Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Arist posted:

First new episode of Arrested Development is too preoccupied with playing catch-up to be all that great. Hope the rest improves.

I mean, this was every episode of the remix season so my expectations are very low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

The talent agency that represents Roseanne has also dropped her.

Really amazing how quickly she completely blew this comeback.

What blows my mind is that she doesn't seem to have ever tried to dial back the crazy at all, it just too ABC and her agent this long to realize she's a bonkers rear end in a top hat.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sinteres posted:

I would laugh my rear end off if they all die in the end and we get post-death narration over a montage of all the people who died over the course of the show's run, and the last line is "it turns out we were all the Walking Dead."
Didn't a character already say that line earlier in the series? I feel like I remember it from one of the first few seasons, back when I was actually still watching it haha

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They played that card back at the end of S2 or 3 when they revealed that everyone was "infected" and would turn no matter how they died. But I can't remember if they used the line.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
“Don’t you get it, <name>, WE'RE the Walking Dead ™” was a line they played over promos constantly

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TITULAR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kCxN6o4ymA

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

her (recent) "ape" tweet was this morning wasn't it? That escalated very quickly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its been nine years and a spinoff. I don't remember commercials pre Negan. I can't even remember the name of the girl they spent a season screaming the name of, and I read the comics.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

They played that card back at the end of S2 or 3 when they revealed that everyone was "infected" and would turn no matter how they died. But I can't remember if they used the line.

The equivalent issue of the comic uses the line. But that was very early on in its run.

Long as the TV show has been on, the comic started in 2003.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The literal only thing I remember was an entire season occurred where literally nothing realistically happened. The main villain was still the main villain, the big battle to kill him off still hadn't happened, no big characters anybody liked died or left, and I don't even think the location/setting changed

In hindsight I'm surprised it's Only been 9 years

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Its been nine years and a spinoff. I don't remember commercials pre Negan. I can't even remember the name of the girl they spent a season screaming the name of, and I read the comics.

Sofia. I was so happy when they opened the barn door and she ran out to get shot in the face, because that plotline was dumb and boring.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually more or less like the Walking Dead.

But like... its been nine years and a spinoff. I'm good. I quit the comic before this.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Chris James 2 posted:

The literal only thing I remember was an entire season occurred where literally nothing realistically happened. The main villain was still the main villain, the big battle to kill him off still hadn't happened, no big characters anybody liked died or left, and I don't even think the location/setting changed

In hindsight I'm surprised it's Only been 9 years

That's why I never got into the show. The entire series has dull-as-gently caress pacing. I also read the comics and eventually quit. I know Kirkman was killing off the Invincible series, I wonder if he'll kill off The Walking Dead one too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, remember the pilot to The Walking Dead? Remember how good it was and how the majority of rest of the series was poo poo that never lived up to the potential of that first episode?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Man, remember the pilot to The Walking Dead? Remember how good it was and how the majority of rest of the series was poo poo that never lived up to the potential of that first episode?

First season in general was legit pretty good IIRC

Being 6 episodes probably helped a lot with that but still

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Season 3 and Season 4 were fun in their own way but they still don't even compare to Season 1. Every other season is trash.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I contend that if they did the pilot episode today people would hate it. Like, there was nothing especially different. It was really well done, but it was also the same actors doing the same heavy melodrama and making irrational choices based on their emotions. The stuff people have hated for nine years. But back then people had an idea of what The Walking Dead would be and they didn't like the depressed melodrama it always was.

But like, even if you liked that there's gotta be a limit for it. Especially with something THAT depressing and THAT melodramatic. I couldn't make it through Shameless after like 4 seasons and no one got their face eaten off or watched their child get eaten alive. How long can I watch Rick Grimes live through hell?

But at its core that's what the show always was. And the comic. "What happens after the movie ends?" There's no salvation or end, life in the zombie apocalypse just keeps going on and gets worse. It was an idea that intrigued me as a comic until it no longer did and it was an idea that intrigued me as a tv show until it no longer does.

And its really close. It helps that you can watch tv passively, and that's where I am with the Walking Dead for a few seasons now. Its just a background show now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There was that episode a few seasons in when Andrew Lincoln meets back up with Lennie James completely by accident and he's this broken shell of a person. That episode hearkened back to the pilot and it was great, but there weren't many other episodes that stood out as being really strong to me. Most of them were just boring as poo poo, especially the whole farmhouse season where literally nothing happens.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

her (recent) "ape" tweet was this morning wasn't it? That escalated very quickly.

Life comes at you fast.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Glad that Roseanne was cancelled. Hate the fact that other assholes are now trashing the “double standards” of ABC because they fired Roseanne but Joy Behar still has a job after “similar ignorant comments” comparing religion to mental illness.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

STAC Goat posted:

But at its core that's what the show always was. And the comic. "What happens after the movie ends?" There's no salvation or end, life in the zombie apocalypse just keeps going on and gets worse. It was an idea that intrigued me as a comic until it no longer did and it was an idea that intrigued me as a tv show until it no longer does.

I honestly want to see a zombie show where it's like an optimistic Day of the Dead/Fallout type thing. Some bunker comes out for some reason ~15 years after the apocalypse, to explore the new fledgling societies that developed in it's wake.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Aw yeah the chuds are crying free speech and censorship.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Stop saying chuds

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

feedmyleg posted:

Stop saying chuds

Stop being a chud.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I think another reason TWD has become just background viewing is the fact that they've gotten away from the lethality of the setting. Yes, people die, but the only time that main cast members are ever in danger anymore is during season premieres, midseason finales or season finales (and those deaths are hyped to hell and heavily foreshadowed). Early on you'd have Important Characters just die suddenly in any given episode, so you'd actually be incentivized to pay attention and watch episodes live so you could avoid spoilers.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ihatepants posted:

Glad that Roseanne was cancelled. Hate the fact that other assholes are now trashing the “double standards” of ABC because they fired Roseanne but Joy Behar still has a job after “similar ignorant comments” comparing religion to mental illness.

I'm hoping the attempt to get Bill Maher as the "left-wing" eye for an eye they're angling for works out, because man, that's like Christmas in May.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rhyno posted:

Aw yeah the chuds are crying free speech and censorship.

In fact, they’re trying to get Bill Maher pulled, which...great! By all means, please, take our trash. He’s said enough stupid poo poo that if HBO decides he was a liability that I wouldn’t cry foul. There’s all the xenophobia. There’s the time he gave Milo Yiannopolus a platform. There’s him being an anti-vaxxer. And while he may have been going for a specific point when he used the phrase “house n*****,” he was the wrong dude to make that point. Hell, even going back to the 9/11 comment that got “Politically Incorrect” cancelled...he wasn’t WRONG, but his lack of tact made him look like an insensitive assclown in that situation, which is pretty much the story of Bill Maher’s career. So if the MAGA chuds want to take his head by calling out...<checks notes> the time he compared Donald Trump to an orangutan, then they can go with God. Whoever loses, we win.

...wait, what

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1001547933827915776

...HOW DO YOU gently caress THAT UP?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Bill Maher hates the left more than Roseanne. That's why he loves Milo and Jordan Peterson.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm hoping the attempt to get Bill Maher as the "left-wing" eye for an eye they're angling for works out, because man, that's like Christmas in May.

That would loving own. That's the worst thread in this sub forum.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

edit: i have no idea on the source, a friend posted it on FB without a credit

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 29, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ahahahahahaha

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Good lord are the same writers back fo arrested development? This is awful.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Matt Zerella posted:

Good lord are the same writers back fo arrested development? This is awful.

We all asked for this but we knew deep down it was always going to be trash.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Edit: Seems fake?

Zedd fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 30, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

SirKibbles posted:

We all asked for this but we knew deep down it was always going to be trash.

Just gonna pretend season 3 is the end.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

That's a parody account, my dude.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol::lol:

Amazing.

e: whew.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

END ME SCOOB posted:

That's a parody account, my dude.
Yeah that sank in a bit late, still I wouldn't be surprised. :v:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Live by the MAGA, die by the MAGA. Even Trump didn't go full racist until he quit his tv show, and even if his worth is inflated he obviously had a lot more money to fall back on than Roseanne if the politics thing didn't work out. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I think non-megarich people are going to find it difficult to emulate his success.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Didn't a character already say that line earlier in the series? I feel like I remember it from one of the first few seasons, back when I was actually still watching it haha

I only watched like two episodes, so I didn't know, but it's funny to me that they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Reruns and Hulu library are toast now too.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/29/roseanne-reruns-yanked-from-hulu-viacom-channels/

quote:

Hulu has joined Viacom and its channels in pulling Roseanne reruns, reps with knowledge of the decisions confirmed to EW Tuesday afternoon.

Paramount Network, TV Land, and CMT will all cease to air reruns of the series, while Hulu confirms it will remove the show from its library. 

Starting tomorrow, syndicated episodes of the recently revived sitcom — which was axed by ABC earlier today after racist tweets from star/co-creator Roseanne Barr ignited a social media firestorm — will no longer run in rotation across the channels.

Laff, a digital network that specializes in reruns of popular sitcoms, has similarly yanked old episodes of the series. “While we believe viewers have always distinguished the personal behavior of the actress Roseanne Barr from the television character Roseanne Conner, we are disgusted by Barr’s comments this week,” read Laff’s official statement. “Therefore, we are removing the original Roseanne series from the Laff schedule for the time being, effective immediately.”