Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

werbear posted:

What's the inventory limit in 7th Dragon again? I think it's impossible to do the 100 feathers in one go even if you completely turn off your brain and just grind.
I feel even if you completely cheat that quest like Fetus did it is still not worth doing - an ok-ish accessory is not worth the money for fruits and the time to hex edit and spam A to get through the text boxes.

You have to do that quest to unlock more quests later. It's a "required" waste of time and sanity. You can tell it was made by the guy that directed EO1, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Yapping Eevee posted:

...That was quite the answer indeed. :psyduck: This game continues to be baffling, but at least it has charm.

Yeah, if the game was nothing but jank, I wouldn't be doing an LP of it. I do prefer to be enjoying the games I LP in some form. :v: (For those of you commenting on EOU story mode, I do enjoy that in a sense of laughing at its stupidity. Also the base gameplay is really solid, so there's that.) 7th Dragon does have its good points, which is why I didn't cut off the update at BIRD FEATHERS and instead left off at Santa Emille since I didn't want to focus too much on the negatives, though I won't hesitate to tear into the really stupid stuff.

Fortunately, I was serious about BIRD FEATHERS being the pinnacle (of stupidity). Other than the questionable game design decisions present throughout the entire game (i.e. the Bloom and 666 dragons) the game doesn't get nearly as stupid as BIRD FEATHERS ever again (...Okay, there's one more thing that's incredibly stupid, but it's not really intrusive and can be ignored entirely.) In fact, we are about to reach the turning point where the game really hooked me.

Ratoslov posted:

How the heck were you supposed to guess that?

If you're referring to Santa Emille, she's not really an option that you're supposed to think of, so much as she's a joke option/Easter egg. The other candidates (2 of which we haven't met yet) are a lot more obvious, and agree right away instead of needing to talk to 5 times in order to persuade them. I'll point them out when we meet them.

OgretailFood posted:

They're not THAT bad, my dagger rogue was my mvp against most of the dragons thanks to scorpio and triple kiss, hell i didn't even need the Princess Ex Skill

Oh, Dagger Rogues will get their time to shine soon enough. :getin: Though right now, they're a bit eh compared to Bow Rogues, especially if you take the time to do a certain sidequest at this point.

ZeButler posted:

Could have sworn it was, probably because the games feel so similar. My mistake!

Atlus helped out with the 4th game, Code VFD. But they had no involvement in this game.

werbear posted:

What's the inventory limit in 7th Dragon again? I think it's impossible to do the 100 feathers in one go even if you completely turn off your brain and just grind.
I feel even if you completely cheat that quest like Fetus did it is still not worth doing - an ok-ish accessory is not worth the money for fruits and the time to hex edit and spam A to get through the text boxes.

100. Unlike in EO1, key items thankfully don't count towards the limit.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 30, 2018

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I guess that makes that horrendous golden fur quest in EOU look slightly more bearable.

Or not. Irritating fetch quests should just burn into ashes.

And the NPC who gives you this quests sucks.

And Emille is indeed a great Santa. This is just downright hilarious.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dr. Fetus posted:

Atlus helped out with the 4th game, Code VFD. But they had no involvement in this game.
Well, Atlus is owned by Sega nowadays.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Well, Atlus is owned by Sega nowadays.

And SEGA is letting ATLUS do exactly whatever the hell they want to do.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I guess that makes that horrendous golden fur quest in EOU look slightly more bearable.

Or not. Irritating fetch quests should just burn into ashes.

And the NPC who gives you this quests sucks.

And Emille is indeed a great Santa. This is just downright hilarious.

At least when you get the golden fur quest you kindof need the levels to survive the ridiculous damage output of random encounters at the end of that stratum.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

McFrugal posted:

At least when you get the golden fur quest you kindof need the levels to survive the ridiculous damage output of random encounters at the end of that stratum.

That’s what you tell yourself at the start of that quest but by the halfway point you literally will not care because fighting FOEs is less tedious and you just want the pain to be over.

Now that quest has a pretty spiteful drop rate.

And our 100 feather quest is just that quest x10!

The only advantage is that the enemies of the 5th stratum aren’t outclassed by you, but still.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

cdyoung posted:

And SEGA is letting ATLUS do exactly whatever the hell they want to do.
Which is for the best. Just saying it makes sense for Atlus to help out on a Sega-published RPG.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
I was not aware of Santa Emille. That is absolutely amazing.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

The feather quest is so infamous it got a callback in VFD! Don't forget, it's even more superbad because the quest system is terrible - if you want to collect them slowly over time (good luck), you have to permanently allocate one of your three quest slots to it and not forget it's there.

Every time we bump into a typo or translation error, I have an aneurysm, but it's all worth it for Santa Emille and the other weirdo optional content in this game.

ZeButler posted:

Could have sworn it was, probably because the games feel so similar. My mistake!

It's understandable, for some reason EO/Atlus are just prone to strange cross-pollination. I always think of the weird alt-Atelier game Shigeo Komori did with Himukai and the Atelier writer between EO3 & EO4.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

EOU's not that bad.

Yeah, I'm mostly thinking of the truly legendary nonsense like Grimoires that only a really thorough LP is going to plumb.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
You know, looking at Dia's sprite, I've noticed she never, ever lets go of that bunny.

Is that where the one who isn't in control resides?

Also, Santa Emille was beautiful :allears:

gently caress the bird feather quest so hard I'm not even playing and that was painful

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Actually yeah, let's shake up the party for a bit. There are a couple of side dungeons coming up, and Ark is required for one of them. So let's hold a bit of a minor vote. Which one party member should take a break for a bit? (An actual party change will happen after the next Imperial Dragon is defeated, which is going to happen fairly soon. Also shifting back to the current party for that one.)

I regret to inform you that this vote is now null and void and we're just going to be sticking with the same party for one more update. I completely forgot when was the proper point to take the quest I wanted to deal with was. The quest in question is a 5 star quest with a boss fight that demands that you be around level 60 when you fight it. Also the dungeon in question (Miracle Forest) is filled with extremely high leveled random encounters and dragons. (They're all around level 55 to 60.)

The game does warn you if you aren't ready for it, I just didn't bother going far enough in to check it out.

As a result, I checked the other dungeons to see if our party would get horribly mauled or not by exploring them, and it turned out that a lot of side dungeons at this point I was thinking of exploring are currently too much for our team. On the plus side, this means I can progress through the main plot in the next update instead of the update after the next one like I was originally planning.

Shei-kun posted:

You know, looking at Dia's sprite, I've noticed she never, ever lets go of that bunny.

Is that where the one who isn't in control resides?

Also, Santa Emille was beautiful :allears:

gently caress the bird feather quest so hard I'm not even playing and that was painful

She's really stuck inside her own body, but the party hears her voice coming out from nearby her instead of out of her own mouth, making it sound like thin air is talking to them.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

Dr. Fetus posted:

If you're referring to Santa Emille, she's not really an option that you're supposed to think of, so much as she's a joke option/Easter egg. The other candidates (2 of which we haven't met yet) are a lot more obvious, and agree right away instead of needing to talk to 5 times in order to persuade them. I'll point them out when we meet them.

The funny thing is, on my first playthrough I honestly couldn't figure out who I was supposed to talk to and ended up accidentally talking to her for a completely unrelated reason while I still had the quest active :v

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
new thread title yessssss

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Pokeytax posted:

The feather quest is so infamous it got a callback in VFD!

I just saw that today.

‘How about you collect hundred bird feathers from a bunch of random monsters? We probably have 50 or so of those requests.’
‘Do you want Unit 13 to die?’

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

While I was doing some research on the game data, I have discovered to my horror, that it turns out that when you try to run from a battle, the game amplifies all damage that anyone who inputted the run command takes by 30%. I'm assuming that you can tell from my reaction that the game never tells you about this. Your only hint that this mechanic exists is that the Rogue specifically has a skill to remove that extra damage penalty (go figure). Yeah, this is some Final Fantasy III DS levels of bullshit.

The funny thing is, from what I could tell from the sites I use to cross check data, no one discovered or documented this mechanic before until now. They also had no idea how said Rogue skill worked because there was no data for it in the files. I just discovered now that the reason for that is because it doesn't actually have any damage reduction built in. It just removed the additional damage penalty imposed on you entirely. So uhh, just be aware of that when trying to run from a fight in this game.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 31, 2018

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, this is some Final Fantasy III DS levels of bullshit.

FFIII DS levels? Should I ask what was wrong with that?

I played it, long ago and I don’t remember anything too terrible.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 31, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pretty sure it pulls the exact same thing on you, also completely without any sort of signposting. Or maybe it's one of the FF games where you randomly drop money when running.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Blademaster_Aio posted:

FFIII DS levels? Should I ask what was wrong with that?

I played it, long ago and I don’t remember anything too terrible.

III DS is terrible in general, but III NES manages to outdo it on the "fleeing" front by having it set your defense to 0.

My "favorite" punishment for people who get in over their head and need to run away from fights is probably in the SNES release of Tales of Phantasia, though, which makes it so the encounter rate increases.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Dragonatrix posted:

III DS is terrible in general, but III NES manages to outdo it on the "fleeing" front by having it set your defense to 0.

My "favorite" punishment for people who get in over their head and need to run away from fights is probably in the SNES release of Tales of Phantasia, though, which makes it so the encounter rate increases.

Okay, that’s just cruel.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, FF3 DS (And the NES version as I just found out now) reduced your defenses when you tried to run away from battle.

I'm surprised to hear the DS version is actually more merciful on that front considering that this is Matrix Software we're talking about.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Dr. Fetus posted:

She's really stuck inside her own body, but the party hears her voice coming out from nearby her instead of out of her own mouth, making it sound like thin air is talking to them.
I know that, and you know that, and the party knows that, but do the random NPCs know that?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Can random NPCs hear the Dia that isn't in control?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Efe posted:

And to think, I've been backtracking all over the place because I thought I didn't know what a gather spot looked like. Also my party is level 20 now and Blind continues to wear off before I get a single turn to make use of it. Poison and Paralysis have been working just fine for me, so I don't know why it's just Blind.

I found the answer to this while trying to figure out how ailment duration works in this game. It turns out that there are 2 versions of blind in the code! One of them (ailment ID: 0x0C) is the version tied to most enemy skills that can even inflict Blind (Which lasts for the standard 2 to 6 turns), while the other version (ailment ID: 0x0D) is tied solely to Sand Kick (and the enemy version of Sand Kick, and 1 other enemy skill I don't know the name of yet.) And always lasts for one turn. There's no difference between them outside of that. Both of them set your accuracy to the minimum (50%). So players get the deliberately terrible version. No other ailment in the game is like that, just Blind for some odd reason. :psyduck:

Shei-kun posted:

I know that, and you know that, and the party knows that, but do the random NPCs know that?

Commander Keene posted:

Can random NPCs hear the Dia that isn't in control?

They could, but she only speaks up whenever they're out of earshot. Or just makes sure only the party hears her speak, since neither of them feel like explaining their entire deal to everyone they meet. The only time real Dia broke that rule was in trying to convince Emille to be Santa Claus.

EDIT: Ahahaha, did they seriously just use the exact same mechanics Etrian Odyssey 1 used to determine ailment duration? :laugh:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 7, 2018

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I found the answer to this while trying to figure out how ailment duration works in this game. It turns out that there are 2 versions of blind in the code! One of them (ailment ID: 0x0C) is the version tied to most enemy skills that can even inflict Blind (Which lasts for the standard 2 to 6 turns), while the other version (ailment ID: 0x0D) is tied solely to Sand Kick (and the enemy version of Sand Kick, and 1 other enemy skill I don't know the name of yet.) And always lasts for one turn. There's no difference between them outside of that. Both of them set your accuracy to the minimum (50%). So players get the deliberately terrible version. No other ailment in the game is like that, just Blind for some odd reason. :psyduck:

I'm trying to think of a reason why the game designers would do that to the players but I've got nothing. Well at least I know not to sink so many skill points into Sand Kick if I ever run another dagger Rogue :v

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Efe posted:

I'm trying to think of a reason why the game designers would do that to the players but I've got nothing. Well at least I know not to sink so many skill points into Sand Kick if I ever run another dagger Rogue :v

The idea, as was explained to me when I picked up the game, is that Sand Kick has an unusually high infliction rate for an ailment, compensated by the lack of damage and 1-turn duration- it's meant to be used a bit like a Guard skill, or as part of a Masked Pain build.

Not that I ever ran a rogue, so I can't testify to how well that works out.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Handgun Phonics posted:

The idea, as was explained to me when I picked up the game, is that Sand Kick has an unusually high infliction rate for an ailment, compensated by the lack of damage and 1-turn duration- it's meant to be used a bit like a Guard skill, or as part of a Masked Pain build.

Not that I ever ran a rogue, so I can't testify to how well that works out.

Sand Kick has an infliction rate of 100% at level 10, while most other player ailment skills cap out at around 75% or less. However, Blind tends to be one of the more heavily resisted ailments among dragons and bosses, so in practice, its infliction rate tends to be lower than the skills that have a base rate of 75%.

Even with a Masked Pain build, you're better off utilizing other ailments, since those have a higher chance of landing on the big enemies.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Sand Kick has an infliction rate of 100% at level 10, while most other player ailment skills cap out at around 75% or less. However, Blind tends to be one of the more heavily resisted ailments among dragons and bosses, so in practice, its infliction rate tends to be lower than the skills that have a base rate of 75%.

Even with a Masked Pain build, you're better off utilizing other ailments, since those have a higher chance of landing on the big enemies.

The game subverts itself so often, I have to wonder if there was some internal design arguments at work.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I can't tell whether it's a stroke of characterization genius or just typical game effort that there is no sprite or costume change at all. It's just, "hi, I'm Santa Claus, and this is totally what Santa Claus looks like".

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?
Just wanted to say, I've really enjoyed reading this, and it inspired me to pick up where I left off playing it. It took a while to do most everything (the only thing I have left is the bonus dungeon, which sounds like a neat but big pain), and it was really fun! I've enjoyed the other games in the series, so it was nice to finish this. Anyway, I hope you continue this someday, Dr. Fetus!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oublietteer posted:

Just wanted to say, I've really enjoyed reading this, and it inspired me to pick up where I left off playing it. It took a while to do most everything (the only thing I have left is the bonus dungeon, which sounds like a neat but big pain), and it was really fun! I've enjoyed the other games in the series, so it was nice to finish this. Anyway, I hope you continue this someday, Dr. Fetus!

Rest assured that this LP isn't dead. I've got part of the next update recorded. Though I've been a bit too busy to work on this a lot lately.

Unfortunately, the one time I tried to work on it recently, I ran into some severe technical issues, which was quite the annoying setback. So uh, I dunno exactly when I'll get the next update out.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Stay strong Fetus, EOIII tried to kill you, SEVERELY, and you completed it. 7th dragon should be a cake walk compared.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh hey, this isn't dead. I don't have an update ready yet, but I am working on the next one since my life finally gave me some free time, and I got my technical issues sorted out. (Desmume finally decided to stop being a resource hog when I tried to record for play sessions.)

Normally I wouldn't post without an update unless the thread was dangerously close to archival, but I figured I might as well let you all know that an Etrian Odyssey 1 LP by Crosspeice has started. While that game is from an entirely different series, this game was directed by the same person as this game. And I figured some of you may be interested in the game that 7th Dragon took a lot of... inspiration from. (Oh, and I guess I'm co-commentating in it or something.)

On notes related to this LP, I was maybe hoping to have some big stuff included in this next update, but that might not be happening and instead get shoved into the update after the next one. We'll have to see how that pans out.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 23, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Sadly I still don't have that update ready, but I bring some good news.

:siren:7th Dragon 2020-II's fan translation finally got finished.:siren: Do note that the game is a direct sequel to 7th Dragon 2020, so you should probably play that first if you haven't. (Note: It's not necessary to play 7th Dragon DS for this.)

However, this is not an invitation to talk about what goes on in 2020-II in the thread! Spoiler policy still applies here.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 23, 2018

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Merry Christmas!

(I found this doodle by Miwa Shirow, the 2020 character designer, tucked away in the artbook while doing research for 2020-II. So, it's... official art?)

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

For anyone who has played it, how does 2020-II play in comparison to this game?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Pokeytax posted:

Merry Christmas!

(I found this doodle by Miwa Shirow, the 2020 character designer, tucked away in the artbook while doing research for 2020-II. So, it's... official art?)

Glorious. :allears:

freshlybaked posted:

For anyone who has played it, how does 2020-II play in comparison to this game?

If you've played 2020 or VFD, it's very similar to those. 7th Dragon DS is pretty much an outlier in the series. The later games pretty much became their own thing instead of being blatant EO1 clones. The April Fool's update I made gives a little insight into how the combat and such works.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
2020 pretty quickly became one of my favorite PSP games period, so I'm glad 2020-II got translated eventually. Tried to play a bit before and, uh, boy that sure didn't last long or go well. :v:

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?

Dragonatrix posted:

2020 pretty quickly became one of my favorite PSP games period, so I'm glad 2020-II got translated eventually. Tried to play a bit before and, uh, boy that sure didn't last long or go well. :v:

The series has become one my favorites overall (despite some flaws), so I'm thrilled that this is finished. I got about halfway through 2020-II by blindly fumbling, but it'll be so nice to actually UNDERSTAND what's happening!

Pokeytax, I just want to thank you so much for taking the time and effort to do this. You've brought me, and many others, a lot of joy. Do you have some way I could throw some money your way? As a college student, I don't have MUCH, but I'd like to give you something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh hey, this LP is finally back... with an update mainly about side stuff and a bit of exploration. Oh and a slight bit of plot. Yeah, I tried to fit in a good chunk of plot, but the update was already looking to be getting too big, so the thing I wanted to have in this update will have to wait until the next one. No NPC dialogue since there isn't much of it around. At least we know what the next Imperial Dragon is now.