Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It would make sense if replicators produced a meal based on a template so it's exactly the same every time, which is nice and reliable but gets old after a while.

This is exactly what it is going by the last season of TNG and some early episodes of DS9. Replicator food tastes as good as the real thing but on a textbook "this is the real thing" level, you still need an individual's touch in there to fine tune it to nail really specific regional differences or some weird way you personally always cook a thing or whatever because recipes are always going to be subjective to the individual. In DS9 there's a lot of mention of and still a huge amount of trade of actual ingredients, sauces, seasonings, etc. stuff that a replicator won't quite nail the effects of when it's cooked into something over time. There's a huge amount of agriculture in Star Trek, with huge industrial use replicators of which there's like maybe twelve on a planet total that are used just to create the tools and infrastructure to farm as efficiently as possible, which leads to the other thing we learn early on in DS9 which is that good replicators are a huge deal and super expensive, the Federation having the good poo poo-caliber replicators on all their stuff is a huge luxury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ryonguy posted:

Okay so B5 is thinly veiled Star Trek fanfiction, got it.

literally never seen either

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Babylon 5 didn't invent space stations or having spiritual themes in scifi

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

No that was the Battlestar Galactica miniseries

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Wonder what the overlap of B5 and Firefly fans is in terms of mediocre sci-fi series nobody gave a poo poo about except :spergin: weirdos.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I hate Firefly but love caring about Babylon 5 too much and I stand by that although obviously the report was a joke

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Babylon 5 is thinly veiled Lord of the Rings fanfiction

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also, if there's no people cooking, variants and new dishes aren't going to be discovered. And with the amount of fusing cultures going on in the Federation, there's going to be a lot of experimenting to do. I'd think that alone would make restaurants popular.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's why DS9 station has the best cuisine. Where else can you get a root beer float-gagh martini with raktajino chaser.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So why didn't the crew of Voyager not eat literal-poison instead of what that... man served?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

That man was Neelix. You know. The gremlin looking fucker that was grooming the 2 year old to be his girlfriend.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
"Neelix can't cook for humans" was kind of a running gag in the series.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

ToxicSlurpee posted:

"Neelix can't cook for humans" was kind of a running gag in the series.

But how well could he cook humans?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

winterwerefox posted:

That man was Neelix. You know. The gremlin looking fucker that was grooming the 2 year old to be his girlfriend.

So a fan got to be on the show?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

So a fan got to be on the show?

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmut6FJ1d4M

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

winterwerefox posted:

monsieur pedo dicknose

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Oh god, as my brother reminded me, Neelix then started hanging out with Naomi Wildman after Kess left the show. Another 'They age faster, I guess' species? She was born on the ship.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think Firefly was good… for the first season of a Sci-fi show on network television at the turn of the century.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Firefly was pretty much a sci-fi Libertarian self-own.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Janeway murdering Tuvix didn’t age well.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think Firefly was good… for the first season of a Sci-fi show on network television at the turn of the century.

:same:

IIRC, didn't Firefly get hosed up much like the Clerks cartoon, in that the network aired episodes out of their intended order? I dug both those shows, albeit watching them on dvd in the proper order. Sucks that they both didn't get a chance for more episodes because the narrative and/or in-jokes just fell flat because some network chucklefuck screwed with the airing, and casual viewers just peaced out when their initial eps didn't make a lick of sense and ratings tanked.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The network had the train job episode air first and I think it's better than the normal pilot. It was designed to introduce the characters as well.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Sir Lemming posted:

Of course, ultimately the real answer to "what's the deal with Quark's" is they wanted to have an old West saloon guy because it was a frontier outpost in space.

when i first watched deadwood i felt like al swearengen was a very familiar character, like i knew him already. i just realized it's because he's quark only with massive, massive balls

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

:same:

IIRC, didn't Firefly get hosed up much like the Clerks cartoon, in that the network aired episodes out of their intended order? I dug both those shows, albeit watching them on dvd in the proper order. Sucks that they both didn't get a chance for more episodes because the narrative and/or in-jokes just fell flat because some network chucklefuck screwed with the airing, and casual viewers just peaced out when their initial eps didn't make a lick of sense and ratings tanked.

The same thing happened with the pretty decent Almost Human as well. Which hurt it pretty bad, since the most fun part of the show was the growing buddy-cop dynamic between Urban and Ealy. So you'd have one episode fairly early on where they're already palling around like old friends, and then the very next one they're back to a pretty cold "barely even know this guy" state, and then bouncing back and forth between those.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

The network had the train job episode air first and I think it's better than the normal pilot. It was designed to introduce the characters as well.

:agreed:

Apparently because Fox didn't want to air the two hour pilot, they were forced to write the script for the Train Job as a second pilot over a weekend. I still think Firefly didn't age well for the most part

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Gatekeeper posted:

when i first watched deadwood i felt like al swearengen was a very familiar character, like i knew him already. i just realized it's because he's quark only with massive, massive balls

Except Quark was a decent person deep down inside.
Very deep, but it's there.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Stairs posted:

Except Quark was a decent person deep down inside.
Very deep, but it's there.

He ended up liking rootbeer afterall, he can't be that bad.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BgRdMchne posted:

I mean, in the sense that it was just as terrible at the time it sort if did

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Araenna posted:

Also, if there's no people cooking, variants and new dishes aren't going to be discovered. And with the amount of fusing cultures going on in the Federation, there's going to be a lot of experimenting to do. I'd think that alone would make restaurants popular.

Hell, as said they demonstrate this in the very series with grandpa Sisko trying Ferengi-Cajun fusion cooking. And Jake's favourite breakfast combines Earth, Bajoran and Klingon food and drink.

A lot of DS9's best bits are showing how the ordinary people in the space future live. Hell, Ferengi are deliberately played as closer to 20th century Earth culture, they even have popular franchises with merchandise.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BgRdMchne posted:

Nor did Tuvix.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The episode of Frasier where Niles plays a video game just came to mind, and it is hilarious, remarably so given how most TV shows portrayed video games, and not just because games have changed since the 80s. (the main issue being how many writers never realised that) Any other cases where depictions of video games in a show HAVE aged well, or at least make sense taken as a period piece?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Are TV shows still putting atari sound effects in anytime a character plays a video game

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The episode of Frasier where Niles plays a video game just came to mind, and it is hilarious, remarably so given how most TV shows portrayed video games, and not just because games have changed since the 80s. (the main issue being how many writers never realised that) Any other cases where depictions of video games in a show HAVE aged well, or at least make sense taken as a period piece?

There were quite a few times in House MD where video games being played realistically. Then in one of the later seasons there was a hilariously dumb bad CGI section that was supposed to be a VR game, and they used clips from that to represent all video games in the universe from that point on (it appeared as a lightgun game and played with a regular controller).

There was a scene where Foreman and Taub are playing a game, and it's really obvious which of the actors has actually played video games (Omar Epps) because he's actually moving the sticks and pulling triggers/pushing buttons like you would in an FPS, and presses the Start button when the character wants to pause the game. Meanwhile Taub is just wildly mashing buttons.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There's more movies and shows that represent video games realistically now that they can get paid to do it. I'd bet tons of Sony movies do it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Spaced. I don't know if Jessica Stevenson is a huge nerd but Simon Pegg sure is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Quote-Unquote posted:

There were quite a few times in House MD where video games being played realistically. Then in one of the later seasons there was a hilariously dumb bad CGI section that was supposed to be a VR game, and they used clips from that to represent all video games in the universe from that point on (it appeared as a lightgun game and played with a regular controller).

There was a scene where Foreman and Taub are playing a game, and it's really obvious which of the actors has actually played video games (Omar Epps) because he's actually moving the sticks and pulling triggers/pushing buttons like you would in an FPS, and presses the Start button when the character wants to pause the game. Meanwhile Taub is just wildly mashing buttons.

Yeah, I’ve been watching House again since it’s on amazon prime and it’s great, they use poo poo like Metroid Fusion on GBA while he’s hiding from clinic duty and whatnot.

The thing that’s aged badly for me is that CPR and ACLS (the poo poo you do for cardiac arrests) has changed since 2004, so I keep wanting to be like “WRONG!” even though it was accurate at the time.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Spaced. I don't know if Jessica Stevenson is a huge nerd but Simon Pegg sure is.

They talk about this on the commentary, in fact. Edgar Wright hates seeing games fake-played in media.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Wasn't it an issue in Spaced too, that they kept focusing on the videogame and missing their cues?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Samuringa posted:

Wasn't it an issue in Spaced too, that they kept focusing on the videogame and missing their cues?

Yes, they had to fake play Resident Evil 2 (I think) for one scene because they kept concentrating on that instead of the acting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Mu Zeta posted:

The one good decision that Fox made with Firefly. I'm a moderate Firefly apologist, but drat is the pilot a slog compared to The Train Job.