Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Firefly was cancelled because it sucked. It has the stink of Joss "Can't write anything but Buffy over and over" Whedon all over it. The characters are cliched, and its full of weird rapey stuff that thankfully we never got to see played out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Cabin in the Woods was very good, but I mostly agree with that.

The worst thing about Whedon is when other writers try do do dialogue like he does. The guy himself barely has a low enough success rate with it, but here comes Bioware to write some witty elven one liners.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Sweevo posted:

Firefly was cancelled because it sucked. It has the stink of Joss "Can't write anything but Buffy over and over" Whedon all over it. The characters are cliched, and its full of weird rapey stuff that thankfully we never got to see played out.

one liner one liner one liner gratuitous jailbait Strong Female Character display one liner one liner

Joss "The movie was bad because they didn't interpret my script properly" Whedon

Joss "feminism is cheating on your wife for decades" Whedon

Joss "my writing is insufferable poo poo period but for some reason I keep getting work" Whedon

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Or Firefly existed in the era before peak TV and streaming and compared to stuff at the time (which coincided with the advent of reality TV) it was pretty good.

By today’s standards, not so much.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Sweevo posted:

also the chinese stuff is awkward and doesn't work out

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

ryonguy posted:

one liner one liner one liner gratuitous jailbait Strong Female Character display one liner one liner

Joss "The movie was bad because they didn't interpret my script properly" Whedon

Joss "feminism is cheating on your wife for decades" Whedon

Joss "my writing is insufferable poo poo period but for some reason I keep getting work" Whedon

Joss "do you know what happens to a toad when it gets hit by lightning?" Whedon

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sweevo posted:

its full of weird rapey stuff that thankfully we never got to see played out.

This scene has always seemed super out of place in Firefly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NXwrY_J5vU&t=1190s

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It was an interesting idea but I think it would have worked better with some Chinese people in the main cast.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Is Buffy still fine?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
She's so fine, she's Buffy.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Volcott posted:

Is Buffy still fine?

The widescreen cuts are borked to gently caress, technically speaking. Some scenes are zoomed way in close, some have visible boom mics and poo poo, and there's some weird colour correction on some episodes. Content is still mostly fun.

Angel on the other hand is still perfect, as it always was.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Araenna posted:

It was an interesting idea but I think it would have worked better with some Chinese people in the main cast.

Or the cast, period. I admit I didn't watch all the episodes, two being enough to let me know it was irredeemable poo poo, but I'm told by people who did that there isn't a single Asian actor with a speaking line in any episode of Firefly or the movie. Summer Glau and her brother were meant to be part Chinese, but the parts got whitewashed.

The one good decision Fox made regarding Firefly was to cancel it. And they were too late with that.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I get what they're going for but most of the time they're just butchering the pronunciation of small phrases that people learn in basic Chinese class. It's like how a lot of shows before the 90s had the Hispanic characters speak English but occasionally threw in random Spanish that everyone in a first year Spanish class would learn, amigo.

Maybe it would have been less awkward if one character spoke something like Singlish or just spoke flawless Chinese except for when they randomly toss in a poorly pronounced English phrase.

Or, you know, had Chinese actors involved.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I thought Firefly was fine for the most part, but it also gave me what I think is the worst hour of television I've ever watched in my life. It gets way overblown, and about a third of the episodes are almost actively bad, but I still kind of like it.

It also made me briefly think that Adam Baldwin was okay, which is bad.

Jedit posted:

Or the cast, period. I admit I didn't watch all the episodes, two being enough to let me know it was irredeemable poo poo, but I'm told by people who did that there isn't a single Asian actor with a speaking line in any episode of Firefly or the movie. Summer Glau and her brother were meant to be part Chinese, but the parts got whitewashed.

Yeah, they use a lot of Chinese intermingled with the English, but every planet is just stocked with white people and occasionally a black person or two. It's a bit weird.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

Or Firefly existed in the era before peak TV and streaming and compared to stuff at the time (which coincided with the advent of reality TV) it was pretty good.

By today’s standards, not so much.

So it's not actually good.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Adam Baldwin had me fooled for a while between Firefly, Mass Effect, and Chuck.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I had watched Firefly over ten years ago and after seeing Cowboy Bebop, and Firefly always felt rough and uneven. I liked where I thought they were trying to go with it, but it never really came together. I still enjoyed the show, but I liked the movie much more.

I recently rewatched a couple of episodes and found them boring.

Also, I recently saw several Buffy episodes and the entirety of Angel. While Angel is much better than Buffy, I still found it mostly uninteresting.

I kind of want to rewatch Cabin in the Woods, which I liked in the theater, but I'm hesitant now with my poor reception to all his other stuff.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

fruit on the bottom posted:

Adam Baldwin had me fooled for a while between Firefly, Mass Effect, and Chuck.

I always knew the character was partially based on Baldwin's real persona (Reagan-loving, for example), but I never would've guessed he was that nuts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I guess the new Roseanne show hasn't aged worth a poo poo

ABC cancels 'Roseanne' after star's racist Twitter rant

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/29/media/roseanne-twitter-chelsea-clinton/index.html

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ryonguy posted:

That's what I don't understand. People are happy to admit his shows are flawed, but they go on and on about how he writes great characters and such snappy dialogue.

Except he doesn't. Every single character in every Joss Whedon show speaks entirely in quips, most of which sound like they're supposed to be followed by "...and then everyone stood up and clapped!"

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
thats ok, the new season wasnt very good

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sweevo posted:

That's what I don't understand. People are happy to admit his shows are flawed, but they go on and on about how he writes great characters and such snappy dialogue.

Except he doesn't. Every single character in every Joss Whedon show speaks entirely in quips, most of which sound like they're supposed to be followed by "...and then everyone stood up and clapped!"

Because it was new then. Now everybody and their mother does it, and better, so it doesn't seem so fresh.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Davros1 posted:

Because it was new then. Now everybody and their mother does it, and better, so it doesn't seem so fresh.

I'll agree with this. One of the featurettes had Whedon talk about how he didn't want a sci-fi show that had a pristine military ship that "transported ambassadors across space," or something like that, and wanted more of an "everyman in space" that didn't take itself too seriously.

What we got is debatable, but it did stand out in that sense.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

ryonguy posted:

The 1992 Buffy is a perfect, flawless dark satire when viewed on its own merits. It was clearly written that way. Whedon and a large chunk of the fan base need to get over that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mojo1701a posted:

I'll agree with this. One of the featurettes had Whedon talk about how he didn't want a sci-fi show that had a pristine military ship that "transported ambassadors across space," or something like that, and wanted more of an "everyman in space" that didn't take itself too seriously.

I don't know. Didn't Farscape do that? :shrug:

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

And Space:Above and beyond?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mojo1701a posted:

We have the Orville for that now, which is very good

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Wheat Loaf posted:

Farscape is absolutely nuts and I love it. But it also had aliens, which Firefly did not.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

englerp posted:

And Space:Above and beyond?
And Blake's 7.
And Andromeda.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Firefly was obviously Joss Whedon watching Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop and copying them.

Angel is mostly perfect except for everything involving Connor(so pretty much the fourth season).

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
TIL that goons hate Firefly. I dunno maybe I had the advantage of never having watched any Joss Whedon before, but I thought it was fantastic. In fact, I should watch it again; probably been close to 10 years.

I'll report back if it hasn't aged well.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

A lot of us probably liked it 15 years ago. But think of all the dumb poo poo you liked 15 years ago.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I still maintain that every TV show more than five years old that you remember fondly is a dozen great scenes threaded between hours of garbage. I'm sure Firefly is the same.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Except Deadwood which is still great.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Gaunab posted:

Firefly was obviously Joss Whedon watching Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop and copying them.

This is basically why I liked what I liked of it. I love Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star, all my friends love Firefly, and Wikipedia lists all 3 under "space western", so I gave it a shot. I like most of it, but I absolutely get why people wouldn't like it if they were looking for, like, serious science fiction. I also understand why the original broadcast order had the first episode moved back because boy howdy was that a boring thing to watch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Not Operator posted:

I still maintain that every TV show more than five years old that you remember fondly is a dozen great scenes threaded between hours of garbage. I'm sure Firefly is the same.

Terriers. Fight me.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Terriers. Fight me.

They're my very favorite breed.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Iron Crowned posted:

We have the Orville for that now, which is very good

I’m guessing that show must have had some drastic improvement by the end of the season because otherwise yikes

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

I’m guessing that show must have had some drastic improvement by the end of the season because otherwise yikes

Yeah, I gave it a try after all the glowing reviews and bounced off hard after a handful of episodes. Pretty much none of the jokes landed for me, but the constant attempts to be funny sure managed to undermine any attempts at drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Not Operator posted:

Except Deadwood which is still great.

And The Wire, too, you Hooplehead.