Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I am so pissed right now.

I'm towards the end of the non-DLC shrines on Master Mode. I went off to Eventide Island. I went over to the Hynox sphere and placed it nearby no problem.

I climbed up to the top of the plateau to work over the highest-placed sphere, and then I started having a problem. A loving Moblin took the sphere and chucked it in my general direction, sending it off the cliff and down to the Bokoblin treehouse!

So what the gently caress did I do? I took that Moblin-chucked sphere from the top of Eventide and ran my happy rear end to the sphere platform at the northern tip of Eventide.

Now even when I quit & restart Eventide, the only sphere that respawns is the one at the Bokoblin treehouse. I have no loving clue how to get it to the top of Eventide. Even Octorok Balloons can't get it high enough fast enough. I am so hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Can you use stasis and smack it up there?

An arrow at the last second gives you really nice control over the trajectory.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There is no point nearby that's close enough where even a fully powered (deep-red arrow) stasis launch can get it up top. It's infuriating.

I am able to maneuver to a tiny green hill that's close to the top. I think I'm going to have to try octo-balloons to get height and then stasis + arrows to knock it over.

Hopefully I can cobble together enough arrows on my 3rd attempt.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

ProjektorBoy posted:

There is no point nearby that's close enough where even a fully powered (deep-red arrow) stasis launch can get it up top. It's infuriating.

I am able to maneuver to a tiny green hill that's close to the top. I think I'm going to have to try octo-balloons to get height and then stasis + arrows to knock it over.

Hopefully I can cobble together enough arrows on my 3rd attempt.

However you solve it, make sure to share a video.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So my hypothesis was correct.

I was so pissed that I cheesed my way to the remaining sphere with a Dragon-part-infused Banana meal and tossed some weapons to help kill things.

I may have to make a separate video showing how I zig-zagged my way up to that spot while carrying the sphere. The trial-and-error on that was not pretty.

Overall Eventide probably cost me like, 5 hours because of my gaffe.

https://twitter.com/manicsocratic/status/1001129021550223360

Edit: Here's how I weaved my way up the hill to even get to a convenient spot where the Octoballoons could survive long enough to attain the correct height.

https://twitter.com/manicsocratic/status/1001137857145131008

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 28, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ProjektorBoy posted:

I was so pissed that I cheesed my way to the remaining sphere with a Dragon-part-infused Banana meal and tossed some weapons to help kill things.

I may have to make a separate video showing how I zig-zagged my way up to that spot while carrying the sphere. The trial-and-error on that was not pretty.

Edit: Here's how I weaved my way up the hill to even get to a convenient spot where the Octoballoons could survive long enough to attain the correct height.

It's beautiful

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ProjektorBoy posted:

The fact that any of this workaround was possible in the first place is why I love this game so loving much

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I remember the grand majority of the game on WiiU, but I'm still tempted to re-buy it on the Switch. :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I remember the grand majority of the game on WiiU, but I'm still tempted to re-buy it on the Switch. :negative:

I did. Don't regret it. I was gonna play it again anyway :v:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

https://twitter.com/mandamushero/status/1001274369170063360?s=21

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Finished up the DLC besides all the cosmetic stuff. I liked it, though the rereading and reuse probably comes off worse right at the tail end of a playthrough versus coming back after over a year, so I get some of the disappointment I remember seeing.

The sword trials were neat and provided a good amount of room for creativity despite being a bunch of boxed rooms, and all the new Ballad shrines were really cool and provided the more complex content the maingame was really lacking. Hope they have some on that level by default next time.

Only things I disliked were the Obliterator section (I don't hate the idea, but one hit is way too low in a game where that means sent back to load over an offscreen pebble, physics object, or a wandering bat unrelated to the actual camp) and the themed loadouts for the refights being so stingy, since limiting you to something like one weapon or five arrows and no shield just results in you chumping them with champion abilities anyway.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Fun story, the first time I encountered a snowy area, i went through it entirely holding a torch, occasionally dropping it to fight, then running back to a fire, lighting it and running back.

Then an NPC is all "you look cold, wear this".

Then I find out i'm not meant to go up there until I have said clothes and i've just skipped a bunch of things. And they coded for it!

This game was a treasure.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

If you're referring to the bit in the Plateau, that's more or less intended. I always get that comfy doublet as soon as I can.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's two or three ways to get that shirt.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

There're, I believe, three ways to get that doublet. 1) on the peak, 2) make him the meal his diary talks about, 3) in the cabin after you get main quest. Also you can buy another one somewhere. The attention to detail was so cool.

I loved how all the zora armor was from quests instead of being purchased, but it made me want every other piece of armor able to be obtained that way too. I manage to get to get the rock sirloin for that dude? He gives me a Flamebreaker Helmet. Bring the molduga guts to that woman? She gives me her husband's male gerudo shirt. Obviously you could still purchase them if you wanted.

Speaking of the gerudo stuff, I was disappointed the tarrey town merchant's prices were the same as the ones in the Gerudo Secret Club. I was hoping for a discount.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Three. there's three ways. You can get it from the mountaintop, from doing the old man's quest, or from his cabin once you get the paraglider.

E: well, gently caress

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The game is so tightly packed with examples like this that I’m already planning on how to do my master mode playthrough.

It helps that I’ve seen ways to manipulate the physics by people way smarter than myself. :v:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Amppelix posted:

Three. there's three ways. You can get it from the mountaintop, from doing the old man's quest, or from his cabin once you get the paraglider.

E: well, gently caress
Or buy it in Hateno if you manage to miss all those.

Not to mention that you can do the snowy bit without it using a torch, meals with peppers or elixirs from the summerwing butterflies on the plateau. And probably a ton of other methods I haven't thought of.

mastajake posted:

I loved how all the zora armor was from quests instead of being purchased, but it made me want every other piece of armor able to be obtained that way too. I manage to get to get the rock sirloin for that dude? He gives me a Flamebreaker Helmet. Bring the molduga guts to that woman? She gives me her husband's male gerudo shirt. Obviously you could still purchase them if you wanted.

The Tarrey Town special armor guy almost does that - the one who sells replacement Hylian Shields after you've found it. If you've got one piece of the barbarian, climber or rubber sets he'll sell you the others, so you've got the option of completing the set without having to find the other pieces.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Runcible Cat posted:

Not to mention that you can do the snowy bit without it using a torch, meals with peppers or elixirs from the summerwing butterflies on the plateau. And probably a ton of other methods I haven't thought of.

healing through the pain with mushrooms and herbs

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, the snowy plateau is great. It's where they stop holding your hand and you have to pretty much figure it out yourself... and as mentioned, there's several ways to do it.

I just wish cooking was explained a bit better.... I don't think it ever actually says at any point in the game that you have to find a cooking pot and somehow ignite the firewood under it. I kept trying to take my ingredients and just throw them into a moblin campfire.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Backhand posted:

Yeah, the snowy plateau is great. It's where they stop holding your hand and you have to pretty much figure it out yourself... and as mentioned, there's several ways to do it.

I just wish cooking was explained a bit better.... I don't think it ever actually says at any point in the game that you have to find a cooking pot and somehow ignite the firewood under it. I kept trying to take my ingredients and just throw them into a moblin campfire.

I'm pretty sure the old guy explained it to me when I found the pot in the woods.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I faffed around for hours trying to figure out the old dude's recipe. I found the journal in his hut, so I knew what to do. I just had a devil of a time actually doing it.

First you need meat. OK cool, hey wild boars are made of meat! I can shoot some of the- wait come back! Stop running away! Grr need to find more wild boars!

I'd rarely run across them and they kept running away. That's how I learned to stealth. Eventually.

Then you need the peppers. Well I found some in the old dude's hut, but I couln't figure out the last part of the recipe. I tried a few things like mushrooms and stuff... which did give me cold resist food so I could have just gone to the last shrine at that point but nooooo I wanted to do it right, drat IT! So that was several more hours wandering around looking for more hot peppers. I missed the patch nearish the Temple of Time somehow... I have the worst sense of direction on the face of the planet and just end up wandering around in circles completely lost. That was how I played this game. I found them hundreds of hours later and thought GODDAMN IT. Found my way to the Bokoblin camp in the tree near the third Shrine. There were peppers there! I still sucked at combat so I faffed around trying to grab the peppers without dying.

And then eventually I figured out the guy needed fish. I hadn't yet cottoned onto the redneck fishing: Hyrule style, so I swam around mashing A until I caught one.

Then huzzah! I cooked the old dude his recipe and got my warm clothes. I felt so proud. All in all that was several days worth of play sessions just to get off the Great Plateau, but that was just me being me.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Silver Falcon posted:

I faffed around for hours trying to figure out the old dude's recipe. I found the journal in his hut, so I knew what to do. I just had a devil of a time actually doing it.

First you need meat. OK cool, hey wild boars are made of meat! I can shoot some of the- wait come back! Stop running away! Grr need to find more wild boars!

I'd rarely run across them and they kept running away. That's how I learned to stealth. Eventually.

Then you need the peppers. Well I found some in the old dude's hut, but I couln't figure out the last part of the recipe. I tried a few things like mushrooms and stuff... which did give me cold resist food so I could have just gone to the last shrine at that point but nooooo I wanted to do it right, drat IT! So that was several more hours wandering around looking for more hot peppers. I missed the patch nearish the Temple of Time somehow... I have the worst sense of direction on the face of the planet and just end up wandering around in circles completely lost. That was how I played this game. I found them hundreds of hours later and thought GODDAMN IT. Found my way to the Bokoblin camp in the tree near the third Shrine. There were peppers there! I still sucked at combat so I faffed around trying to grab the peppers without dying.

And then eventually I figured out the guy needed fish. I hadn't yet cottoned onto the redneck fishing: Hyrule style, so I swam around mashing A until I caught one.

Then huzzah! I cooked the old dude his recipe and got my warm clothes. I felt so proud. All in all that was several days worth of play sessions just to get off the Great Plateau, but that was just me being me.

Reading posts like this make me happy :3:

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I want to thank whoever suggested playing this game with the "pro" HUD that only shows your hearts on the main screen. It is so much more immersive and leads me to explore more based on landmarks and what I can see from towers. I think I turned it on immediately after leaving the Great Plateau and have not looked back since.

My kids still play with the default HUD and it is so jarring to see all of that extra info on the screen when you are used to having it all hidden.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Got a switch and this game for my birthday about a week ago and I've been stupidly hooked. Been reading way back in the thread around when the game came out to experience all the hype and bright-eyed love everyone had on launch as if I'm not like over a year late to the party. I've put a stupid amount of hours into this game as it is. I've done a lot, mapped the whole land, done 3 Divine Beasts (Rito, Zora, and Gerudo) and discovered a lot of poo poo but it still feels like I've barely even scratched the surface of all the crap in this game. I love it so much.

Also Urbosa gives the gay man some very strong straight thoughts. I love Gerudo Mom.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

So far my favorite part of this game was using all of my arrows to pop the eyes on that dragon (5 arrows to start with because I use arrows way too much) and so when it told me to shoot the dragon for my reward I hucked a sword at it instead. Thank God that still worked.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

So far my favorite part of this game was using all of my arrows to pop the eyes on that dragon (5 arrows to start with because I use arrows way too much) and so when it told me to shoot the dragon for my reward I hucked a sword at it instead. Thank God that still worked.

hahahaha mother fucker

first time i did that quest i used my last literal arrow to bring it down only to be told the same. i didn't think of that so i had to go back to town to buy more then trek all the way back up. with 5 hearts and no cold gear because im dumb as hell.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Also Urbosa gives the gay man some very strong straight thoughts.

Sidon is the same experience for straight men.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

ROFL Octopus posted:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:vince:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Every zelda game ever I've used a walkthrough to beat, but this is my first game I haven't. I've been having a ton of fun so far, and it's always satisfying to find the solutions on my own. But I'm reaching the point where I can find fewer and fewer shrines, and the temptation to look up a FAQ or walkthrough is insane.

Mostly I'm pissed off because I need a scale and two horns from Farosh (That IS the one around the lake, right?) and the motherfucker won't show up for me. I saw him come out of the lake once at like, 4:00 am and then a drat blood moon showed up which despawned him. I tried waiting 24 hours and at 4:00 am... he did not come out of the lake. It's obnoxious because waiting until morning puts the time at 5 AM and he's nowhere to be seen. There's probably a trick here I don't know.

Maybe I should just go do the other 3 divine beasts I haven't done, but I heard the enemies around the world get stronger when you do so I'm reluctant to do it just yet. First I want to get a lot more shrines, get more hearts, and do the master sword trials. I tried the first one, the beginner one, and did fine until I met the first black bokoblin which one-shot me at level 10, while I had 11 hearts left. Not having armor is a BITCH.

khy fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 31, 2018

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

khy posted:

Mostly I'm pissed off because I need a scale and two horns from Farosh (That IS the one around the lake, right?) and the motherfucker won't show up for me. I saw him come out of the lake once at like, 4:00 am and then a drat blood moon showed up which despawned him. I tried waiting 24 hours and at 4:00 am... he did not come out of the lake. It's obnoxious because waiting until morning puts the time at 5 AM and he's nowhere to be seen. There's probably a trick here I don't know.

I've had Farosh stop spawning for me as well. What fixed it for me was running toward the back of that cave past where those lighting keese are. If I do it in the morning the updraft will kick on and he'll start spawning every morning again. Apparently is has something to do with getting too close to his spawn point. Walking up through that cave resets him because you're transitioning areas, I think.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ROFL Octopus posted:

For me it’s Link. No joke, he’s the first video game character I’ve ever been attracted to to the point of fantasizing about him. :allears:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The game is so immersive that it makes players feel like they really live in Hyrule, where literally everybody thinks Link is sexy.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I've had Farosh stop spawning for me as well. What fixed it for me was running toward the back of that cave past where those lighting keese are. If I do it in the morning the updraft will kick on and he'll start spawning every morning again. Apparently is has something to do with getting too close to his spawn point. Walking up through that cave resets him because you're transitioning areas, I think.

I decided to do a lap around the bigass lake because why not. After doing an obnoxious Korok puzzle he spawned, but I was so far away I had no chance to reach him in time. I tried teleporting to the tower but that despawned him.

This dragon is the bane of my BOTW existence.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just camp by the lake over and over. After about 3 days he doesn't spawn for a day or two but then he starts again. You can even use the same campfire wood!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Yeah I’m almost positive it’s proximity. I tested it out with Naydra on Lanayru Promenade. I first set a custom warp point at the very east of the promenade. It was convenient but Naydra was inconsistent.

Then I set the warp point to the south-west of the initial; further but also at higher altitude. Naydra spawns without fail from there.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

khy posted:

I decided to do a lap around the bigass lake because why not. After doing an obnoxious Korok puzzle he spawned, but I was so far away I had no chance to reach him in time. I tried teleporting to the tower but that despawned him.

This dragon is the bane of my BOTW existence.

You're waiting for him at Lake Hylia? Have you tried Lake Floria instead? (The favourite Farosh-hunting point is the lake at the top of the falls there.)

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Runcible Cat posted:

You're waiting for him at Lake Hylia? Have you tried Lake Floria instead? (The favourite Farosh-hunting point is the lake at the top of the falls there.)

I've only ever seen him emerge from the waters at the northwestern part of Lake Hylia, I've never seen him around Lake Floria. But since I'm avoiding walkthroughs on my first run I'm probably doing things in a stupid manner and making life more difficult for myself.

Last night I tried various things and finally found a reliable method to make him spawn was to run around between the huge bridge and the grassland east of the tower there, and wait until the music changes. Then run up the western bridge tower, wait until he gets close, and shoot an arrow. Weird thing though, I swear I hit his horn twice but he dropped a scale instead of a horn piece. I needed a scale anyway for the shrine quest but I really want to get the horn pieces for upgrading my Champion's Tunic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

khy posted:

I've only ever seen him emerge from the waters at the northwestern part of Lake Hylia, I've never seen him around Lake Floria. But since I'm avoiding walkthroughs on my first run I'm probably doing things in a stupid manner and making life more difficult for myself.

Last night I tried various things and finally found a reliable method to make him spawn was to run around between the huge bridge and the grassland east of the tower there, and wait until the music changes. Then run up the western bridge tower, wait until he gets close, and shoot an arrow. Weird thing though, I swear I hit his horn twice but he dropped a scale instead of a horn piece. I needed a scale anyway for the shrine quest but I really want to get the horn pieces for upgrading my Champion's Tunic.

Oh crap, I totally just assumed you were at the area I was thinking of. The best place to farm him is Riola Spring, which has the cave with the Electric Keese I referenced earlier. (The gif's below came from this reddit guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_Wild/comments/631je4/guide_fastest_dragon_horn_farming_3_per_minute/)

https://imgur.com/I6Rz5Qy - GIF of the map showing the exact location

https://imgur.com/pg7RgZo - GIF of the farming method

He spawns literally AT 5 as soon as you "wake up" from the campfire there. There's a cave at the north part of the lake that you can set up a campfire to farm him every morning, and you're even protected from rain and lightning if you place the fire right. It's the single easiest dragon farming spot in the game. You don't even need to wait for the horns to fall completely down. As soon as they pop off his horn you can camp again and hit him again the next morning before the first one even lands. Just get a zoom bow like a Golden Bow and you'll be swimming in horns.

Kamikaze Raider fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 1, 2018