Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

They could probably make all the stat talk and stuff work if they wrote in the idea that some scholars at the school underwent a project to rank the capabilities of each pokemon species, and their results just happen to exactly be their game stats. And they're now teaching a new generation of trainers to raise their pokemon with a focus on their number systems etc. It would add some flavour to the area and be less jarring.

There's no excuse for "the Gen IV era", though. There's no way at all to pass that off as something meaningful in-universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

FoolyCharged posted:

I think there's a bit of pink 1 to the right of the leftmost column on the row covered by the double pipes?

E: no matter where it is its a dumb pixel hunt the game doesn't tell you about

The guy does say one pokemon escaped, so it's not completely arbitrary. But there's the Spoink in the other warehouse that hides when someone sees it.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Could be interesting if the school members you face had technically powerful pokemon (high BST), but their movepool/team synergy sucked because they didn't know how to use the information (like me!).

Of course then it might not be challenging enough or something.

Actually I could see them doing that, but that would imply they're creative/smart enough to put something like that in. It would make for a neat late game "puzzle", though with them not sure how they'd want you to "solve" it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

At least the real pokemon games break the fourth wall competently. I dread to think what Reborn's version of the Game Freak office is like.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

That one's probably a joke

Not even a little bit.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

... I can still get the hidden items in those rocks right?

You can get anything your heart desires if you are willing to wade through enough trash.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Azza Bamboo posted:

You can get anything your heart desires if you are willing to wade through enough trash.

woah. deep.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

McDragon posted:

At least the real pokemon games break the fourth wall competently. I dread to think what Reborn's version of the Game Freak office is like.

We've already seen the answer to that: it's the main NPC characters.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Yeah, the reason why Julia has "fans" is because she's someone's lolrandom super nice and super bubbly online Electronic Role Playing Character.

Yes, I know that's not what the "E" stands for. I just don't want to think about it too hard.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The E stands for Ew.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

PMush Perfect posted:

The E stands for EXPLOSIONSyayboomboom.

Fixed :colbert:
Julia truly makes everything worse :negative:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

XavierGenisi posted:

Man, the Link Stone is actually a genuinely good idea, especially for a pokemon fangame. I'm surprised it actually had something genuinely well thought out like that, considering all the other dumb rear end design decisions it has.

What does the Link Stone do? I missed it if OFS mentioned it.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Silver Falcon posted:

What does the Link Stone do? I missed it if OFS mentioned it.

Presumable it evolves pokemon that you'd normally have to trade to evolve?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

That one's probably a joke

Griffin McElroy has done a Y nuzlocke run for Polygon where he did the wonder trade rule and the no healing consumables rule. Fun watch.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Julia truly makes everything worse :negative:

I think we all know in our hearts that Julia won't be the worst character in this game by a long shot.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Eldataluta posted:

Not even a little bit.

Okay. This needs to stop. If you want to play a harder Pokemon, just play Shin Megami Tensei. Eventually we're going to hit something like the FF7 LLIEAEPALBCMONMH "Challenge Run", which stands for Low Level, Initial Equipment, No Accessories, No Escaping, No Physical Attacks, No Limit Breaks, Command Materia Only, No Non-Mandatory Heals. It is too much!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

RyuHimora posted:

Okay. This needs to stop. If you want to play a harder Pokemon, just play Shin Megami Tensei. Eventually we're going to hit something like the FF7 LLIEAEPALBCMONMH "Challenge Run", which stands for Low Level, Initial Equipment, No Accessories, No Escaping, No Physical Attacks, No Limit Breaks, Command Materia Only, No Non-Mandatory Heals. It is too much!

Final Fantasy X NSGNSNCNONENNENBB. No Sphere Grid, No Summon, No Customize, No Overdrive, No Escape, No "No Encounters" and No Blitzball. The hardest part of the challenge is not questioning all the choices in your life.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

RyuHimora posted:

Some people enjoy playing games that way.

Ask OFS how his FF9 Low Level Excalibur 2 run went.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

KataraniSword posted:

Some people enjoy playing games that way.

Ask OFS how his FF9 Low Level Excalibur 2 run went.

I ran out of time in cleyra you fucker.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

My personal policy is that if a challenge run requires an acronym longer than eight letters, you may as well in 95% of cases add "NF" onto it as well.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I feel like it wouldn't even be that difficult to make a simple and competent Pokemon hack/fangame especially if you're not making up your own mons since the balancework has already been done by the official games. You could even get a simple pokemon plot too without much hassle. But all these fangames have to go up their own rear end to have some grim, dark, grimdark, edgy and/or overwrought plot and then also do dumb poo poo like Reborn is with its puzzle gimmicks and such. I guess being simple and good isn't enough these days, you need notoriety, whether it's for good or bad reasons.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

FPzero posted:

I guess being simple and good isn't enough these days

When I was attempting to pull together a team for Pokemon Essentials, I kept getting overridden on my attempts to keep the design simple because "if it's just like a main game then why aren't we playing one of them lol" My observation is that the people willing to work on a fangame are 95% of the opinion that they're done with the main games and want something different.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

FPzero posted:

I feel like it wouldn't even be that difficult to make a simple and competent Pokemon hack/fangame especially if you're not making up your own mons since the balancework has already been done by the official games. You could even get a simple pokemon plot too without much hassle. But all these fangames have to go up their own rear end to have some grim, dark, grimdark, edgy and/or overwrought plot and then also do dumb poo poo like Reborn is with its puzzle gimmicks and such. I guess being simple and good isn't enough these days, you need notoriety, whether it's for good or bad reasons.

While we are definitely seeing the bad side of the over-convoluted fan game thing, I'm not really certain I see the appeal of what you're suggesting. If you're not really doing anything to distinguish your project, then.... what's the reason for it to exist?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you want to make a more mature pokemon game then you could get a lot of mileage by copying what was done in Pokemon Black and White. Give the opposition team a legitimate point to make and have a lot of the plot resolve around trying to bring about some change or go full B/W and make the main goal dealing with those who are trying to exploit the noble intentions of others for profit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hunt11 posted:

If you want to make a more mature pokemon game then you could get a lot of mileage by copying what was done in Pokemon Black and White. Give the opposition team a legitimate point to make and have a lot of the plot resolve around trying to bring about some change or go full B/W and make the main goal dealing with those who are trying to exploit the noble intentions of others for profit.

It is really weird when someone tries to do a 'Serious' game and then inevitably the story is wrapped around goofy concepts.

Like I don't care how much Pokemon Rejuvination thinks itself a "Dark, brutal take" any game that opens up with you being sacrificed by Arceus cultists is just hilarious.

I mean I haven't even scratched the surface of terrible Pokemon Fan Games.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Keldulas posted:

While we are definitely seeing the bad side of the over-convoluted fan game thing, I'm not really certain I see the appeal of what you're suggesting. If you're not really doing anything to distinguish your project, then.... what's the reason for it to exist?

My ideas are probably just rooted in long held beliefs that I personally always want to try and create accessible fangames/romhacks that could theoretically be played by a wide audience without intimate knowledge of the game's inner workings. And sometimes that means you aren't doing anything amazingly different from the originals, but instead you're making something that's competently made and overall enjoyable. Now that doesn't mean I can't try and also include new things or original ideas in it, but those ideas shouldn't be to the detriment of the game overall. Like with Reborn for example, I actually really like the idea of a big city environment for the games to take place in, as well as having more pokemon available through events, hints, etc. I even like the idea that a gym leader can be a sort of puzzle challenge for players to figure out given the pokemon available. But Reborn goes way too far with it all, making the city a big confusing mess to navigate and the event pokemon really arbitrary, sometimes random to discover and then expecting you to find them to succeed. And then the gym leaders have so many extra rules added to their puzzles such as terrain effects and full teams of 6 with specific moves to counter you without you knowing what's coming next. It all comes down to proper balancing, playtesting, outside opinion and more.

And considering 95% of fangames/romhacks are usually of questionable quality, sometimes a game that's just a simple "X game, but more/different" is all you need and want from a fan project.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I made a bullet point list of a mature take on a pokemon game earlier.

1. Core idea: You are the underdog, the outsider, bringing normal Pokemon gameplay to a place that has forsaken it.
  2. The antagonists of the game are extreme Pokecologists (think: Poke-eco terrorists) who don't like the whole 'have them fight' aspect of Pokemon.
  3. Said antagonists are the dominant political force in the region. EG: The cops are on their side, not yours. (bonus: traffic cop judy would like to battle!)
  4. After you get your starter and Pokedex, your Poke Professor is placed under arrest.
  5. Your rival is the Poke Professor's kid who wants to expose the corruption and hypocrisy in the Pokecologist movement.
  6. Your ultimate goal is to bring the joy of Pokemon back to the region because every other form of conflict resolution is worse for everyone involved (including pokemanz.)
  7. Oh yeah, and make the Pokecoligists the source of everyone's woes EG unlocking gym and route access.
  8. throw poke president in there somewhere, it's just fun to say. maybe the leader of the pokecoligists or something. POKE PRESIDENT RENALDO JONES WANTS TO BATTLE!

I stopped after that though because I knew there was nowhere else to go but down.

FPzero posted:

Like with Reborn for example, I actually really like the idea of a big city environment for the games to take place in, as well as having more pokemon available through events, hints, etc. I even like the idea that a gym leader can be a sort of puzzle challenge for players to figure out given the pokemon available.

These are all selling points that are interesting in and of themselves yeah. Reborn unfortunately missteps around all of them.
A big city environment where you have to get your pokemon via other avenues than catching them in the wilderness (because tall grass real estate is at a premium) is interesting, but Reborn's city is too monochrome and visually cluttered.
Restricting your access to pokemon allows the Gym leaders to be more about figuring out your way around their expected lineup instead of hitting them with Super Effective moves, but Reborn is too specific in it's intended solutions. What's the point of having hundreds of Pokemon if you only need 1 or 2 to solve the puzzle?

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Onmi posted:

Pokemon: Solid Snake

I am intrigued... But I know I shouldn't be.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Keldulas posted:

To make a fun addition to the series by your own hand? Look at that 4chan project that was literally another pokemon game but with new south american themed monsters. It was literally just a fan made take on black and white(same old pokemon, fun new roster) andngot TONS of positive attention.

It turns out fans of stuff like it when you dont bastardize it unescessarily. To paraphrase a guy on sa, sometimes the best complement you can give a hack is that its just like an official game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Seriously, half of Reborn's ideas are just Pokemon Colosseum, But Bad.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

RyuHimora posted:

I am intrigued... But I know I shouldn't be.

I don't know, I think if it plants its tongue firmly in its cheek, this can be fun.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

If I ignore the description being ignorant that Raiden was the one infiltrating Galuade, I am actually sold on the screenshots.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

RyuHimora posted:

If I ignore the description being ignorant that Raiden was the one infiltrating Galuade, I am actually sold on the screenshots.

Yeah, that looks like something that is at least aware of how hosed up and goofy it has to be in order to be a Pokemon game and a Metal Gear game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, that looks like something that is at least aware of how hosed up and goofy it has to be in order to be a Pokemon game or a Metal Gear game.

Fixed

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

the problem with pokemon fan-anything is that the people who are into pokemon enough to do fan-things are near-universally either teenagers or (at best) young adults. like, i'm 'young' enough that my first pokemon game was pokemon red (because blue was for nerds) and i'm 25. it only gets younger and worse from me. the last time i was really into the 'fandom' was when i was mid-teens and that was a clique that sprung up around darkedgy fanfiction of...actually exactly the sort of variety as reborn. some of it was pretty alright, we even had our own board on 151chan.

i guess really what i'm trying to say is that pokemon is fundamentally a kids game so the sort of people who dominate the fandom are teenagers who want a not-kids thing and being teenagers they think not-for-kids means dark and edgy where people get killed and the church is evil and poo poo.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 30, 2018

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

To make a fun addition to the series by your own hand? Look at that 4chan project that was literally another pokemon game but with new south american themed monsters. It was literally just a fan made take on black and white(same old pokemon, fun new roster) andngot TONS of positive attention.

It turns out fans of stuff like it when you dont bastardize it unescessarily. To paraphrase a guy on sa, sometimes the best complement you can give a hack is that its just like an official game.

You kind of answer the question of 'why does that exist?' with your description. They're flexing their creative muscles with that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm with FP that the ultimate goal of a fan-game is to make something indistinguishable from a release product on the open market. Meaning I can imagine someone walking into the store, picking it up, taking it home with no experience with the product before and going "Ah, Yes, This is a game."

Yes, the whole loving world knows what Pokemon is and have for decades, you know what though? They still make Pokemon as if people don't.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Geomancing posted:

OFSheep pointed this out to me, and noted how bad this looked.

Now I'm not a pixel artist, but this is what I would have aimed for so the city doesn't look like it was built by Shel Silverstein.

Now do one where it's full of eyes.

Eldataluta posted:

Not even a little bit.

Jesus. Challenge runs are crazy. And I thought Dark Souls was the point where 'game so hard it destroys itself if you die' joke was first made.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Jesus. Challenge runs are crazy. And I thought Dark Souls was the point where 'game so hard it destroys itself if you die' joke was first made.
Sounds more like the last ending of Nier, and more generally Yoko Taro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I don’t know if it’s just because OFS has been glazing over the villain team’s dialogue, but... Have we even gotten any hints about WHY they’ve been doing everything we’ve seen so far?

It’d be one thing if they’re just eco terrorists attempting to be the ones to tip the already-teetering city over the brink so it has to be abandoned, but... Something tells me it’s going to be significantly more convoluted than that.