Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Shanghaied posted:

This looks sweet as hell, I love sleeping close to bodies of water. But I gotta ask, how mosquito-y does it get? The water looks pretty still and stagnant, and there's tree cover, so I'm thinking you're gonna need some industrial strength insect repellent, no?

100% deet and don't leave any exposed skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lovely picture doesn’t do it justice. Pecan Lodge BBQ in Dallas.

World class BBQ is worth a wait but this place has an express line if you buy 5lb or more that lets you skip the hour+ individual line. Franklins still better but this was drat good.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

World class BBQ is worth a wait but this place has an express line if you buy 5lb or more that lets you skip the hour+ individual line. Franklins still better but this was drat good.

If you get over to Fort Worth, checkout Heim BBQ.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Looks so f good, but an HOUR+ wait, that's insane.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I thought that by now everyone had heard of the line at

Why yes, that line is wrapped around the block, and 3+ hours for lunch is not that unusual these days. I love it and live just 1.5 miles away but still haven't gone in more than a year. You should still do it once if you like bbq at all. After that, get 90% of the flavour for 10% of the wait at Micklethwait's.

This has been your Austin bbq derail.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
As a South Carolinian that visited Austin for the first time last year, Texas brisket was good but doesn't hold a candle to whole hog BBQ

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Trabant posted:

I thought that by now everyone had heard of the line at

Why yes, that line is wrapped around the block, and 3+ hours for lunch is not that unusual these days. I love it and live just 1.5 miles away but still haven't gone in more than a year. You should still do it once if you like bbq at all. After that, get 90% of the flavour for 10% of the wait at Micklethwait's.

This has been your Austin bbq derail.

To continue the derail, I know Frankin's is supposed to be amazing, but I have a hard time believing anything would live up to that much hype.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It does. I am the guy who goes to another restaurant if the quoted wait is more than 15 minutes, and I was only willing to do the Franklin trip since it was what my wife wanted for her birthday, but.. Franklin moist brisket is still without a doubt the best food I have ever eaten. I have since done the wait 5 more times.

Bring friends, camp chairs, portable shade, and a cooler full of beer. Turn it into an excuse to start drinking with your buddies at 7am. poo poo, even the one time I went on my own and got a giant order to take to friends, it was still worth it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Live in houston, might give it a go next time I'm up in D-town. But I'll get the 5 pound deal, I'm not waiting 3 hours for food even it it comes with head or whatever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's some dope rear end BBQ here in New Orleans and I have never once waited an hour to eat it either

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The best BBQ in the world is in Kansas City and the longest you should wait for any of it is 30 minutes.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Cross posting from Backyard Chicken Keeping thread:

Found a nice pet cushion at a supermarket today and thought it would be perfect for my hens.

Queen Pip the Glorious has decreed it is indeed a good cushion.

I only realised it has crowns on it after I bought it home.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

You should check out Cattleack. Everything but their sausage is better than pecan lodges which was a surprise to me. Their beef rib and brisket is divine.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The best BBQ in the world is in Kansas City and the longest you should wait for any of it is 30 minutes.

I really like Gates and Joe's when we visited there.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PseNrUeSmXk

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

Wanna eat that hog

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

spookygonk posted:

Cross posting from Backyard Chicken Keeping thread:

Found a nice pet cushion at a supermarket today and thought it would be perfect for my hens.

Queen Pip the Glorious has decreed it is indeed a good cushion.

I only realised it has crowns on it after I bought it home.

Brave to sandwich this in between all the BBQ posts. That's both a cute and simultaneously delicious looking chicken.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm not going to say that Texas smoked BBQ is the best as each region brings a delicious flavor to the table. Pulled pork is divine

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Look at this incredibly wrong and bad opinion

I'm not going to say that Texas smoked BBQ is the best as each region brings a delicious flavor to the table. Pulled pork is divine
:discourse:
I’m from Memphis, so Memphis bbq is my choice, but all bbq is beautiful

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I went to a place called central barbecue in, I’m going to say it was Memphis, really good poo poo. Waited 10 minutes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I still have the plastic cup that I got there in my car. It has a pig on it, the pig look excited. I keep that cup in my car because that’s cup that I piss in if I get stuck in traffic

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

OniPanda posted:

Look at this incredibly wrong and bad opinion

:discourse:
I’m from Memphis, so Memphis bbq is my choice, but all bbq is beautiful

Except Kansas City BBQ, which is hands down the worst BBQ flavor, of any region. I think I can speak for all humanity when I say that sauce is just rancid.

I need to get back to Austin and San Antonio for some good eats though. Between the riverwalk, Torchis/food truck trailer park, the Czech Stop between Dallas and Austin, and sixth street, there's enough justification for a trip in and of itself. Hell, even Rudy's, the BBQ at the gas station, was freaking great down there.

Gotta say though, the best BBQ is Backyard BBQ Pit in Raleigh-Durham. I swear it's just some guy who converted his house to a dingy dining area, but it's drat good.

E: Smiley's BBQ in West Virginia also deserves an honorable mention, just because it's drat good, which is surprising given how rural it is

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 03:45 on May 30, 2018

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Pick posted:

I still have the plastic cup that I got there in my car. It has a pig on it, the pig look excited. I keep that cup in my car because that’s cup that I piss in if I get stuck in traffic

This is what a real time stroke looks like in text form

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I prefer Bay Area BBQ. 24 hour smoked tofu and grilled soyrizo with vegan mayo aioli.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I prefer Bay Area BBQ. 24 hour smoked tofu and grilled soyrizo with vegan mayo aioli.

Apparently you gotta go to Minneapolis for that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGwE4hnk9rI

:randno:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

Apparently you gotta go to Minneapolis for that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGwE4hnk9rI

:randno:

I wonder how many nose and ear plugs they find behind the furniture and under shelves every week

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

TraderStav posted:

Brave to sandwich this in between all the BBQ posts. That's both a cute and simultaneously delicious looking chicken.

Considering Pip is a rescued ex-battery farm hen, seven years free
and now spoiled pet in full retirement, I think there are better options for your BBQ out there.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Tick-borne encephalitis vaccine shot.

Not fun, but more fun than tick-borne encephalitis.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hell, even Rudy's, the BBQ at the gas station, was freaking great down there.

Gotta say though, the best BBQ is Backyard BBQ Pit in Raleigh-Durham. I swear it's just some guy who converted his house to a dingy dining area, but it's drat good.

I had an uphill battle tryin to explain to my friends in Michigan that the best food you can get down south is usually at a gas station or something equally sketch. Best bbq I got up there was Ron’s roadside bbq outside of Ann Arbor. It’s a shack a bit out of the way, looks sketchy as gently caress, so you know it’s real good.

For Memphis, I loved Pig N Whistle growin up, wonder if they’re still open. Really good pulled pork, better than Corky’s.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

OniPanda posted:

I had an uphill battle tryin to explain to my friends in Michigan that the best food you can get down south is usually at a gas station or something equally sketch. Best bbq I got up there was Ron’s roadside bbq outside of Ann Arbor. It’s a shack a bit out of the way, looks sketchy as gently caress, so you know it’s real good.

For Memphis, I loved Pig N Whistle growin up, wonder if they’re still open. Really good pulled pork, better than Corky’s.

drat, I've gone by that place a thousand times and live 5 minutes from there. I may have to finally go and check it out. It looks like they sell chicken feed and old tractor wheels.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A membership to the local hackerspace so I can make some sawdust :toot:

Bottom Liner posted:

As a South Carolinian that visited Austin for the first time last year, Texas brisket was good but doesn't hold a candle to whole hog BBQ

They're such different styles that I don't really compare the two, but I absolutely agree that the general lack of good pork bbq in Texas is a travesty. It's not impossible to find, but it certainly feels like it.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Yesterday I bought annual dog maintenance, and, because Ryobi days, got that six pack of 18v tools.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Time for my annual week and a half in Indianapolis

Got 4 days to kill between the two though, so I'd appreciate recommendations for other things to do in that boring rear end state.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Trabant posted:

A membership to the local hackerspace so I can make some sawdust :toot:

They're such different styles that I don't really compare the two, but I absolutely agree that the general lack of good pork bbq in Texas is a travesty. It's not impossible to find, but it certainly feels like it.

Thanks for the hackerspace reminder. I am going to go to an open house at Dallas Makerspace tomorrow night, might become a member.

Also Real Texans go hunt the boar and smoke it their self :clint:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

JEEVES420 posted:

Also Real Texans go hunt the boar and smoke it their self :clint:

Smoking a boar will get you high on the hog.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Bottom Liner posted:

Got 4 days to kill between the two though, so I'd appreciate recommendations for other things to do in that boring rear end state.

Eat real Steak N Shake every day while I live vicariously through you.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Smoking a boar will get you high on the hog.

I try and keep boar out of the grow but poo poo happens.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Night Danger Moose posted:

Eat real Steak N Shake every day while I live vicariously through you.

No I prefer not to dine in literal sewage.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Bottom Liner posted:

Do everyone in that hell state a favor and just drive around filling potholes in your downtime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Make a thread so some of us and live vicariously. I wish I knew how to get high quality DCI recordings. Have never managed to sign up and watch the web streams.