Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Basic Chunnel posted:

Walton Goggins
wut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The captive you can harvest for exotic matter

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Aaron Ingram is his in game name.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
What's the area called where you space walk for the first time? Because special phantoms will keep respawning there pretty much all the time, even when you don't advance the plot.

Later on, they tend to drop more resources than you need to take them out.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Hannibal Rex posted:

What's the area called where you space walk for the first time? Because special phantoms will keep respawning there pretty much all the time, even when you don't advance the plot.

Later on, they tend to drop more resources than you need to take them out.

Hardware labs?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

aniviron posted:

The game definitely starts off hard and gets easier. If you're hurting for equipment exploring is generally a good idea; as the plot advances the station gets more dangerous as you do, but if you spend a while not advancing the plot but gearing up you'll be better equipped to face stuff.

I'm definitely enjoying the game, but I think I might have to start over. I got the shotgun late, never found the gloo gun ammo plan, and now I'm hanging around the crew lounge with no ammo and low on health. I started out playing the game more like Dead Space instead of System Shock, so I think I gimped myself. I tried to go back and the main talos area has a bunch of bad guys and a nightmare lol.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Ammo is for chumps, toss propane tanks at your enemies.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Who was it that said maxed out leverage turns the game into first person Donkey Kong? I still use that to try and explain the game to people who haven't heard of it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

And if you want more, play arkane's earlier first-person donkey kong-em-up, dark messiah of might and magic

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Digirat posted:

And if you want more, play arkane's earlier first-person donkey kong-em-up, dark messiah of might and magic
There's no kicking people off of cliffs in Donkey Kong though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

There's no kicking people off of cliffs in Donkey Kong though.

Advantage: Dark Messiah

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bust Rodd posted:

No Mods/Flesh & Steel Runs make me think there’s someone out there at Arkane who literally doesn’t understand power fantasy or was like deeply pushing a survival horror aspect that no one else wanted because those mechanics are stupid.

Like I know you need brain worms to be a grown rear end adult who plays video james but playing these games without powers sounds just abysmal, because neither of these games really have the stealth or base combat to support those playthroughs not being massive exercises in tedium.

No Powers mode was essential for Dishonored 2 because for a game that's all about choice you gotta have the choice to tell the Outsider no thanks up yours.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.

aniviron posted:

Who was it that said maxed out leverage turns the game into first person Donkey Kong? I still use that to try and explain the game to people who haven't heard of it.

I actually tried to Donkey Kong it once. It was too unreliable for me. I would actually hit something, but instead of doing damage, the missile would sort of slowly push the enemy out of the way. Happened like one third of the time for me. I would also miss while trying to pick things up, but that is just me sucking in general.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Basic Chunnel posted:

Mimics will respawn and so will standard phantoms, but not in significant numbers. This is most obvious in Psychotronics and is why I have yet to keep Walton Goggins alive

The guy just chilled out in Psychotronics as everything went to poo poo around him for me. Scared the poo poo out of me toward the end as I sprinted round a corner at super speed and he was just stood there staring ahead, calm as you like.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Walton Simons posted:

The guy just chilled out in Psychotronics as everything went to poo poo around him for me. Scared the poo poo out of me toward the end as I sprinted round a corner at super speed and he was just stood there staring ahead, calm as you like.

Yeah I just kept him locked up and then savescummed a bit to zap him before he exploded on me. Most survivors will eventually despawn and show up as "safe" on the crew roster and he does too IIRC.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

in my last nullwave device run, the place was crazy with all sorts of typhons chasing after me while I beelined for the plot thingie, and suddenly out of the corner of my eye I see him strolling around. IIRC a fire typhon did him in. why were you still here???

double nine fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 30, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

If that guy survives for more than a couple hours of gameplay time, he should secretly be a hella scary mimic.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Entropic posted:

No Powers mode was essential for Dishonored 2 because for a game that's all about choice you gotta have the choice to tell the Outsider no thanks up yours.

I strongly agree that no powers was good in dishonored 2, but in prey no needles locks you out of so many areas and interesting plot points, and makes item management such a pain that it wasn't fun at all. at least in typhon-only runs, theres compensation in the form of eventually one-shotting enemies with psychoshock, or using morph to pass obstacles.

no needles felt like the game was forcing me to rush through to the end

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Anticheese posted:

If that guy survives for more than a couple hours of gameplay time, he should secretly be a hella scary mimic.

Even if we're dead, it won't be over.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I started over and I'm having a great time. I'm taking way more time to explore as much as I can as early as I can and I'm trying to be a lot smarter with my neuromod and ammo use.

I'm pretty sure I might be able to explore most of the map without even playing the video in Morgan's office.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It makes a lot of sense to get the psychoscope first before you go off exploring.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hannibal Rex posted:

It makes a lot of sense to get the psychoscope first before you go off exploring.

I'd rather be better prepared before entering psychotronics.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It's not very far into psychotronics, and getting the scope means you'll be more prepared for everywhere else

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
On the other hand, not having disguised mimics pointed out for you really preserves the horror.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
apparently a huge free update for prey TONIGHT

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

FourLeaf posted:

apparently a huge free update for prey TONIGHT

And moon dlc!

edit: Mooncrash

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
in addition to the dlc

e: beaten

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
quote is not edit

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Randomized levels on Moon Crash, every time you die the game resets and everything changes. Sounds so loving cool.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Multiplayer with other people playing the mimics :wooper:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

New Game+ mode for the base game too, gently caress yes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’m hoping against hope that the DLC somehow includes implementation of the full suite of survival horror mechanics that weren’t finished in the main game

Wish granted!

But the DLC doesn't sound like something for me.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
[scratches "*have to make a procgen prey" off of the to-do list]

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Replaying Prey again.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Jerusalem posted:

Randomized levels on Moon Crash, every time you die the game resets and everything changes. Sounds so loving cool.

Except they appear to have changed Prey from an immersive sim to a speedrun roguelike sort of thing :psyduck:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know about this, tight level design is what Arkane excels at, half of what makes their games great (and especially Prey). Also, maybe I interpreted it wrong, but it seemed like the narrative was a tertiary focus.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

friendly 2 da void posted:

Except they appear to have changed Prey from an immersive sim to a speedrun roguelike sort of thing :psyduck:

:whitewater:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I was slamming that Buy DLC button so hard.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I'm not too hot on this DLC, I want an immersive sim, not a rogue-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The new achievements give the impression there is definitely some kind of story element in there.