Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Creep Street has some cool poo poo. Showed the residents in the shelter that I work in and they're as stoked as I am.

Thanks for posting about that shop. The prices are a bit much for what I usually like to spend but drat I need some of these t shirts.

e: correction, I need everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I have a problem

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Myeahh!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Skeletor is love

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hahaha what the poo poo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Those are badass!

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Hell yeah a lotta yall about to look fresh this summer. Just picked these up myself real cheap from an Etsy shop.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Used my REI dividends to get a set of Salomon X Ultra 3 GTX Low’s.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Tired of my pool deck and driveway looking old and dirty. It was cheap and has great reviews everywhere.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Used my REI dividends

Your what now?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

colas posted:

Your what now?

REI is a co-op and if you pay a $20 one time fee you get an annual dividend back which is a percentage of what you spent in the store. You can get it as store credit or cash it out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Co-op, baby.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Used my REI dividends to get a set of Salomon X Ultra 3 GTX Low’s.

I keep meaning to buy sensible shoes to walk about in but they are all so ugly :( My feet are a victim of my vanity.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah they’re not fashionable per se but holy cow they’re awesome when I’m out on trails.

Oh yeah, I moved from the spacious Pacific Northwest to the DC area.
:negative:

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah they’re not fashionable per se but holy cow they’re awesome when I’m out on trails.

Oh yeah, I moved from the spacious Pacific Northwest to the DC area.
:negative:

I hope you're not implying there's nowhere to hike in the DC area.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rubiks Pubes posted:

REI is a co-op and if you pay a $20 one time fee you get an annual dividend back which is a percentage of what you spent in the store. You can get it as store credit or cash it out.

REI is a generally respectable company but the whole membership system is a scam and the dividends are just a way to get you to buy more, and you come out way better by shopping around for basically any outdoor gear besides their in house brand. Their garage sales are legit though and make the membership worth it. Tons of yuppies selling $2k worth of outdoor gear they used once for pennies on the dollar.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

7of7 posted:

I hope you're not implying there's nowhere to hike in the DC area.

Having lived in the DC area and currently living in the PNW, it's definitely a downgrade in quality and number of trails

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

pennies on the dollar.

I don't completely understand this phrase. Like, I do but I don't.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Bottom Liner posted:

Tired of my pool deck and driveway looking old and dirty. It was cheap and has great reviews everywhere.

How cheap? Link?

I just borrow my dad's once a year but it'd be a useful thing to have...

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

Having lived in the DC area and currently living in the PNW, it's definitely a downgrade in quality and number of trails

Shenandoah National Park and all the trails in MD Northwest of DC are pretty great but as someone originally from the Rocky Mountain region I can see how someone could prefer the Cascades. It's hard to beat the views and scale of huge mountain ranges.

That being said if anyone has to move to the DC area they should know the hiking in the area is surprisingly good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lawen posted:

How cheap? Link?

I just borrow my dad's once a year but it'd be a useful thing to have...

$79 at Lowe’s currently

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

colas posted:

If you can fit your pennies on a dollar you get the gear for free. Great deal my friend. Best Regards, Jerry Cotton.

Open Bobs please.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Picked this up at frys. 1440p 144hz, thing is awesome!
https://www.amazon.com/LG-32GK850G-B-Gaming-Monitor-Refresh/dp/B078TTXLW5

also has a huge RGB ring on the back:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
That’s dumb as hell but also kinda rad?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Speaking of, can anyone recommend a 32" 144hz monitor? 4k isn't necessary but would be welcome.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of, can anyone recommend a 32" 144hz monitor? 4k isn't necessary but would be welcome.

32" is kind of a non-standard monitor size so you might have to settle for something like 30" or 27" but https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gaming-monitors/

edit: here's their 4k monitor page: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-4k-monitors/

I don't think high frame-rate (HFR) 4k monitors are much of a thing right now unless you're willing to pay assloads of money.

Fayez Butts has a new favorite as of 16:48 on May 28, 2018

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I mean, that one I just got/posted is a 32'' 144hz monitor, lol.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's great, i don't need a lamp behind my monitor anymore. Does whatever colors you want.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

I mean, that one I just got/posted is a 32'' 144hz monitor, lol.

Well there we go :thumbsup:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

colas posted:

A few percent.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yeah I don’t care about owning a PC but I do totally dig what is happening with computer style.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I don’t know if backlighting screens actually does anything for like the lighting of the room or if it like reduces glare, but I’m always happy to see some good lighting, especially if it brings the real world closer to being lit like a Refn movie.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Round trip flight to Baltimore. :toot:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Coffee And Pie posted:

I don’t know if backlighting screens actually does anything for like the lighting of the room or if it like reduces glare, but I’m always happy to see some good lighting, especially if it brings the real world closer to being lit like a Refn movie.

Bias lighting is a thing, and helps. It would be great if those LEDs were around the back edge and tracked the edge colour of the picture.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fayez Butts posted:

I don't think high frame-rate (HFR) 4k monitors are much of a thing right now unless you're willing to pay assloads of money.
You'll also need assloads of money for a video card capable of driving a 144 Hz 4k display.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Subjunctive posted:

Bias lighting is a thing, and helps. It would be great if those LEDs were around the back edge and tracked the edge colour of the picture.

There are some that will take the average color (or temp) and project that on the wall behind.

It's a very nice effect when it works but I find it distracting.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mustang posted:

Since you're right on Virginia, you should check out Three Ridges Wilderness and Grayson Highlands--those are both spectacular places that should be fairly close to you. Monongahela National be Forest in West Virginia is another must see.

Wolfe Trappe National Park in DC is a neat little hike close to you, I've done it once, but might be a good spot to get some regular miles under your belt to stay in shape.

Red River Gorge in KY might be a bit further, but there's a gently caress ton of natural arches in the canyon, similar to Utah but with trees. I was actually just out backpacking there this weekend!

The Carolinas also have a ton of really cool stuff relatively close to you, especially out near Richmond. Google Roanoke River Paddle Trail, you can rent out platforms to camp on in the middle of the mangroves, it's really loving sweet and incredibly secluded.

Linville Gorge is another spot that should be very high up on your list.

Hell, you've got the entire breadth of the AT on your doorstep.

It's not the enchantments, but it's pretty loving great and there's a metric fuckton of poo poo right in your backyard if you look around a bit.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Geoj posted:

You'll also need assloads of money for a video card capable of driving a 144 Hz 4k display.

Yep, i have a regular gtx1080 and it's not uncommon to not get stable 60fps at 1440p (ultra settings). 4k would be good for desktop but the high refresh rate would be useless in gaming.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

At higher pixel density (4K at 27”, say) you can often turn expensive AA off or down, which helps. Monitors last longer than video cards, too — in my case 3 or more generations — and I expect Volta to be able to push >60 FPS on high quality graphics settings for most titles.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

OSU_Matthew posted:

The Carolinas also have a ton of really cool stuff relatively close to you, especially out near Richmond. Google Roanoke River Paddle Trail, you can rent out platforms to camp on in the middle of the mangroves, it's really loving sweet and incredibly secluded.

This looks sweet as hell, I love sleeping close to bodies of water. But I gotta ask, how mosquito-y does it get? The water looks pretty still and stagnant, and there's tree cover, so I'm thinking you're gonna need some industrial strength insect repellent, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shanghaied posted:

This looks sweet as hell, I love sleeping close to bodies of water. But I gotta ask, how mosquito-y does it get? The water looks pretty still and stagnant, and there's tree cover, so I'm thinking you're gonna need some industrial strength insect repellent, no?

Yeah during warm months you’ll need a head net and long clothing as well as spray. They’re worse there than in FL.