Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Rice Chrispies, I believe Nakar called it in the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Rice Chrispies, I believe Nakar called it in the LP.

Heh. I don't remember that, but he would wouldn't he?

Did Nakar drop out of the LP community entirely? I don't think I've seen even a post (let alone an LP) from him in ages.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

DGM_2 posted:

Did Nakar drop out of the LP community entirely? I don't think I've seen even a post (let alone an LP) from him in ages.
I know this doesn't _really_ answer your question, but his last post was May 28, 2018 15:08

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

DGM_2 posted:

This post happens and almost exactly 3 hours later Nakar posts a new LP.

gently caress Patrick, DGM_2 is the real necromancer here.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Grinnblade posted:

gently caress Patrick, DGM_2 is the real necronakarmancer here.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Grinnblade posted:

gently caress Patrick, DGM_2 is the real necromancer here.

And you would not believe how many orphans I had to sacrifice. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go round up some puppies and virgins. I've got a ritual here that says I can get Chokes Mcgee to finish his Paper Sorcerer LP.

...All kidding aside, though, that is a rather freaky coincidence. But if it means another Nakar LP I'll take it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
MadMaze! Oh poo poo that takes me back.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DGM_2 posted:

And you would not believe how many orphans I had to sacrifice. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go round up some puppies and virgins. I've got a ritual here that says I can get Chokes Mcgee to finish his Paper Sorcerer LP.
I'll throw in a hospice if you can get Didja Redo to come back.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Xander77 posted:

I'll throw in a hospice if you can get Didja Redo to come back.

And two whole retirement homes from me if you can throw in Jerusalem too!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I was kind of ambivalent at first, but now the depth of this narrative is making me want to play Shadow Hearts.

Presumably they actually manage to get wherever this game is going.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Mazed posted:

I was kind of ambivalent at first, but now the depth of this narrative is making me want to play Shadow Hearts.

The combat is so much better in the SH series, they completely got rid of a lot of the janky psuedo-survival horror elements including breakable weapons and the really bizarre stats, but implemented a Sanity/Berserk system, a timed hit, and gave everyone a unique ability to give combat some tension without it being frustrating or tedious.

I also found Yuri kind of refreshing as a jrpg protagonist - he like Koudelka has a good reason for being kind of a jerk, and he doesn't walk blindly into obvious traps,

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Mazed posted:

The first Shadow Hearts hits a unique balance between survival horror and jRPG stylings in a way really no other game has, and is also competently put together with engaging gameplay.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mazed posted:

As Robindaybird said the trilogy's combat is head and shoulders above Koudelka's. The writing of the trilogy is weaker than Koudelka's though I feel, they're still mostly good (Though 3 tends to dip more into JRPG cliches compared to the other entries), they just rather lack the strong characterization and fantastic voice acting of Koudelka. Shadow Hearts Covenant is the best of the four games and is one of the JPRGs of all time too.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Accordion Man posted:

As Robindaybird said the trilogy's combat is head and shoulders above Koudelka's. The writing of the trilogy is weaker than Koudelka's though I feel, they're still mostly good (Though 3 tends to dip more into JRPG cliches compared to the other entries), they just rather lack the strong characterization and fantastic voice acting of Koudelka. Shadow Hearts Covenant is the best of the four games and is one of the JPRGs of all time too.

I feel like the characterization of the core in the first two games (Yuri, Alice, Karin) to be fairly strong, with the secondary characters somewhat suffering (Joachim is the best character, but he's not exactly deep), Bacon is still 100% bacon. I'll definitely give you that Shadow Hearts 1's voice acting was just really bad, not chaos war bad, but still pretty awful, but Covenant is actually pretty good.

The series does slide lighter in tone, with Covenant managing to balance the Horror-Comedy pretty well, while From the New World is scorned for veering too much on the silliness.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Robindaybird posted:

The series does slide lighter in tone, with Covenant managing to balance the Horror-Comedy pretty well, while From the New World is scorned for veering too much on the silliness.

From the New World doesn't so much veer into silliness as drive full-throttle through silliness and into bizarre from the far side. I'm quite fond of it, though I acknowledge it careens pretty far off the rails.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

From the New World doesn't so much veer into silliness as drive full-throttle through silliness and into bizarre from the far side. I'm quite fond of it, though I acknowledge it careens pretty far off the rails.

If From the New World hadn't billed itself as a Shadow Hearts game, it would be better received as they did really perfect the battle system

Nimsant
May 7, 2015
Hi! I am basically a silent TDI stalker on these forums.
What I like best about your LPs, is the game choice.
I discovered Drakengard and Nier, and then Limbo. And then all the rest of your LPs are about games, that, despite many shortcomings, are actually the hidden gems for me. I

I have played Koudelka before, but don't remember it, and I don't know much about its lore.
Its just I know Japanese and thought I may contribute.
I am most likely not diligent enough to transcribe the drama word-to-word. And I am sorry my English may be clumsy since I learned it from JRPGs and internet.
So here is the summary of the first part:

Koudelka has a nightmare about her mother, who is trying to kill her.
She wakes up in a cart, intending to get out at the nearest village.
The driver warns her, that this place has nothing but ghosts.

She stays at some house.
She hears the voice of Ellaine, who just says "Koudelka.... help...." in a creepy ghostly voice, and Koudelka seems disturbed.
Then she sees a little girl, named Alicia.
According to her words, the girl lives nearby, with her mom and dad.
She inquires about Koudelka's parents. Koudelka replies, that her parents are far away, but are actually very kind people, however, at the same time, remembers her mother's scream "Die!". Koudelka asks Alicia if her parents are OK that she is here so late in the night.
Alicia says that they told her to wait. The villagers were very mean to her mother, and to Alicia too, and her mother cried a lot. Her father decided to move out somewhere far away from here and told Alicia to wait in the house. But no one came. Then there were flames around, and it was hot, very hot. And the voices of her parents were just outside, and she couldn't move. And then the flames were gone, but her parents didn't come, and no one came, and she waited.
And then some other people that are not from this village came and went away.
So she asks Koudelka not to go away.

If this kind of clumsy translation is alright, and it is OK to post here, I can give summaries of other parts in this style later.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Robindaybird posted:

I feel like the characterization of the core in the first two games (Yuri, Alice, Karin) to be fairly strong, with the secondary characters somewhat suffering (Joachim is the best character, but he's not exactly deep), Bacon is still 100% bacon. I'll definitely give you that Shadow Hearts 1's voice acting was just really bad, not chaos war bad, but still pretty awful, but Covenant is actually pretty good.

SPLOOOOOOOOOOOSH. SKREEEEEEEEEEEE.

(it will never leave my brain)

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XXV: The Apostle

You know, I feel like Patrick’s Mansion is less a mansion and more just a renovated church annex. That’s like me calling my tool shed a summer home or the garage a guest bungalow. I mean its front door is just to a courtyard that goes nowhere. Does it even have windows to the outer side of the monastery?

If you need a refresher on where we are relatively in Nemeton Monastery, here’s a look at the map. We’re now on the other side of the church where the Gargoyle is hanging out waiting for us to eventually come back and fight it. Well, either that or a rich CEO will move Nemeton monastery to a skyscraper roof brick by brick and it’ll be someone else’s problem.

At the far end of the Vestry/Patrick’s Quarters connecting hallway, we find an elaborate ornamental display Koudelka seems to want to fiddle with here. Taking a closer look reveals...

A puzzle, naturally. What else were you expecting? Koudelka seemingly has an obsessive compulsive need to mess with these dolls strictly from right to left. So we need to decide with each doll whether it is facing the correct direction or not. It’s not too hard a leap of logic to figure the puzzle wants all four dolls facing to the center structure...

...Which means dolls number one and four need to be turned around. Mystery solved to a locked door we’ve yet to even lay eyes upon. That’s the way Sacnoth rolls with its game design.

Turns out it just unlocked the gate in the very next room. Why the architects of the monastery felt the need to have just this segment of hallway barred off between a couple of doors is a mystery to all. Perhaps Raccoon City’s architects hailed from Wales. Was George Trevor Welsh...?

As I stated previously, we’re plum out of new enemies during random battles. But the beasties trolling the Vestry were kind enough to drop a couple more weapons we’ll near immediately discard to make room for the next item unlock to add to our arsenal.

Edward, would you like your punch to also be a stab? Well son, we got you the hook-up. Dual-class in punch boy and stabby boy! It’s a revolution!

If that’s not working for you, we’ve also got this... bladed pinwheel on the end of a glove? This in no way looks safe or efficient as a weapon. Does it blow in the breeze? I cannot imagine a deadly fan stuck to the end of your hand can result in anything other than eventually lopping off a finger by mistake. I bet Voldo from Soul Calibur would be into these. If something this dumb wasn’t already one of his alternate weapons. Dude has giant scissors, a drill and tambourines stuck to gloves. A chopper fan isn’t that outlandish.

I’d also just like to note that Koudelka leveled up to some random trash mob. I’d been keeping her Intelligence, PIE and Mind stats even for the most part. That eventually paid off. :v:

Getting back on track, we’re now in the Vestry proper. We’ve got three directions we can head from here. Straight ahead leads to the area boss fight. Spoilers.

To the left is a gate barring... another gate which in turn ought to lead to the western clock tower. We’d best be wary of men running with scissors, evil pirate grandpas and sledgehammers. Unless it turns out Koudelka used to be a Rooder. Then it’s probably fine. I get very upset it'll take me like five minutes to remember the name of some mildly obscure actor in something off the top of my head with looking it up. But my memory can drum up the name of the stupid magical girl term from Clock Tower 3 at the drop of a hat.

The path to the right leads into a dimly lit adjoining room. Those unlit candles by that altar looks suspicious. But rather than investigating it when clicking on the table, Koudelka instead decides to jump up on it like an ill-mannered weirdo. This results in...

Maybe if you lit a candle... The room brightens as you light the candle. Lighting the candle used up your last match; you throw away the now-empty “Tinderbox”.

Yeesh, Koudelka. Did nobody tell you not to litter? Especially, while standing on some holy altar in the middle of a church. I’m not even religious and I know that’s kind of a dick move. Whatever you saw had best be good...

...Come again?

Ah, naturally a life siphoning super sword was lost behind the cushions of some couch in a dark room in the back of the monastery. The description of the Lifedrinker is... just outright wrong. This sword steals a significant amount of HP (and heals the person swinging it.) It has no negative effects on the wielder whatsoever. Lifedrinker adds an impressive +35 Strength and Dexterity and lowers -5 Vitality, -3 Agility and -6 Luck. Which isn’t too bad of a trade-off. It also is considered a special weapon, so it gets a default minimum of 100 strikes before it can potentially break.

It’s probably objectively the second best sword in the game. Two weapons have higher stat boosts but one of ‘em... has an issue we’ll tackle when we obtain it very shortly.

Retracing our steps and getting back on course, let’s see what’s in the northern door of the central Vestry hall.

To the shock of no one, since I just said earlier in the update that the boss was in the top route room are you EVEN paying attention, something is not right in here. We’re going to do a touch of preparatory work before venturing forth.

Namely, we’re going to equip Edward with Ogden’s Axe. Apparently the first use of fingerprinting to identify a murderer was in 1892. But ehh... it’s probably fine if you get your mitts all over the murder weapon, pal. An extra 40 Strength will do us well in this upcoming fight. The drain on maximum HP is a bit much. But it’s manageable for our purposes.

New Music: Incantation Again ~ Live
(Just the normal version plays here but gently caress it. It’s the Disc 3 end boss. Have a special rendition.)

So... this happening now. Meet the final boss of Disc 3 -- The Apostle... who looks to be on loan from a Shin Megami Tensei game. It’s always good to see some manner of angelic being that is less like the contemporary elves sans pointing ears and plus wings and more the actual biblical description of hosed up Lovecraftian horrors.

Unlike a good chunk of bosses in Disc 3, this one 'tis a troubling foe and comes packing an 8281 units of health, Arisen. Koudelka had initiative in this fight so we’re IMMEDIATELY going to toss a Level 3 Flare at the Apostle. This is technically a Wind (and Light) Elemental enemy. But it is not actually weak to any form of magic. This is the most damage we’re going to be putting out from any attack on that front.

Meanwhile we’ll have Edward rush in and do the business with Ogden’s Axe. He needs to redeem himself after our resident tank has been less than useful offensively the past few major encounters.

In fact, we’re going to have James pump him full of fortifies for Agility and Strength since Edward is the MVP for this battle for one very important reason we’ll see in a moment.

Edward will also be the one tanking most of the damage. The Apostle has a physical attack with a very appropriate (it’s not set this was just damage calculation luck) damage output that will only hit anyone on the front row. The Apostle doesn’t seem to have much interest in moving from its position. It took a lot of work to get itself hanging upside down from a holy energy ring. It’s not going to muck it up moving a couple squares on the grid.

Apostle also has a sweeping laser blast (which only actually targets a single character despite the animation) that does comparable damage to its physical slap. This one at least has the potential to target James and Koudelka. Though in our case, the Apostle just REALLY hated Edward and targeted him most of the time.

The thing about its physical and laser attacks is that they have a chance of inflicting Paralysis which is less than optimal for Edward. We’ll need to burn a Panacea or two getting Edward back on task. Thankfully, it was only the once during this fight. We’re pretty low on status clearing items seeing as... we’ve picked up three back in Disc 1 and three more since then. With two of them being burned during the Dark Young boss battle. They’re kinda stingy with those in this game. Meanwhile we're carrying around 50 whiskeys we've only had to use exactly once ever thus far.

Getting the brunt of damage and having lower HP than normal thanks to Ogden’s Axe, if James isn’t buffing then he’ll need to heal if Edward falls anywhere short of around 900 total HP. James is strong enough with magic that it’s straight up a full heal on Ed, so we can let him ride pretty long before giving him a boost.

The creature’s third and final attack is summoning a holy light from the heavens to target anyone in the back rows. This is considered a magical attack so Koudelka/James will straight no-sell it damage wise. Unfortunately, this attack also is almost guaranteed to inflict Silence and that is... problematic for casters. The only time Apostle used it in our fight was just before he died, so it wasn’t too much of an inconvenience. But we might have just gotten lucky.

But enough about all that. We should get to the actual heart of the problem with this boss. It has a unique gimmick to it. The Apostle has two idle stances when it’s not attacking. One is almost entirely stationary and just floats serenely as the eerie nightmare it is...

At other times, it will start violently shaking non-stop like it’s having some manner of seizure. This idle animation is the big problem. It’s also the reason why Edward is important this battle.

Physical attacks while the Apostle is having a fit will all miss. It is completely impossible to hit it, even if you cheated your stats all up to maximum. It’s just immune to physical strike damage 100% of the time. But that’s just a wasted Edward turn and no big deal.

Magical attacks, on the other hand, will be completely absorbed and heal the Apostle for the amount of damage it would normally have damaged it. That’s a REAL problem. Additionally, as far as I can tell the Apostle has no set tell or even time when it’ll switch between twitchy mode and calm mode. It’ll just pop between the states as soon as any action (its own or the parties) has concluded. So you can run into fun instances where Koudelka can queue up a magic attack and have it revert to the dancing state by the time she actually casts the attack. As such, using magic at all is a risky proposal.

Which is why we have reliable Edward and Ogden’s Axe. Pumping Edward full of magical Strength and Agility drugs from the resident Fortify dealer James can get Eddie swinging 1-2 times every time the Apostle chills out and is a reliable way to chip away effectively at Apostle until it’s dead without risk of screwing timing/angering the RNG gods and restoring a fifth of its HP from an ill-timed magic attack.

Plus now that Ogden’s Axe is covered in otherworldly abomination blood that should cancel out any evidence pointing to Edward being the Welsh Axemen serial killer. Nice bonus!

Slaying the Apostle gets us one step closer to getting revenge on Griffith an upgraded Crossbow. Sure, why not? Like all the gun upgrades we’ve been picking up this disc, the Crossbow is a flat upgrade to the Bowgun across the board. It’s still a single shot weapon, unfortunately. It wouldn’t be until 1998 technology advanced to the point Bowguns fired as many bolts as you could stuff into ‘em. The science just wasn’t there yet.

Music: ENDS

Destroying the boss of the Vestry of course restores the Holy Water Font and gives us a permanent save point. Just in time too!

That time is upon us one last time. 11:11:11 and 43 items in our inventory, a saved game and a reset later and we get...

The Gargoyle Killer – the strongest sword in the game. Kinda. This variation of the Bastard Sword grants +99 Strength, Vitality, Dexterity and Agility at the cost of -20 Intelligence, PIE, Mind and Luck. There is a catch though... It breaks after just three hits. Granted... those three hits will almost assuredly do what it says on the front of the box -- kill the Gargoyle. I suppose that is a decent reward for putting up with all this item unlock nonsense.

There is one final unlockable weapon. However, that requires having a total playtime twice this at 22:22:22 and... man there’s maybe two hours left of this game. Tops... I’m not setting an alarm on my phone and being sure to be near my computer like nine hours later just properly show a screenshot of a brokenly overpowered weapon. Yes, it’s not hard to accomplish that in theory. Having an incredibly inconsistent schedule at all times between work and two kids however makes it a real big ask to do that poo poo, ya dingus. Here’s the final weapon:

It’s just a loving 2x4 Board renamed to Roger’s Cane that gives whoever has it equipped (Koudelka) +99 Intelligence and Piety, making magic absurdly powerful in a game with no enemies that actually require being that strong to beat. You’d have my day scheduled around being home to get this crap? A very magical piece of wood from Home Depot!? I hope you tumble out a window in precisely 12:12:12 from when you’re reading this. :argh:

Ahem... Where were we...? Ah yes, we killed the Apostle. This boss was somehow a physically load bearing creature as the gate to the left of the boss room chamber has suddenly vanished. That’s one of the few bosses where you could tell me it was producing “a mysterious force” and I’d nod and say that checks out. But no. It was connected to some manner of actual switch that lowered a gate out of the way. Sure, why not?

Approaching the former site of this gate will lead to the final scene of Disc 3. So...

This must be the temple.
<shoves door> There’s no way! Even if I put a bullet through it and it wouldn't budge!
<fruitlessly shoves on door> Please don’t start randomly shooting the door.
<crackles knuckles> All right, then. I’ll ju—
Don’t punch the gate either, Edward!
...No. I-I wasn’t. Well...

What are we gonna do!?
How ironic to have made it this far and not have access to the temple.
I don’t think that’s irony. That’s just rotten luck.
Same difference.

Koudelka, Edward. You both must go now. It is my friend that is apparently responsible for this disturbance and therefore I am partially responsible for this trouble.
There’s a lot of things I could blame you for but... that’s not remotely one of them... That old mummy man is more at fault than you.
I don’t know. I feel like the Catholic Church as a whole has an assist in this whole mess.

I have no of intention for asking for your sympathy and I am no position to plead for your help. So from this point forward, I can manage on my own.
<walks up to James> Don’t kid yourself. We didn't come along just for your sake.
I’m the one this Elaine’s ghost summoned here. I’m not leaving until this gets sorted out and I stop getting bugged by wandering spirits at 3:00 AM while I’m trying to sleep...

No. Koudelka you should go back now. It'll be far too dangerous.
Edward, you're the one who should go home. You were not meant for this world. Granted you are a good fighter, having had plenty of experience and I won't deny the fact that you have the killer instinct either. But when all is said and done, you are an average Joe. I am not... I was meant to exist in this realm. It's the only place I can carve out an existence for myself.
This is my normal.
Hey! Who just killed that eye covered... angel thing, huh? Me!
...I just said you’re a pretty good fighter. Aside from that, you also have no absolutely no stakes here, Edward. You’re just some random guy who wandered into other peoples’ story and got caught up in something well above his head, is the point.

Quit lecturing me! I want no part of a lukewarm existence filled with regret. No... My way is to not worry about consequences and to do whatever it is that I want to do... Chance means nothing to me. Life's a gamble and once you place your bet you better play to win or else you end up dead.
You do realize if I hadn’t showed up you would have ended up dead twice within the hour we met, right?
Yeah well... I didn’t die. So luck was on my side! I was right taking that bet coming here!
That's not how that—you know what? Forget it.

<chuckles> You really are ridiculous...
That’s what they tell me.
<walks up to gate and starts examining it> Do as you like...
That I will!
<gestures to gate> Oh! Suddenly when you feel like it you decide when you can and cannot open doors...?
I mean... I still haven’t tried punching it...

...Wait! There's a way. Remember when we were searching Patrick's mansion? There was various chemicals around. It may take some time, but I think I can combine the chemicals to make nitroglycerine.
Nitroglycerine!?
That's great! We're talking POWERFUL explosives here!
No back it up, James. How do you know how to mix nitroglycerine!?
I had a minor in chemistry back in university before switching over to theology after... the Elaine and Patrick business...
So you dabbled in it... what? Twenty years ago? So long ago I wasn’t even BORN yet?
I was a very diligent study, thank you very much.
That doesn’t fill me with confidence...

For this door I think we'll need a full flask. Indeed if I drop the flask before I return, I'll be knocking on Heaven's door in a flash!
That is not reassuring!
Naw, this is going to be great!
You just want to see something explode...
No! Don’t be silly.
Uh-huh.
<nods wisely> No that’s not it... I’m hoping I get to shoot the flask to MAKE it explode.
This plan is going to kill us all...

“I go and it is done. The bell invites me.”
"Hear it not, Duncan, for it is a knell. That summons thee to heaven or to hell.” <walks off to begin his task>
<deep sigh> You idiots are going to get me killed...

And with that, Disc 3 of Koudelka draws to a close. Hey, that was actually a decent stopping point for a disc transition for a change! Still no save point or anything. But... baby steps. In any case, tune in next time for the dawn of the final disc of Koudelka! The plan to blow up a door with nitroglycerine in order to toss a dead saint’s arm into a magic cooking pot and burn/drown the resurrected body of some overly religious lady who died off-screen two decades ago now commences! Stay tuned...

Video: Episode 25 Highlight Reel

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 31, 2018

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Nimsant posted:

If this kind of clumsy translation is alright, and it is OK to post here, I can give summaries of other parts in this style later.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm down for this.

Picayune posted:

SPLOOOOOOOOOOOSH. SKREEEEEEEEEEEE.

(it will never leave my brain)

That was cheesy but it also added to how scary it was. This was the same game where one of the first enemies is a typical giant spider, but the bestiary describes it as literally jumping on someone when they least expect it and injecting a corrosive poison into the victim's anus before eating it alive.

EDIT: And an update! Nice Gargoyles reference, heh.

The Dark Id posted:

Did has giant scissors, a drill and tambourines stuck to gloves.

Should be "dude."

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 29, 2018

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If you get a game over from running while holding the nitroglycerin I'm suing the developers on behalf of Capcom.

No, wait. I'll sue Capcom on behalf of Sacnoth

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

We’re now on the other side of the church where the Gargoyle is hanging out waiting for us to eventually come back and fight it. Well, either that or a rich CEO will move Nemeton monastery to a skyscraper roof brick by brick and it’ll be someone else’s problem.

Those gargoyles were in no position to eat the work crew. Or the CEO. I'm thinking Xanatos gives this one a pass.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Robindaybird posted:

If From the New World hadn't billed itself as a Shadow Hearts game, it would be better received as they did really perfect the battle system

Or really just if it wasn't the last one. The series jumping around history for Shadow Hearts-style historical hijinks, with tone changes in keeping with the period of history they're visiting, wouldn't be the worst thing to do with the whole concept. But having two games telling the story of one dude with a blend of character drama and comedy then suddenly the third is an entirely different set of people with an almost purely comedic tone through everyone for a loop. If you had another game with either a similar tone to From the New World or another tone entirely you'd get people on the same page of "Shadow Hearts is more about the world/magic system/combat style, not just Yuri's Story".
(Although I dunno that Shadow Hearts was such a firm name that changing it and doing "Shadow Hearts is Yuri's story, the series moves on to a new name for this new phase" wouldn't have been a better move, as you say. But I think if the series had made it one more entry it wouldn't have mattered much.)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CmdrKing posted:

Or really just if it wasn't the last one. The series jumping around history for Shadow Hearts-style historical hijinks, with tone changes in keeping with the period of history they're visiting, wouldn't be the worst thing to do with the whole concept. But having two games telling the story of one dude with a blend of character drama and comedy then suddenly the third is an entirely different set of people with an almost purely comedic tone through everyone for a loop. If you had another game with either a similar tone to From the New World or another tone entirely you'd get people on the same page of "Shadow Hearts is more about the world/magic system/combat style, not just Yuri's Story".
(Although I dunno that Shadow Hearts was such a firm name that changing it and doing "Shadow Hearts is Yuri's story, the series moves on to a new name for this new phase" wouldn't have been a better move, as you say. But I think if the series had made it one more entry it wouldn't have mattered much.)
They were actually planning a fourth game and it was going to be a prequel taking place before even Koudelka starring Yuri's dad, Ben. Apparently FTNW wasn't even going to be considered a mainline title if that game came out because the series director called it the real SH3.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 29, 2018

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

quote:

No back it, James.

should be back up, I think

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Nimsant posted:

Sure, I'd be interested to read the rest.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
We are going to have a mandatory "walk very slowly" section now.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
It worked for Resident Evil, didn't it? I think...? It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure there's a sequence like that in the basement lab where you need to... fuel a generator or something? Because good ol' diesel is just way too pedestrian for Umbrella Incorporated, you gotta use some super-nitroglycerin to power the place instead. Next to the big glass tubes with big mean monsters in them. And the vials full of pathogens. And...

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Dark Id posted:

I some angry it'll take me like five minutes to remember the name of some mildly obscure actor off the top of my head.

That not how that—you know what? Forget it.[/i]
"so angry" and "that's" respectively?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Unfortunately Shadow Hearts 1 is the only one that tries to keep the whole gothic horror aesthetic going . This series gets chewed by the wacky anime nonsense singularity of JRPGs pretty quick. Anything that sets a series' writing apart must be consumed.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Covenant is definitely lighter in tone than Koudelka and 1 but it still maintained a balance between zaniness and the series Gothic/Lovecraftian horror roots, Covenant shares that unique, dark, rather irreverent tone that its predecessors had that separated them from most JRPGS even to this day. FTNW was the one that threw more of that out of the window that it became more of a detriment. I do like most of FTNW's silliness mind you, like how can you not like oddball stuff like a Polish-American dude raised and trained by a secret clan of ninjas living in the Amazon, a giant talking cat that is a master of drunken boxing and is pals with Al Capone, or a character is essentially El Mariachi in 1920's Chicago? But ultimately FTNW did lose a good deal of the series' tone set by Koudelka to a fault. Also Johnny is such a bland and cliche protagonist compared to Koudelka and Yuri, who are still some of the best and most unique JRPG protagonists of all time, that's it not even funny.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 30, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

As the series goes on, the gameplay continues to improve, but the story and aesthetics keep getting worse. Shadow Hearts and Covenant are both really good in at least one of those aspects and good enough in the other one that they're both great games, but it's hard to really compare them. I personally prefer the original, but I can see where someone might like Covenant better.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I guess Covenant sort of had the aesthetic in the strictest visual sense of the word, but practically nothing in that game actually played out like a horror story. Maybe one or two side quests. It's not even the levity that's the problem, SH1 had plenty of that too, it's just that when you do it by adding a wacky butt-wiggling gay man collecting homoerotic pinups in the middle of your creepy lovecraftian dungeon area you start having tone problems.

SH1 works despite not being straight horror because instead of trying to slam the square peg in a round hole it changes things up by subverting one or two details at a time. Mainly by making the main character a cocky rear end in a top hat who thinks he's able to deal with any demonic spirit once they get in the punching range. Which is kind of similar to how Koudelka starts out like a werewolf attack and attempted poisoning by a creepy old couple is just another loving monday in the exorcism profession.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw, look at 'em now. Where before they were ill-advisedly breaking down doors while shouting at each other, now they're ill-advisedly breaking down doors together!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

BioMe posted:

SH1 works despite not being straight horror because instead of trying to slam the square peg in a round hole it changes things up by subverting one or two details at a time. Mainly by making the main character a cocky rear end in a top hat who thinks he's able to deal with any demonic spirit once they get in the punching range.
Except Yuri's absolutely right, and he is absolutely able to deal with every demonic spirit once they get into punching range, one or two plot beats nonwithstanding :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Except Yuri's absolutely right, and he is absolutely able to deal with every demonic spirit once they get into punching range, one or two plot beats nonwithstanding :v:

But that's part of what makes it so refreshing and satisfying.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
But Covenant has Yuri dancing with a wolf. Therefore it’s superior to the other games

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I'd figured we'd use the acid to melt a hole through the gate, or take the hinges off, not James suddenly knowing how to make explosives.

The Dark Id posted:

As I stated previously, we’ve plum out of new enemies

I so angry that it'll take me like five minutes

Unlike a good chunk of bosses in Disc 3, this one 'tis troubling foe and comes packing an 8281 units of health

The Apostle has two idle stances when it’s not attacking. One it almost entirely stationary

There’s no way! Even if I put a bullet through and it wouldn't budge!

I don't know Dragon's Dogma well enough to know if that should be "this one 'tis a troubling foe". Also dunno if you're getting a game script somewhere for the cutscenes or doing it by ear, but feels and sounds like Edward should be saying "through it, it wouldn't budge"

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Zagglezig posted:

I'd figured we'd use the acid to melt a hole through the gate, or take the hinges off, not James suddenly knowing how to make explosives.

One thing about nitroglycerin is that it's annoyingly easy to make in any vaguely well-equipped laboratory. This is why it's a bad idea for a high school chemistry lab to stock glycerin soap- the name just begs some teenaged shithead to think 'Hey, all I have to do is extract the glycerin, add a nitrate group, and make something awesome' and then you have to bring the bomb squad in to defuse your lab sinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Ratoslov posted:

One thing about nitroglycerin is that it's annoyingly easy to make in any vaguely well-equipped laboratory. This is why it's a bad idea for a high school chemistry lab to stock glycerin soap- the name just begs some teenaged shithead to think 'Hey, all I have to do is extract the glycerin, add a nitrate group, and make something awesome' and then you have to bring the bomb squad in to defuse your lab sinks.

That's called having gumption and personal initiative! 'course if you've got real ambition and want to get into a top school, the question is how many nitro groups you can fit into a molecule.

And frankly anyone who's never had to call in the bomb squad to clean up their mess is probably a poor excuse of a chemistry teacher.

• Locked thread