Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
man it really sucks that neolibs/neocons have learned the word tankie and are applying it to literally anyone against american imperialism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kanine posted:

man it really sucks that neolibs/neocons have learned the word tankie and are applying it to literally anyone against american imperialism

Yeah, I've noticed this a lot; there are only like 2 or 3 (if that) actual tankies I can think of on these forums, but some people are acting like anyone who isn't 100% constantly supportive of all condemnation and aggressive action against certain nations (mainly Syria and Russia) is some crazy tankie.

My personal theory is that a certain type of liberal really enjoys being able to establish themselves as being "not far left," because disagreeing with people "on both sides" makes them feel like more reasonable people who come to conclusions based on "the facts."

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I think intervening would have been the right decision in many respects. I also think not intervening in a more substantial way was the right decision. Somehow both these views seem entirely valid to me. Syria is about the most complicated quagmiriest potential quagmire imaginable and it's hard to conceive of any way whatsoever that intervention would not expand into a massive, terrible, drawn out affair. Simultaneously the brutality of the Assad Regime (and of the other factions involved and especially ISIS) was such that it was a moral failing to not do more to push back.

In realistic terms who the gently caress knows how any intervention could have succeeded, it's just way too many layers of hypotheticals. From a moral standpoint, though, the situation is a lot easier to analyze: the innocent people of Syria (and Iraq) were failed by the global community's inaction.

I don't think this makes sense at all. Sometimes there are situations that you just can't solve through having another nation bomb people, and acknowledging that isn't somehow immoral. There's no moral obligation to take action when it's unlikely the action in question will actually have positive effects (and quite possible it'll make things worse). Even if you believe (as Volkerball obviously does) that a hypothetical helpful intervention was possible, I don't think it's reasonable to expect any actual intervention to proceed in this manner.

If you're concerned about inaction, it makes sense to be upset about things like the massive amount of wealth held by the global wealth not being used to help people in need, because that's a situation where the action (giving money/goods to people in in need) is a directly good thing. Bombing Syria wouldn't be directly good in this way; it would basically be an inherently negative thing done in the hopes of a positive outcome.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 28, 2018

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I've noticed this a lot; there are only like 2 or 3 (if that) actual tankies I can think of on these forums, but some people are acting like anyone who isn't 100% constantly supportive of all condemnation and aggressive action against certain nations (mainly Syria and Russia) is some crazy tankie.

its also hilarious how much they tend to prove their lack of understanding of the term after calling me a tankie when ive made it very clear im an anarchist. like holy poo poo the term was invented by anarchists/leftcoms

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Anarchism is a toy ideology best kept in the bin with monarchy. Don't even try to pretend to be serious.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fishmech posted:

Anarchism is a toy ideology best kept in the bin with monarchy. Don't even try to pretend to be serious.

better the trashbag ideology than nothing at all

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Kanine posted:

It's kinda funny.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Russia is now the defacto head of bourgeois repression now however.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

fishmech posted:

:ironicat:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Blut posted:

Wouldn't the alternative to that, not paying the militiamen, be worse? The demobilization of large numbers of Iraqi soldiers after the American invasion there is usually credited with providing a large pool of unemployed, trained, young men for extremists to recruit.

I believe this was part of what motivated the policy. However the situations were very different. Former members of the Iraqi army had plenty of reason the resent the occupation government even before they were all fired, while throwing away its centralized bureaucracy meant sacrificing the ability to direct and control it's soldiers.

By contrast Libya's militias had no centralized organization. The Libyan government just started sending a monthly subsidy to every self-proclaimed revolutionary battalion. The result was that in the year following Ghadaffi's death when the civil war was ostensibly over, the number of armed groups and men actually increased. Anyone could buy a rifle and demand a government salary. The Libyan state had created a perverse incentive for Libya's many unemployed young men to start arming and mobilizing themselves en masse

Once the government started subsidies t became almost impossible to reign the armed groups in. WIthout any kind of hierarchy groups ran rampant. If the government didn't pay up they resorted to extortion and shakedowns at pop-up checkpoints.

I'm just paraphrasing the first third of Wehrey's book here so I'm not really producing any original or critical thought. I'll probably report back once I've finished it. From what I've read so far though I'd recommend it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lollontee posted:

better the trashbag ideology than nothing at all

Not really, no.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Another rocket attack in Israel, lots of roket attacm alarms blaring. Sky lit up twice.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Syria got the rotating presidency of the UN Conference on Disarmament

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sergg posted:

Syria got the rotating presidency of the UN Conference on Disarmament
Now this is a middle east thread by the previous thread standart :smithicide:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

To be fair, the Syria is doing a lot to clear out their weapons stockpiles.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Q0KBgaRS4
Sham Legion in action against US backed terrorists YPG.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

Now this is a middle east thread by the previous thread standart :smithicide:

to be fair, the presidency rotates every month. Still, though.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Squalid posted:

I believe this was part of what motivated the policy. However the situations were very different. Former members of the Iraqi army had plenty of reason the resent the occupation government even before they were all fired, while throwing away its centralized bureaucracy meant sacrificing the ability to direct and control it's soldiers.

By contrast Libya's militias had no centralized organization. The Libyan government just started sending a monthly subsidy to every self-proclaimed revolutionary battalion. The result was that in the year following Ghadaffi's death when the civil war was ostensibly over, the number of armed groups and men actually increased. Anyone could buy a rifle and demand a government salary. The Libyan state had created a perverse incentive for Libya's many unemployed young men to start arming and mobilizing themselves en masse

Once the government started subsidies t became almost impossible to reign the armed groups in. WIthout any kind of hierarchy groups ran rampant. If the government didn't pay up they resorted to extortion and shakedowns at pop-up checkpoints.

I'm just paraphrasing the first third of Wehrey's book here so I'm not really producing any original or critical thought. I'll probably report back once I've finished it. From what I've read so far though I'd recommend it.

Ah. It sounds like the best solution then would have been in the middle, between the two approaches. If the new Libyan government had only paid the pre-existing soldiers/militia a salary it might have helped prevent them being used for other purposes. But it would also not have encouraged a rapid expansion in their numbers the way offering to pay anyone did.

Valuable lessons for the next Middle-Eastern country to be torn down by the West and left to its own devices to build itself back up again I guess.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Huh, the unrecognized nations club just got slightly less unrecognized:
http://agenda.ge/news/101503/eng

quote:

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Syria has released an official statement regarding the recognition of occupied Abkhazia and Tskhinvali regions.

Expressing gratitude for the support during the terrorist aggression against Syria, the Syrian Arab Republic has decided to establish diplomatic relations with the republics of Abkhazia and South Ossetia,” the Syrian foreign ministry said.

The official statement also reads that the diplomatic ties will be established at the embassy level.

Georgia's Minister of Foreign Affairs Mikheil Janelidze wrote on his official Twitter channel that recognition of independence of Georgia's historic regions is "blatant violation of international law".
https://twitter.com/JanelidzeMkh/status/1001415340390277120

quote:

Recognition of independence of historic regions of Georgia, Abkhazia and Tskhinvali (South Osetia), by Russian manipulated Assad regime in Syria, is another blatant violation of Int Law by Assad and should be condemned by the int community

Georgia is pissed, as you would obviously expect them to be:
https://twitter.com/alexkokcharov/status/1001432748349972481

quote:

#Georgia began the procedure of terminating diplomatic relations with #Syria due to Damascus' today's recognition of "independence" of 2 Georgian breakaway regions under #Russia|n military occupation

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Georgia should just recognize Rojava as an independent nation

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

A Typical Goon posted:

Georgia should just recognize Rojava as an independent nation

They share a border with Turkey, and obviously already face a hostile northern neighbor, so that sounds like a bad idea. Recognizing israel's annexation of Golan would be a more interesting troll.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 30, 2018

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Blut posted:

Ah. It sounds like the best solution then would have been in the middle, between the two approaches. If the new Libyan government had only paid the pre-existing soldiers/militia a salary it might have helped prevent them being used for other purposes. But it would also not have encouraged a rapid expansion in their numbers the way offering to pay anyone did.

Valuable lessons for the next Middle-Eastern country to be torn down by the West and left to its own devices to build itself back up again I guess.

"do not give your weapons up when the Americans ask" is mostly the lesson tbh

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ze Pollack posted:

I'd have gone for "don't promise to bathe your cities in rivers of blood" but that's just me tbh

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

I'd have gone for "don't promise to bathe your cities in rivers of blood" but that's just me tbh

did the Saudis say "flood" instead of "bathe" about Yemen, and that's why it's okay for us to help them murder them all

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Yup, that really forced everyone to “do something”. This is the second time you have said this. If you think that some hyperbolic language is enough to destroy a country, eat poo poo. It’s an excuse to destroy an enemy of the west, you are ok with that, we know.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

We should have taken Qaddafi seriously, not literally!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gen. Ripper posted:

We should have taken Qaddafi seriously, not literally!

The British parliamentary report basically said that, and admitted they knew he was being hyperbolic when they used it as a justification for war.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it is necessary for the US to act swiftly and decisively against state sponsors of middle eastern terror, and as a result Petraeus and McChrystal will need to be sodomized to death with bayonets

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Ze Pollack posted:

it is necessary for the US to act swiftly and decisively against state sponsors of middle eastern terror, and as a result Petraeus and McChrystal will need to be sodomized to death with bayonets
Gladly.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yes this man who is currently ordering jets and helicopter gunships to bomb protesters is not speaking literally about his intentions to kill as many protesters as possible.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yes this man who is currently ordering jets and helicopter gunships to bomb protesters is not speaking literally about his intentions to kill as many protesters as possible.

It was well after the protests had already been put down, and it was instead about putting down the rebellion.

Its a government report, so they're not nearly as glib as the thread is. Its worth a glance through:
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201617/cmselect/cmfaff/119/119.pdf

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

sorry, didn't you hear, Vision 2020. he's a Reformer now.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Ze Pollack posted:

sorry, didn't you hear, Vision 2020. he's a Reformer now.

I agree, MBS is a bastard and the world would be a better place if he was guillotined tomorrow.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Gen. Ripper posted:

I agree, MBS is a bastard and the world would be a better place if he was guillotined tomorrow.

it is deeply hilarious that there are precisely two states in the Middle East where you can make a compelling case that whatever arose from a bloody regime change would be better than what was there before, and both of them are diehard US allies

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ze Pollack posted:

it is deeply hilarious that there are precisely two states in the Middle East where you can make a compelling case that whatever arose from a bloody regime change would be better than what was there before, and both of them are diehard US allies

If we're talking about Saudi Arabia overthrowing their current government would probably just lead to a crazed Islamist movement a la ISIS, but probably way, way worse considering it's proximity to the Holy cities and the importance of Saudi Arabia's oil to the world's economy.

People seem to forget that the SA regime is a horrible hardline nightmare not just for the crack of it but because they have to pacify the powerful Wahhabi fundamentalists within the country who aren't actually that fond of the monarchy and are perfectly willing to cause trouble if they don't get their dues.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

khwarezm posted:

If we're talking about Saudi Arabia overthrowing their current government would probably just lead to a crazed Islamist movement a la ISIS, but probably way, way worse considering it's proximity to the Holy cities and the importance of Saudi Arabia's oil to the world's economy.

People seem to forget that the SA regime is a horrible hardline nightmare not just for the crack of it but because they have to pacify the powerful Wahhabi fundamentalists within the country who aren't actually that fond of the monarchy and are perfectly willing to cause trouble if they don't get their dues.

they are also the single largest funding source for those fundamentalists, soooo

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ze Pollack posted:

they are also the single largest funding source for those fundamentalists, soooo

In our hypothetical scenario where somebody overthrows the government of Saudi Arabia and the country almost inevitably descends into chaos since it's incredibly obvious to everybody that there are horrendous divisions nanometers underneath the surface along with a near lack of civil society and democratic institutions or really any institutions not totally beholden to the monarchy that might have made it possible to transition to something workable, what do you think will happen exactly?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

khwarezm posted:

In our hypothetical scenario where somebody overthrows the government of Saudi Arabia and the country almost inevitably descends into chaos since it's incredibly obvious to everybody that there are horrendous divisions nanometers underneath the surface along with a near lack of civil society and democratic institutions or really any institutions not totally beholden to the monarchy that might have made it possible to transition to something workable, what do you think will happen exactly?

See, but then they wouldn’t be our allies.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

khwarezm posted:

the creation of a government the US is no longer obliged to rubberstamp in mass murdering civilians and exporting terror across the middle east.

even the most nightmarish theocratic regime that could result from that whole shitshow becomes FAR less dangerous to the world without a blank check for mass murder signed by uncle sam

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ze Pollack posted:

Ah yes, Libya would totally still be under Gaddaffi's hand today with chemical weapons and - sorry I've just been informed that gassing your civilians doesn't actually keep foreign bombing sorties from functioning. Weird how that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ze Pollack posted:

the creation of a government the US is no longer obliged to rubberstamp in mass murdering civilians and exporting terror across the middle east.

even the most nightmarish theocratic regime that could result from that whole shitshow becomes FAR less dangerous to the world without a blank check for mass murder signed by uncle sam

....the USA isn't obliged to rubberstamp the current government, they do so for a variety of cynical geopolitical and business interests and it's highly doubtful that any of that would actually change if the current regime was gotten rid of. Violently overthrowing the current day regime (something you say could be a net good) would almost certainly just make everything worse and throw the whole Arabian peninsula into chaos, which itself would have gigantic reverberations considering the importance of Saudia Arabia not just in the Middle East but the whole world.