Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Golbez posted:

I can't believe I didn't consider the in-game timer. Wow. So it's not just two weeks - it's two weeks POWERED ON. So someone playing it for real could potentially be playing this for months in between. Jeez.

No, it's just one item in the game requires the two weeks of in-game time to age from one item into another. The only real reason you would do this is if you're 100%ing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's a completely worthless item, too.

('Shampoo' is the item that then eventually turns into the other item over the course of two weeks, so that category's essentially "fastest time to the start of the two week timer")

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Wouldn't it be more reasonable to have a 99% category that leaves out the stupid two-week item? Or is there stuff locked behind it?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to have a 99% category that leaves out the stupid two-week item? Or is there stuff locked behind it?

https://pastebin.com/BRvPJ430

quote:

- How long would it be without the 2 weeks required for the Splendid Hair?
It would still be between 80 and 100 hours long because of the "Wonder MOMO" item. And even without it, there are a few items, that you can only get "endgame", that take 48 hours to evolve. And even without them, there are 2 items that take 40 hours to evolve. Etc. This is why I am not considering doing an arbitrary category where I would remove arbitrary items, because I wouldn't be able to agree with myself on what to remove. So I prefer to stick with 100%.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
baiten kaitos sounds like a bad game for nerds

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I assume it's much faster if you aren't trying for 100% item completion.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Suspicious Dish posted:

baiten kaitos sounds like a bad game for nerds

it's a fun game with interesting ideas like healing items going bad if you hold onto them for too long (like milk going sour) and a couple of neat story twists involving player perspective in the narrative

just don't do a 100% speedrun and you'll have a good time

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
in other news, we finally found a way past the stupid bitfs pole.... on vc only. the answer is as meme-y as you think it is.

so yeah, 0xA any% TAS run soon

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

SatansBestBuddy posted:

it's a fun game with interesting ideas like healing items going bad if you hold onto them for too long (like milk going sour) and a couple of neat story twists involving player perspective in the narrative

just don't do a 100% speedrun and you'll have a good time

Brave Fencer Musashi did that as well. Items like milk would sour and heal less, but if kept it would turn into i think cheese or yogurt and heal decently again. I never figured out how to get all those figures in that game.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Baten Kaitos is really good but the key to enjoying it is completely ignoring the card combo mechanic.

It's also really loving long so on a normal playthrough I wouldn't be surprised if you saw some of those 48 hour cards do their thing. Playing casually, that game took me several months to beat and I swore off ever doing it again because it was such a commitment.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Dizz posted:

I never figured out how to get all those figures in that game.

Certain figures only show up in New Game+ but it's completely random if they do or not. If they don't you have to do another loop of the game, and even then they're not guaranteed to show up. So it could take two playthroughs to get all the figures or it could take some ridiculous number.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Suspicious Dish posted:

in other news, we finally found a way past the stupid bitfs pole.... on vc only. the answer is as meme-y as you think it is.

so yeah, 0xA any% TAS run soon

I would like to know more

edit: about the skip. I know about the A button challenge

big deal fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 28, 2018

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Suspicious Dish posted:

Please link.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
This reddit thing links to a TAS/ABC discord, wherein there are several related youtube clips being posted. I only just found this so I may not have things quite right, but it seems that the triangular platforms that rise and fall can be manipulated to rise very slowly due to a rounding error that works on Wii VC but not WiiU VC. This may take days (the initial strategy might take 8 days but someone mentioned cutting it down to 3).

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
The classic era Tomb Raiders are neat to watch being speedrun. I hope they do a big slot of TR games at ESA or something.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
We don't have a video yet, but on VC those platforms that bob up and down slowly go up due to an issue with rounding. So wait 8 hours...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

The classic era Tomb Raiders are neat to watch being speedrun. I hope they do a big slot of TR games at ESA or something.
I'm assuming this is the ESA schedule, and while it has some TR games, the only PS1-era one is TR3 (which is sandwiched between Guardian of Light and the awful Angel of Darkness). That said, I agree. I've had Footi's stream on my other monitor while doing stuff recently, and those PS1-era games are fun runs with a lot of entertaining bugs.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

The Kins posted:

I'm assuming this is the ESA schedule, and while it has some TR games, the only PS1-era one is TR3 (which is sandwiched between Guardian of Light and the awful Angel of Darkness). That said, I agree. I've had Footi's stream on my other monitor while doing stuff recently, and those PS1-era games are fun runs with a lot of entertaining bugs.

That's good to hear, cause I've tried watching... Anniversary? Or Underworld, and it was kinda like a Gothic speedrun - gain height with a jump exploit and skip over everything, not very interesting.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kikas posted:

That's good to hear, cause I've tried watching... Anniversary? Or Underworld, and it was kinda like a Gothic speedrun - gain height with a jump exploit and skip over everything, not very interesting.
Oh, there's an Anniversary one as well, but it's on a different day. :v:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

b_d posted:

I would like to know more

edit: about the skip. I know about the A button challenge

An explanation video is out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFxJuq3FRgI

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

if it's not Pannenkoek then I'm not watching it!

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Certain figures only show up in New Game+ but it's completely random if they do or not. If they don't you have to do another loop of the game, and even then they're not guaranteed to show up. So it could take two playthroughs to get all the figures or it could take some ridiculous number.

Glad I didn't really give a poo poo about it then. I remember reading some guide saying that a lot of them only appeared during some parts of the game and then would be unobtainable if you progressed but never got through much of a New Game +

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

There's a classic in SGDQ

Also a modern :shobon:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
what about some guy explaining things in his kitchen with a cd-rom and a bowl of water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcRUwAGRK44

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

For some reason, using an emulator bug to solve the any percent a-button challenge seems unsatisfying, even if the emulator in question is an official Nintendo N64 emulator running on the Wii.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Golbez posted:

re Baiten Kaitos: Why hasn't the community just said, you know how some games let you drop to main menu? Some games let you reset, or use death to go faster? Some let you change the resolution, or FPS limit? Why not say, "We allow you to restart the console and change the clock to two weeks in the future"?

Some Metal Gear Solid 3 speedruns do this in order to skip The End. (The boss named "The End", not the end of the game.)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

sincx posted:

For some reason, using an emulator bug to solve the any percent a-button challenge seems unsatisfying, even if the emulator in question is an official Nintendo N64 emulator running on the Wii.

a lot of people agree. work is ongoing to try to save that A press on console as well, including some semi-plausible methods to set that rounding mode on N64 as well.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

sincx posted:

Boo this speedrun purist.

Boo them!!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

so how many people do that two week long "speed"run because that sounds like something a guy did to have a record he knew nobody else was stupid enough to attempt.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

so how many people do that two week long "speed"run because that sounds like something a guy did to have a record he knew nobody else was stupid enough to attempt.

I count two

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
How about a category without item evolutions included at all? No waiting = good.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Suspicious Dish posted:

what about some guy explaining things in his kitchen with a cd-rom and a bowl of water

It's even better when you realize that isn't a CD-ROM but a HDD platter out of its casing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

McFrugal posted:

How about a category without item evolutions included at all? No waiting = good.

There's already an any% and it's 13 hours. And the run for just completing Disc 1 of the 2 discs is 5 and a half hours.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

fishmech posted:

There's already an any% and it's 13 hours. And the run for just completing Disc 1 of the 2 discs is 5 and a half hours.

Oh, New Game is any%?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

McFrugal posted:

Oh, New Game is any%?

Yep, the rules are just:

- Timing starts when you select "New Game"
- Timing ends when the screen fades out after the fight against resurrected Geldoblame
- Any glitch you can achieve without external cheat codes is allowed
- Any NGC version can be used
- Runs are RTA, saving and loading in the run itself is allowed

That fight is basically the regular end of the game iirc, it triggers a credits roll after some standard JRPG "you've won but first here's some text and conversations to scroll through without meaningful choices" stuff.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

clearly you've never seen oblivion 100%

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcRUwAGRK44

I would enjoy more and more videos coming out explaining this, with further ridiculous analogies, ending with something that uses live animals.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Dizz posted:

clearly you've never seen oblivion 100%

I'm sad those folks, or anyone else, haven't tackled another horribly long 100% run. I enjoyed the Oblivion run, checking in from time to time and watching them panic over a missing Nirnroot.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Golbez posted:

I'm sad those folks, or anyone else, haven't tackled another horribly long 100% run. I enjoyed the Oblivion run, checking in from time to time and watching them panic over a missing Nirnroot.

I think it would have been faster to include the DLC, because then you don’t have to worry about the Nirnroot. (One of the ones in a DLC house respawns, so there is no longer a max, meaning the Nirnroute only needs enough for the potions.)

Overall, that was a fun marathon run with lots of ups and downs. Seeing them get hit by the bug with the Thieves’ Guild ring and Sanguine’s quest was heartbreaking. Then you have the slow realization that there was an option to turn off grass in the menu, which would have made a ton of things easier to find. The best moment had to be counting the map markers, and the eventual, frustrated conclusion they came to.

Also, did anyone ever solve the puzzle with the Ceiling Gifts? They admitted they made it way too hard, but they never gave out the solution.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Golbez posted:

They should do Animal Crossing 100% but like, no codes, just Tom Nook scumming (*do not do this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They should do Animal Crossing 100% but like, no codes, just Tom Nook scumming (*do not do this)

I.e. spend several hours duping items in your house and do nothing else.