Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I miss Vixen; she was an early pick for me for making it at least to top five, and I thought she'd be a lip sync assassin just from how she walked alone. Then like, she was voicing things on TV about racist double standards in editing and i feel like if we knew each other in person, I'd desperately want to be her friend... but honestly her drag was just too sloppy for the show and her performing just wasn't as strong as other queens.

I'm kind of scared for Asia honestly, because every time I shift to a new favorite queen on the show she leaves in an episode or two and she's my current favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

jit bull transpile posted:

For the record, Vixens drag genuinely is extremely political, but she was not able to represent her best self on the show. Her anxiety, which comes from living a really rough life in a hard part of the world for black people, got the best of her and she couldn't express herself articulately while feeling on the defensive all the time.

Like I said earlier, I identify with her a lot. I grew up in a city that was majority minority with a 60% poverty rate. I used to shoplift just to eat. My juvenile record is as long as my arm. When I perceive people with privilege coming at me, there is an overwhelming instinct to read them in the worst way possible.

It's hard not to see people as coming at you out of ignorance with no intention of having a meaningful dialog because when you grow up like the vixen or I did you have that experience over and over and over. You lose the ability to trust white people, or straight people, or cis people in my case. You start to see them as at best fair weather friends, at worst as a potential threat to your life, and your fight or flight instincts start screaming at you.

Now, with the reality of how queer people are treated online, we get that trauma reenforced 1000x because bigots are braver behind a keyboard than irl.

The end result is that we, to a person who has not lived our lives, look like we're flying off the handle at little things or "stereotyping all cis people" as one person told me, but the reality is we're acting out a basic survival instinct that life has ground into us.

This is why Asia's mentoring moment with Vixen was so special to me. Asia was the only person on the show who had lived even half of what vixen had lived and she was able to recognize how cornered and caged vixen felt. Helping her realize that Eureka was not the people that hurt her over the years and might not deserve the treatment vixen was giving her was cathartic. My wife has helped me back from the edge like that so many times. I really feel for Vixen because she went into a pressure cooker without whatever support network she had at home and as thanks she's going to be remembered as "that crazy hypocritical bitch" by privileged people who could never understand the life she's lived.

There are probably typos all over this post, please don't pounce on them to try to score points on me. My phone loves to autocorrect poo poo really badly for some reason.
This is the best articulation of why I love The Vixen as can be. She brought up the politics of black contestants on Drag Race in a way that hasn't occurred before, but I don't know if that will be recognized going forward.

I was unfriended by what I thought was a progressive white ex-military gay man on Facebook for defending her, so goes to show that people are really focusing on her minor hypocrisy in her second-to-last episode.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ubiquitous_ posted:

This is the best articulation of why I love The Vixen as can be. She brought up the politics of black contestants on Drag Race in a way that hasn't occurred before, but I don't know if that will be recognized going forward.

I was unfriended by what I thought was a progressive white ex-military gay man on Facebook for defending her, so goes to show that people are really focusing on her minor hypocrisy in her second-to-last episode.

yeah there's an awful lot of tone police voices out there saying "she would have been more succesful with her politics if she wasn't such a bitch to everyone" but i don't think that's true at all. i think her confrontational style is fantastic for a reality tv show. it's entirely the format for it

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
It was tiring, but it had a point, at least at first. I think if she hadn't been so...keen to escalate things that didn't need escalating she would have been a lot more memorable as "politically minded, though angry" as opposed to "angry, though politically minded"

And before anyone tries to call tone policing: I'm not saying she should have never escalated poo poo, I'm saying that she escalated everything regardless of how effective that was going to be. Girl had to pick her battles, and she picked all of them. Sometimes you gotta just drop poo poo and fume in the corner casting dirty looks, and if someone calls you out on that, then you escalate.
Like, the times that Eureka and Aquaria were goading her? loving yes bitch, tear into their asses. In the bottom two? emotional as gently caress in an already pressurized environment, do whatever gets you to the next round. I don't fault queens for falling apart on their elimination, poo poo's hard. (even alaska's meltdown in AS2 got a pass from me) The rest though seemed like anger that previously had a target being flailed around wildly until it hit something.

It absolutely made for good reality TV, poo poo is boring when it's a hugfest too early.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

yeah there's an awful lot of tone police voices out there saying "she would have been more succesful with her politics if she wasn't such a bitch to everyone" but i don't think that's true at all. i think her confrontational style is fantastic for a reality tv show. it's entirely the format for it

Calling her out for her enormous hypocrisy is not tone-policing and it's pretty obnoxious to deflect legit criticism against her by claiming it is. it's correctly giving her poo poo for hiding behind contrived reasons when she's trying to tear someone else down who she doesn't like, despite the other persons attempt to mend fences. Her accusing Eureka for being unprofessional for doing her job is stupid on the face of it, but then add that she's behaving like a brat when Eureka defends herself, and to top it all off accuses Eureka of not changing when she's a stubborn bitch herself that refuses to adjust her attitude, despite all the other queens telling her to tone it down a notch or five.

She deserved to be sent home for that tantrum, her persecution complex just got tiring in the end, as did her grudge against Eureka.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

For the record, Vixens drag genuinely is extremely political, but she was not able to represent her best self on the show. Her anxiety, which comes from living a really rough life in a hard part of the world for black people, got the best of her and she couldn't express herself articulately while feeling on the defensive all the time.

Like I said earlier, I identify with her a lot. I grew up in a city that was majority minority with a 60% poverty rate. I used to shoplift just to eat. My juvenile record is as long as my arm. When I perceive people with privilege coming at me, there is an overwhelming instinct to read them in the worst way possible.

It's hard not to see people as coming at you out of ignorance with no intention of having a meaningful dialog because when you grow up like the vixen or I did you have that experience over and over and over. You lose the ability to trust white people, or straight people, or cis people in my case. You start to see them as at best fair weather friends, at worst as a potential threat to your life, and your fight or flight instincts start screaming at you.

Now, with the reality of how queer people are treated online, we get that trauma reenforced 1000x because bigots are braver behind a keyboard than irl.

The end result is that we, to a person who has not lived our lives, look like we're flying off the handle at little things or "stereotyping all cis people" as one person told me, but the reality is we're acting out a basic survival instinct that life has ground into us.

This is why Asia's mentoring moment with Vixen was so special to me. Asia was the only person on the show who had lived even half of what vixen had lived and she was able to recognize how cornered and caged vixen felt. Helping her realize that Eureka was not the people that hurt her over the years and might not deserve the treatment vixen was giving her was cathartic. My wife has helped me back from the edge like that so many times. I really feel for Vixen because she went into a pressure cooker without whatever support network she had at home and as thanks she's going to be remembered as "that crazy hypocritical bitch" by privileged people who could never understand the life she's lived.

There are probably typos all over this post, please don't pounce on them to try to score points on me. My phone loves to autocorrect poo poo really badly for some reason.

Thank you...this made a lot of sense. Living with past trauma and being hyper vigilant sucks rear end. I'm familiar with other types of trauma on a personal level and when you broke it down like this - I obviously don't understand but I can relate. I certainly didn't mean to be coming at you from a place of hate or bigotry though I can see how it came off that way. I'm not perfect either and I hadn't picked up on what you just eloquently typed.

I hope it gets better for you and everyone else working through similar issues. :glomp:

edit to make it less about me

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 29, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Flyinglemur posted:

Thank you...this made a lot of sense. Living with past trauma and being hyper vigilant sucks rear end. I'm familiar with other types of trauma on a personal level and when you broke it down like this - I obviously don't understand but I can relate. I certainly didn't mean to be coming at you from a place of hate or bigotry though I can see how it came off that way. I'm not perfect either and I hadn't picked up on what you just eloquently typed.

I hope it gets better for you and everyone else working through similar issues. :glomp:

edit to make it less about me

Thank you :). It's really all I can ask, that people with more privilege just take a step back and try to understand when someone with less privilege starts "freaking out" because there is probably something more happening than just rudeness.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Thank you :). It's really all I can ask, that people with more privilege just take a step back and try to understand when someone with less privilege starts "freaking out" because there is probably something more happening than just rudeness.

You're still wrong about Eureka though. She needs to go home 4 episodes ago.

:)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Flyinglemur posted:

You're still wrong about Eureka though. She needs to go home 4 episodes ago.

:)

Lol. I mean, Eureka basically is a something awful poster in drag queen form so I understand it's hard for some folks to stare into that abyss.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vixen and Eureka are two sides of a messy coin and I love them both. It was 100% Vixen's time when she went home tho, and the way she called out Eureka on stage and her reasoning for it was lol a choice.

I just find it funny so many people are still mad at Vixen for being at 11 nearly her whole run when girl let us know she was there to fight from the jump!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

esperterra posted:

Vixen and Eureka are two sides of a messy coin and I love them both. It was 100% Vixen's time when she went home tho, and the way she called out Eureka on stage and her reasoning for it was lol a choice.

I just find it funny so many people are still mad at Vixen for being at 11 nearly her whole run when girl let us know she was there to fight from the jump!

I agree with this. Listen, I love Vixen when she's not needlessly picking fights. If someone pokes the bear they deserve a mauling, but it's when she keeps hunting them across the nation to maul their asses I get annoyed.
She uses her drag to fight for good, and she won't back down when someone is acting like an rear end and I got mad respect for that, and she looks fierce, and on average I like her alot more than Eureka.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Lol. I mean, Eureka basically is a something awful poster in drag queen form so I understand it's hard for some folks to stare into that abyss.

I see what you did there ;)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I found Vixen far more fun when she was instigating poo poo between OTHER queens. When it came to her own poo poo, she was boring and annoying.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I have on average enjoyed The Vixen’s outfits more than Eureka’s week to week. There’s just more being said with them. That said, there were some terrible ones, too.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I have on average enjoyed The Vixen’s outfits more than Eureka’s week to week. There’s just more being said with them. That said, there were some terrible ones, too.

Vixen is very much a raw talent. The concepts are there and potent, but the execution lacks finesse. I would guess that she'd tell you that's deliberate but drag race doesn't try to hide that they value polish pretty heavily.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Miss Congeniality voting is live!

http://www.vh1.com/shows/rupauls-drag-race/widget/miss-congeniality

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

I had to go with my gut and vote Congenial over fan favorite. Picked Blair, though I heard Kalorie was very nice she wasn't around long enough for me to get enough info. My fan favorite vote would have been that Cracker-rear end Cracker. A shame they didn't put up a vote for each category this year.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Voted vixen for miss congeniality bc words don’t mean anything and I enjoyed p much every shitfight she picked except for the awkward embarrassing eureka callout

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The Vixen had looks, even if some of them weren't as polished. I think her worst looks were mostly things she had to make on the show. Also her makeup is really good and I like her use of body makeup a lot. Eureka's drag just doesn't excite me and most of it is because I loving hate her hair loaf poo poo and generally don't like her makeup. However I did really like her best drag bodysuit.

Anyway I voted for Monique Heart. I think she was sweet and fun to watch and deserves to win that 10k. Second choice for me would be Monet.

I would have picked Asia, but she's top four.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Anyway I voted for Monique Heart. I think she was sweet and fun to watch and deserves to win that 10k.

me too. the heart of s10!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If I could vote I would vote for Blair.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Voted vixen for miss congeniality bc words don’t mean anything and I enjoyed p much every shitfight she picked except for the awkward embarrassing eureka callout

Same. But it's probably gonna go to either Miz Cracker, Monique Heart, or MISSSSS VANJIE.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Same. But it's probably gonna go to either Miz Cracker, Monique Heart, or MISSSSS VANJIE.

Eh I’m fine with any of this or miss monet, Blair is the only name I hear thrown around for Ms C I can’t really get behind

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Eh I’m fine with any of this or miss monet, Blair is the only name I hear thrown around for Ms C I can’t really get behind

Blair seemed like she got along with everyone tho.

I would pick Asia and her mother hen attitude if not for her prob winning this whole thing tho.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I voted for Blair, but I will die laughing if Miss VAAAAN-JIE takes it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I can't believe they aren't doing a real Miss C from queens/crew and a Fan Fave vote after last year's reunion drama over Val winning lmao

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

#TeamAsia

Give her $110K already.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Voted Vanjie for lifting spirits without even being there.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Miss Vaaaannnnnjieeeeeeee

bunky fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 30, 2018

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

It's for sure going to be Miss Vanjie or Kameron. There hasn't been any other outright fan favorite, so people are going to go with the meme or the thrist trap.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

esperterra posted:

I can't believe they aren't doing a real Miss C from queens/crew and a Fan Fave vote after last year's reunion drama over Val winning lmao

lol, seriously. Looking back over the past winners tho, I'd say only Latrice, Nina Flowers & Cucu were legit Miss Cs, the rest fan faves, so I guess the distinction doesn't matter at this point.

Anyway, I voted Monet. Monique was definitely up there but Monet's been there longer and I can't think of a single uncongenial moment she's had besides some delusion about her runways. And as much as I hated that sponge dress, her good humour about queens constantly ripping on it was so charming :3:

esperterra posted:

I would pick Asia and her mother hen attitude if not for her prob winning this whole thing tho.

:same:

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

alf_pogs posted:

the episode of untucked where Vixen pointed out all the cameras and talked about the optics of an "angry black lady" and how she'll be thought about compared to Eureka and Aquaria was about as heavy and specific a political conversation as Drag Race has ever had. i get her drag wasn't polished - real DIY vibes - but the political dimension she brought to the show was pretty undeniable

The Vixen didn't point that out, Asia is the one who had poignent thoughts on Vixen's beef with Eureka and race, etc. The Vixen came off as crass, immature and self-sabotaging. The political dimension and conversations she brought out of everyone is certainly undeniable, but that didn't seem to be her actual goal. The Vixen seemed completely unaware of the political aspect of the shitshow happening around her. If there was a political message presented in her drag on the show, I missed it.

This is why Asia's mentoring moment with Vixen was so special to me. Asia was the only person on the show who had lived even half of what vixen had lived and she was able to recognize how cornered and caged vixen felt. Helping her realize that Eureka was not the people that hurt her over the years and might not deserve the treatment vixen was giving her was cathartic.

Yes this was a great moment, except that The Vixen completely ignored all this advice and went after Eureka even harder?

I don't think Eureka had all that privileged of an upbringing as a poor overweight flamboyant gay kid in rural Tennessee. She clearly had a traumatic upbringing too.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Lmao that's how low the bar is set eh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bliggers- posted:

The Vixen didn't point that out, Asia is the one who had poignent thoughts on Vixen's beef with Eureka and race, etc. The Vixen came off as crass, immature and self-sabotaging. The political dimension and conversations she brought out of everyone is certainly undeniable, but that didn't seem to be her actual goal. The Vixen seemed completely unaware of the political aspect of the shitshow happening around her. If there was a political message presented in her drag on the show, I missed it.

In Untucked for like episode 2 The Vixen straight up points out the cameras and tells Aquaria what's what with how viewers will take the black queen defending herself while the white twink cries on the couch beside her.

e: also I agree with you re: her not really bringing a political agenda to her drag on the show, but idk if that's really her fault since she's constrained by the runway rules so saying she isn't political enough in her drag on the show is a bit of a weird complaint. she talked about and they showed enough pictures of her being political outside the show.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I forgot did anyone bring up The Vixen's extremely unsubtle Lipstick Message? She clearly thought that the other queens would vote to send Eureka home and was absolutely shocked and insulted that they didn't back her. Which just shows a lack of self awareness and maturity. Asia said herself that a true friend will really tell you when you're perfect and when you're not, and The Vixen deserved to be in the bottom, not Eureka.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

esperterra posted:

In Untucked for like episode 2 The Vixen straight up points out the cameras and tells Aquaria what's what with how viewers will take the black queen defending herself while the white twink cries on the couch beside her.

e: also I agree with you re: her not really bringing a political agenda to her drag on the show, but idk if that's really her fault since she's constrained by the runway rules so saying she isn't political enough in her drag on the show is a bit of a weird complaint. she talked about and they showed enough pictures of her being political outside the show.

Yes she did make a point about the optics of the situation but also seemed entirely blind as to how she was creating those optics through her own aggression towards the other queens. I very much respect that The Vixen had an extremely hard upbringing, but so did almost all the contestants. Also that seemed like a commentary on racism within the DR fanbase which is a very sticky debate to get into.

The Vixen sold her Drag as political in basis, but her Drag in general didn't seem all that polished tbh. I have no doubts that her performances outside the show are more creative and political, but part of her issue was that she had a difficult time translating her Drag into the show's format successfully. Instead of working towards that goal she just lashed out at everyone around her and blamed them for her failure.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I mean, I wasn't too into her, but how much of a political message could she really squeeze into most of the challenges and runways?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Bliggers- posted:

Yes she did make a point about the optics of the situation but also seemed entirely blind as to how she was creating those optics through her own aggression towards the other queens.

That's a little unfair. At the time she said that in Untucked the only real issue she had with anyone at that point was Aquaria. And Aquaria had the tendency to make snide comments and then immediately run away from confrontation. Which means the tears were either performative or Aquaria needed to stop throwing shade if she's that unable to handle criticism.

And for all the flack The Vixen got for never coming out below 10, when she tried to not bring her dislike of a contestant out in to the open said contestant needled her into it anyway. At that point what's the use of trying not to be confrontational?

This isn't to say Vixen was a particularly strong contestant in the challenges or on the runway, but I enjoyed her workroom attitude and her embodiment of a perspective we don't get to see on Drag Race so explicitly.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Toast Museum posted:

I mean, I wasn't too into her, but how much of a political message could she really squeeze into most of the challenges and runways?

mermaid challenge: dress as a fishbelly

But really, I think it could be possible but it'd be pretty drat tough and the judges are really not going to give a queen points for contorting the assignment into some poignant commentary on race relations and capitalism every challenge (they are way more likely to reward whoever does the best overblown/messy caricature of their own race if we look at past seasons). The show has been more overtly political this season with Ru's workroom talks, but I agree that the challenges themselves still don't leave that much room for interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I respect Ru but her politics seem to end at a very baby boomer influenced, milquetoast #resist level. I honestly think incisive, meaningful political statements could end up hurting you in the competition

• Locked thread