Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, that’s the one I mentioned. It’s a good resource, I didn’t even know the minecraft wiki covered mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Ok the base bee set in Exoria is loving awful. None of them have higher than 2 fertility which makes genetic manipulation a crapshoot, and if you try to get the Wet bee's genes into a different line you're likely to dead-end the princess by getting a Wet one without both tolerances active. The Greenhouse is locked behind bronze, too.
I do not recommend doing any serious bee breeding before you get to the second dimension, where things are presumably not so hot.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Redstone in exoria is glorious.

Put my first 6 to a drawer controller. Now my drawers dont need any manual upkeep.

What i didnt like was looking for the special clay in the underground. The one that looks just like ash block. That you need to make a kiln. with any luck thats embers done for the pack ^^

And what is the small ghost thing in the core that can move through blocks to kill you?

Edit

1) how do i grow the oreberry bushes?

2) do mushrooms actually spawn in the 3 main dimensions?

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 28, 2018

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Meskhenet posted:

Redstone in exoria is glorious.

Put my first 6 to a drawer controller. Now my drawers dont need any manual upkeep.

What i didnt like was looking for the special clay in the underground. The one that looks just like ash block. That you need to make a kiln. with any luck thats embers done for the pack ^^

And what is the small ghost thing in the core that can move through blocks to kill you?

Edit

1) how do i grow the oreberry bushes?

2) do mushrooms actually spawn in the 3 main dimensions?

1) Oreberries need to be in darkness to produce. In vanilla they will spread to nearby blocks as well but I don't think they do in Exoria unless they need a specific block under them; I've had some oreberries sitting in a dark room for hours and hours and they haven't multiplied.

2) Yes, I found mushrooms in the Underground. They seem to be exceedingly rare.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Exoria: is there some trick to getting the absolutely colossal amounts of ash you need to sift and/or automating that piece of it? Right now I just break a couple stone shovels and that maybe gets me a single diamond.

My next four are going to the 3x3 upgrade for the flexible shovel unless there's some way to get all the ash to come to me via machine.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Exoria: is there some trick to getting the absolutely colossal amounts of ash you need to sift and/or automating that piece of it? Right now I just break a couple stone shovels and that maybe gets me a single diamond.

My next four are going to the 3x3 upgrade for the flexible shovel unless there's some way to get all the ash to come to me via machine.

Craft one flint with one sulfur. Travel away from your base and throw. Stand back!

Don't forget you can mouseover a stack of compressable stuff like ash, in your inventory, and press K to autocraft it down.

As far as automatically creating ash goes, you can do it with bees probably. I think you would need a, as you said, colossal amount to keep up with the throughput of a sifter grid though.

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 28, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

You'll get a quest for the Hammer Crafting Table from Spark's Hammers at some point. What this doesn't tell you is that you can also make Excavators, which are the same thing as a hammer (3x3 dig) but for shovelable things like ash. Stone excavators are cheap and will fill about three quarters of your inventory before breaking.

Additionally, go out with a magnet ring, a bunch of cobble or gravel, and the conversion wand you looted from the botania house, and mass convert huge sections of the terrain into trash while picking up the ash.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
These are both excellent sounding techniques. Little sad there's no set and forget method like with the strainers , whose setup I completely copied from a few pages back.

I'm glad I gave Exoria another shot. After SevTech I was a little tired of the "here's a super awkward crafting table" beginning, but I actually really like the housing requirement for the various machines. It's cool to build my own little complex instead of my usual gigantic cobblestone box.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

These are both excellent sounding techniques. Little sad there's no set and forget method like with the strainers , whose setup I completely copied from a few pages back.

I'm glad I gave Exoria another shot. After SevTech I was a little tired of the "here's a super awkward crafting table" beginning, but I actually really like the housing requirement for the various machines. It's cool to build my own little complex instead of my usual gigantic cobblestone box.

You can use Embers' Cinder Plinth to burn trash items into ash, but it's slow and requires a steady supply of ember crystals.

Later on, you can also make a Material Stonework Factory (Industrial Foregoing) that will make an infinite amount of dust blocks for you at the cost of only power. However, by the time you unlock that, you also get access to Envirotech Void Miners, so it's sort of a wash.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

just made an end stone condenser in exoria - six pearls, six sandstones and a bit of fluxed electrum means i now get basically a stack of diamonds per dust

end casing would make it even better but that's a bit more of a hassle

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

just made an end stone condenser in exoria - six pearls, six sandstones and a bit of fluxed electrum means i now get basically a stack of diamonds per dust

end casing would make it even better but that's a bit more of a hassle

end casing is actually pretty easy -- you can use a life infusion stone to transmute a melon block and 4 eyes of ender into a chorus fruit

smelt the chorus fruit into a popped chorus fruit, then throw it in your alchemy catalyst to get a chorus flower

plant that bad boy on some end stone and let it grow, then cut it down for more chorus fruit

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Okay I'm playing through Exoria and having a pretty fun time so far, and then I found all the rune/pyre/fairy stuff after what felt like an eternity of searching only to find out that bees are a thing in this pack and now I'm smashing my head against the wall.

Can someone explain bees (the whole shebang) to me in a way that doesn't make me want to kill myself? Or at the very least confirm that killing myself is a prerequisite to suffering through this nonsense so I can at least steel myself for the inevitable?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Super Jay Mann posted:

Okay I'm playing through Exoria and having a pretty fun time so far, and then I found all the rune/pyre/fairy stuff after what felt like an eternity of searching only to find out that bees are a thing in this pack and now I'm smashing my head against the wall.

Can someone explain bees (the whole shebang) to me in a way that doesn't make me want to kill myself? Or at the very least confirm that killing myself is a prerequisite to suffering through this nonsense so I can at least steel myself for the inevitable?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Gendustry is actually locked behind Refined Storage, which is pretty late in the game. Fortunately, so far the bee load is pretty small.

To breed bees, put a princess and a drone of differing species in an Apiary (read: NOT a bee house) and let them make a queen, then let the queen die. Once they die, analyze the output princess and drones with a portable analyzer (needs honey to operate.) Pick the drones that have the traits you want and mate them with the princess, to keep the chain going.

To get honey, make an apiary, then fill the three slots in the middle with Untreated Frames. Running some basic bees that you aren't breeding just to make honeycombs is a good idea, too.

Use JEI to find out what things mutate into what.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I would advise NOT using frames to get honey in Exoria. All the base bees have Shortest lifetime which means they last like 1 minute inside an Apiary. You will have to constantly feed the princess back in to get it to keep going. This is good for mutations, but bad for production.

Instead, get a ton of bees via the bee attractor then put them in a ton of bee houses. Bees last longer in bee houses so it's more hands-off and you can have far more working in parallel since bee houses are so much easier to make.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

I would advise NOT using frames to get honey in Exoria. All the base bees have Shortest lifetime which means they last like 1 minute inside an Apiary. You will have to constantly feed the princess back in to get it to keep going. This is good for mutations, but bad for production.

Instead, get a ton of bees via the bee attractor then put them in a ton of bee houses. Bees last longer in bee houses so it's more hands-off and you can have far more working in parallel since bee houses are so much easier to make.

Bee houses are definitely fire and forget, but you do get slightly more yield from using frames. A beehouse triples the lifespan of a bee, but has a 0.25x production multiplier. An apiary with 3 frames has a 0.8x production multiplier, which slightly beats out the bee house. You also can't use pipes to automatically re-insert the princesses and drones on a bee house.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Bee houses are definitely fire and forget, but you do get slightly more yield from using frames. A beehouse triples the lifespan of a bee, but has a 0.25x production multiplier. An apiary with 3 frames has a 0.8x production multiplier, which slightly beats out the bee house. You also can't use pipes to automatically re-insert the princesses and drones on a bee house.

I wasn't aware apiaries could be automated?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

I wasn't aware apiaries could be automated?

They absolutely can. Bee houses cannot. You can pump items out and in of an apiary with any piping method. In Exoria, you can use buildcraft junk to do this easily. Pipe out of the apiary, then loop the pipe back and use a clay pipe to perform the insertion, then have the pipe continue onto a chest.

You can't automate the insertion of frames, though. That's always manual.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

They absolutely can. Bee houses cannot. You can pump items out and in of an apiary with any piping method. In Exoria, you can use buildcraft junk to do this easily. Pipe out of the apiary, then loop the pipe back and use a clay pipe to perform the insertion, then have the pipe continue onto a chest.

You can't automate the insertion of frames, though. That's always manual.

Neat! I guess that means less upkeep overall with apiaries since frames last longer than these lovely bees in the bee houses. It's more expensive to get going though, and you'll be using up sticks pretty fast.
Also I just discovered you get free princesses occasionally from bees, so automated apiaries will occasionally spit out a princess.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Neat! I guess that means less upkeep overall with apiaries since frames last longer than these lovely bees in the bee houses. It's more expensive to get going though, and you'll be using up sticks pretty fast.
Also I just discovered you get free princesses occasionally from bees, so automated apiaries will occasionally spit out a princess.

Upgrading your axe will increase your stick output. The flexible axpickvel can make 10 sticks from one plank (and 10 planks from one log.) However, around the same time you get access to a coal-fired sawmill widget that does 8:1 for both, which is superior because you don't have to sit around whacking a dumb log on top of a dumb log.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
what is the new hotness in quest modpacks?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

:what:

I thought "paxel" was bad. Holy poo poo.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Two personal favourites
SevTech:Ages is a pack based around content gating as you advance through different tech tiers by fulfilling the quest book. Dazzling array of mods and things to do. Downside is it takes forever to load and has some questionable mods and busywork.
Skytouched is a very unique spin on skyblocks that is based around flying about with the Elytra on a hard-limited map space with the ground being poisonous though not so much as to stop you from scavenging. Has a pretty decent ramp up to let you reclaim the land with outposts and steadily pushing deeper into the earth.

Haven't gotten around to Exoria yet but it's supposed to be pretty decent.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Rynoto posted:

Haven't gotten around to Exoria yet but it's supposed to be pretty decent.

EVERYTHING IS ASH, and that's just the beginning!

I kid, can confirm that it does a decent job of steady progression if you're paying attention. Don't be like me and try to engineer alternative ways to produce clay when you already have the means to produce clay buckets. I was not proud of that moment in time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

exoria manages to be pretty decent if only because it's not a pile of entirely grindy horseshit interspersed with the game trying to kill you constantly

i mean, you'll never escape a bit of grind, but the scale is pretty wide here and it's nowhere near the upper end

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rynoto posted:

Skytouched is a very unique spin on skyblocks that is based around flying about with the Elytra on a hard-limited map space with the ground being poisonous though not so much as to stop you from scavenging. Has a pretty decent ramp up to let you reclaim the land with outposts and steadily pushing deeper into the earth.

I played this for a bit but the level requirement for going underground seemed daunting. How do you deal with that? Also what do you mean by outposts? I thought there was no way to avoid the miasma.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sexual Aluminum posted:

In addition to the things mentioned, there's two other skyblocks that I've played recently.

Modern Skyblock 3 is a fairly standard style of skyblock, though it uses Sky Resources instead of Ex Nihilo. It uses a mod to disable some recipes until you've performed quests to unlock the mod. It's good if you want a pack that will encourage you to do lots of stuff with each mod in the pack.

Crimson Skies is basically "Modern Skyblock 3, but 'expert' mode." It's a much smaller pack, and revolves around Astral Sorcery. It uses starlight transmutation and infusion to generate resources.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

McFrugal posted:

I played this for a bit but the level requirement for going underground seemed daunting. How do you deal with that? Also what do you mean by outposts? I thought there was no way to avoid the miasma.

The experience/miasma layer was revised recently to make it less awful - you now only lose experience from toxins and having nutritions too low. Outposts are built by having botania regeneration incense to counter the ticking damage before you get to the Wither II layer. I personally use mine to stock potions at the border for deep mining.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech
So just dropping in here looking for some opinions. New CoFH stuff will be released in...oh, something like 12 hours I guess. Anyways, lately I've felt kind of drained by the community. It's nice to add stuff to the mods and all, but there feels like people are just tired of them. Or at least, some vocal complainers seem to be.

So, for those of you who play with the CoFH / Thermal stuff - what do you like / dislike, etc., and what would you like to see added to the mods? Or, what's something that modded MC is missing in general, but wouldn't be appropriate in Thermal?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly, it's always bothered me how little variety there is in adventure/RPG mods. I like tech mods, but it seems the scene swung hard in the direction of automation at some point and it's a crying shame that your options for a fun time carving a bloody path through the world are roguelike dungeons and whatever the flash in the pan mod is for the current version. Something with a nice sense of progression without having to track down a bunch of structures in a specific order or desperately cling to an insane power curve is sorely missed.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

KingLemming posted:

So just dropping in here looking for some opinions. New CoFH stuff will be released in...oh, something like 12 hours I guess. Anyways, lately I've felt kind of drained by the community. It's nice to add stuff to the mods and all, but there feels like people are just tired of them. Or at least, some vocal complainers seem to be.

So, for those of you who play with the CoFH / Thermal stuff - what do you like / dislike, etc., and what would you like to see added to the mods? Or, what's something that modded MC is missing in general, but wouldn't be appropriate in Thermal?

I like the fact you are a living person and you continue to work on CoFH. Also that you also act like a reasonable living person. I haven't seen the authors of powercrystals or Modular Power suit on here for a long time and I wonder if they are still alive sometimes.

Please do not die, you are a pleasant hardworking human being with a good brain. There are lots of modders and people that simply vanished from the face of the earth and I do miss them.

Of the things I miss about your mod, I guess I miss the fancy glowstone lamps. I don't miss the functionality of the RGB and the redstone controls, just the style and having a simple blastproof glowstone lamp.

What you could have is Reinforced construction materials like IC2s reinforced stone and reinforced stone doors and other replacements for vanilla stuff that function the same, except are 'hardened" so they can be picked up or adjusted with a flick of a wrench but are blastproof. IE: hardened switch, hardened button, hardened trap door, hardened slab, hardened bed. Maybe able to slap a signalium lock on them so you have your own nigh-indestructable locked door or switch?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

KingLemming posted:

I really like the direction the Thermal mods took with their overhaul, allowing a player to use the already quite wide array of machines in even more ways. The boiler/turbine upgrades, the augment that turns the redstone furnace into a coke oven, the wireless charging augment for the energetic infuser. And the Morbs! That's a really interesting system.

I don't know what is up with the change to the elemental dusts making them require liquid XP though. The reasoning behind it, and hell even the change itself, weren't really documented (that I saw) and that annoyed me and the people I play with. Yes I'm aware you can do what you want with your mod and that's fine, but it was the fact that it came with a bunch of other recipe problems the server I play on (largely around Thermal *) had that made it look like a recipe was broken, and a bunch of troubleshooting before I stumbled across a tiny line in a changelog, "Changed elemental dust recipes slightly. :)" Yeah sure, that's helpful. Not entirely your fault granted, but like, a little more could have been said about it than that.

Edit: also I agree with everything SugarAddict said.

Edit 2: To clarify, while the change to liquid XP is annoying it's not the end of the world, just annoyed at how it was communicated. Or not communicated. Maybe people knew all about it on the COFH discord but I didn't see anything about it.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 29, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

KingLemming posted:

Mostly, folks fear change. The 1.12 Thermal _____ mods have been an all-around upgrade, and they are fun to use. In particular, I really like the wide variety of augments for dynamos. Especially the compression dynamo -- I have spent quite a lot of thought trying to suss out which combination of features I want for a particular situation just for this dynamo alone, and there is never usually a "right" answer every time. That sort of decision making is extremely my poo poo.

The only thing I really feel myself limited by is the low throughput of energy cells. This might just be the fault of me playing in large modpacks where mods aren't really that well balanced between each other, though -- Thermal Expansion stuff operates at a fairly small scale of power compared to a lot of other mods. If this was an area that you wanted to make change, maybe add an energy throughput enchantment? Not sure if it would be mutually exclusive with Holding or not, though. I'm not sure it would really make sense to use a throughput enchantment with any other types of blocks, so it feels a bit one-note. Maybe it could be used with dynamos? Maybe you could enchant a dynamo with vanilla efficiency (fuel efficiency) or throughput (maximum RF/t) as well as add augments?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ixjuvin posted:

1) Oreberries need to be in darkness to produce. In vanilla they will spread to nearby blocks as well but I don't think they do in Exoria unless they need a specific block under them; I've had some oreberries sitting in a dark room for hours and hours and they haven't multiplied.

2) Yes, I found mushrooms in the Underground. They seem to be exceedingly rare.

hmm ive got orberry bushes in light and darkness.

1 in light gows and produces

1 in dark grew and produces.

my 2 gold and 3rd iron just dont grow......

off to the underground to hunt for a mushroom, then im making my rod of earth and grassing the world 1 block at a time.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

hmm ive got orberry bushes in light and darkness.

1 in light gows and produces

1 in dark grew and produces.

my 2 gold and 3rd iron just dont grow......

off to the underground to hunt for a mushroom, then im making my rod of earth and grassing the world 1 block at a time.

I don't think oreberry bushes are worth setting up in Exoria anyway. The production rate is pitiful. I set up a dark room with 16 iron bushes and it's not even worth going down to collect. The automated strainer set up from earlier in the thread is way better, even with the cost in iron it takes to make 4 of the iron nets.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

VegasShirtGuy posted:

I don't think oreberry bushes are worth setting up in Exoria anyway. The production rate is pitiful. I set up a dark room with 16 iron bushes and it's not even worth going down to collect. The automated strainer set up from earlier in the thread is way better, even with the cost in iron it takes to make 4 of the iron nets.

They make a lot more sense once you get watering cans and an aqueous accumulator. I can rustle up a stack of oreberries in about a minute, maybe less.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

They make a lot more sense once you get watering cans and an aqueous accumulator. I can rustle up a stack of oreberries in about a minute, maybe less.

And get 7 ingots? Oreberries are still equivalent to nuggets right?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

And get 7 ingots? Oreberries are still equivalent to nuggets right?

Correct. That being said, all the metal production (up until the void miner, and the nickel/aluminum/mithril from misty gravel sifting) is nuggets anyways, so it is actually pretty quick by comparison.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech
Thanks for the feedback thus far. :)

SugarAddict posted:

Of the things I miss about your mod, I guess I miss the fancy glowstone lamps. I don't miss the functionality of the RGB and the redstone controls, just the style and having a simple blastproof glowstone lamp.

What you could have is Reinforced construction materials like IC2s reinforced stone and reinforced stone doors and other replacements for vanilla stuff that function the same, except are 'hardened" so they can be picked up or adjusted with a flick of a wrench but are blastproof. IE: hardened switch, hardened button, hardened trap door, hardened slab, hardened bed. Maybe able to slap a signalium lock on them so you have your own nigh-indestructable locked door or switch?

Yeah, the Lamps are something I want to bring back. I just really didn't like the direction that they got taken what with the various form factors. It made them a complicated and annoying block. I'll see about just having them as basic cubes + panels.

Also, I like the hardened stuff idea.

Black Pants posted:

I don't know what is up with the change to the elemental dusts making them require liquid XP though. The reasoning behind it, and hell even the change itself, weren't really documented (that I saw) and that annoyed me and the people I play with. Yes I'm aware you can do what you want with your mod and that's fine, but it was the fact that it came with a bunch of other recipe problems the server I play on (largely around Thermal *) had that made it look like a recipe was broken, and a bunch of troubleshooting before I stumbled across a tiny line in a changelog, "Changed elemental dust recipes slightly. :)" Yeah sure, that's helpful. Not entirely your fault granted, but like, a little more could have been said about it than that.

Edit 2: To clarify, while the change to liquid XP is annoying it's not the end of the world, just annoyed at how it was communicated. Or not communicated. Maybe people knew all about it on the COFH discord but I didn't see anything about it.

Yup, absolutely my bad on that one. The reasoning behind it was that the mod is *really* redstone heavy already and thematically it didn't feel like the best fit. Using XP instead means that something probably still has to die (you could use XP from mining/smelting of course).

I didn't see it as that big of a change I suppose because I just get the impression that people tend to play with full auto-everything and logistical triviality, so changing one resource to another is almost never a problem. That was a bad assumption driven by cynicism of the state of things and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The only thing I really feel myself limited by is the low throughput of energy cells. This might just be the fault of me playing in large modpacks where mods aren't really that well balanced between each other, though -- Thermal Expansion stuff operates at a fairly small scale of power compared to a lot of other mods. If this was an area that you wanted to make change, maybe add an energy throughput enchantment? Not sure if it would be mutually exclusive with Holding or not, though. I'm not sure it would really make sense to use a throughput enchantment with any other types of blocks, so it feels a bit one-note. Maybe it could be used with dynamos? Maybe you could enchant a dynamo with vanilla efficiency (fuel efficiency) or throughput (maximum RF/t) as well as add augments?

This is sort of a larger problem with the RF ecosystem. Frankly, I don't like where a lot of mods have taken it. 25k RF/t is basically burning 20-30 coal per second. It's a lot of energy. I don't have any real desire to meaningfully interface with mods that use "MRF" and "GRF" as casual abbreviations, but if you're talking about a way to maybe get up to 100k RF/t, I'll think on it. It's high, but not unreasonably so. And I could see having some uber-machine someday that maybe actually requires that.

Technically, you can already just use the config files. That may be an appropriate option when the core issue is really that a modpack isn't well balanced.

KingLemming fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 29, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

KingLemming posted:

Technically, you can already just use the config files. That may be an appropriate option when the core issue is really that a modpack isn't well balanced.

Yeah, when I was writing that post, I kinda came to this conclusion halfway through. That's why I was kinda pensive about the idea at all, since it feels like it's a thing that can be balanced by a modpack developer (or not-TE mod developer) if they are aware of it and are willing to do so.

The example I'm abusing right now in the Exoria modpack involves Immersive Tech. It adds a steam turbine and alternator, along with a solar boiler and a diesel boiler for making steam. Normal stuff, right? Well, it breaks down when you add other mods. Thermal Expansion's boiler augment in a hardened steam dynamo supplies 120 mB/t of steam, which would normally burn into 240 RF/t in a turbine conversion steam dynamo. However, that same 120 mB/t of steam can run nearly two and a half IT turbine/alternator combos.

This would be all well and good, but one turbine/alternator produces 24,576 RF/t. It would produce more, but that is the throughput limit of the six HV plugs on the alternator's model, which for whatever reason can only interact with IE's wire connectors.

That being said, this is in NO WAY Thermal Expansion's fault. God knows there are a shitload of mods that add a steam liquid. I took a look in the IT config, and the values are all well configurable, though they are in strange terms.

Basically, it's a shitshow and there's no way to win for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

KingLemming posted:

I suggested a well-dressed, handsome Enderman mob who kidnaps you and teleports you 10k blocks away from your base, aka the Photogenic Isolator, on Twitter last year and you never implemented it! <:mad:>

In all seriousness I just want you to know that I absolutely love Thermal Innovation, it's really excellent. The IE drill is cool and all but needing to replace the head is a drag and biodiesel is annoying and the Tech Reborn drill is total trash, but the Fluxbore is a goddamn dream come true. The only problem I've ever had with the Fluxbore (and this is probably not on your end, but who knows) is that it doesn't count as a pickaxe according to Thaumcraft so I can't add Refining IV to it via infusion to be drowning in native ore clusters. :getin:

Although, now that I think about it, a 1x3 or 1x4 tunnel mode (like the Flux-Infused Pickaxe from RA has) would be pretty great on the Fluxbore.

More TI stuff in general would be great, although it feels fairly complete as it is. Maybe an Auto Crossbow? That would work pretty well with the quivers, although I guess it could be overpowered.

On the TE front, have you considered a mob spawning machine? With the morbs and fluid XP, all the prerequisites are there. I know that's not exactly missing from modded MC but the Thermal series is my favorite tech mod set, so not having to add an additional mod to have a reliable mob spawner would be pretty amazing. This is what the Enstabulator in the centrifuge is for I'm a dope.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 29, 2018