Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

little munchkin posted:

not sure you can afford to cut the capsize, it's tutorable with teachings and lets you bounce stuff without requiring all the resources of the flicker loop. i've been running into a lot of pestilence decks lately where this has been relevant.

If you're having time pressure problems you're never going to win against a fast Pestilence opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Somone is real mad about tron so they made themselves play a deck of 25 counterspells and 2 flurry of horns. How do you out counter that? If you draw 1 more land than you need you lose. It's really annoying how powerful 4x accumulated knowlege 4x brainstorm and all the rest counterspells is. They need to restrict things in pauper.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

A Moose posted:

Somone is real mad about tron so they made themselves play a deck of 25 counterspells and 2 flurry of horns. How do you out counter that? If you draw 1 more land than you need you lose. It's really annoying how powerful 4x accumulated knowlege 4x brainstorm and all the rest counterspells is. They need to restrict things in pauper.

You accept that people can build a deck specifically to beat your deck and that they will never ever beat any other deck in the format.

Alternatively you use your insane mana advantage to cast 5 spells in 1 turn and if they have 6 counters and the mana to cast them all and a followup well good for them.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

A Moose posted:

Kill their four Minotaurs and mill them out?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

A Moose posted:

games 2 and 3 side in all your counters and just don't cast spells past turn 5. with your mana advantage it's going to be hard for them to cast flurry, win a counter war, and also answer whatever you cast on your main phase. If you have enough lands you can also start the fight yourself with a capsize on their end step. This will also punish AK since they can't keep more than 7 counterspells.

i've been running into nothing but kiln fiend and delver the last few leagues :(

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

part of the problem is that I can't afford the goddamn pauper sideboard. I just get wrecked for not having more than 1 Moment's peace, no hydroblasts to counter the pyroblasts everyone sides in against me, no edicts, no knight of the whatever monarch bullshit (why is this even legal thats a draft only set???) I'd have to sell my whole deck just to get a few sideboard pieces to counter everyone else's tron hate. gently caress this is an expensive rear end format. Just lost against a pauper deck that must be worth over $100 with all the foiled out promo poo poo, it was RB control too. I got run over by Distress and Chittering Rats because I never drew counters and he countered my card draw. Is it right to side in ancient grudges JUST to counter someone's relic of progenitus?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Don't side in Hydroblast solely to counter Pyroblast. You'll just get stuck with a bunch of Hydroblasts rotting in your hand. If Burn and Kiln Fiend weren't such horrendous matchups and if I didn't need Hydroblasts for my anti-Affinity strategy I'd have maybe 1 Hydroblast in the board and would have more Dispels. If you're getting all of your card draw Pyroblasted, you're getting unlucky to draw so little card draw. Like yeah those dorky RB control decks might have the perfect draw where they can Duress a Compulsive, counter your Oracle or Mulldrifter and you never draw another blue card and never find a Pulse or a Teachings or whatever, but you can't really build your deck to try to beat that sequence.

I'll side in Ancient Grudge to eat a naked Relic if the matchup is great, like against those black-based control decks I'll side in a speculative Grudge since you don't really need Moment's Peaces and are only bringing in the one Deep Analysis. It helps hedge against Relic actually being useful for once, and if you get to kill a Relic with the opponent tapped out it's pretty awesome.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Well I had an extremely exciting round 1 of the challenge where I won because I'm great. Feels good.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Update us hellsau, did you defend your title?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

always be closing posted:

Update us hellsau, did you defend your title?

Naw lost to Mezzel in the finals, which is okay. They're the best Mono-Blue Delver pilot and I punted game 2 (which might not actually be a punt) and kept some mediocre hands so whatever. We upgraded our modem and now I get 10mbps upload so actually wow only 2 more minutes to upload the last round, I guess I'll just post the results now.

is there no easy way to link a playlist without the link getting eaten by the auto-youtuber on the forums?

I made some brilliant plays this Challenge and some really dumb punts. 2nd is good enough.

e: lol wow I played M2G2 very well, holy moley.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 21, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Is that three for three on making the finals? Congrats!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jabor posted:

Is that three for three on making the finals? Congrats!

Yeah, 9/2/1/2 are my finishes. Tron is just broken.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

good grief :stare:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

good grief :stare:

Oh yeah I feel really good about my wins in those first two rounds. I made some unintuitive plays that really paid off.

of course i also just chose not to counter a lethal spell in a later round so...

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Hellsau, your tron deck is in the latest CFB Pauper article: https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/know-your-enemy-tron-decks/

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

teddust posted:

Hellsau, your tron deck is in the latest CFB Pauper article: https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/know-your-enemy-tron-decks/

yeah just keep siding in Relic of Progenitus, I'm sure that'll stop Tron.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Yeah, it seems like the only thing this deck loses to is extremely bad luck and poor piloting.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

CompeAnansi posted:

Yeah, it seems like the only thing this deck loses to is extremely bad luck and poor piloting.

And Burn or Kiln Fiend. And nut draws.

ban tron

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
These are some good videos. Also flicker is a silly card.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Someone playtest this poo poo for me por favor
I don't have MTGO or anyone to play against in person :\

Lands
18 Mountain

Instants
4 Fireblast
4 Flame Burst
4 Gut Shot or Shock
4 Incinerate
4 Kindle
4 Lightning Bolt

Sorceries
4 Chain Lightning or Lava Spike

Creatures
4 Bloodcrazed Neonate or Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Emberwilde Augur or Firebrand Archer
4 Mogg Fanatic or Jackal Pup
2 Reckless Reveler

Sideboard
SB: 4 Electrickery
SB: 3 Molten Rain
SB: 4 Pyroblast
SB: 4 Smash to Smithereens

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Are any of the madness decks competitive? I have an r/g one that I haven't tried in leagues yet but play with friends in paper sometimes. Its like some kind of stompy burn mix. Wondering if I should just jam the full 4 rancors though.

I think I have the cards for u/g madness too, at least the circular logics.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

UG is crap, they're just the worst kind of Delver deck, but RG Madness where you're basically a Wild Mongrel Stompy deck with Faithless Looting and Firey Temper/Basking Rootwalla/maybe that lovely 1R 4/1 as a sort of card advantage is fine. You get to play a lot of burn and big creatures and 4 Rancor. Multicolor aggressive decks are all kind of derpy though and playing 1 and 2 mana threats with tapped lands is just begging to get owned by Spellstutter Sprite.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

my friend, take those UG lands and sleeve up your arcane denials and jace's erasures

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

My Bogles opponent just allowed me to stack 9 combat skips while they had a Relic of Progenitus in play.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 26, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I understand about half of what your opponent is saying there, and not the relevant half of either sentence.

Edit:
Play with people's deck after talking?
Kill depressing opponent and something count something saw something???

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 26, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Welp I just went 10-0 in leagues, using up all of my luck so predictably I'll get owned in the challenge and die 0-3. I did go 2-3 3-2 in the leagues before my two trophies, somehow losing to Bogles, Elves and Boros, along with Burn twice. Those losses to Bogles and Boros were pretty tilting, not gonna lie. Gonna record my challenge run tomorrow, pray that I either get owned hard or start off 6-0.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm pretty new at this whole pauper thing, but I'm pretty sure if you're playing mono-red burn, you probably shouldn't side in Stone Rains against Tron and waste 3 whole mana having your spell Condescended... I only won game 1 because I got super lucky to Crop Rotation a land into the yard, Mystical Teachings both of my Pulses, Crack a map for my Remote Isle, and then topdeck 2 Mnemonic Walls in a row. That guy must have been tilted as gently caress

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

A Moose posted:

I'm pretty new at this whole pauper thing, but I'm pretty sure if you're playing mono-red burn, you probably shouldn't side in Stone Rains against Tron and waste 3 whole mana having your spell Condescended... I only won game 1 because I got super lucky to Crop Rotation a land into the yard, Mystical Teachings both of my Pulses, Crack a map for my Remote Isle, and then topdeck 2 Mnemonic Walls in a row. That guy must have been tilted as gently caress

Molten Rain is a way to steal games you're already going to win. It's just like the creatures though, where it's a truly atrocious topdeck once the opponent can interact with it in any way - Crop Rotation, Flicker, a counterspell, ignoring it and just taking two and Pulsing their way back to Tron, etc.

It's especially horrendous in that bad Lavarunner version of Burn because it tricks Burn players into playing their cycle lands to try to hit three mana, and blowing out their three mana play can turn around a game really quickly.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
on the other hand, you gotta replace searing blazes with something, and your only other option is usually smash to smithereens

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

little munchkin posted:

on the other hand, you gotta replace searing blazes with something, and your only other option is usually smash to smithereens

I don't think you do. Tron is still going to have the dorky card draw creatures for you to target.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

I don't think you do. Tron is still going to have the dorky card draw creatures for you to target.

it's a conditional card. the floor is a complete blank and the ceiling is you paid two mana for a lightning bolt that also enables your opponent's spell that gains them six life

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Just keep Searing Blaze in, it's not like Tron can win without resolving a creature.

Also ban loving Delver of Secrets already, jesus christ, my round 3 loss is a textbook case for why Delver of Secrets is the best creature in Delver decks by miles.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

little munchkin posted:

it's a conditional card. the floor is a complete blank and the ceiling is you paid two mana for a lightning bolt that also enables your opponent's spell that gains them six life

If you actually had something better then yeah, you'd swap them out. I don't think you take them out for a three-mana shock that enables Pulse.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

If you actually had something better then yeah, you'd swap them out. I don't think you take them out for a three-mana shock that enables Pulse.

thats a good point. go with blaze i guess

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

My Pauper Challenge run is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UESioEk5EdQ&list=PLR6AT3MJ7VNyb4XeuhoUXxKFnPD6B7H0i

I went 4-3. My round 3 loss is bullshit and anyone who says Delver of Secrets is anything other than incredible can go gently caress themselves.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 28, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Got owned in the challenge, figured I would just go through a league:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5p29W6wsDU&list=PLR6AT3MJ7VNzq_Oqw46AXswbFXbbJsKBe

really gotta learn not to just copy and paste playlist links

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So my Izzet Delver opponent just had a Relic of Progenitus and Serrated Arrows in play against my Stonehorn Tron. Two artifacts that are horrible. Guess which one was worse, the 2 mana cycler or the 4 mana do nothing?

The Relic by far - they ended up cracking Relic to stop my Mnemonic Wall trigger from getting back a Prohibit. They then cast a Swirling Sandstorm and conceded on the following turn. That's a lot of bad sideboard cards, but holy poo poo was Relic bad.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau posted:

They then cast a Swirling Sandstorm

:eyepop:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pauper/comments/8n2udh/if_you_could_choose_a_few_cards_to_ban_from/

Seriously there are some insanely dumb motherfuckers on the Pauper subreddit.

Honestly, anyone bringing in either Relic or Sandstorm against Tron is making a mistake, and someone siding in both is surely not thinking things through. I laughed my rear end off when they played the Sandstorm with an empty graveyard, paused, then conceded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hellsau posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pauper/comments/8n2udh/if_you_could_choose_a_few_cards_to_ban_from/

Seriously there are some insanely dumb motherfuckers on the Pauper subreddit.

Yeah, Capsize and Bog are stupid, but at least this is someone who recognizes that Delver is a problem.