Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I know someone who, due to a religious requirement, had to track down her absent drunk of a father whom she had not seen in over a decade and request his permission to marry. If she had made a good faith effort to find him and been unable to, that would have been OK, but it was not enough just not to have seen him in 15 years. Luckily she still knew some of his relatives who could locate him, and he knew he had no business stopping her from marrying and gave his consent.

Tradition can really complicate things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
Is the asking the father for blessing still a common thing btw? My girlfriend wants me to do it, and it's fine because her dad is a nice, normal guy (he owns a phone and everything) who likes me and will say yes, but I'm a little surprised she asked.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Doggles posted:

I'm [26M] proposing to her [27F] and I need to ask her father for blessing

Her dad is in prison right

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
For whatever stupid reason she did ask him to do it. Huge problem as if he doesn’t, she might hold it against him but if he does it’s a lever for shithead dad to work him for money or something. His best option is probably just tell the gf no and explain why, but he won’t. Lying and saying he asked but the dad was high/drunk/lost in whatever his vice of choice is might work too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you track him down, make sure you finish the job.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Doggles posted:

If she's too stupid to discount her piece of poo poo father's demands she's too stupid to propose to. Find someone less stupid.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

girl pants posted:

Oh poo poo yeah it's gotta be this

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

If she's too stupid to discount her piece of poo poo father's demands she's too stupid to propose to. Find someone less stupid.

What does it hurt to go through the motions, though?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

girl pants posted:

I assume every crappy dad story is about frank gallagher from shameless if the story doesn’t include details. Makes it more fun

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Scathach posted:

Honestly if grade school on up had a portion of class each day on social poo poo-- like how to date and not rape/stalk partners, recognizing abuse and lovely partners, actual legitimate sex ed, raising kids without beating them, etc.-- that would be great.

I was watching TCM and they were running a lot of old b&w etiquette videos from like, the 40s or 50s.

If you went on a first date with a girl, no matter how well it went, if you go in for anything more than a respectful handshake at the end of the night you were a goddamn monster.

They should definitely have ed about abuse or being controlling, though that could be a slippery slope between a child realizing a family member is abusive for screaming at them for an hour and refusing to feed them dinner because they spilled a glass of juice vs ‘my parents won’t let me use my phone at the table. That’s abuse!’

Barudak
May 7, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

What does it hurt to go through the motions, though?

Because the request is laughably stupid on its face and paints a bad picture of the road to come.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

value-brand cereal posted:

I'm [26F] pregnant for the first time with husband's [36M] baby. His daughter [7F] from his first marriage is ruining my life.Personal issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/2cg1kl/im_26f_pregnant_for_the_first_time_with_husbands/

UPDATE 1: https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/2cio4x/update_im_26f_pregnant_for_the_first_time_with/

UPDATE 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/2d4cyr/final_update_im_26f_pregnant_for_the_first_time/

I feel bad for the 7 yo kid. You got poo poo parents all around.

There's not nearly enough focus on her husband being a terrible parent in this.

Like no matter the shittiness of the kid, it could be dealt with if not overcome by a united front of strong parenting.

Add in the wet noodle permissive bullshit on dad's part and FLUSH, nothing is gonna ever happened. He's the big huge problem in all this in terms of progress.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Because the request is laughably stupid on its face and paints a bad picture of the road to come.

We're already talking about marriage tho

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I told my fiancee's father I was going to propose to her without framing it as a question for plausible deniability. If he wanted to, he could feel like I asked for her hand, but I just wanted to give him a heads up beforehand.

It also resulted in him sending me a video of him calling me his son, pausing a moment to play Celine Dion's "Power of Love" in the background and telling me to go for it, so I feel like it was the right call.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Barudak posted:

Yeah, to me it would be close to a deal breaker because it would indicate to me this person has really lovely boundaries, has self-worth issues/lack of a backbone, values her deadbeat dad's wishes over her future husband's and so on.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I gave my in-laws a heads up, too, but mostly because I was excited to show off the ring I designed.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Doggles posted:

My father-in-law thought I would ask for his blessing despite him being a deadbeat piece of poo poo. At my wedding, he shook my hand and said something to the effect of "She's my baby, so you take care of her or-" but I was both irritated and amused so I just interrupted him by talking to someone else and he looked down and walked off.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

He should just lie and say the dad told him no in order to wipe his hands of this idiotic mess as quickly as possible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

I was watching TCM and they were running a lot of old b&w etiquette videos from like, the 40s or 50s.

If you went on a first date with a girl, no matter how well it went, if you go in for anything more than a respectful handshake at the end of the night you were a goddamn monster.

They should definitely have ed about abuse or being controlling, though that could be a slippery slope between a child realizing a family member is abusive for screaming at them for an hour and refusing to feed them dinner because they spilled a glass of juice vs ‘my parents won’t let me use my phone at the table. That’s abuse!’

The bigger issue is upsetting actually abusive parents.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, to me it would be close to a deal breaker because it would indicate to me this person has really lovely boundaries, has self-worth issues/lack of a backbone, values her deadbeat dad's wishes over her future husband's and so on.

At the very least he needs to have a serious conversation with her about her dad and his role in their lives. She's seen him 4 times in 13 years and she wants this guy to act like she's daddy's little girl and get permission? Why?

The whole no phone, only letters thing is bizarre as gently caress too, who the gently caress doesn't at least have a land line?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

In the six months or so before my wife and I got engaged all four of our parents, independently of each other, asked us when we were just gonna get around to it, which is implicit consent, so this didn't come up

buuuut yeah I def wouldn't have asked her dad's permission if left to my own devices lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ouhei posted:

The whole no phone, only letters thing is bizarre as gently caress too, who the gently caress doesn't at least have a land line?

People in prison do this.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

If you want to marry a girl you just defeat her father in combat first

This is simply the way of Cimmeria

Before you ask, you need to defeat the girl in combat to even start dating her

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

She's afraid that if her dad isn't okay with it, he'll kill her husband when he gets out of prison.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

She's afraid that if her dad isn't okay with it, he'll kill her husband when he gets out of prison.

See above post

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pretend you misunderstood and marry her dad

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

andrew smash posted:

I assume every crappy dad story is about frank gallagher from shameless if the story doesn’t include details. Makes it more fun

Welp, definitely doing this. Thanks in advance for the lols.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

Is the asking the father for blessing still a common thing btw? My girlfriend wants me to do it, and it's fine because her dad is a nice, normal guy (he owns a phone and everything) who likes me and will say yes, but I'm a little surprised she asked.

Yeah, but I think how big of a deal it is varies from person to person. Obviously it has its roots in a patriarchal notion of a father transferring ownership of his daughter to the husband-to-be, but I think it persists because as wrapped up as it is in all of that baggage, there is still something to the idea that you are going to be asking to join this family, and presumably will continue to see them that you want them to be at least at peace with that if not necessarily enthusiastic.

Locked myself in the restroom after having sex with my boyfriend

quote:

I (22F) been dating this guy (25M) for about 9 months. We’ve been long distance for more than half our relationship. He finally got the chance to visit me this month. Before he arrived he had been pushing for marriage. His plan was to marry me as soon as he got here. I called it off because it felt so rushed and I honestly did not see myself married. However, I did look forward to seeing him and getting to spend time with him.

He’s staying at my place. However, things haven’t been so great. We argue more than I thought we were going to argue. The first night together the sex was very awkward. I couldn’t get into it. I really like him, so I forced myself to get in the mood.

The second time we had sex was even worse. I’m his first real girlfriend and he’s quite inexperienced. We’ve had enough sex before to the point where I tried to teach him new things and I’ve told him what I like and don’t like so there’s no excuse for sex to be this awkward. I know I am focusing too much on the sex.. This isn’t just about the sex...

Throughout the day he tries to hold my hand and cuddle me, but he does it in such a creepy way that it automatically turns me off. I don’t have a problem with being affectionate, in fact I am a very physical person. I just can’t seem to bring myself to display any affection towards him. I’ve tried. He’s a great guy. He is attractive.

I have such a high sex drive. Anything turns me on except having sex with him. I’ve started making excuses just so I can go to bed early. The past few days I’ve even faked headaches and stomach problems just so I can lock myself in my room and watch Netflix in peace.

The last time we had sex I decided to be assertive and I was the one that went to him. I had dismissed his advances earlier. He started kissing me, but his kisses tasted like nothing and I wanted it to end before it began. He asked me for oral, I didn’t say no because I felt bad that he ate me out , but while I was doing it I felt tears running down my face and I fixated my eyes on a lamp and tried to forget what was going on. After that he grabbed a condom and penetrated me. I closed my eyes and wished he would cum faster than he usually does. I felt nauseous as he told me he was going to cum. I grabbed my clothes, wanting to throw up. I went to the restroom. I couldn’t stop the tears. Feeling so disgusted and gross.

tl;dr; I feel disgusted after having sex with my boyfriend. I don’t know what to do , I don’t know how to break up with him or if I want to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Did you know that we put a human on the moon doing massive swathes of the math by hand and using computers no more powerful than a cheap calculator? Now ponder, is your question truly harder than putting a human on the moon?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Theophany posted:

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity etc.

To be fair, he was infuriatingly ignorant and stupid and life is too short to date an idiot.

Doggles posted:

This is the spineless woman's way of saying no to a proposal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, but I think how big of a deal it is varies from person to person. Obviously it has its roots in a patriarchal notion of a father transferring ownership of his daughter to the husband-to-be, but I think it persists because as wrapped up as it is in all of that baggage, there is still something to the idea that you are going to be asking to join this family, and presumably will continue to see them that you want them to be at least at peace with that if not necessarily enthusiastic.

It would be unfair to break up with someone over a total lack of sexual chemistry, she legally needs to stick with this guy and get couples counselling for at least a year before she can break up.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You need to give at least 30 days notice before you can legally evict someone from your vagina.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

My guess is his attempts at affection feel forced and overbearing since he was also pushing for marriage.

He's probably the type that just stares at her blankly during sex trying for romantic eye contact.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

You know if I argue with someone the first time I meet them I'm kicking them out of my house.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This is why long-term long-distance relationships between couples that have literally never met each other are a really bad idea. Seeing each other at all is a huge investment which makes everything feel super forced, and they're already invested in the relationship by the time she has an opportunity to find out she is repulsed by his attempts to even hold her hand

Gotta wonder how much money this guy spent to find out the girl he calls his girlfriend actually can't stand touching him; unfortunately the amount of traumatically bad sex she felt obligated to have with him because they'd already been cybering for nine months is a very known quantity

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

You need to give at least 30 days notice before you can legally evict someone from your vagina.

I'm not sure he has established residency. He sounds like a guest in the vagina, not a tenant.

Edit: If she waits 30 days to kick him out it will be a lot harder to remove him. The last thing she needs is a recalcitrant pussy squatter.

therobit fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 29, 2018

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
India dad actually posted an update.

quote:

I had a talk with her. She felt that she was not valued enough in the family. I reminded her that we love her as much as the other two. And the money division was something which was agreed on. She said she felt it was unfair now as her sister. She said she was okey with it last year but she is not okey about it now. I hugged her for a moment and she started crying again. It got me emotional as well.

I guess, I was a little bit unfair and clouded in my judgement. I talked with my younger daughter about this and suggested splitting the money more equally. My younger daughter is fine with it and happy to share with her sister. They both have also equal fees.

I will take out 1/2 of younger daughter's fund and invest it in some short term bonds which will mature in 3 years while the other half will remain in my younger daughter's college account for the moment. Out of the half invested , I will give my older daughter a half on the base amount. That makes her share of 40 + 25 = 65%. The younger will receive around 75%. Since my older daughter has completed a year, she will be fine with the 10% difference. I hope the investments pay out around 11 to 12% on the base amount which is 6% of the total. This will go to emergency fund for the two girls (and the son if he needs it).

I am thinking about giving the interest on my retirement fund to my 3 kids equally when they reach the final two years of their studies. So, my son and older daughter will get some money in 2020 and 2021 when they both graduate. While my younger will get a similar amount depending on returns in 2021 and 2022.

And my older daughter is staying another week with us. We were missing her a lot. My wife's really happy. I am going out with my daughters for a couple of days on a road trip to the beach this weekend.(I am not driving). I guess we all needed a break. The wife will follow us there on Monday by flight. And we plan to return by Wednesday to our home.

Edit 2 : Forgot to mention. Both of them will pay 100k with interest back to their brother as ideally the money should have been split 3 ways. I intend to make all these changes legally binding.

It's real weird about this legally binding poo poo and a lot of math, but at least he worked it out.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dienes posted:

To be fair, he was infuriatingly ignorant and stupid and life is too short to date an idiot.

I agree, but she did the dipshit move of giving him a timeline to rectify the fact that he is a useless moron and, as we are all in agreement, is never going to happen when you're 29 years old so I guess the next trope is 'sow the wind and you shall reap the whirlwind.'

So I feel like my original assessment is still accurate and she is as much, if not more, of a moron. :shrug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
“Pussy squatter” good phrase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

value-brand cereal posted:

I'm [26F] pregnant for the first time with husband's [36M] baby. His daughter [7F] from his first marriage is ruining my life.Personal issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/2cg1kl/im_26f_pregnant_for_the_first_time_with_husbands/

UPDATE 1: https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/2cio4x/update_im_26f_pregnant_for_the_first_time_with/

UPDATE 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/2d4cyr/final_update_im_26f_pregnant_for_the_first_time/

I feel bad for the 7 yo kid. You got poo poo parents all around.

Imagine getting run out of your house by a 7 year old because you and your husband are doormats who refuse to discipline your child.