.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CelticPredator posted:

That kid probably had more fun dicking around on that rail than he did watching Solo.

He said Chewbacca is his favorite bad guy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The MSJ posted:

So it's not a sequel hook at all then and we know the rest of his story. So it's a thing for kids to go "oh dad/mom I know him!" And for adults to go "wtf he died back in episode 1! This movie is poo poo."

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

So it's not a sequel hook at all then and we know the rest of his story. So it's a thing for kids to go "oh dad/mom I know him!" And for adults to go "wtf he died back in episode 1! This movie is poo poo."

It was the Star Wars version of the Howard The Duck post credits scene from GOTG1.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

He said Chewbacca is his favorite bad guy

So when is he going to start writing thinkpieces for the AV Club?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The MSJ posted:

The show ended several weeks ago. The scene in question is absolutely a hook. Whether it's Solo part 2 or Darth Maul the movie or Obi-Wan Kenobi the movie or Boba Fett the movie. It could fit into any of those.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

AceOfFlames posted:

I feel like this announcement was already made multiple times but whatever (I guess this is the official one):

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/28/17403266/zack-snyder-the-fountainhead-adaptation-ayn-rand

Looking "forward" to the inevitable slo-mo rape scene. :barf:

Zack Snyder is smarter than to take all of that dumb Randian poo poo verbatim.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Waiting to see Objectivists and libertarians livid that Snyder ruins their precious scripture.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I've never read the book but going by the plot synopsis on Wikipedia I can't help but wonder if Snyder sees a bit of himself in the books protagonist (replace "awesome skyscrapers" with "DC Cinematic Universe").

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I've never read the book but going by the plot synopsis on Wikipedia I can't help but wonder if Snyder sees a bit of himself in the books protagonist (replace "awesome skyscrapers" with "DC Cinematic Universe").

He absolutely does and it's what drew him to wanting to adapt it at all. You can google any of the articles talking about it from IIRC 2016 and see a quote from him to that effect.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

DeimosRising posted:

Smiler is a caricature of Blair and Clinton which makes this kind of sad

Yeah, The Smiler is awful, but he's not awful in a Trumpish way. In modern terms, Romney (or Obama, depending on how charitable you feel) was much closer to a Smiler analogue.

In Transmet terms, Trump is like that Heller guy who holds the rally and yells about immigrants making GBS threads in American wombs.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The MSJ posted:

Waiting to see Objectivists and libertarians livid that Snyder ruins their precious scripture.

This might be a "Truffaut was right" situation.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

there's a really easy situation to modernize The Fountainhead and rob it of the worst of it's objectivist heart: set it modern day New York, turn the New York Banner into a cross between the Post and Breitbart, and turn its critic/villain into an objectivist. Have Roark use his "natural talent" and superiority not just for his own benefit but for the greater benefit of society, and switch the final two buildings; the building Roark ultimately blows up because his design was changed could be a Trump Tower-esque monument to grotesque capitalism and the "monument to human achievement," the Wynand Building, could be a public housing project. The idea of a "super man" using his inherent superiority for the public good despite critical parts of society grandstanding about whether or not it's right/good sounds awful familiar.

You could also totally piss everyone off by turning Howard Roark into a woman who also has to contend with the very un-objectivist (but very Randian) sexism that is inherent in industries that should supposedly be a meritocracy, and completely remove the weird psychosexual relationship between Roark, Dominique and the other men.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

This might be a "Truffaut was right" situation.

can you elaborate on what this means for a curious phillistine who doesn't want to dive into truffaut's beliefs to find out or w/e

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I would recommend About Buildings & Cities' two episodes (#13 and #14) on the Fountainhead if anyone wants to hear two architects go through the book and talk about how architecture is represented in the story, as well as talking about the book's politics in general. It's an interesting angle to approach it from.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

basic hitler posted:

can you elaborate on what this means for a curious phillistine who doesn't want to dive into truffaut's beliefs to find out or w/e

I assume Schwarzwald is referring to Truffaut's famous statement that "there's no such thing as an anti-war movie", because any visual depiction of combat will inevitably end up glorifying it. I'm not sure how this relates to The Fountainhead though, unless you want to argue that there's no way to satirise Objectivism without simultaneously putting it on a pedestal.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So about the rape in Fountainhead, I've never read it. Is it like something in the 1950s wouldn't have been considered rape but by any reasonable modern standard is super obviously rape?

Or is it completely unambiguous ending with "I, Ayn Rand, am a big fan of rape"

Cause I'd believe you either way

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

So about the rape in Fountainhead, I've never read it. Is it like something in the 1950s wouldn't have been considered rape but by any reasonable modern standard is super obviously rape?

Let me put it this way:

https://www.alternet.org/books/how-ayn-rand-became-big-admirer-serial-killer

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DC Murderverse posted:

Zack Snyder is smarter than to take all of that dumb Randian poo poo verbatim.

I guarantee you that he is not.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

I guarantee you that he is not.

Yeah maybe at some point he was and I like his stuff but willingly taking on The Fountainhead after 300/etc. were taken as 100% straight (and loved for it) is pretty harmful and just makes him seem like a dumbass.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of the only funny or interesting things about this forum is that a guy who writes like a flunking MFA student at a second tier state school convinced you all that Zach Snyder was some sort of left wing visionary.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I view him as apolitical.

People have just broken their brains and"thing I like" has to be "in my political side" and if thing is "thing I don't like" the person who made it is obviously a fascist.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

People have just broken their brains and"thing I like" has to be "in my political side" and if thing is "thing I don't like" the person who made it is obviously a fascist.

You are incredibly loving stupid.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nah. Maybe you should develop the ability to not be so emotionally invested in a filmmaker you have to make them either a villain or hero.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

As apolitical as the South Park guys maybe.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I thought Michael Bay was our resident social critic that everyone else takes completely seriously.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

I thought Michael Bay was our resident social critic that everyone else takes completely seriously.

Michael Bay has two beliefs: the military looks cool and being sweaty looks cool.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Making a film out of the fountainhead in this day and age seems like a super apolitical and neutral directorial move from noted good person Zach Snyder.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Also he's an idiot because they already made a movie about The Fountainhead called Dirty Dancing and it will always be a better take than whatever Snyder shits out.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Aren't passion projects usually allowed for directors who are at the top of their game? Not someone who had their last movie torn in half and redone by a replacement?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe giving him his project is cheaper than buying out his contract

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Aren't passion projects usually allowed for directors who are at the top of their game? Not someone who had their last movie torn in half and redone by a replacement?

IIRC from an interview a couple of years ago someone at WB brought it up with him first so it might be the pet project of some WB higher up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm pretty sure WB owns the rights.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I read it back in highschool, but I'm pretty sure it was the protagonist coming in and forcing himself on her in a way she doesn't consciously want and resists in the moment, but then afterwards becomes the love interest.

e: yeah looking up quotes she violently resists him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Maybe giving him his project is cheaper than buying out his contract

I wish it and his career all the success of the Atlas Shrugged trilogy