Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Is there a way to buy for store credit if you have store credit? ie, the option is there if you have a non-0 amount in your cart?

this could be "bad ui change" or "holy poo poo :laffo:" :allears:

As far as I can tell the “non-warbond” version does not exist. At least there is no way to access it that I can find. The “upgrade” button implies that I could use store credit to turn my Aurora into a Razer LX or whatever the gently caress, but if I just wanted to add one that appears to be impossible unless I give them fresh cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Beet Wagon posted:

:laffo:

CIG have completely removed the non-warbond (IE available for store credit) version of the new ships.

Then:

Now:

e: clicking through to the "complete ship page" gets you this:

:frogsiren: There is no way to purchase the new variant with store credit unless you're upgrading an existing ship :frogsiren:

Not desperate at all, everything is going swimmingly.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

Has it really come to this? I didn’t realize things were quite so dire.

You guys are trying to kill me, now I get it.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Is Love Pledge or whatever out yet?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I've known about Star Citizen for years but only found this thread recently and discovered the extent of this insanity. It seems to me to be a textbook cult with a ponzi scheme-like organization, just like Scientology or the Rajneeshees or something...give us all your money and believe that the great leader will one day deliver your dreams. But this isn't a fake religion, it's a fake computer game. I still have trouble wrapping my head around all of this and it feels like I'm missing something.

I'm surprised this madness is almost invisible from the mainstream press. Is there a recent article written, by like the Atlantic or New Yorker or something, about the whole sordid tale up until now for the layperson?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdt5c1lOAEg

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The Titanic posted:

You guys are trying to kill me, now I get it.

You're simply irresistible

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Chris Robert's is so close to fulfilling every single prophecy that the Simpsons foretold it's almost scary

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

thatguy posted:

Is Love Pledge or whatever out yet?

Yes, just rename monica's character file "theagent" and start another playthrough

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Frank_Leroux posted:

The Titanic! Noooooo.....

Just... just don't look at all the pictures! Remember me for what I was!

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
A certain Warlord, formerly of this parish, is getting awfully excited on twitter.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

This guy is married LMAO.

"Ya honey I just invested around 54k on Star Citizen. No what? It's not a crypto honey it is a space sim video game."

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
That's not even all of it. He regularly buys like $500 in T-shirts and merchandise from their store and sends thousands of dollars of gifts and lunch to the offices.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ulio posted:

"Ya honey I just invested around 54k on Star Citizen. No what? It's not a crypto honey it is a space sim video game."

He has a collection of dolls and his online persona is that of a little Japanese singing virtual girl (I think?)

I'm sure the least of her worries are how much he blew on space ship jpegs this month. more like when will the FBI finally come knocking, some day she knows. And she waits. Prepared for it

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yep, wait for hot divorce-family-court action.

"Your honor, the defense would like to materialize Clifford's waifu to the stand."

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Dooguk posted:

A certain Warlord, formerly of this parish, is getting awfully excited on twitter.

How can you tell?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/1001568141728722944

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

No response yet :(

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Grubby Hobo posted:

IIRC Object Container Streaming is "You don't have to immediately (synchronously in geek-speak) load up every detail about everything you know exists, you can do it in the background."

It combines with Bind Culling, aka "You don't have to know something exists if there is no possible way for you to interact with it" to form the awesome power of "everyone else building games knew all along that you'd need that."

I'd make the bold prediction that Bind Culling will not make the 3.2 release, but c'mon. I have some pride. A jar of peanut butter could predict that.

These are both something I would expect to be somewhat functional in the first month, at least the first few months. Certainly waaaay before spending millions on creating art assets. But there I go thinking Chris intended to make an MMO. The problem (outside their own ineptitude) is they chose an engine that appears to be fundamentally opposed architecturally to these two concepts.

They're either listing progress as a complete lie; a reminder that bind culling has been "coming soon" since before 2.6
OR
They actually think they're making an MMO at some point. lol, no

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I hope this dude gets all the attention his money can buy him. After he stops rubbing your nose in all the money he has anyhow.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

This is kind of a trick question.

First, not a single ship if fully functional.

Second, most of the ships that are flyable are either small ships and variants. Here, have a handy reference of which medium to large ships are there:

Third, nothing outside pew-pew has been implemented for the ships to do.

Somebody out there is looking at this, and says it's totally worth $27k. :(

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've known about Star Citizen for years but only found this thread recently and discovered the extent of this insanity. It seems to me to be a textbook cult with a ponzi scheme-like organization, just like Scientology or the Rajneeshees or something...give us all your money and believe that the great leader will one day deliver your dreams. But this isn't a fake religion, it's a fake computer game. I still have trouble wrapping my head around all of this and it feels like I'm missing something.

I'm surprised this madness is almost invisible from the mainstream press. Is there a recent article written, by like the Atlantic or New Yorker or something, about the whole sordid tale up until now for the layperson?

Welcome, friend. :)

Take my hand and hold tight. You're about to see some stuff.

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1001594698375532544

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Titanic posted:

I hope this dude gets all the attention his money can buy him. After he stops rubbing your nose in all the money he has anyhow.

Chances are much greater he doesn't have as much money as one would think

The type of man child that collects animu figurines usually has a decent enough job , and little else going on in their life

Besides his massive lifted pickup truck (manlet status of course) his all inclusive membership at the local bear club, and weird addiction, his wife and or parents probably pay for everything else

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yep, wait for hot divorce-family-court action.

"Your honor, the defense would like to materialize Clifford's waifu to the stand."

Lucky for him in japan they've already figured out how to do that. The next step though is breaking her out of this semen tank prison.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

*gasp* :grin:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I guess apparently the reason they pulled the regular version Razor variants off sale is that Disco said (somewhere in a video I'm not going to bother to watch) that this was a weekend-only sale or whatever. Which, if that's loving true just lmao that they

A) Didn't put that anywhere on the sale page and are now suffering the backlash

and

B) Still have the "limited edition" fresh-cash-only ones up for grabs because of loving course they do

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

But this isn't a fake religion, it's a fake computer game. I still have trouble wrapping my head around all of this and it feels like I'm missing something.

Manchildren suffering from a mid-life crisis trying to recapture the joy from their childhood in the only way they know: spending.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Beet Wagon posted:

I guess apparently the reason they pulled the regular version Razor variants off sale is that Disco said (somewhere in a video I'm not going to bother to watch) that this was a weekend-only sale or whatever. Which, if that's loving true just lmao that they

A) Didn't put that anywhere on the sale page and are now suffering the backlash

and

B) Still have the "limited edition" fresh-cash-only ones up for grabs because of loving course they do

They also changed the CR1968- serial numbering to CR2018- numbering, because the former was too cringey even for them.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ulio posted:

I see you haven't had the pleasure of meeting the wife.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I like the "quantities" on the ship sale. My dudes, they are jpgs. You're not going to run out.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Who's this handsome morenazo? He seems to know things.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dooguk posted:

surely this is the end for star citizen.

this time it's for real.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Ulio posted:

He probably has really loaded parents who don't really see 54k over 5 years in a "hobby" their child enjoys as a horrible expense. His wife probably enjoys the lifestyle mum & pop's money is bringing them; and is willing to tolerate a lot of other goings on.

Source: I have a friend who operated basically the same way. His wife did eventually leave him. RIP

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Clifford lives on an inherited plot of land in Texas in a trailer home. The guy spends an obscene amount of money on dreams but otherwise does not seem to be living beyond his means.

It's a little sad since 54k would have been more than enough to pour the foundation of the house he wants to build.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Ulio posted:

Still not as bad as owning an airplane...talk about a blackhole that sucks money out of your bank account.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
Is Star Citizen out yet? Just bought the 27k pack (More like 34k CDN) and am stoked to play!!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Goobs posted:

Is Star Citizen out yet? Just bought the 27k pack (More like 34k CDN) and am stoked to play!!

It's pretty much already out. You can log on now and get more gameplay than several AAA titles. Once object container streaming and network bind culling are in, previously undesigned gameplay elements such as mining and bounty hunting will spontaneously appear, along with all the underlying technology that will allow them to work. At your donation level (or any donation level) Squadron 42 is included, which is not only a complete game that Ben Lesnick is on record stating he played from start to finish, but also the Citizen Kane of space games because noted autist Chris Roberts penned the award-winning script. Subsumption AI not only passed the Turing Test but also created the singularity, so now the game is self-designing. Billions of living AI NPCs populate the 'verse creating infinite possibilities.

Since your $27,000 donation got them 0.008% of the way toward paying their loans off, there's really no danger of them running out of cash.