Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I've heard of weddings like that where the wedding is huge and extravagant but each guest is more or less kicking in a hundred bucks as a gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Carl Killer Miller posted:

it hasn't happened yet-coming up in August. Part of their way of justifying the insane cost is that it's a traditional Indian wedding.
Well, not that surprising for Asian weddings. My people are very bad at this as well, but at least Chinese weddings are over in 1 dinner. Indian weddings bring it up to the next level of crazy.

Did they went crazy on the traditional gold jewelry as well? Or was it more toned down, since Americanised? The ultra-traditional gold jewelry by the Chinese / Indians is really ugly in my view. Honestly, no class at all.

Homeless Bebe
Jul 15, 2012
Hoooly poo poo, are you parents paying for the whole thing? :psyduck:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

a traditional Indian wedding.

I come from a very modest, blue-collar town. I remember when the Indian girl in my class was getting married (at 16 or 17, no less) and she showed me the jewelry that each of the bridesmaids were wearing. Apparently, they get to keep it as their gift for being in the wedding. I'm sure it was at least a 500k affair, and this was 20 years ago. It blew my mind then, and feels only more insane the older I get.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Based on what I've heard (wife works in construction, lotta italian/portugese coworkers talking about weddings) you pay out the nose for the wedding and generally expect to make a large portion of it back. White people dropping 250k on a wedding is BWM. Cultures with a heavy focus on familial obligation dropping 250k on a wedding is probably much less BWM, if not a good investment, because you're going to have a jillion guests and they're all going to bring hefty gifts.

One of her coworkers was complaining because two of his cousins were getting married in the same year and he was going to have to drop a very nontrivial amount of money on wedding gifts.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Do they still do the dowry thing? Never really understood how it worked.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

Based on what I've heard (wife works in construction, lotta italian/portugese coworkers talking about weddings) you pay out the nose for the wedding and generally expect to make a large portion of it back. White people dropping 250k on a wedding is BWM. Cultures with a heavy focus on familial obligation dropping 250k on a wedding is probably much less BWM, if not a good investment, because you're going to have a jillion guests and they're all going to bring hefty gifts.

One of her coworkers was complaining because two of his cousins were getting married in the same year and he was going to have to drop a very nontrivial amount of money on wedding gifts.
Depending on how much you spend and how close you are to your guests, you can recover a non-trivial amount of money from a wedding, regardless of massive familial obligations. The problem is that most people don't consider this when they spend $50k on a cake instead of $500.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

I've heard of weddings like that where the wedding is huge and extravagant but each guest is more or less kicking in a hundred bucks as a gift.

Standard Italian wedding.

e: if you’re cheap. A hundred? Common.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

John Smith posted:

Well, not that surprising for Asian weddings. My people are very bad at this as well, but at least Chinese weddings are over in 1 dinner. Indian weddings bring it up to the next level of crazy.

Did they went crazy on the traditional gold jewelry as well? Or was it more toned down, since Americanised? The ultra-traditional gold jewelry by the Chinese / Indians is really ugly in my view. Honestly, no class at all.

A girlfriend brought me to the wedding between a mainland Chinese and Taiwanese couple, and you could sense a bit of animosity and one upsmanship in the parents showing their ability to spend.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
One of my coworkers is of Nigerian descent and had a traditional wedding a few years back. There was one part where the newly-wedded couple danced while guests circled around them throwing money at them. At least a couple of guests threw hundred dollar bills. I guess some of these extravagant events can pay for themselves.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

So wait. The parents pay for the wedding and then take the wedding gifts, ostensibly addressed to the couple, to recoup what they paid? Feel like I'm missing something here

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jordan7hm posted:

e: if you’re cheap. A hundred? Common.
True, true. A mere hundred would be considered mildly insulting, depending on the context. Honestly, as a Chinese, being invited to another Chinese's wedding is a misfortune. Being the obnoxious rear end in a top hat that you all know and love, I have flat out turned down invitations from ex-colleagues that I wasn't close to. Screw it, I am 99% sure that we are never going to meet again and I am not giving the 100 to 200.

Moneyball posted:

A girlfriend brought me to the wedding between a mainland Chinese and Taiwanese couple, and you could sense a bit of animosity and one upsmanship in the parents showing their ability to spend.
Romeo and Juliet in real life.

"Wah?!?!?! You are marrying that no-good Chan from Guangzhong? Those filthy mainlander dogs!!! Never!!!"

AndrewP posted:

So wait. The parents pay for the wedding and then take the wedding gifts, ostensibly addressed to the couple, to recoup what they paid? Feel like I'm missing something here
In Chinese culture, you are supposed to recoup your wedding cost (hopefully) from the cash gifts. Since the parents are fronting the money, it is only fair and just that they recoup from the cash gifts. If there are any net losses, I assume the parents eat the cost in this case.

Otherwise, you are kinda screwing over your own parents if they are fronting the money and yet you keep all the cash gifts. Of course, every family is different so every case may differ.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

it hasn't happened yet-coming up in August. Part of their way of justifying the insane cost is that it's a traditional Indian wedding.
Ah, desi wedding showmanship. I feel you. My sister got married a couple years back. My folks spent slightly more than yours are planning to, but my folks are filthy rich. They actually sat down at one point and determined how much they needed to spend to look "presentable" and keep up with the wedding of another Indian family in the area, but without spending quite as much. Six figure price tag by the end of things. We did not have a professional dance crew or a helicopter like the Patel family did.

I was dismayed, but hey, they're GWM so it was their right. I can't imagine going into debt for something like that, though. Future benefits: my daughter (who was 6 at the time of the wedding) was horrified by the whole affair and declared that if she ever gets married 1) casual dress and cheap finger foods for the wedding 2) she'll request that guests contribute to charity in lieu of gifts. Dunno if she'll still feel that way in 20 years or so, but I'm mighty touched for the time being. :unsmith:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I’ve been told that weddings, like graduation parties, are supposed to be about transfering wealth from parents to kids via their social circles.

The parents throw a party and the kids get the gifts from their parents’s friends and family in the form of a bunch of small gifts instead of a big check from their parents.

Would it be more efficient to just write a check? Sure, but then it becomes so transactional.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

The Macaroni posted:

keep up with the wedding of another Indian family in the area, but without spending quite as much.
The dads just look so happy.

e: A buddy of mine married an Indian chick. He showed up at one wedding event riding an elephant.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

BigDave posted:

Do they still do the dowry thing? Never really understood how it worked.

It's technically been illegal since the 1960s, but enforcement is basically non-existent.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

John Smith posted:

Otherwise, you are kinda screwing over your own parents if they are fronting the money and yet you keep all the cash gifts. Of course, every family is different so every case may differ.

Uh no thanks, mom and dad. Give me a loan for my big dumb BWM wedding, or give me a gift, or give me nothing at all; whatevs. What I don't need is the stress and complication of some weird all-strings-attached mob-loan masquerading as a gift.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I think the question on all our minds today is "is more than $10,000 too much to spend on a wedding?"

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Moneyball posted:

I think the question on all our minds today is "is more than $10,000 too much to spend on a wedding?"

You've heard of a shotgun wedding? Well, let me give you my elevator pitch for something I like to call the "guillotine wedding."

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Trustworthy posted:

You've heard of a shotgun wedding? Well, let me give you my elevator pitch for something I like to call the "guillotine wedding."

A guillotine wedding without at least three deaths is considered a dull affair.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Moneyball posted:

$10,000? Ok.

$10,001? Guillotine.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Higgy posted:

$10,000? Ok.

$10,001? Guillotine.

$10,000.50?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I don't think the classification of "middle class" is accurate for people that can spend a quarter mil on a wedding.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

John Smith posted:

Romeo and Juliet in real life.

"Wah?!?!?! You are marrying that no-good Chan from Guangzhong? Those filthy mainlander dogs!!! Never!!!"

The Korean sisters I know have a mother who has forbidden them from dating non-Korean men, so I assume a real Chinese person dating a Maoist fake Chinese man would be even worse.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

This guy getting hosed brings warmth to my heart. House flipping unless you are a professional is a great way to lose your shirt. It's not loving 2006 any more.

poo poo always goes wrong with home repair. I just had replacing a simple closet door take 8 hours instead of 20 minutes because of terrible luck/inexperience, god knows what sort of trouble I'd get into if I decided to install a whole new wing on a house.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

John Smith posted:

It's golded out. Knowing my parents, the likelihood of the bridesmaids keeping any of the jewelry is pretty much zero but there's a ridiculous amount of it involved. My mom showed me her nosepiece, which has to weigh a pound in gold and jewels.

GWM: Rob an Indian wedding? My people are generally not pro-gun.

I'm also not sure if this is GWM or BWM: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Households-hold-950bn-gold-in-India/articleshow/10987660.cms

tl;dr: Indian housewives own ~11% of the world's gold.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gray area, but you're on notice mister bob dobbs is dead

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
It should come to no surprise that one side effect of these extravagant Indian /Chinese /Mexican weddings is that they support a whole cottage industry of caterers, photographers, party supply renters, seamstresses, etc. You see people tend to veer toward people in their community/culture for these tasks, so word of mouth becomes a huge asset for them (and doing a lovely job can be a career ender).

If you think huge weddings can be potentially BWM, you should see what people spend on funerals in these cultures!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

It's golded out. Knowing my parents, the likelihood of the bridesmaids keeping any of the jewelry is pretty much zero but there's a ridiculous amount of it involved. My mom showed me her nosepiece, which has to weigh a pound in gold and jewels.

I'm also not sure if this is GWM or BWM: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Households-hold-950bn-gold-in-India/articleshow/10987660.cms

Will the guests at least get to take the centerpieces home with them? It's a tradition in my wife's family after weddings, which makes sense given that flowers don't last forever and saves the host the hassle of getting rid of stuff.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Trustworthy posted:

Uh no thanks, mom and dad. Give me a loan for my big dumb BWM wedding, or give me a gift, or give me nothing at all; whatevs. What I don't need is the stress and complication of some weird all-strings-attached mob-loan masquerading as a gift.
How is it complicated? They front the cash, and then collect it on the backend from the cash gifts. Essentially, money never flows through your hands.

How can something be complicated if it involves you doing nothing? And in any case, you can always turn it down. Every man a free man in America and all that, you know.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The Korean sisters I know have a mother who has forbidden them from dating non-Korean men, so I assume a real Chinese person dating a Maoist fake Chinese man would be even worse.
Huh? Not sure what you are referring to by fake Chinese man? Both China and Taiwan people are accepted as pure (racial) Chinese. No typical Chinese will question this.

Sigh. That is what I thought. Wearing your life savings in gold is so Medieval.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Panfilo posted:

It should come to no surprise that one side effect of these extravagant Indian /Chinese /Mexican weddings is that they support a whole cottage industry of caterers, photographers, party supply renters, seamstresses, etc. You see people tend to veer toward people in their community/culture for these tasks, so word of mouth becomes a huge asset for them (and doing a lovely job can be a career ender).

If you think huge weddings can be potentially BWM, you should see what people spend on funerals in these cultures!
Holy poo poo, yea. It is quite typical for the Chinese to throw an elaborate wake lasting multiple days. Once again, being the mercenary money-grubbing people that we are, money features heavily. You are supposed to give a cash gift as a gesture of your condolences (I am not sure if this is true for every single Chinese group though).

If you are a prominent official or from a wealthy family, I can only imagine the extent it goes to. A large channel for corruption in China, I imagine.
“Sorry for your loss, Mr. Governor. Here is a little gesture, as per our cultural traditions” [Slips him 10k in cash]

Protip: We Chinese don't believe in the saying that you can't bring it with you. We bring our cash to the afterlife by burning (fake) paper money so that it joins us in the afterlife. The modern version even involves burning fake credit cards. I remember seeing on social media some creative fellow burning a fake bank building. Lol, that is creative thinking right there. Why just bring your bank money or bank credit card when you can bring the whole loving bank with you?

Panfilo posted:

Will the guests at least get to take the centerpieces home with them? It's a tradition in my wife's family after weddings, which makes sense given that flowers don't last forever and saves the host the hassle of getting rid of stuff.
Why would you want a bunch of dead flowers?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

John Smith posted:

Holy poo poo, yea. It is quite typical for the Chinese to throw an elaborate wake lasting multiple days. Once again, being the mercenary money-grubbing people that we are, money features heavily. You are supposed to give a cash gift as a gesture of your condolences (I am not sure if this is true for every single Chinese group though).

It's all about that red envelope

John Smith posted:

Why would you want a bunch of dead flowers?

Same reason people give out poinsettia plants around christmas. They look nice for a few days then you toss them.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moneyball posted:

It's all about that red envelope

Same reason people give out poinsettia plants around christmas. They look nice for a few days then you toss them.
Well, White envelope to be exact. I don't think the family would like it if you congratulated them on the death of their father.

Red for happy, White for death. It is extremely important that the colour is exactly correct. Even for the money-grubbing people that we are, far more offence will be created by the wrong colour than the lack of a gift.

Yea... I don't get that. Same thing with the stupid decorative pillows people put at the bedhead. Why? What practical purpose does it serve? I can proudly say that the Chinese are a extremely practical people. All about the money.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 29, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/st...%3D1941%23pti20

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lol. Please don't make me look up what all those people did.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Roseanne got her extremely popular show canceled this morning after a racist tweet.

Talk about BWM

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Without making me google, what did Kevin Sorbo do? efb

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Hoodwinker posted:

Without making me google, what did Kevin Sorbo do? efb

Sorbo just makes terrible Christian apologetic films (e.g. God's Not Dead)

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

John Smith posted:

Well, White envelope to be exact. I don't think the family would like it if you congratulated them on the death of their father.

Red for happy, White for death. It is extremely important that the colour is exactly correct. Even for the money-grubbing people that we are, far more offence will be created by the wrong colour than the lack of a gift.

Yea... I don't get that. Same thing with the stupid decorative pillows people put at the bedhead. Why? What practical purpose does it serve? I can proudly say that the Chinese are a extremely practical people. All about the money.

I got left by one in December, on Christmas. I bought her a christmas gift and got that, so I guess that could be considered BWM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
funeral strippers