Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Maybe the clown who had them before you used enamel on the drones. Try some sort of enamel thinner on one.

As far as the primer being in the recesses, that’s somewhat typical for stripping models. Usually when you prime over it no significant amount of detail is lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I've got some second hand metal Infinity miniatures. Stripping them is driving me crazy. I soaked them in acetone for a bit, and then with a toothbrush the majority of the paint comes off almost immediately. The only things that remain are primer in some recesses (looking almost like a dark wash) and some of the drones that had crazy thick paint on them. So I sit them in acetone for the rest of the day. After that, no progress at all. So I let them sit in it overnight and most of the day. At this point they have been in acetone for probably 30 hours or so. Zero progress. I can't touch the primer in the recesses, and the drones still have nasty thick clumps of yellow in some parts.

I've tried scrubbing with soap, with dishwashing liquid and toothpaste. I've tried acetone-loaded q-tips and toothbrush. Nothing. Toothpicks managed to scrape off a tiny amount, but almost everything is in recesses too narrow for it.

What else can I do? Just sit it in acetone for another night? I've also got some IPA and some denatured alcohol I could try, but I assumed acetone would be more effective than those.

You can use a pick (little metal tool like the dentist uses) for stuff in recesses. I have had success with toluene on stubborn material that was resistant to acetone.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone have any advice on making custom stencils? I recently picked up the Giant Killer Robots board game and want to repaint up those mechs.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Just a heads-up, there's a one-day-only 60% A.C. Moore coupon today. So if you've been waiting to buy a $64 Patriot 105 this is the day.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Does Stynylrez work on metal? It's worked great on everything I've thrown at it before, but I've got some older metal minis in this stash and I've never tried the stuff on pewter/white-metal before.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Does Stynylrez work on metal? It's worked great on everything I've thrown at it before, but I've got some older metal minis in this stash and I've never tried the stuff on pewter/white-metal before.

It's worked amazing on my metal Sisters of Battle I recently painted up.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Finished up a Tech-Priest and my next batch of 10 Skitarii. The weapons on the TPD and Skitarii Alpha are magnetized, as well as all the heads on all the Skitarii.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Duct Tape posted:

Finished up a Tech-Priest and my next batch of 10 Skitarii. The weapons on the TPD and Skitarii Alpha are magnetized, as well as all the heads on all the Skitarii.

those came out fantastic

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Everything I paint is metal, and it's worked wonderfully so far. Good clean surface, bonds well to the mini, looks good.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Think I'm gonna try dipping a set of snowtroopers, now that my stormtroopers are done.

And maybe some black Nova troopers.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

What else can I do? Just sit it in acetone for another night? I've also got some IPA and some denatured alcohol I could try, but I assumed acetone would be more effective than those.

If you put them in a jar with any paint stripper containing dichloromethane, the paint will come off in 30sec

I’ve rescued hundreds of badly painted metal models using that stuff. Please note it’s extremely toxic. Read the instructions carefully.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Where do you buy scary poo poo like that?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Literally any hardware store. It’s just the stuff used to strip paint of metal drainpipes, roofing etc.

If you’re in the US this will work

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-gal-Stripper-GKS221/100207981

Yeast fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 28, 2018

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Be aware that it will straight up melt any plastic/resin/greenstuff/whatever components. The metal is the only thing that will survive.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is there a service that'll paint d&d minis? What if I just wanted 1 hero mini painted exquisitely? Most of the models I see base it upon army or use warhammer figures as the model.

Would anyone here be interested in doing something like that for me? I am considering a HeroForge figure.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Firstborn posted:

Is there a service that'll paint d&d minis? What if I just wanted 1 hero mini painted exquisitely? Most of the models I see base it upon army or use warhammer figures as the model.

Would anyone here be interested in doing something like that for me? I am considering a HeroForge figure.

I'd think most commission painters who do Warhammer minis would also do D&D minis for the same price/mm.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Firstborn posted:

If you're near a major city you can probably hire a decent local commission painter without fooling with shipping.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'd like to use Vallejo Primer because it's "airbrush ready" and I don't need to thin it down (unlike Mr Primer Surfacer, which was the one I used before) according to Internet. It's still rather thick. Is a 0.3mm needle big enough to spray this at 25 PSI or should I go for 0.5? I gave a shot at 0.5 and Jesus that blows a lot of paint, I had to go down to like 15/20 PSI.

What would be the best? 0.5mm and lower PSI or 0.3 and higher PSI? Or am I completely wrong?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What's everyones take on removing mold lines? The big garage-kits I work on, it's a requirement. And because the kits are big, it's easy to get rid of them. These minis though, is it worth it to try and get every mold line? Once they're painted up, are the lines generally small enough that they blend with everything, or do you still get in there with a blade and get out every mold line no matter how small?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Always thin your mold lines, drill your paints and file your gun barrels.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What's everyones take on removing mold lines? The big garage-kits I work on, it's a requirement. And because the kits are big, it's easy to get rid of them. These minis though, is it worth it to try and get every mold line? Once they're painted up, are the lines generally small enough that they blend with everything, or do you still get in there with a blade and get out every mold line no matter how small?
Always remove, at least where they can be seen at all. A model with mold lines left screams lazy to me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I probably spend an hour prepping each model in terms of removing mold lines, drilling barrels, adding bits to the bases, and gluing them to pieces of sprue for airbrushing. In general they really stand out.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
On plastic minis, it is usually sufficient to just scrape at them with the back of an Xacto knife or a Citadel(tm) Mouldline(tm) Scraper(tm).

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
I’ll spend however long it takes scraping mold lines and green stuffing+filing my stuff, but I understand that that is my decision and there’s absolutely no problem if another person doesn’t feel the need to do the same.

Unless of course you’re bragging about a paint job and have left the model festooned with mold lines. In that case I will silently judge you.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I loathe mold lines, remove em all. Even the ones nobody will see. Because you'll know its there.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I usually dont notice mold lines either at the start, but they begin to really stand out after priming. Use the corners of the back of your X-acto and you can scrape off most mold lines without harming detail significantly.

That being said, companies that are cool with having their mold line run down detail-heavy areas are the worst companies.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Destroy all mold lines

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Neurolimal posted:

That being said, companies that are cool with having their mold line run down detail-heavy areas are the worst companies.

This is why I was indifferent with the death of WM/H. Every loving "plastic" model had mold lines across eyes, noses, cheeks, gears, recessed details ... right across the areas your eyes are attracted to.

Whomever they subcontracted their design -> molding process should be sued for negligence.

Going back to the former Great Satan of GW was amazing. I went from an hour (or more) of mold line removal per model to a couple minutes. Also, the lovely resin/plastic hybrid they used didn't want to cooperate, as opposed to real plastic.

GW plastics are so dreamy. :allears:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Duct Tape posted:

These rock. I'm always a little worried that Martian Ironearth is going to be too close to the AdMech red, but there is enough tonal variation there to really make it different.

You did a great job on these models.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Flipswitch posted:

I loathe mold lines, remove em all. Even the ones nobody will see. Because you'll know its there.

This. Even lines I know can't possibly be seen need to go.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I never notice most mold lines until I'm painting, which makes me very mad but I'm too lazy to strip, scrape, and start over.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Duct Tape posted:

This is one of the best looking Tech-Priests I've seen. Nice work, dude.

mango sentinel posted:

I never notice most mold lines until I'm painting, which makes me very mad but I'm too lazy to strip, scrape, and start over.

I spent so much time yesterday getting rid of the mold lines on all my primaris and i just know that I missed some.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

mango sentinel posted:

If you didn't do airbrush or blending over the mould line, you can usually just scrape it without stripping the model. Not priming that one small line isn't really going to hurt.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Keeping brushable primer on hand is good for those cases when you discover mould lines after priming.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Two Beans posted:

Keeping brushable primer on hand is good for those cases when you discover mould lines after priming.

I’ve scraped mound lines after priming and brushed Stynylrez back onto the spot and it looked perfect. Hell now I almost expect to do that each time just because primer makes the lines so much easier to see.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Where's a good place to buy brushes and pigment online in Canada? None of my local places have a good selection, and meeplemart seems to be constantly out of stock.

Secret Weapon has what I want, but the shipping, customs and exchange rate are :canada:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Any reason I shouldn't decant some of this Nuln Oil and Seraphim Sepia into a dropper bottle since I'm clumsy and knock stuff over?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

Any reason I shouldn't decant some of this Nuln Oil and Seraphim Sepia into a dropper bottle since I'm clumsy and knock stuff over?

That seems like a great idea to me. I've managed to knock a few pots of Agrax Earthshade over and I must say washes are a pain to clean up.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Deviant posted:

You'll just need to get bottles bigger than the standard Vallejo/Scale75/whatever sized ones, as those aren't big enough to hold the entire contents of GW's new double-sized shade pots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Stephenls posted:

You'll just need to get bottles bigger than the standard Vallejo/Scale75/whatever sized ones, as those aren't big enough to hold the entire contents of GW's new double-sized shade pots.

Yeah, I wasn't gonna fully transfer it, I'll probably split it with my roommate anyway, so that works out well.