Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Fantastipotamus posted:

According to this article with choco, twitch gets 50% by default (probably either tiered or negotiable based on subscriber count?). Your point stands though, I would be quite happy with $25k a month.

What I find interesting is how short lived it could be for any streamer. Someone on choco’s stream was like ‘you don’t seem to be enjoying yourself, why don’t you take a break?’, and choco basically said his (or anyone’s) viewer base could dry up completely over a couple weeks of inactivity, especially with a younger audience. One would hope none of these guys are falling prey to the rookie-with-a-massive-contract mentality that it’ll last forever. You get a house and YOU get a house and YOU get a house

Yeah, Choco's old enough and mature enough to have known what he was getting into, and he's certainly not the type to spend all the money. Dr Disrespect is 35. Ninja is 26. Most of these big time streamers are not teens that suddenly made it big. Shroud talks a lot about buying rolexes. I don't know if it's just talk, to build an image, but he strikes me as perhaps a tiny bit less financially responsible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Age has little to do with ability to responsibly manage money. Especially windfall-ish types of cash.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
can you no longer report TKs?

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Video I made awhile ago where a guy playing likely in the same room as his friend Jason kept getting annoyed at him.... kinda funny. It's probably even a goon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icWbG3uoDdY

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Here's where I skillfully select the best spot to crouch behind a wall.

also: lol jason get with the program!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

afkmacro posted:

That time you jumped out of the four story red building with an uzi to dropshot the dude was some Chuck Norris poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50u39iMqURU

:getin:

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Doorknob Slobber posted:

some people get really angry when this happens, but I think its really funny

I think it's really important to have a crew that treats it with comedy, we have so many wild mishaps and they're pretty hilarious to us.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
The weird vehicle physics are some of the most fun I've had in pubg

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Anyone playing/played in the PGI qualifiers? We're playing in the OC one this weekend, was wondering if there's anything to know about the process and how hard I've gotta spam the "check-in" button when it becomes available.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So uh, PUBG's devs are suing Fortnite for copyright infringement. And by that I mean they're suing Epic Games. The guys who make Unreal Engine, which PUBG uses.

People have tried before.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Elman posted:

So uh, PUBG's devs are suing Fortnite for copyright infringement. And by that I mean they're suing Epic Games. The guys who make Unreal Engine, which PUBG uses.

Those lawsuits really don't sound similar, besides Epic being the defendant in both.

Anyway, isn't PUBG basically a direct copy of H1Z1? I would have thought that H1Z1 was the first standalone BR game.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

csidle posted:

Those lawsuits really don't sound similar, besides Epic being the defendant in both.

Oh yeah, what I meant is I hope they've done their homework before this suit, cause it'd be pretty funny if they're breaking the terms in some way and they end up losing their UE license like Silicon Knights did.

Elman fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 29, 2018

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Elman posted:

Tencent is an owner of Epic and an Investor of PUBG Corp (as they're the Chinese distributor) and I think they also created the mobile client? Seems like a bit of a mess there.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

came to mock the gamer.txt melodrama on pubg reddit, turns out someone beat me to it

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I watched these guys play a bit earlier and maybe viss was having an off day but it was some super unremarkable pubg. Halifax seemed very potato. Viss's movement was also kind of meh.

Choco is definitely good shooting and good movement and decisions. I saw a Faze clan guy streaming recently who was absolutely top tier. TBH a ton of the pubg streamers are good but not great. Shroud is great, but not so much as someone to learn from. His mechanics are just so good that he gets away with a lot of dumb stuff, which he does because it's more entertaining.

Viss played competitive PUBG so his style is a bit different. He plays to win, not to get 20 kills.

Choco/Shroud/j9 are the best to watch for "these guys hot drop and kill a bunch of people." And they have been playing together a lot lately.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, Choco's old enough and mature enough to have known what he was getting into, and he's certainly not the type to spend all the money. Dr Disrespect is 35. Ninja is 26. Most of these big time streamers are not teens that suddenly made it big. Shroud talks a lot about buying rolexes. I don't know if it's just talk, to build an image, but he strikes me as perhaps a tiny bit less financially responsible.

Shroud is a literal multi-millionaire though.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Is this lawsuit in the same boat as when pubg went after mobile clones to create legal precedence for actual cases because :capitalism:?

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 29, 2018

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Viss played competitive PUBG so his style is a bit different. He plays to win, not to get 20 kills.

Choco/Shroud/j9 are the best to watch for "these guys hot drop and kill a bunch of people." And they have been playing together a lot lately.

Shroud is a literal multi-millionaire though.

The biggest thing allowing them to be leagues above everyone else is their equipment. Being able to afford the best video card/computer/internet connection that money can buy will always give you the advantage.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It’s also nearly impossible to get 20 kills in a game unless people are steam sniping you. And that term is being used pretty lightly since most of these idiots just want to die on stream.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Neutrino posted:

The biggest thing allowing them to be leagues above everyone else is their equipment. Being able to afford the best video card/computer/internet connection that money can buy will always give you the advantage.

I highly disagree with this. 130fps isn't going to help you shoot heads any better than 90-100fps. Sure if you are talking about lagging around constantly because of dial-up internet and having like 50fps, yes, it's an advantage. But you shouldn't be playing this game if that's your setup.

This biggest thing allowing them to be leagues above everyone else is they play 8+ hours a day and are very, very good at video games.

VulgarandStupid posted:

It’s also nearly impossible to get 20 kills in a game unless people are steam sniping you. And that term is being used pretty lightly since most of these idiots just want to die on stream.

I do agree stream snipers help a kill total, but 15+ in a solo win for Choco with not many snipers is pretty common. He drops hot and is always looking for a fight and headed towards gunfire.

Shroud on the other hand drops hot and then gets about 8 people throwing bodies at him.

Viss wins are more in the range of 5-10 kills since he plays to win and doesn't drop super hot like the other two.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 29, 2018

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This biggest thing allowing them to be leagues above everyone else is they play 8+ hours a day and are very, very good at video games.

This is the big thing in my opinion. Like I used to be so much better at games when I was playing counter strike 6-8 hours a day. Now I am bad at FPSes. It would be pretty sad if a streamer was playing literally all day and was bad at the game.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah, I don't think having the latest tech makes a big difference once you're past a certain fairly low threshold.

Multiple times in my long gaming history I've went from a low spec pc to the latest and greatest and it had little effect on my gaming performance.

It probably makes a difference when you're playing at the extreme limits of gaming capability, but it's not going to turn you from a better than average gamer into shroud.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neutrino posted:

There are thousands of players with gear way better than them that still suck and there are players with gear way worse than mine who perform better. If you think the "biggest thing" responsible for them being "leagues above everyone else" is their equipment you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Stealthgerbil posted:

This is the big thing in my opinion. Like I used to be so much better at games when I was playing counter strike 6-8 hours a day. Now I am bad at FPSes. It would be pretty sad if a streamer was playing literally all day and was bad at the game.

Yeah, this is it, if you have time (or it's your job) to play 8+ hours a day, you will eventually get Really loving Good, unless you're just bad at video games.

I played CS for 6+ hours a day and I could click heads like a savant, got banned from a lot of public servers for "hacking" and poo poo like that; now Im just bad

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It turns out when you do something for 40 hours per week, you end up getting good at it after a while.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Can confirm. 1080ti and 144hz monitor, still a potato.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

time spent playing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for being really good

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
So all I need is cheap stereo earbuds, 16GB ram, the shittiest 1080 video card, and the cheapest 10Mbps AT&T internet and I can be as good as Shroud if I quit my day job? Right :rolleyes:

Star Man posted:

It turns out when you do something for 40 hours per week, you end up getting good at it after a while.

You haven't met my coworkers....

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

The weird vehicle physics are some of the most fun I've had in pubg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhrD4ylMAXk

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Neutrino posted:

So all I need is cheap stereo earbuds, 16GB ram, the shittiest 1080 video card, and the cheapest 10Mbps AT&T internet and I can be as good as Shroud if I quit my day job? Right :rolleyes:

I would be a million dollars that Shroud would be just as good on the system you describe assuming the latency isn't like 250ms or something on that internet connection.

Latency on your internet connection is a different beast from 70FPS vs 144FPS.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Neutrino posted:

its u

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neutrino posted:

I'm very confused, are you talking about a GeForce 1080? I'm very confused about where you're trying to get. If 10 Mbps is enough bandwidth for a game and you don't get packet loss and high latency, then sure, that PC is not gonna cap anyone performance-wise. I got 16 GB and it's definitely not ruining my gaming experience.

You won't be as good as Shroud because Shroud knows how to be good and you're stuck in a mindset of saying that the "biggest reason" is his rig.

Also you're taking the argument to extremes. No one's saying that you can obtain the top of the top performance with the shittiest rig a person can find. The point is that diminishing returns kick in fast enough that you don't need to be a millionaire to obtain peak performance. Regardless of how good Shroud's PC is there are plenty of people with better PC than him who are a lot worse, and if you were to downgrade his PC considerably he wouldn't suddenly become a 1 K/D player.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 29, 2018

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Good equipment definitely helps. Most of the good goon players are running pretty high end rigs with good monitors. I’ve tried playing on my laptop with an egpu and it’s punishing. The frame drops really kill you in close combat. The small screen really hurts me at long range.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I myself advocate good monitors, and to get good FPS you definitely need a decent computer, but it's unbelievably naive to look at someone who plays infinitely better than you, practices every day, literally works playing video games and say "oh yeah the biggest reason for that is his gear".

Elentor fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 29, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Are you still massively advantaged with a higher ping in PUBG, assuming you don't trigger the ping lock?

Shroud specifically plays at 1080p over 1440p because PUBG is such an unoptimized mess, and Chocotaco had to swap out his 27" 1440p 144hz monitor for a 24" 1080p one because the frame drops were too bad. I think Chocotaco said something like 1440p is an advantage over 1080p, but 140+ FPS over 80-90 FPS is much more of an advantage.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

If you think gear is what matters then you need to go and watch the start of the racing documentary The Fate of the Furious where Dominic Toretto proves definitively that it's not the equipment, but the skill of the operator that matters.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Having consistently high frame rates is definitely an advantage. If your machine starts stuttering or dropping frames in a firefight then it becomes extremely difficult to retain accurate control over mouse movement and recoil compensation.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Neutrino posted:

Some people are also naturally gifted at using a KB/M, but Shroud has been doing this thing called PC gaming in shooters forever now and he's really, really good at it. Him having 16GB of RAM and a 1080 and he would still be really, really good at it. His equipment being top of the line is extremely marginal at having anything to do with him being any better than anyone else in the world.

John DiFool posted:

Having consistently high frame rates is definitely an advantage. If your machine starts stuttering or dropping frames in a firefight then it becomes extremely difficult to retain accurate control over mouse movement and recoil compensation.

If your computer is dropping frames during a fire fight then you have absolute poo poo equipment for this game and yes I agree it is hindering your performance. But I guarantee you if I gave shroud my computer he would absolutely wreck still (16GB, a 1060 6GB, and a Ryzen 5). I get 100 frames.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Neutrino posted:

actually you just need a really good gaming chair to become shroudlike. you loving nob

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
streaming also gives you better rng. it's just a fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Some people are also naturally gifted at using a KB/M, but Shroud has been doing this thing called PC gaming in shooters forever now and he's really, really good at it. Him having 16GB of RAM and a 1080 and he would still be really, really good at it. His equipment being top of the line is extremely marginal at having anything to do with him being any better than anyone else in the world.

If your computer is dropping frames during a fire fight then you have absolute poo poo equipment for this game and yes I agree it is hindering your performance. But I guarantee you if I gave shroud my computer he would absolutely wreck still (16GB, a 1060 6GB, and a Ryzen 5). I get 100 frames.

Shroud is an extreme outlier when it comes to skill. He has the experience and skill to compensate for less than ideal hardware. Most people will improve their chances a great deal just by having a computer that consistently maintains a high minimum frame-rate.

If you never notice frame drops or stuttering in this game then I literally have no words because it's definitely there. There are clips of shroud getting extreme drops in frame-rate in even basic encounters where no more than 4 players are present, and he runs a 8700k, 1080ti, and 3600Mhz DDR4 RAM which is top-tier hardware at the moment.