Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Last of the revamped skills. Sorry guys, Rejuvenating Totem is still useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Does this mean mines will be worth playing? How about as a league starter? Maybe arc totems?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rallos posted:

Does this mean mines will be worth playing? How about as a league starter? Maybe arc totems?

arc totems are promising but they were a very successful mathil build in bestiary, so with the revamp i expect literally every piece of gear related to arc totems will skyrocket in price

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
so, uh... rares with res and life?

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

the only uniques that build used were 2 shimmerons

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I still have no idea what I'm starting with :ohdear:

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011
The expensive part of arc totems will be the +chains helm enchant that is a ~22% more multiplier. If you are going mines instead, you will additionally want it to be on a shaper helm since the extra mine affix is global and effectively another ~33% (slightly less if sabo) more multiplier.

Also a general recommendation to spam boot enchants in uber lab until you hit 1-160 lightning damage or 10% pen when you haven't killed recently, those will always be active and are fairly strong. 120% crit chance is pretty solid too.

ArkhamPraetor fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 29, 2018

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

theshim posted:

I thought I knew

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

theshim posted:

I'm trying to decide if I want to stick with my initial plan of Incinerate CwC Flame Surge Elementalist or dive straight into Elemental Hit wands (again Elementalist). I have a feeling the latter would be more difficult to start with though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No one knows for sure until the patch notes!!

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
How is Arctic Breath not getting a buff?! It shoots exploding skulls! That automatically makes it cooler than every other skill! I have never been so disappointed.

There are too many good options now. Arctic Breath would have made my decision much easier.

Edit: "We've also made some numerical changes to many skills to make them more competitive. You'll be able to see them all in the patch notes tomorrow..." OK, there's still hope.

Noper Q fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 29, 2018

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I think my build is mostly done, but I'm still a bit confused one thing:
How are the defensive options in this game? I get that %Life and Elemental Resistance are mandatory, no matter what you do, but what about Armor/Evasion/Energy Shield? More specifically I could either specc into Iron Reflexes or Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Hah, Vaal Earthquake is a hidden buff to Abberath's Hooves.

Also holy poo poo Charged Dash looks loving DELICIOUS

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

quote:

Storm Burst
Storm Burst has significantly more damage, especially from the projectiles. We also increased the area of effect by 10%. Projectiles now deal 183 to 275 lightning damage at gem level 20, and the explosions deal 65% more damage. We're planning more mechanical changes as we're not entirely happy with the mechanics of the skill, especially with how tricky it is to use on bosses and when used by totems, but 3.3.0 will only feature damage changes.

Current damage values at level 20: 50 to 76. :lol:

This page and last page should all be caught up on invites.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Wuxi posted:

I think my build is mostly done, but I'm still a bit confused one thing:
How are the defensive options in this game? I get that %Life and Elemental Resistance are mandatory, no matter what you do, but what about Armor/Evasion/Energy Shield? More specifically I could either specc into Iron Reflexes or Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics.

In general, after life and resistances, the next mechanic of "tankyness" you should focus on is "sustain" -- at least in my opinion. This means life leech, regen, and/or life on hit. Even with great defenses, there's always something that'll gently caress you up, which means getting back to full life ASAP is critical.

Spells are also usually more scary than attacks, and are usually what's gonna gently caress you up, so if you want to go a high defense and low sustain build, I strongly suggest ways to avoid spells, like max spell block etc.

Here's a video of a dude with probably good spell block taking on Uber Elder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c-zNj1NJMw

On a starter, I feel that armor is usually better than evasion, because it helps with some uber lab traps and makes things less "spiky". However, if your character has a reliable blind mechanic, evasion can be really good.

Any build that can Fortify should. Mind Over Matter is also really great, if you can work it into your build.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Dahbadu posted:

In general, after life and resistances, the next mechanic of "tankyness" you should focus on is "sustain" -- at least in my opinion. This means life leech, regen, and/or life on hit. Even with great defenses, there's always something that'll gently caress you up, which means getting back to full life ASAP is critical.

Spells are also usually more scary than attacks, and are usually what's gonna gently caress you up, so if you want to go a high defense and low sustain build, I strongly suggest ways to avoid spells, like max spell block etc.

Here's a video of a dude with probably good spell block taking on Uber Elder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c-zNj1NJMw

On a starter, I feel that armor is usually better than evasion, because it helps with some uber lab traps and makes things less "spiky". However, if your character has a reliable blind mechanic, evasion can be really good.

Any build that can Fortify should. Mind Over Matter is also really great, if you can work it into your build.

These are all great points. I also found Engineering Eternity's video on defensive layers to be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhAompSttsU

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Patch notes are up:

I'm glad that "Many skills have a duration" now!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Thinking of starting with a CwC Arc build. What's the better trigger, Lightning Tendrils or Storm Burst?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

i can still taste him posted:

Patch notes are up:

Uh...remind me to skip Malformation now

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Patch notes are up:

The algorithmically generated patch notes are always good.

"Created a flameblast which grew without needing to be lucky for 4 seconds after use." :allears:

e: "From the 19th challenge onwards and for every third challenge after that, you will receive the Incursion Totem Pole decoration to display in your mainhand weapon." :black101:

Also looks like there are a bunch of pets on sale today in case you wanted to burn a couple bucks on a peacock.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 29, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i'm down for wielding the challenge totem as a weapon

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Patch notes are up:

I'm hype for reverse flameblast.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Im leaning arc totems but I really hate not having a movement skill, not being able to shield charge all over sucks balls.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Looks like I'm going Quad Arc Totem Hiero with an attack speed + spellcrit dagger, Insanity gloves, and a shield because gently caress Shimmeron for mapping. Might as well use a white driftwood wand, character would have the same map clearspeed 1-shotting everything and walking to the next pack.

edit:

queeb posted:

Im leaning arc totems but I really hate not having a movement skill, not being able to shield charge all over sucks balls.

Nice post timing, I wasn't intending my post as a reply but yeah, just use a dagger and a shield and you can use shield charge with a totem build. Secret off-meta strategies.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 29, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, it was my understanding that Arc was borderline usable and people made plenty of builds to clear decently but struggled on bosses.

Now Arc has greatly boosted single target -and- clears even better?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Acht posted:

Having never played Reave before, how well would this do for SSF on softcore?
Is it one of those builds where you need to level with sunder or something until you get a decent foil?

this might be harsh but don't play SSF if you can't answer that yourself, it'll be super frustrating

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, it was my understanding that Arc was borderline usable and people made plenty of builds to clear decently but struggled on bosses.

Now Arc has greatly boosted single target -and- clears even better?

I think single-target damage has doubled, and it'll spam through packs even more so yeah.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

BTW, Flashback awards just got finished being handed out

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

whypick1 posted:

BTW, Flashback awards just got finished being handed out

Does that mean I got nothing if there's nothing new in my MTX stash? I hit 85 for crying out loud...

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

It was a random draw out of everyone who hit that mark between all 4 Flashback leagues, so....

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Oh hey, Ghostflame and Gore skull from the race, nice.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to decipher what's up with charged dash... are you supposed to be like a Tron Cycle and grow a path through all the enemies? Are they intending it to be a main skill? Anything that can let you rush through a map and nuke everything at the same time while using one button (i.e. PPVD) is good poo poo in my book.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Zero VGS posted:

are you supposed to be like a Tron Cycle

Well, now I want a frostwall movement skill

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
You mean to tell me that I have to manually dump my Bestiary/Flashback maps one at a time to my character and then back into my Standard maps? I can't just merge them? Why am I paying money for these useless tabs lol

Keru posted:

Well, now I want a frostwall movement skill

Arctic Armor

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Arctic Armor is neither a blocking wall or a movement skill?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

You mean to tell me that I have to manually dump my Bestiary/Flashback maps one at a time to my character and then back into my Standard maps? I can't just merge them? Why am I paying money for these useless tabs lol

lol, you give a poo poo about Standard

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
uses for standard:

1) the hipster alternative to path of building
2)

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Craig K posted:

uses for standard:

1) the hipster alternative to path of building
2)

Vaaling old versions of uniques for giggles

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I don't even have that many stash tabs and my standard stash is a hellish nightmare, can't imagine what those whales who spend hundreds of dollars on tabs might be dealing with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Keru posted:

Vaaling old versions of uniques for giggles

ikr