Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Agoat posted:

Should I pick up the all characters pack? I've been wanting to learn about Quake but I always end up wanting to go back to Halo. Is there a point where the game just makes more sense or should I skip Champions and go play Quake Live?

if you're new to quake it's worth getting quake live just for the movement training maps and running through them till you're totally comfortable clearing the obstacles.
then maybe do a few blood run duels against the demona bot (on nightmare) as you'll learn a lot about positioning and weapon choice that way (probably not much about map control though).

you should be able to get it ridiculously cheap on key reseller sites too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve not been following this game too closely but had a couple questions:
1. Will this game be playable offline/with bots?

2. What is the pricing model? Steam has it for 5 bucks with dlc; is it pay to win? Also would I be able to just buy a full version?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve not been following this game too closely but had a couple questions:
1. Will this game be playable offline/with bots?

2. What is the pricing model? Steam has it for 5 bucks with dlc; is it pay to win? Also would I be able to just buy a full version?
1.) Bots are coming. They'll be released in "phases", with the first phase (can play deathmatch and TDM good, but doesn't know what abilities are) coming soon. Once all the phases are complete, they'll start thinking about an offline mode, but not until then.

2.) As of the next patch, the game will use a League of Legends-style F2P system where you start with one character (Ranger), there's a free character-of-the-whatever on rotation, and you can get the rest over time by spending Favor earned by playing. Or real money, if that's what gets your rocks off.

The $5 version lets you into the F2P version early with an extra character (Scalebearer), a limited trial of all the others and some cosmetic poo poo. The $30 version is the "just buy the drat game" version that gives you all the characters past and future, along with the ability to start Custom Games and some other cosmetic poo poo.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 29, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Kins posted:

1.) Bots are coming. They'll be released in "phases", with the first phase (can play deathmatch and TDM good, but doesn't know what abilities are) coming soon. Once all the phases are complete, they'll start thinking about an offline mode, but not until then.

2.) As of the next patch, the game will use a League of Legends-style F2P system where you start with one character (Ranger), there's a free character-of-the-whatever on rotation, and you can get the rest over time by spending Favor earned by playing. Or real money, if that's what gets your rocks off.

The $5 version lets you into the F2P version early with an extra character (Scalebearer), a limited trial of all the others and some cosmetic poo poo. The $30 version is the "just buy the drat game" version that gives you all the characters past and future, along with the ability to start Custom Games and some other cosmetic poo poo.

That’s great to know, thanks! I hate the idea of buying games piecemeal and would rather fork over more money and have everything at once.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
If you like Quake, just spend the price for the full package and I think you'll get the future characters for free.

The game is good.

Out of the characters that the team didn't know how to balance, I think they got it down with Clutch. He's still a bad choice for instagib, but he's great in general and it's fun spawning with a lot of health and armor.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
June patch update:

another forum posted:

"This stream they tried something a little different and focused pretty heavily on the community aspect of Quake, doing things like showing off fan art, video clips, and promoting community-run tournaments/events. Even so, they did cover some of what will be in the June patch. Here's a summary of some of what was mentioned:"

There is a new internal build with changes based on PTS feedback, but it likely won't be seen on the PTS as an update before the June patch goes live.

In the June patch, Light Armor will give +50 armor instead of +25 and will respawn at the usual 30 second speed. Health bubbles will respawn at 15 seconds, however.

Rail damage will be 90 damage across the board rather than the current PTS value of 100.

Galena will be like her PTS version (3 totem max, each teammate can be healed by a totem once, having all totems down can allow for overheal, damage is 75) but it will only heal by 50.

Anarki has been changed pretty heavily from his PTS version: Injection will only heal 50 HP and give a +1 bonus to max stack, but the injection bonus HP caps at 125 HP and the +50 healing can overheal. His bonus health also decays faster than any other Champ in the game (about 3 HP/sec.).

The Spring event will be ending with the June patch.

The game mode that will be played at QuakeCon is still being finalized and may be announced sometime next week.

In the future there will be changes to certain Runes to make them less demanding/more rewarding.

The theme of the June patch is "polish" the game - (not speaking of Poland) making way for new Champs/systems/maps that will be coming in the year.

June patch will not have new Champs/Modes, but will have optimizations, Bots, gore, team player health bars/deathcams in non-ranked modes, and 3D sound (which is improved over even the current PTS version).

No specific discussion on tri-bolt, but probably will be what the current PTS tri-bolt is.

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/210021/community-live-stream-fri-june-1-1pm-est-razer-mice-giveaways-too/2

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

FIX THE GOD drat SCOREBOARD

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
update at 7am edt (noon gmt) sounds like servers will also be down for maintenance for a couple hours.

looking forward to bots n gibs... but part of me will miss the old tribolt, she wasn't so bad once you got the knack of her. hopefully it'll still explode on impact and remain viable as a three round burst, extremely high damage parabolic railgun.

also good riddance to egg hats and pastel shaders.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Completing the new tutorial gives you 200000 ingame pointz so that's essentially a 100 of the shittiest lootboxes

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

TheCoach posted:

Completing the new tutorial gives you 200000 ingame pointz so that's essentially a 100 of the shittiest lootboxes

Or 50,000 short of 'buying' one of the characters.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

So are the bots poo poo or what

evilfunkyogi
Jun 27, 2005
:effort:

Jose Mengelez posted:

also good riddance to egg hats and pastel shaders.

:emptyquote:

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

cougar cub posted:

So are the bots poo poo or what

It's just a test so far from what I can tell... there's literally one match against a bot in the training section of the game. It's also set to 'easy' apparently.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

can confirm the bots are poo poo and you still can't get an actual scoreboard with stats in game or see game stats without sitting through 10 seconds of nothing

tribolt is fun though

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

They removed sacrifice from the queue which saddens me as it was my favorite. Duel maps on ffa/tdm are fun though. Opened a ton of chests reliqus backpacks but didn’t get new tribolt. Dupes are still so bad now that sometimes I open a chest and I have enough to just buy another chest.

Loving the gibs. Anyone try the beta surround sound thingy yet? Heard it’s pretty bad right now.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Why can you only select one mode now? I liked being able to choose multiple to get into games faster.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
sacrifice was good as hell, sad to see it go.
then again, i'm in the tiny minority that liked team arena...

GUI posted:

Why can you only select one mode now? I liked being able to choose multiple to get into games faster.

nothing about this playlist system makes any sense.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
everyone look at these two whole people who liked sacrifice

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I think more people would have liked it but yeah unless you are in a premade it sucks. The pickup games were really where it was at but we can’t even do that anymore because of some weird change where it takes 10 secs to cap a soul from an obelisk.

Which leads me to wonder something, will ctf be a dead mode too? If it’s actually 4v4 it’s going to suck just as bad without a premade. This won’t be public 16/16 servers from the old days.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
So how do I f2p this? Not seeing the option on steam

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DisDisDis posted:

So how do I f2p this? Not seeing the option on steam
F2P option is only available to folks who had beta keys at the moment.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
And they took away the 5 dollar options, what an incredible bait and switch

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

use the bethesda launcher to install it, then google "qclauncher github" and use that to run the game without the bethesda launcher

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Social Animal posted:

I think more people would have liked it but yeah unless you are in a premade it sucks. The pickup games were really where it was at but we can’t even do that anymore because of some weird change where it takes 10 secs to cap a soul from an obelisk.

Which leads me to wonder something, will ctf be a dead mode too? If it’s actually 4v4 it’s going to suck just as bad without a premade. This won’t be public 16/16 servers from the old days.

the way this game's coded you'd need dual xeon e5s to maintain 120+fps with 16 players running around.

also in performance news; i'm pretty sure there's a major memory leak. I was tabbed out of the main menu reading the forums and got a "windows is out of memory" error. task manager showed quake champions using almost 16gb of ram.
I've just been restarting the game every couple matches to deal with it.

Jose Mengelez fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 10, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DisDisDis posted:

And they took away the 5 dollar options, what an incredible bait and switch
Good news: the free option is open on Steam for a week, and you keep it if you get in during that time.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Sweet. I'll probably buy the pack if I like it but I haven't stuck with a videogame in forever so I didn't wanna go in for $30 right away.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

So now f2p players get ranger, scalebearer + 200k favour from the tutorial, and a weekly free champion. Three characters and almost enough for a fourth, and more importantly they can play duel right off the bat

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
played my first match and it was pretty lopsided. I think the other team had a player disconnect or something. The score was something like 50-2 at the end. Is that common?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I’m real glad to see the spike in new players since the free week announcement - but I hope they get their servers sorted out to handle the load! I convinced 5 buddies to pick up the game and then it took 30 mins to get us all in a party, and then when I spun up a custom game the server failed to launch!

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Molybdenum posted:

played my first match and it was pretty lopsided. I think the other team had a player disconnect or something. The score was something like 50-2 at the end. Is that common?

No I think they’re matching newbies against bots for the first few matches. If they have 0 ping it’s a bot.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Played game, game is fun. I miss Reflex's speed and also its speed on my computer lol

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Less splash damage on rockets means people will actually have to aim now. I consider that a big plus. Taking out sacrifice was proba ly a good idea too. They can just concentrate on making a decent CTF or something like that.

But holy poo poo does the in-game economy sucks post-patch. Can't buy poo poo with shards except chests and backpack drops are pretty terrible now.

I wouldn't consider it bad tbh since I can just play the game and not bother with drops any more.

Free Chicken
Jan 16, 2006

Buglord

Uncle Kitchener posted:

But holy poo poo does the in-game economy sucks post-patch. Can't buy poo poo with shards except chests and backpack drops are pretty terrible now.

I wouldn't consider it bad tbh since I can just play the game and not bother with drops any more.

Guns never drop and their store sucks. What, did they actually think people would buy plats and reliquaries and "hope for the best?" :negative:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I've only bought the doom supershotgun but this was with the one time 4.99 purchase they had. The rest I spent on the doomguy plushie. There is pretty much nothing else to really buy anymore since they took away the shard option and I can just wait for the second week of the daily login drops for some extra platinum.

The only reason I'd spend platinum now would be for the xp boost. The rest I'll probably get from chest drops whenever I get those from leveling up.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Maybe I should have spent my 600k favor

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I only got 40K and a Relinquary. How do you even get that much?

Edit: the tribolt is really good now. Glad they made the changes to that gun because it was pretty trash before.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I feel like my LG and NG kills have gone way down since the patch. :one:

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Sounds right - the width of the Lg hitbox was shrunk last patch so it is harder to hit with now.

Also the tribolt is so spammy and strong. In TDM i would only to take the RL over it.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Free Chicken posted:

Guns never drop and their store sucks. What, did they actually think people would buy plats and reliquaries and "hope for the best?" :negative:

I've gotten 3 characters, various skin-parts, the plasma gun skin and Q4 lightning gun skin just from the free boxes and I only have about 10 hours in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
You are a very lucky dude. Cthulhu is smiling on you.