Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Donald Glover is definitely doing a Billy Dee Williams impression though, and it's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Joonas Suotamo does a drat good job as Peter Meyhew as Chewbacca.

Really though, everyone did well.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Han speaking Wookie was subtitled but Chewie wasn't.

So racist

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You mean that wasn't a throwback to the 20 minutes of Wookiee talk without subtitles from the Holiday Special??

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There just weren't any real consequences to the story. Like with Rogue One you kind of wondered " Are these people going to get out of this alive?" etc... Like sure we knew they got the plans but how and would they make it out.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

AndyElusive posted:

Joonas Suotamo does a drat good job as Peter Meyhew as Chewbacca.

Really though, everyone did well.

I wish they could have given Peter Mayhew a cameo as a weird alien in the background, but I'm really happy that they managed to work in Warwick Davis.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s crazy that Warwick Davis is actually playing the same background character he was in TPM.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Raccooon posted:

I figured it was after Ep 3. Maul can't go back to the Emperor because he already has Vader. Can't have two apprentices so gotta find another way to live.

Yep, has to be quite some time after Ep 3. The Empire's building/deploying proper Star Destroyers. Based on Maul's appearance (robot legs, wonky lightsaber), you could probably nail down exactly when

I think that's the one he has lateish in Rebels, which is set before, but leading into R1, so it's probably only a few years before Ep. 4

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 29, 2018

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

There just weren't any real consequences to the story. Like with Rogue One you kind of wondered " Are these people going to get out of this alive?" etc... Like sure we knew they got the plans but how and would they make it out.

My perspective on both films, going into them, was that if they didn't show up in the OT, they were DOA and I was just sitting there waiting for the respective shoes to drop.

Hot, quick take: I liked the film enough, but it felt perfunctory (like Rogue One) and I don't think there's enough there for a Solo backstory movie. There's just not enough from beginning-of-Solo to beginning-of-ANH to really justify the movie, and the one thing I felt would've been interesting (Han in the Imperial Navy) was glossed over in one line. Understandable given the type of movie this was, but the dearth of people using space magic and laser swords was also a negative.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I agree that Han’s experience under the Empire could have used more screen time except that it would have slowed down the beginning more. I haven’t read many EU books, so I’m sure there’s something that fills in the blanks, but I feel like there’s a story to be told about what it’s like being part of the Empire and Han could have been a good vehicle for that. I know there’s some exploration of being enlisted in the Empire in Rebels and Clone Wars but that’s more about basic training and youth indoctrination, not the actual boots-on-the-ground stuff.

I also think that this feels like the middle section of what was pitched as a potential Han trilogy—first film is young Han in the Empire, second one is Solo, third one is him being forced to deal with Crimson Dawn/Qi’ra. The Crimson Dawn/Qi’ra/Maul stuff definitely isn’t resolved in Solo, and I’m willing to bet the Fett movie picks up the plot where Solo leaves it off, and is followed in turn by a Kenobi movie to finish off Crimson Dawn/Maul. Basically a stealth “Crimson Dawn” trilogy, focusing on notable OT characters and their interactions with the syndicate. Which is actually pretty neat, and feels very Star Wars EU in a good way.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Han shot first

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

sportsgenius86 posted:

They killed this by releasing it on Memorial Day weekend. I don’t think it’s a Star Wars backlash at all. It’s a stand-alone movie that was never going to have the appeal of an episodic Star Wars movie and they released it on a weekend where people had other poo poo to do.

It's more than that since the international box office is also well down on the other movies.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Hollismason posted:

It is hilarious that if you are a character in a Disney prequel and will not be in the OT or setup for a subsequent sequel you will die

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Wank posted:

It is hilarious that if you are a character in a Disney prequel and will not be in the OT or setup for a subsequent sequel you will die

Does Rebels count?

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

gohmak posted:

Does Rebels count?

I have not seen much of it... does it? I mean, does that not still hold true? Relevancy or death.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Wank posted:

I have not seen much of it... does it? I mean, does that not still hold true? Relevancy or death.

It does not as they left quite a few characters alive. One even got to be an extra in ROTJ.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Man this is some whiny poo poo

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Barry Convex posted:

Han Solo, though? He's an archetypal "dashing scoundrel with a heart of gold" character that's been done many times before and since 1977. Not that there's anything wrong with him being an archetype - he's one of the very best examples of it - but no one except possibly Lawrence Kasdan thought he needed an origin story, and there was no way to sell it as anything but superfluous.

Solo isn’t an origin story.

It’s a prequel, but the character doesn’t actually develop. It’s just Teen Han doing stuff (while looking and often sounding uncannily like a young Jack Nicholson).

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You know a movies bad when it's driven SMG into sanity.

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

galagazombie posted:

[...]it's driven SMG into sanity.
how do y'all still not understand what the role of the SMG chatbot is?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Qualia posted:

how do y'all still not understand what the role of the SMG chatbot is?

Because I have him on ignore most of the time.

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

i'm shamed that i didn't see that answer coming

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Because I have him on ignore most of the time.

Shameful. You call yourself a Doctor.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

RareAcumen posted:

Man this is some whiny poo poo

This is loving hilarious.

galagazombie posted:

You know a movies bad when it's driven SMG into sanity.

This is also loving hilarious.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

porfiria posted:

This is loving hilarious.

And of course, the simplest solution for fans is the one they'd never consider ...

Just don't see them.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

how is fat darth maul gonna bang the khaleesi in the sequel with his dick half chopped off

edit: the half of his body with the dick, not half of his dick off

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

how is fat darth maul gonna bang the khaleesi in the sequel with his dick half chopped off

edit: the half of his body with the dick, not half of his dick off

He only thing that arouses Maul is the thought of his lightsaber penetrating Obi Wan.

Wait, that sounds pretty dirty too.

Here’s something:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Davros1 posted:

And of course, the simplest solution for fans is the one they'd never consider ...

Just don't see them.

This tanked at the box office so clearly they did.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It's a sad world we live in where hundreds of millions of dollars is a flop

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

It's a sad world we live in where hundreds of millions of dollars is a flop

It cost more to make than any of the last three movies and that's before you factor in what they must have spent on adverts etc. I think it needs something like $600 million just to break even and it's probably not getting there.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Reshooting most of your movie ain't cheap. You really don't see the money on screen, it's the first star war that doesn't look lovely.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

It cost more to make than any of the last three movies and that's before you factor in what they must have spent on adverts etc. I think it needs something like $600 million just to break even and it's probably not getting there.

The decision to do that would be part of their accounting. It probably cost them, what, 100mil to reshoot? Solo being a 150mil movie makes a bit more sense. Also everyone complains about there being bad and no marketing for Solo and then others say that marketing must of cost them 100s of millions. I think they probably ran a pretty cheap marketing campaign to cover the reshoot costs if not that the reshoot money directly came out of the marketing budget so in the end there is actually no overall difference. In that case they would have projected a lower box office due to the lack of marketing anyway and took the decision to think more long term with the franchise rather then risk a Lord & Miller Solo. From the sounds of it though, Lord & Miller were wildly over budget and behind schedule so maybe less difference in the end anyway.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It's pretty clear that this is going to ultimately be the lowest grossing Disney Star Wars film to date...but at the end of the day I don't think it'll be considered "a flop". Most of the talk of the movie I've seen (specifically from people who have actually seen it) has been pretty positive. I think Solo's gonna end up having some decent legs at the box office, especially in a couple weeks once we're a little more distant from Deadpool and Infinity War.

The worst thing I think we'll see going forward is that they double down on Star Wars being a December thing

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I don't understand the intense negativity that every single article on Solo I've seen has had.

I went into Solo yesterday with very low expectations because of it and I thought it was great. I'd sooner watch it again over Episode 1 or 2.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

YIKES

Only registered members can see post attachments!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Phantom Menace is better than AotC or RotS. Seriously. Go rewatch the prequel trilogy front to back. Your memory is betraying you. And stop listing to RLM, they're idiots.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought it was alright. Third act dragged and tried to introduce too many concepts and twists, but aside from that was fine.

There's not a lot of character development, but that's ok. Sometimes you can have a movie where some stuff happens and no one really learns anything. Y know like Seinfeld

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

lelandjs posted:

Phantom Menace is better than AotC or RotS. Seriously. Go rewatch the prequel trilogy front to back. Your memory is betraying you. And stop listing to RLM, they're idiots.

This is true, but Solo was still fundamentally a more entertaining movie to watch than any of them, in my opinion.

It's not really an origin story, it didn't fill in any gaps that we were curious about, it was just a fun way to piss away a few hours. There's nothing actually wrong with that, and I think disappointment over the nature of the film is a big reason why there's a divide between people who thought it was a decent movie and people who thought it was poo poo.

P.S. if you don't agree that AotC was the worst Star Wars movie, there's just no hope for you.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Matsuri posted:

I don't understand the intense negativity that every single article on Solo I've seen has had.

I went into Solo yesterday with very low expectations because of it and I thought it was great. I'd sooner watch it again over Episode 1 or 2.

This is Avengers 1 or whatever all over again, where the framing on the entire film was wrong but people were like “i don’t care I had fun!” Or when all the drama was cut out of Jurassic World.

It really gives the lie to the RLM thing when you can watch like six hours of video complaining about an insert shot of a sword being dropped, and yet don’t even notice when Lando has no characterization because his basic motivation was sloppily cut from the film.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

It's pretty clear that this is going to ultimately be the lowest grossing Disney Star Wars film to date...but at the end of the day I don't think it'll be considered "a flop". Most of the talk of the movie I've seen (specifically from people who have actually seen it) has been pretty positive. I think Solo's gonna end up having some decent legs at the box office, especially in a couple weeks once we're a little more distant from Deadpool and Infinity War.

The worst thing I think we'll see going forward is that they double down on Star Wars being a December thing

Incredibles 2 will probably squash it.