Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? When did this happen?? I had no idea this was a thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqMI3psQm00

For the new page:

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Inuyashiki live action movie is opening here in New Zealand this week, for some reason.
Is that any sort of good thing?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nipponophile posted:

Has there ever been a genuinely good one? Honest question. I certainly can't think of any offhand.

Space Battleship Yamato is really good, even if you can tell the writer and Director had Battlestar Galactica playing in every design meeting. They do use what they gleaned from BSG legitimately well, it's just very obvious they drew from it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Nipponophile posted:

Has there ever been a genuinely good one? Honest question. I certainly can't think of any offhand.

The live action Space Brothers movie is pretty good, even though it skips a lot of things that were in the original manga / anime, but that's to be expected since you're condensing 10+ hours worth of story into a two-hour movie.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Gonna answer my own question. The JoJo movie was good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Attack on Titan(s) was fun. It's not, you know, Attack on Titan (which obviously confuses people)* but it's worth a look. Even with a dumb love triangle.

*And maybe that's a bennie for the reader, idk.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
How's Jin-Roh as a series?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Does the Ace Attorney movie count because thay movie is amazing.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Roth posted:

Does the Ace Attorney movie count because thay movie is amazing.

I wouldn't count it as an anime/manga adaptation. However, as a video game adaptation, it is ahead of its competition by several orders of magnitude.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Humble Bundle has an insanely good Manga bundle available right now. Like it's nuts how good it is.

Drop 18 bucks on it, no question. The entire Battle Angel Alita series volumes 1-9 for 18 dollars would be worth it alone, but you also get Inuyashiki, Ajin, Seven Deadly Sins, BAA: Last Order, BAA: Mars Chronicles, Ghost in the Shell, and GITS: Stand Alone Complex.

Seriously, this is absolutely one of their must-buy bundles. BAA's hardcopies fluctuate in and out of print and can be extremely expensive to acquire at times, and it's an influential sci-fi series. I have recommended Battle Angel Alita in all its forms in this thread previously, and it is definitely one of my favorite series of all time. Last Order cranks up the silliness and absurdity a bit, but also has some extremely loving rad interpretations of transhumanism, and a drat good flashback to the end of mankind, when asteroids that humanity hadn't caught rain down and create a global extinction event endless winter, and only fragments of life continue on.

Here's my recommendation for it:

Captain Invictus posted:

Battle Angel Alita, Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, and Battle Angel Alita: Mars Chronicles - A series that has been running for nearly three decades, with some of my favorite and most creative artwork of any series. The author, Yukito Kishiro, is incredibly good at designing unique cyberpunk designs with insane levels of detail, and the fights are intense and extremely well-choreographed. The characters of Alita, Dr. Ido, and the pretty incredible and infamous Desty Nova, go through some serious poo poo throughout the series. Set centuries past our current time in one of the more dystopian cyberpunk settings around, it goes from earth, to space, eventually to mars over the course of its story, and explores various aspects of humanity's evolution as it does so. This is the series that James Cameron wants to make into a movie after he's done with the second Avatar movie, and apparently his Dark Angel series was something he wanted to make an official Battle Angel show, though I never watched it. The series is gruesome, it's violent as hell and shifts from lighthearted to apocalyptic in the blink of an eye. The story can go from grounded in reality to totally absurd pretty fast, including hypersonic thumb-wrestling, more obscene nanomachine use than Kojima ever dreamed of, among other things. From hard sci-fi to power rangers-esque ridiculousness moment to moment. Have some sample pages:

Ghost in the Shell is an extremely influential piece of cyberpunk media that also has a shitload of cyborg rear end'n'titties. It's been well over a decade since I've read the manga of it so I'll leave it to someone else who's more recently gotten into it to do a writeup for it if they're so inclined, but it absolutely influenced a lot of sci-fi writers, directors such as James Cameron and Steven Spielberg, and was a huge inspiration, and indeed was the initial pitch for, The Matrix. The artwork is outstanding, the cybernetic stylings groundbreaking, and the sexuality flagrant.

I have not read Inuyashiki, Ajin, or Seven Deadly Sins, but I have definitely heard good things about Inuyashiki and SDS(Inuyashiki was recommended by someone else in this thread iirc), and I'm pretty sure I've heard good things about Ajin as well. This is totally a perfect bundle to grab as a gift for someone, too, I'm definitely going to pick up a few extras for later. And hey, you also support the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund with your donation, too, and they do fantastic work!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Seven Deadly Sins is an interesting read - unlike a lot of shonen battle manga, I think it moves almost too fast. (Yeah, I know.) I like it, but that does feel like a flaw. If you like that sort of thing, though, I'd definitely give it a look.

Also all the agreed on Alita. I've been revisiting it with the giant hardcover collections Kodansha's been putting out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Humble Bundle has an insanely good Manga bundle available right now. Like it's nuts how good it is.

I thought it was just the original 9 volumes of Alita and a handful of volumes for each of the other series when I glanced at it in my email. I think I practically threw my wallet at the screen on this one after reading your post listing the actual contents of it :shepspends:.

Seriously, this is an obscenely good buy, and you should get it right the gently caress now .

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So is there a Download All button for those comics, because that's an obscene amount of stuff for me to download. :psyduck:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
:siren:Silver Spoon is off hiatus:siren:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So is there a Download All button for those comics, because that's an obscene amount of stuff for me to download. :psyduck:
Unless they changed things I think it lets you download them volume by volume, and I think these are sorted into omnibuses, which are 3 volumes each? So it might be 30-40 downloads, which is a little tedious but not too bad really.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nipponophile posted:

The Japanese live action Death Note movies aren't bad and also has a much better conclusion than the manga/anime. It ends with a Light/L confrontation and skips the second half of the series.

As an aside, Ajin suffers from a problem where the bad guy is so much more interesting than the hero. Mainly because he's really good at exploiting all the things they can do with the regeneration powers which leads to fun action scenes. While the "main" character is kind of a poo poo.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

The Japanese live action Death Note movies aren't bad and also has a much better conclusion than the manga/anime. It ends with a Light/L confrontation and skips the second half of the series.

As an aside, Ajin suffers from a problem where the bad guy is so much more interesting than the hero. Mainly because he's really good at exploiting all the things they can do with the regeneration powers which leads to fun action scenes. While the "main" character is kind of a poo poo.

Good av/post combo here.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
The live-action Kenshin movies are legit really enjoyable. I feel awkward watching them though, since the news about the creator broke.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's 5 hours left on that humble bundle, if you've not gotten it yet, absolutely do so. Definitely worth it, good for gifting too.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just realised that the manga deal is ending in a few hours and I tried to pay for it and my card was declined twice and I called my bank and they said nothing was wrong on the bank's side and I sent a support ticket to Humble Bundle and I HOPE I GET IT AND :shepicide:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Artelier posted:

I just realised that the manga deal is ending in a few hours and I tried to pay for it and my card was declined twice and I called my bank and they said nothing was wrong on the bank's side and I sent a support ticket to Humble Bundle and I HOPE I GET IT AND :shepicide:
Were you able to pick one up?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Planet With, Satoshi Mizukami's first anime production, has its first episode available early on Crunchyroll.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/planet-with/planet-with-special-preview-774899

Based on what I've read/seen, I think with this series his aim with it is for people to not forget what they are fighting for, and that life is worth living to the end, what with how the "aliens" don't attack physically but instead remind their adversaries of what they have in life to lose if they die. Mizukami's works are always very thoughtful and tend to have a huge change somewhere in there that turns the whole series on its head, so I'm super excited for this new one.

the manga has a few more chapters out past where the anime is at, and hints at some higher level politicking than you might think from the first episode/chapters.

https://mangadex.org/manga/26499/planet-with

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Were you able to pick one up?

I was, and I only realized halfway through BAA vol1 that this is how GUNNM was localized in north America. "Wow that's some real good stuff" yeah no poo poo. :doh: Still nice because I never read that book and I really dig it. Those little details like the printed bounties, the phone booths or the aerobic leg warmers Alita Gally is wearing really anchor the series as an end-80s/beginning90s dystopia. Plus the scan quality is amazing. A good recommendation and a cyberpunk classic.

Also I caught up on the Attack on Titan manga during my holidays and thus must amend my previous statements in this thread: AoT characters* are not cardboard cutouts**.

* Except for you Mikasa, I hope one day you get to say something that is not a variation of "Eren !"
** Does not apply to the anime. (yet)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here's an isekai series very similar to Bakarina(the one that didn't have a "canon" english name so I went with Bad End Heroine, but "Bakarina" seems to be the one people are settling on), Accomplishments of the Duke's Daughter. I don't remember if it was recommended in here or another thread, but it's pretty unique from most isekai I've seen, where it takes the similar to Bakarina pretext of Trucked -> reincarnate into the body of an otome(girl dating game) villainess trying to avoid her designated Bad End, but this one dives headfirst almost immediately into economics, societal analysis, and nobility court politicking. It does have the typical "bringing enlightenment to the uneducated masses" with chocolate, banking systems, hair conditioner, etc that Iris brings from her our-world knowledge, but outside of that, it fairly frequently goes so long between mentions of our world I forgot a few times it was an isekai.

And then her mom casually mentions Yoga and I'm like "oh, right, it's one of those" :v:

Very good, fun, and apparently a weekly release series? Which is great, since it'd be painful to wait for it if it was monthly or worse. Very low-drama outside of noble politicking, at least so far. Though that may be changing soon enough.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Captain Invictus posted:

Here's an isekai series very similar to Bakarina(the one that didn't have a "canon" english name so I went with Bad End Heroine, but "Bakarina" seems to be the one people are settling on), Accomplishments of the Duke's Daughter. I don't remember if it was recommended in here or another thread, but it's pretty unique from most isekai I've seen, where it takes the similar to Bakarina pretext of Trucked -> reincarnate into the body of an otome(girl dating game) villainess trying to avoid her designated Bad End, but this one dives headfirst almost immediately into economics, societal analysis, and nobility court politicking. It does have the typical "bringing enlightenment to the uneducated masses" with chocolate, banking systems, hair conditioner, etc that Iris brings from her our-world knowledge, but outside of that, it fairly frequently goes so long between mentions of our world I forgot a few times it was an isekai.

And then her mom casually mentions Yoga and I'm like "oh, right, it's one of those" :v:

Very good, fun, and apparently a weekly release series? Which is great, since it'd be painful to wait for it if it was monthly or worse. Very low-drama outside of noble politicking, at least so far. Though that may be changing soon enough.

i am really loving this stuff it owns

this one, bad end heroine, and the one with the little librarian

it's way better when they go to some fantasy world and just own everything with massive swords

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I assume you mean it's way better THAN those massive sword ones. :v:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i did mean that

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Captain Invictus posted:

Accomplishments of the Duke's Daughter ... dives headfirst almost immediately into economics, societal analysis, and nobility court politicking.
Feels solid enough, there's some character development and the protagonist doesn't breeze through everything,

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I have no other place to ask: Toradora! is one of the good ones, right? Not many of these get published here and they're going to begin running it this month so I'm considering collecting.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Samuringa posted:

I have no other place to ask: Toradora! is one of the good ones, right? Not many of these get published here and they're going to begin running it this month so I'm considering collecting.

Toradora was originally a light novel series, the anime and manga adaptations came later. That being said, if the manga follows the same storyline, it should be an above average romcom romp. The anime adaptation was competent, if you want to check that out.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Oh, my bad, it is the light novel that is published, I misread. Forget it, but thanks.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

Oldboy?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just caught up on the manga for The Devil Is A Part-Timer, which is an honestly genuinely hilarious action comedy that has had a successful 13-episode anime adaptation of the first light novel(or two?) out of 18 LN's, and the manga has been chugging along at a fairly decent pace, at 12 or 13 volumes with 11 localized in english, and cover the first half a dozen or so light novels so far.

It is a "reverse" isekai, in that the usual isekai trope of "I was transported to a fantasy world!" is switched around to where the Demon Lord Satan of a fantasy world called Enta Isle is about to be struck down by The Hero, and opens a teleportation gate to escape to a distant land. But the gateway is unstable, and he and Alciel, his second in command, are dropped into modern day Tokyo, powerless. Satan has no choice but to start working a normal job to survive, and begins working part-time at McDonalds(called MgRonalds) to make ends meet. The Hero, in hot pursuit, falls prey to the same gateway destabilization and is also stranded and becomes a call center worker. Shenanigans ensue.

The manga is localized extremely well and the comedy is very well timed, but the series also has plenty of action to it too. I don't want to spoil too much of it, but the storyline covered in the manga so far has been actually genuinely intriguing, which you might not think with the premise being pretty silly. Also, the best character in the entire series doesn't show up in the anime(this lil' gremlin right here), and there's a few other really great recurring characters post-anime, such as Gabriel, yes THAT Gabriel, who sports an I <3 Japan t-shirt over his completely ripped body, a toga, sandals, and a Ned Flanders-esque personality even when in combat. It's a shame the anime only had one cour, but considering the length of the storyline IMMEDIATELY following the end of where the anime stops, I can understand why. I'm pretty sure the manga is still in the middle of that same one, even though it's had a few diversions.

Amazon link for the first english volume, find the rest in related products

The anime is worth a watch and has a decent dub, though it does have more fanservice shoved in than the manga, which has surprisingly little. You can watch it on Funimation's site. The manga picks up after the anime ends starting at chapter 27, definitely worth jumping right in if you liked the 2013 anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKRZqBhl5IM&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 31, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This isn't new and I'm sure it's been brought up more than once but I just finished Billy Bat and I loving loved it. It's by Urasawa, so you know it's good; I'd actually read the first few issues as they came out, but eventually decided it was better to wait for it to end, and I only thought about it again last week.

For those who don't know, it's hard to describe the genre of this manga, but it's somewhere along the lines of an epic mystery+thriller spanning like a dozen time periods. It (initially) follows a Japanese-American comic book artist who invented a popular character, Billy Bat (who's obviously meant to be a stand-in for Mickey Mouse), but comes to realize that he may have subconsciously stolen the character from an artist in Japan, and when he flies there to find out for himself, he's drawn into a much bigger web of conspiracy than he could have imagined, as we learn that the Billy Bat character has been around for as long as humans have been able to draw.

Yes, it ends with a few big unanswered questions mainly, what Billy Bat even is, but that's really not the point. The point is following the wonderful (and loving huge) cast of characters as they travel the world across generations to find out the truth. It's also quite timely, I think, as all of its bad guys are also the bad guys of 2018 (Nazis, capitalism, racism, war, America), and the role that creative media plays in the world (and also how gosh darn great comics are). If you have a single creative bone in your body, you'll also probably end up being inspired to go make some art of your own by the end of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Billy Bat is definitely on my list to read. I had issues with both 20th Century Boys(didn't know when to stop) and Monster(very good, but also tended to drag a bit) as well as Pluto(liked a lot of it, didn't really care for the Astro Boy parts because I never cared about Astro Boy). But everything I've seen of Billy Bat has looked quite interesting.

I posted a very cute, informative short series called The Bride Was A Boy in this thread previously, about the author's tales with being transgender and having sexual reassignment surgery. It's done in a super deformed manner and is generally very cutesy, but straightforward and educational. Here is another short series called I Was Born The Wrong Sex!, which is done in a more traditional high-quality manga style, is genuinely hilarious, and also FAR FAR MORE DETAILED in the process of having sexual reassignment surgery done. It is not yet complete but scans have been picked back up recently and at only a single volume should be finished within the next few chapters.

I lost it at "worried elephant noises"

But yeah, it's very interesting and very entertaining at the same time. Another good recommend to people who don't really understand the process, I know, personally, I've known multiple people who literally just think with M->F surgery they just chop your dick off and stitch a hole open down there and call it a day when it's far more complicated than that. This goes into that aspect of it, step-by-step.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

What a cliff hanger :ohdear:

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Maybe I should give Billy Bat another chance. I read it while it was still being published but it started to look like another 20th Century Boys so I stopped. The beginning was gripping but then it just started to look like Urasawa painting himself into yet another corner.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Couple of things; Dungeon Meshi is still updating and still one of the best currently-running manga out there. And also, another isekai series is looking very good and just got an anime that began a couple weeks ago. It's about a fella who is reincarnated as a slime, and that's basically the title.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

A regular ol' guy is visiting with a friend when a man with a knife stabs him on the street. With his dying thoughts, he accidentally confuses the god of another world who wishes to reincarnate him and thinks he wants to be a slime. From there he meets a pretty wild and varied cast of normally generic NPCs and monsters, but are generally regular folk, and begins building the Nation Of Monsters. Then, politics start! Has some surprisingly emotional moments as well, and doesn't pull punches most of the time. It's one of the more highly-acclaimed isekai series nowadays, with lots of great characters, a pretty fun and unique premise, and light political intrigue. Worth a read/watch, in my opinion!

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
They've probably already been mentioned, but do read both Monster and Pluto.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I enjoy it, but That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is a lot like One Punch Man, in that it kinda forgets its gimmick at a point and becomes straight fantasy.

I'll bring in another recommendation: Giant Spider & Me: A Post-Apocalyptic Tale.

Very simple premise, girl living on her own in a shack in the forest meets a weird giant spider that helps her out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kokoro Wish posted:

They've probably already been mentioned, but do read both Monster and Pluto.

Speaking of those, is there a reason that Viz isn't releasing any Urasawa stuff digitally? Like they're still putting out new editions of 20th Century Boys but only physically.