Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured, I didn't mean to imply you were one of the people I was talking about, it was just what made me think of it.

No worries, just wanted to clarify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

MockingQuantum posted:

My friend who "loves" it started to explain the rules to us once, and the mantra was "there's a really simple mechanic buried in here, I swear!"

I was about to talk about the taxi mechanic and how I thought it was nifty. And then realized there's a much simpler way to do it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Android is an interesting premise that didn't translate to a good game because Kevin Wilson loving sucks at paring poo poo down, while at the same time having a shallow as hell primary gameplay loop.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Why are we poking a turd if we can all agree it stinks? I'd rather hear about what's so good in Food Chain Magnate and Kanban, maybe I missed some gems?

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Pierzak posted:

Why are we poking a turd if we can all agree it stinks? I'd rather hear about what's so good in Food Chain Magnate and Kanban, maybe I missed some gems?

Isn't there value in both knowing why a thing is bad as well as why other things are good?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
My wife and I are looking to buy a house, and in looking at a listing our realtor sent us I found a kindred spirit:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Ask if you can get the collection thrown in.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
He/she also appears to have done the "gently caress it" method of networking by probably running a single long network cable into the wall near their router and out a small hole near their PC so they're basically me already.

Also I very much enjoy 7 Wonders being shelved next to A Distant Plain for reasons I can't describe.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

FulsomFrank posted:

Where does Falling Sky sit on the COIN complexity/fun chart?

It's not particularly complex. I think Cuba Libre is absolutely the game you want to start with, but that Falling Sky could potentially work as a first COIN, or certainly one to jump to after Cuba Libre if the period interests you.

Pierzak posted:

Kanban is my favorite Lacerda. It's a big sprawling mess like all of his games but the various mechanics thematically come together and intertwine really well.

Like the board looks like a nightmare but it really does feel like a car factory:

There's a reprint coming out soon, with like a new pace car I think? Although Vital has said the publisher only has rights for another year which means we may get an Ian O'Toole (the guy who did the art on Gallerist, Lisboa, etc) edition at some point or another.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 29, 2018

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think the best starter COIN is Colonial Twilight

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Tekopo posted:

They really made 2 player COIN work eh? Haven't played it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Tekopo posted:

T-Bone posted:

It's not particularly complex. I think Cuba Libre is absolutely the game you want to start with, but that Falling Sky could potentially work as a first COIN, or certainly one to jump to after Cuba Libre if the period interests you.

Thanks. This makes me happy because I've got CT sitting there just waiting for some attention but I have to sit down and play the drat thing.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Bottom Liner posted:

Unfortunately my ratings aren't accounted for with this method which would have directly effected a lot of games near the top (Tash-Kalar, Mage Knight, Kemet, and Keyflower would all move up).

You could always create a dummy ratings account and Geek Buddy yourself :)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

T-Bone posted:

They really made 2 player COIN work eh? Haven't played it.

I played it for the first time quite recently and posted a lovely AAR in one of the threads. short version - it's good, and it gets better the longer you stare at it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

I'm surprised enough people have played Napoleon's Triumph, even within a small list of this thread's members, to register it a top ten ranking.

The few people who have played it all agree it's a 10/10.

e: Hell, the few people on BGG who rate NT less than a 7 basically admit the game is good but they like their wargames to be more simulation and less abstract with historic orders of battle and unit flags. Truly grognards.

Pierzak posted:

It's hard for me to describe the appeal of FCM as anything but the ideal form of an economic player driven board game. It's a tableau/deck builder hybrid where you reform your hand each round to manipulate the board ultimately trying to outsell your opponents and corner the market. It's utterly brutal and captures the spirit of cutthroat capitalism. Strategically you need to predict your opponents path forward and think three moves ahead but they're doing the same with you which results in interesting scenarios where someone does a complete 180 from the path you predicted, but ultimately it's a smart play on your opponent's behalf because you have to adjust your own strategy to capitalize on theirs.

Like all of Splotter's titles, at least the ones I've played, there's no Euro style catch up mechanisms or safe zones. You either make money or you don't, and if you fall behind your opponents there's no chance of catching up. This makes it daunting to new players and there's definitely two dominant strategies but the board state influences the game so much that the dominant strategies are really just "open with one of these two moves 90% of the time." You're on your own the rest of the game.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 29, 2018

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

If everyone with a BGG account (and game ratings) would either post their profile or add mine I’d like to use the buddy rank system to form an SA top 100. We could also sort it by all of the typical attributes: genre, mechanics, player count, designer, etc. This would also require that everyone generally follow the actual meaning of the numbers by BGG descriptions otherwise the ratings are skewed or meaningless.

So update your ratings and post your link or add me below if you’d like to take part

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/defeldus

I need to update my ratings, but I still stand by most of them:

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/Squid%20In%20Squid%20Ink

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

If everyone with a BGG account (and game ratings) would either post their profile or add mine I’d like to use the buddy rank system to form an SA top 100. We could also sort it by all of the typical attributes: genre, mechanics, player count, designer, etc. This would also require that everyone generally follow the actual meaning of the numbers by BGG descriptions otherwise the ratings are skewed or meaningless.

So update your ratings and post your link or add me below if you’d like to take part

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/defeldus

Done. And while we're sharing...

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/Sleekly

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Went to Kublacon's Board Game auction and I really shouldn't have, I spent $100 and got BattleStar Galactica, Zombicide S1-3 for the mini's and tiles, Stronghold, and I'm feeling pretty good with myself.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

What exactly happened with Factory Funner and why the hell is it so hard to find a copy of the game

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

What exactly happened with Factory Funner and why the hell is it so hard to find a copy of the game

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cwali/factory-funnerandbigger-and-habitats-3rd-edition/posts/2194965

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I still haven't played funner but love factory fun.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Do I really need to do a bank transfer in tyool 2018

I mean I get it for 18XX where someone made the game in their shed with a laminator but really !!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When I did my quick BGG ratings a bit ago I tried as much as possible to stick with their rating descriptions. A game that I enjoy but which I'd only play if I was in the right mood gets a 6. A game which I'd never choose but which I'd not throw a fuss about playing gets a 5. I was quite surprised to find that the my two favourites - the two games which I'm always 100% of the time happy to play with a suitable group - are Puerto Rico and Dominant Species.

:shrug:

:colbert:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

FulsomFrank posted:

Where does Falling Sky sit on the COIN complexity/fun chart?

Just to throw in another opinion, I think Falling Sky is (so far) the best balance of complexity and fun in the entire COIN series. The reduced, linear action space of Cuba Libre makes it the most recommended point of entry, but that also makes it less compelling in the long run.

Tekopo posted:

There are 2 points against it as "the best starter":

1. As good as the 2-player system may be, it doesn't make sense to start there when the heart of the COIN system is asymmetrical 4-player.
2. Bizarrely, they only included a bot for one side, making this the least solo-friendly COIN game of them all.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

I still haven't played funner but love factory fun.

I want to play funner but at the KS+shipping price I'd rather stick to TGZ. It looks cool, like TGZ+galaxy trucker mashed together.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

T-Bone posted:

Kanban is my favorite Lacerda. It's a big sprawling mess like all of his games but the various mechanics thematically come together and intertwine really well.

Like the board looks like a nightmare but it really does feel like a car factory:

There's a reprint coming out soon, with like a new pace car I think? Although Vital has said the publisher only has rights for another year which means we may get an Ian O'Toole (the guy who did the art on Gallerist, Lisboa, etc) edition at some point or another.

The guy who owns Kanban in our group once brought that out, and scared everyone away from playing it with just the board. I've played Lacerda games since then and wouldn't mind giving it a try now, but still.

Kanban reprint is pencilled in for 2020. This year is delivery on CO2: Second Chance and KS for Escape Plan, next year is On Mars and possibly Weather Machine.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

CaptainRightful posted:

Just to throw in another opinion, I think Falling Sky is (so far) the best balance of complexity and fun in the entire COIN series. The reduced, linear action space of Cuba Libre makes it the most recommended point of entry, but that also makes it less compelling in the long run.

There are 2 points against it as "the best starter":

1. As good as the 2-player system may be, it doesn't make sense to start there when the heart of the COIN system is asymmetrical 4-player.
2. Bizarrely, they only included a bot for one side, making this the least solo-friendly COIN game of them all.

I've thought about how to do a France bot for CT, and it seems like it'd be very difficult to do a compact and competent opponent. Counterinsurgent bots are already pretty weak in the series and there's no other insurgent faction to make up the slack.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Ok I figured out a way to make all this data searchable for everyone else. I took the top 150 games (I'll add more later) with > 8 ratings (5% of the sample size) from my geek buddylist ratings and made a new BGG account with those games and their accompanying ratings. You can then go to advanced search on BGG and plugin the account name (SAGoons) and then sort by whatever metric you want (mechanics, designer, player count, etc). I listed base games by their highest position via expansions or deluxe boxes and removed the rest (so Dominion is ranked by the highest and the rest are omitted for brevity). It's not perfect but it's the best I can do without getting into github jankery.

The practical use of this is to give better recommendations when people ask for specific games or general questions or just wonder about the threads' thoughts on a specific game. And as we already saw with the earlier results, we're pretty much all in agreement that this is a better sampling of quality games than BGG at large.

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/SAGoons

Top 150 by Goon rank

https://boardgamegeek.com/collectio...btype=boardgame

Graphic of the top 50

Advanced search for weight, player count, age, mechanics, etc:

Hope this is interesting or helpful, because I'm not going back on BGG for a long time :v:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Hope this is interesting or helpful, because I'm not going back on BGG for a long time :v:

I don't know who my previous favorite poster was, but you are my new favorite. This is ingenious and incredibly useful.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Bottom Liner posted:

Ok I figured out a way to make all this data searchable for everyone else. I took the top 150 games (I'll add more later) with > 8 ratings (5% of the sample size) from my geek buddylist ratings and made a new BGG account with those games and their accompanying ratings. You can then go to advanced search on BGG and plugin the account name (SAGoons) and then sort by whatever metric you want (mechanics, designer, player count, etc). I listed base games by their highest position via expansions or deluxe boxes and removed the rest (so Dominion is ranked by the highest and the rest are omitted for brevity). It's not perfect but it's the best I can do without getting into github jankery.

The practical use of this is to give better recommendations when people ask for specific games or general questions or just wonder about the threads' thoughts on a specific game. And as we already saw with the earlier results, we're pretty much all in agreement that this is a better sampling of quality games than BGG at large.

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/SAGoons

Top 150 by Goon rank

https://boardgamegeek.com/collectio...btype=boardgame

Graphic of the top 50

Advanced search for weight, player count, age, mechanics, etc:

This is rad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just hurriedly updated my ratings.

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/jaybeethree

It should take Dominion down a couple pegs :smug:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Some Numbers posted:

Ask if you can get the collection thrown in.

Judging by the amount of war games there, would you really want to take on the items responsible for the previous owner's divorce?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So is antiquity not up there because you guys don't like it or that it's so old since the original print run that you haven't played it enough to give it a rating yet?

nvm I was looking at the wrong thing. It should be higher :mad:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 30, 2018

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

After listening to the latest SVWAG podcast, the guild should throw away the numerical rating system and instead use a pie system.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

After listening to the latest SVWAG podcast, the guild should throw away the numerical rating system and instead use a pie system.

Pie is for the bads, we would clearly use cake.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Does that SAGoons account update when people in the group change their ratings?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Based on recent experience, I would like to posit that winning at Coup without ever looking at your cards is one of the best feelings in board games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Does that SAGoons account update when people in the group change their ratings?

Lol I wish. I have to run a query on my personal account then update the items one at a time by typing in the score on the goon account. I’ll do it every so often but there’s no real time way to do it without creating our own database and code like /r/boardgames has.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Based on recent experience, I would like to posit that winning at Coup without ever looking at your cards is one of the best feelings in board games.

That's brilliant

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 30, 2018

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Lord of Hats posted:

I was pretty sure this was one of the best strategies for that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I just updated my ratings a little bit:

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/talas