Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Anyone with experience using Tamiya extra thing plastic glue on gw models?
I have absolutely flush connections, but I'm 50/50 on actually getting a proper bond. Am I not using enough? I'm being super stingy with application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Immanentized posted:

I have absolutely flush connections, but I'm 50/50 on actually getting a proper bond. Am I not using enough? I'm being super stingy with application.

I've had good experiences with it, but I only use it on fine parts where I'm afraid of seepage and am over the top paranoid with clamping.

For most stuff, I use thick airplane glue.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Immanentized posted:

I've had no issues with it, and no, you shouldn't need much - the biggest difference from "regular" plastic cement is that, if possible, you'll want to hold the parts together before you apply the glue and let capillary action pull it into the join. It evaporates so fast, especially if you don't use much, that if you apply the glue and then put the pieces together you just might not have much glue left when things actually get put together and the solvent starts working.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Giant Ethicist posted:

I've had no issues with it, and no, you shouldn't need much - the biggest difference from "regular" plastic cement is that, if possible, you'll want to hold the parts together before you apply the glue and let capillary action pull it into the join. It evaporates so fast, especially if you don't use much, that if you apply the glue and then put the pieces together you just might not have much glue left when things actually get put together and the solvent starts working.

I think you posted about the capillary trick before, I might have to try that, thanks!

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Maneck posted:

It may be clear to you that Blood Angels aren't a <CHAPTER> per 131 of the Space Marine Codex, but I'm not seeing it. So help me out. The Designer Commentary explains that the reason why Blood Angels can't be a <REGIMENT> is because they're <ADEPTUS ASTRATES>. Just like everything in the Space Marines Codex. If there's another source, great, help me out. Trying to figure out what the rules are as a new player is a marathon.

Speaking of which:

Which FAQ should I look to? I used ctrl+f for stratagem to check the BIG FAQ, the Designer's commentary, the Space Marine FAQ and the Codex: Dark Angels FAQ. Don't see it. Is there another place I ought to look?

Edit: found it: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/warhammer_40000_rulebook_en-1.pdf

Now I know that the Designer's Commentary FAQ (which clarifies the rules) is not the same as the FAQ which clarifies the rule book.

It only took 4 people and 6 different FAQs. Thanks all. Except whoever decided to have different consolidated FAQs for the same set of rules.

You're getting your wires a bit crossed on this because these are two separate but related issues. Back when 8th came out a contingent of smug assholes were saying you could replace chapter/regiment /craftworld/whatever with "wu tang clan" and have everyone benefit from each others rules, then the designer commentary came out telling them to stop taking the piss and said that for whatever you change it to doesn't change the base keywords; <chapter>ultramarines is not <regiment>ultramarines and so on.

The related ruling was that eg: Blood angels and <chapter>Blood angels are also different keywords.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Artum posted:

You're getting your wires a bit crossed on this because these are two separate but related issues. Back when 8th came out a contingent of smug assholes were saying you could replace chapter/regiment /craftworld/whatever with "wu tang clan" and have everyone benefit from each others rules, then the designer commentary came out telling them to stop taking the piss and said that for whatever you change it to doesn't change the base keywords; <chapter>ultramarines is not <regiment>ultramarines and so on.

The related ruling was that eg: Blood angels and <chapter>Blood angels are also different keywords.

I may have my wires crossed, but I quoted what Chapter Approved says, which is this:

Blood Angels can't be a <REGIMENT> because they're <ADEPTUS ASTARTES>. The logical corollary thereto is that Blood Angels can be a <CHAPTER> because they're <ADEPTUS ASTARTES>.

I think I understand the point you're making. That GW doesn't want datasheet sharing. That makes logical sense. It just doesn't match the ruling they issued (unless the ruling is somewhere else, because lets have 20 different places to look to see if a rule changed).

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
just give it up man

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Have some Blanche.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Maneck posted:

I may have my wires crossed, but I quoted what Chapter Approved says, which is this:

Blood Angels can't be a <REGIMENT> because they're <ADEPTUS ASTARTES>. The logical corollary thereto is that Blood Angels can be a <CHAPTER> because they're <ADEPTUS ASTARTES>.

I think I understand the point you're making. That GW doesn't want datasheet sharing. That makes logical sense. It just doesn't match the ruling they issued (unless the ruling is somewhere else, because lets have 20 different places to look to see if a rule changed).

There's literally a part of the Blood Angels and Dark Angels codices that say "don't use the Adeptus Astartes Codex, they're too different".

I'm not sure what else you need man

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Maneck posted:

Blood angels can be a regiment but BLOOD ANGELS, renaming <REGIMENT> to BLOOD ANGELS and <CHAPTER> to BLOOD ANGELS are 3 different keywords that don't interact, thats what matters.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

The intent is pretty obvious. Blood Angels are space marines that don't use the default codex.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

just give it up man

Does the the screen cap show the relevant ruling? If so, I've got my answer.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I mean I guess if you want to take a detachment from Codex Space Marines, substitute Blood Angels for the Chapter Keyword, and pick one of the chapter traits to use as your Blood Angels, without access to Red Thirst, any special characters or units from the either the SM or BA book, or any chapter specific relics or stratagems, go right ahead.

You'd be an idiot to do it, but you've already demonstrated that.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Hopping in on keyword chat: the entry for epidermis says his buffs effect dudes with the NURGLE DAEMON keywords. Does that include friendly models outside of the codex, like the daemon engines in the death guard codex? How about units from chaos space marine codex that can take marks of nurgle, like obliterators and possessed?

I am fairly sure it's a yes, but I just wanted to check.

Maneck posted:

...Wow. Every day, we drift further from the grace of god(s).

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That one is fairly straightforward. Yes, it affects any (presumably friendly) unit with those keywords.

The only times things get stupid is when people try to call their fanon Chaos Legion the "Nurgle Daemons" and I'm pretty sure everyone here except Maneck knows that's loving idiotic.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Maneck posted:

a spectre is haunting Traditional Games, the spectre of grognards.txt

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Immanentized posted:

I think you posted about the capillary trick before, I might have to try that, thanks!

Yeah that’s the way it’s intended to work. I’m not surprised it’s not getting a good bond if you’re trying to brush it on and then join the parts, the stuff evaporates incredibly fast.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I mean I guess if you want to take a detachment from Codex Space Marines, substitute Blood Angels for the Chapter Keyword, and pick one of the chapter traits to use as your Blood Angels, without access to Red Thirst, any special characters or units from the either the SM or BA book, or any chapter specific relics or stratagems, go right ahead.

You'd be an idiot to do it, but you've already demonstrated that.

Non-grognards helped. I thank them for their patience.

You decided to be a jerk, while getting the rules wrong and missing the point. There's no restriction on taking (loyalist plus DA) Space Marines special characters in mixed Space Marine detachments. They have shared keywords beyond <IMPERIUM>.

Doing so affects Chapter tactics. Different Marine Forces in the same detachment means no Chapter Tactics.

Which brings us around to the (non-Flakk) point: can keyword <BLOOD ANGELS> be swapped for keyword <CHAPTER> as described at p. 131 of the Space Marine Codex? The result would be access to datasheets not included in the Blood Angels codex while maintaining all <BLOOD ANGELS> detachments. So they get Chapter Tactics. Wargear is tied to the Warlord, so again I'm not sure what Slowpoke's getting at.

Strobe posted:

The only times things get stupid is when people try to call their fanon Chaos Legion the "Nurgle Daemons" and I'm pretty sure everyone here except Maneck knows that's loving idiotic.

Atrum helpful explained there's two different issues. Issue a) (my issue) was keywords set by Games Workshop being used to replace <PLACEHOLDER>, where Games Workshop always intended that would happen but didn't want it to happen in certain ways. Probably.

Issue b) was people naming their army Nurgle and claiming they benefit from [NURGLE]. Which you're ripping me for, but responding to your post is the first time I mentioned it. Huh?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It takes me forever to paint holy poo poo. I wrote down a batch painting plan for these guys but then I just start randomly painting and forget what I'm doing... Next three I'll get it right...

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

JBP posted:

It takes me forever to paint holy poo poo. I wrote down a batch painting plan for these guys but then I just start randomly painting and forget what I'm doing... Next three I'll get it right...

Did you achieve that shadowing with just a wash?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Maneck posted:

Did you achieve that shadowing with just a wash?

Pretty much. Prime grey, then game air dark grey and wolf grey. Nuln oil. Paint panels and poo poo again in wolf grey. Hit again with nuln oil where I've made an error or whatever. Highlight wolf grey/white then some little touches of white.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 29, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Maneck posted:

Which brings us around to the (non-Flakk) point: can keyword <BLOOD ANGELS> be swapped for keyword <CHAPTER> as described at p. 131 of the Space Marine Codex? The result would be access to datasheets not included in the Blood Angels codex while maintaining all <BLOOD ANGELS> detachments. So they get Chapter Tactics. Wargear is tied to the Warlord, so again I'm not sure what Slowpoke's getting at.

Look, I'm trying to be as reasonable as I can here but this line of logic is the kind of thing that isn't going to win you any friends. Blood Angel units use the Blood Angel codex. If it's not in the Blood Angel codex then you can't use it. I would love to field a Gravis Captain in my Deathwatch army, but the Deathwatch codex doesn't include one so it's out. No amount of rules lawyering or clever interpretations is going to change that. 40K is an incredibly complex game written by a bunch of developers who have repeatedly shown more interest in creating a narrative experience than a tightly designed, competitive rules set. If you want to field a unit of Blood Angel whatever then arrange an Open Play game or whatever the unlimited version is called.

The answer to your question is no. Blood Angels use the Blood Angel codex, not the Space Marine codex.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Maneck posted:

I refuse to listen

Blood Angels specifically use the Blood Angel Codex, they can't use rules from the Space Marine Codex for Blood Angels units.

You can't just say Space Marine Codex units have the Blood Angels Chapter keyword.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Flakk missile stratagem isn’t even that great.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Maneck posted:

Non-grognards helped. I thank them for their patience.

You decided to be a jerk, while getting the rules wrong and missing the point. There's no restriction on taking (loyalist plus DA) Space Marines special characters in mixed Space Marine detachments. They have shared keywords beyond <IMPERIUM>.

I understand why you couldn't understand what I was saying, because what I was explaining (and what you want to do) was illogical.

You want to take Blood Angels as your chapter keyword out of the Space Marines codex. The Space Marine codex Very Explicitly says that you can't use this to use Blood Angels or any other codex rules. This means your dumbass chapter is just Blood Angels in name only. Because there's no Codex Space Marines chapter Blood Angels special and characters in the Codex Space Marines, you can't take any.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Badablack posted:

Flakk missile stratagem isn’t even that great.

Even after the change where a cherub makes two for 1 cp?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Look, I'm trying to be as reasonable as I can here but this line of logic is the kind of thing that isn't going to win you any friends. Blood Angel units use the Blood Angel codex. If it's not in the Blood Angel codex then you can't use it.

Absolutely. There was never an issue of this being anything but an abuse.

I asked for help on whether two points are actually an issue with the rules, versus my understanding. In the end, I was clearly wrong on one and probably wrong on the other.

People are never shy about offering opinions on SA, which means pushing back is necessary to get a correct answer. But push back is dangerous, it invites a dog piling. Especially in this thread.

I definitely did not get the balance right tonight.

I apologize.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I understand why you couldn't understand what I was saying, because what I was explaining (and what you want to do) was illogical.

You want to take Blood Angels as your chapter keyword out of the Space Marines codex. The Space Marine codex Very Explicitly says that you can't use this to use Blood Angels or any other codex rules. This means your dumbass chapter is just Blood Angels in name only. Because there's no Codex Space Marines chapter Blood Angels special and characters in the Codex Space Marines, you can't take any.

I was willing to drop it. I am dropping it.

You've got a problem.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

JBP posted:

Some sexy rear end models my friend

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Maneck posted:

I was willing to drop it. I am dropping it.

You've got a problem.

Nice new av dude

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Corrode posted:

Nice new av dude

Seems we have the same fan.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Maneck posted:

Seems we have the same fan.

I'd love to know what ham is haunting these threads with :10bux: spare at all times

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Given the hobby itself is full of Whales, and SA lets you talk topics in nice anonymity, it's highly likely of all threads on here that someone (and I ain't hunting) is seriously, either famously or independently :homebrew: in the extreme, and can do this forever just for fun.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

JBP posted:

These guys are fully sick. I’ve definitely got a thing for marine colour schemes that have small individual changes/details.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Shockeh posted:

Given the hobby itself is full of Whales, and SA lets you talk topics in nice anonymity, it's highly likely of all threads on here that someone (and I ain't hunting) is seriously, either famously or independently :homebrew: in the extreme, and can do this forever just for fun.

It's the ghost of Robin Williams

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I don’t like flakk missiles because that’s taking away the big advantage of things like missiles, Lascannons and meltaguns; that oh poo poo moment when they roll 5’s and 6’s for damage and utterly ruin something’s day. Yeah the stratagem is steady dependable damage, but it’s really only great when it’s a flyer with a couple wounds left that has to die right now.

Alright, list time:

Deathwatch Watchmaster
3x Primaris Watch Captains
Primaris Librarian
Chaplain Dreadnought with twin lascannon and fist
9x squads of 5 Intercessors with power sword and bolt rifles
Assorted Hellblasters and Inceptors in each squad.

3 battalions of Deathwatch, because gently caress guardsmen. I feel like special bolter ammo and rerolling hits/wounds, can make up for a lack of antitank. I’ve got nothing for enemy antitank to hit, the Dreadnought is a character. So 1-damage stuff has to chew through 10-20 wounds a squad and D6-damage stuff is wasted. 30 inch range on most everything so I can outrange lots of armies. Just not sure what composition of extra guys to put in each squad for maximum efficiency.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Corrode posted:

It's the ghost of Robin Williams

:ms:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I hope arch Warhammer quits playing this game along with all of his stupid gurning type.

JBP fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 29, 2018

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

JBP posted:

I hope arch Warhammer quits plating this game along with all of his stupid gurning type.

I hope he is cast into a volcano along with the other racists and incels who've come in and decided this hobby should be no women and minorities allowed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Thundercloud posted:

I hope he is cast into a volcano along with the other racists and incels who've come in and decided this hobby should be no women and minorities allowed.

I don't know what happened but I must have clicked on the wrong YouTube and now it's nothing but Arch Warhammer et al and TLJ takedowns loving kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Badablack posted:

Alright, list time:

Deathwatch Watchmaster
3x Primaris Watch Captains
Primaris Librarian
Chaplain Dreadnought with twin lascannon and fist
9x squads of 5 Intercessors with power sword and bolt rifles
Assorted Hellblasters and Inceptors in each squad.

3 battalions of Deathwatch, because gently caress guardsmen. I feel like special bolter ammo and rerolling hits/wounds, can make up for a lack of antitank. I’ve got nothing for enemy antitank to hit, the Dreadnought is a character. So 1-damage stuff has to chew through 10-20 wounds a squad and D6-damage stuff is wasted. 30 inch range on most everything so I can outrange lots of armies. Just not sure what composition of extra guys to put in each squad for maximum efficiency.

Wait how are you choosing Chaplain Dreads?
apart from that I am also keen on running at least 2 battalions of Deathwatch because I love primaris models and having them be useful is so nice.