Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Klopp wants Alisson as well. It’s happening.

Another boom bust cycle?

I’m chuffed if so, the last two have been incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ewar Woowar posted:

Looks like we learnt some lessons from last summer.

Two great midfielders coming in already. Add a keeper and another wide player and that's probably the best squad we've had since the eighties.

Need at least one bastard or you will fall at hands of a rival bastard again next season, it is known.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

hadji murad posted:

Another boom bust cycle?

I’m chuffed if so, the last two have been incredible.
Say what you will about Klopp, but he has taken the Scouse boom-bust cycle to overdrive. The booms are boomier and after Saturday, the busts are thermo-loving-nuclear. This next season could be loving insane.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Looks like we learnt some lessons from last summer.

Two great midfielders coming in already. Add a keeper and another wide player and that's probably the best squad we've had since the eighties.
Unless Gomez is taking big strides I think we need a CB. Matip and Klavan are both 4th choice at best and I shudder to think what would happen with a VVD injury.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

cheese posted:

Say what you will about Klopp, but he has taken the Scouse boom-bust cycle to overdrive. The booms are boomier and after Saturday, the busts are thermo-loving-nuclear. This next season could be loving insane.

Unless Gomez is taking big strides I think we need a CB. Matip and Klavan are both 4th choice at best and I shudder to think what would happen with a VVD injury.

Matipe didn't have the best season but I still think he's quality. Klavan less so.

If we can wrap Fekir up before the world cup I'll be loving delighted. We really need to hit the ground running next season and having all the signings available for pre season would be a huge boost

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Fabinho and Keita not going to the world cup certainly helps

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Meanwhile, Emery and Mislintat are firing up FM 2018, desperately filtering for players available on a free

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wengy posted:

Meanwhile, Emery and Mislintat are firing up FM 2018, desperately filtering for players available on a free

I would hope that the ‘limited transfer budget’ line is a half truth, in the event an excellent goalkeeper is open to moving to the Emirates they will push the boat out for him. They’re going to re-sign Fabianski aren’t they.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I’ve been watching Fabinho compilations all day, fapping relentlessly.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I would hope that the ‘limited transfer budget’ line is a half truth, in the event an excellent goalkeeper is open to moving to the Emirates they will push the boat out for him. They’re going to re-sign Fabianski aren’t they.

Wouldn't be the worst open. He's a good keeper.

Not as good as Szczesny admittedly. Always thought we were loving imbeciles to let him go, not matter what sort of falling out happened behind the scenes with him and Arsene.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I’m sure Fabianski is better than Leno who seems to be the other target.

Insanely jealous of Liverpool's splurging, truly shows that the Arse are a now a mid-tier club at best.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Its weird that 55m doesnt seem like that much anymore.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

It wouldn’t even buy the truly good GK arsenal so desperately need

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Well we're about to spaff 80m on a keeper probably.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

cheese posted:

Liverpool just bought a future Balon D'Or winner. The boom will never end now.

https://twitter.com/Mobyhaque1/status/1001176907562475521?s=20

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzkWybytaWA

We'd still have big Dejan.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Suppose the question is whether Matip is truly the player we saw this year, or the much better player we saw last year.

I'm fine with Gomez and Klavan sharing the 4th CB job.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Wengy posted:

I really want an explanation for why Arsenal supposedly have so little money. Liverpool will naturally have a post CL-run splurge, but Arsenal are by all accounts the richer club, and it’s bizarre that they’re broke for no apparent reason.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

blue footed boobie posted:

I really want an explanation for why Arsenal supposedly have so little money. Liverpool will naturally have a post CL-run splurge, but Arsenal are by all accounts the richer club, and it’s bizarre that they’re broke for no apparent reason.

its funny after multiple seasons of them talking about having a £200m war chest right around season ticket renewal time

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Stan Kronke doesnt like spending money.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CyberPingu posted:

Stan Kronke doesnt like spending money.

But there shouldn’t be an issue! There should just be money there to spend!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

But there shouldn’t be an issue! There should just be money there to spend!

He hoards it....

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Why was Fabinho so cheap? Must be a red flag somewhere. Or has he got one year left on his deal

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Arsenal are apparently in for Turkey and Freiburg centre back Caglar Soyuncu, at least according to the player himself in an interview, supposedly around a £35m fee

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
That was rumoured a couple of weeks back so could be true.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

WMain00 posted:

Wouldn't be the worst open. He's a good keeper.

Not as good as Szczesny admittedly. Always thought we were loving imbeciles to let him go, not matter what sort of falling out happened behind the scenes with him and Arsene.

Fabianski is at least as good as Chesney. He's improved so much since leaving Arsenal, he's just been unfortunate to do it at a bad and unglamorous team.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

sassassin posted:

Fabianski is at least as good as Chesney. He's improved so much since leaving Arsenal, he's just been unfortunate to do it at a bad and unglamorous team.

I think he has improved so much exactly because he has been out of the spotlight. His issues at Arsenal were largely psychological. Which can be said about a lot of Arsenal keepers, come to think of it. Except Almunia, he just wasn’t very good.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheBigAristotle posted:

Why was Fabinho so cheap? Must be a red flag somewhere. Or has he got one year left on his deal

friend he cost arsenal's entire transfer budget i wouldnt call that cheap lol

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Arsenal are by all accounts the richer club

Are they, though? Heading for a second season without CL money isn't going to help their bank balance.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Mickolution posted:

Are they, though? Heading for a second season without CL money isn't going to help their bank balance.

wengers finally gone so they can increase ticket prices

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

friend he cost arsenal's entire transfer budget i wouldnt call that cheap lol

Well cheap is a comparative statement, tbf and lol at Arsenal's "war chest"

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TheBigAristotle posted:

Well cheap is a comparative statement, tbf and lol at Arsenal's "war chest"

I think you'll find the correct term is "war purse"

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Mickolution posted:

Arsenal are consistently estimated to have more money than Liverpool by Deloitte(creators of the Money League(tm) the most prestigious competition in world football) but you’re right and I wouldn’t be surprised if Liverpool overtook them this year.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Arsenal are consistently estimated to have more money than Liverpool by Deloitte(creators of the Money League(tm) the most prestigious competition in world football) but you’re right and I wouldn’t be surprised if Liverpool overtook them this year.

The 2018 list (which I checked before posting) only has a £60m difference so I would imagine another year of CL money would make a difference.

Having said that, there's a lot of doom and gloom around Arsenal these days, but they're not in all that different a situation to where Liverpool were a few seasons back. They have money, a few very good players and a few players that can definitely improve if coached right. They'll need a couple of good/lucky signings, but it wouldn't be a shock to see them back in the top 4 sooner rather than later.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Arsenal are at least replacing their coach with a semi decent coach and not the Hodgson/Dalgleish combo that we went through.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Arsenal are going to win the league next year

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Breath Ray posted:

Arsenal are going to win the Championship the year after next

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Please don't put your retarded words, or anything else, in my mouth.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ronald is the only real madrid player not featured in their new kit release so he's off clearly

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bea Nanner posted:

I think he has improved so much exactly because he has been out of the spotlight. His issues at Arsenal were largely psychological. Which can be said about a lot of Arsenal keepers, come to think of it. Except Almunia, he just wasn’t very good.

That's definitely part of it (the lack of injuries is another, he's barely missed a game since coming here). At Arsenal every game he got was make or break and when he started to get into form the lack of red meat would do him in. Not a good situation for any goalkeeper.

He had one iffy season after we brought in his old Arsenal goalkeeping coach Tony Roberts (Fabs was back to flapping at crosses instead of catching everything like he did the year before) but he got that out of his system pretty quick. We would have gone down in the Guidolin/Bradley/Clement season without a world class Pole in our goal, but he won't get the respect he deserves for that.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jose posted:

ronald is the only real madrid player not featured in their new kit release so he's off clearly

He's going to man u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Breath Ray posted:

He's going to man u

i think he wants to link up again with his fav ex-manager, rafa benitez, at newcastle!!

• Locked thread