Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hipster_Doofus posted:

TIL that goons hate Firefly. I dunno maybe I had the advantage of never having watched any Joss Whedon before, but I thought it was fantastic. In fact, I should watch it again; probably been close to 10 years.

I'll report back if it hasn't aged well.

Firefly is an okay show that is hurt by a fanbase that refuses to let it go.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I gave it a try after all the glowing reviews and bounced off hard after a handful of episodes. Pretty much none of the jokes landed for me, but the constant attempts to be funny sure managed to undermine any attempts at drama.

They've said that for season 2 they're going to be dialing back on the humor. It will still be a funny show but MacFarlane has said that he wants the humor to come organically instead of just going "well, we haven't had a joke in a couple of minutes, better put one in."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

fruit on the bottom posted:

I’m guessing that show must have had some drastic improvement by the end of the season because otherwise yikes

It seems to scratch a very specific itch for some people. It's recycling 20-40 year old Star Trek content in an extremely straightforward and sincere way (plus a few Family Guy gags), which is somehow incredibly appealing to certain kinds of viewers (and Seth McFarlane).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess the new Roseanne show hasn't aged worth a poo poo

ABC cancels 'Roseanne' after star's racist Twitter rant

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/29/media/roseanne-twitter-chelsea-clinton/index.html

I watched that over the weekend. They were trying too hard to cram 20 years of social events into nine episodes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sassassin posted:

It seems to scratch a very specific itch for some people. It's recycling 20-40 year old Star Trek content in an extremely straightforward and sincere way (plus a few Family Guy gags), which is somehow incredibly appealing to certain kinds of viewers (and Seth McFarlane).

I don’t even like trek but something about The Orville worked for me.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I gave it a try after all the glowing reviews and bounced off hard after a handful of episodes. Pretty much none of the jokes landed for me, but the constant attempts to be funny sure managed to undermine any attempts at drama.

I agree, this show was very very bad and I don't understand anyone who praises it.

In one of the episodes, a totallynotklingon girl does something vaguely competent and the genericblackguy character goes 'drat Dora the explora got balls son!'

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Captain Monkey posted:

I agree, this show was very very bad and I don't understand anyone who praises it.

In one of the episodes, a totallynotklingon girl does something vaguely competent and the genericblackguy character goes 'drat Dora the explora got balls son!'

Just admit you didn't watch any of it

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Not Operator posted:

I still maintain that every TV show more than five years old that you remember fondly is a dozen great scenes threaded between hours of garbage. I'm sure Firefly is the same.
The A-Team only gets better with age.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Seth MacFarlane is awful and there is no good reason to waste a second watching whatever new garbage thing he's done just so you can say "yup, this one is bad too"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Just admit you didn't watch any of it

I watched 2 full episodes.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Seth MacFarlane has created hours and hours of TV but you could replace them all with five minutes of a dude singing in a show tune style voice about how gross gay people are and nobody would notice

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
This thread did not agree well

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

They've said that for season 2 they're going to be dialing back on the humor. It will still be a funny show but MacFarlane has said that he wants the humor to come organically instead of just going "well, we haven't had a joke in a couple of minutes, better put one in."

Good! I liked the 1st season well enough, but i could have done without the Family Guy Humour, which to be fair gets toned down during the course of season 1.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Captain Monkey posted:

I think the moment that landed the worst for me was in the pilot where he defeats the enemy ship by rapidly aging a seed into a mighty tree that crushes it with the quip of “Happy Arbor Day” (which I liked in a campy way) only for a bunch of people to tell him that he should have gone with “you got wood” and he agrees.

Like, it was the one decently good joke and you immediately shat on it for something really dumb???

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

englerp posted:

Good! I liked the 1st season well enough, but i could have done without the Family Guy Humour, which to be fair gets toned down during the course of season 1.
If the guy who watched two episodes watched the first two episodes, his dislike of the show is well justified. I would have quit after two episodes as well if there had been something else worth trying around then. Couple more episodes in it had really sorted out a better pattern, rather than being "Kirk Trek with Family Guy jokes that don't really fit" it became "Kirk Trek except the crew have realistic characters and motivations" which naturally falls into a much better type of humor. There were still jokes, but they fit into the plot and characters better. (eg. my favorite, something like "there's innocent families and children down there!" "and probably a lot of innocent single adults too!")

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Orville needs more Family Guy gags. Like way, way more. Because nothing about the plots or characters is remotely new or interesting. I watched 3 episodes and I'm not convinced they weren't simply shot for shot remakes of Voyager or SG-1 mid season filler.

Which is great if you loved the same tv shows Seth McFarlane did growing up, and want to see them again.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
i liked the orville after they toned down the jokes alot and seth wasnt in everything. and its the first sc-fi show ive seen in forever that isnt dark, gloomy and/or depressing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

big cummers ONLY posted:

A lot of us probably liked it 15 years ago. But think of all the dumb poo poo you liked 15 years ago.

The Digimon movie soundtrack is great, you take that back

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

datajugend posted:

i liked the orville after they toned down the jokes alot and seth wasnt in everything. and its the first sc-fi show ive seen in forever that isnt dark, gloomy and/or depressing.

Huh, you're right, I'm drawing a blank here. Maybe Dirk Gently, but I didn't watch that one.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Huh, you're right, I'm drawing a blank here. Maybe Dirk Gently, but I didn't watch that one.
Dirk was dark.

datajugend posted:

and its the first sc-fi show ive seen in forever that isnt dark, gloomy and/or depressing.
Killjoys season 1 was remarkably upbeat for a show mostly about indentured servants in a corporate nightmare-future in space.

There's, um, Ash vs Evil Dead, again surprisingly upbeat for a show about unstoppable evil making people's blood spray everywhere whenever it wants. But not really sci-fi.

Honestly though, I can hardly think of sci-fi that isn't gloomy even really delving back in time. I suppose there's Buck Rogers and arguably Knight Rider. Even Buck Rogers is pretty depressing if you think about the setting; "oh hey, in 500 years humans are so loving incompetent that a guy from ~now, with no experience of how anything works in that time, is like a superhero in comparison."

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
yeah but im not thinking about just the people and the mood of the show being upbeat, but also colors and lighting. farscape could be upbeat but it was still dark and gloomy.

orvilles set is colorful and bright, it feels more like a place people would stay than say for example the expanse.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
What's hilarious about Firefly is Joss thought he was being sooo smart by going "see China is growing so fast they'll obviously be so important that everyone knows Chinese in the spacefuture!" (if he'd made Firefly in the 80s it would have been Japan/Japanese) and then he didn't even bother to cast anyone from SE Asia at all, let alone China.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What's hilarious about Firefly is Joss thought he was being sooo smart by going "see China is growing so fast they'll obviously be so important that everyone knows Chinese in the spacefuture!" (if he'd made Firefly in the 80s it would have been Japan/Japanese) and then he didn't even bother to cast anyone from SE Asia at all, let alone China.

I like to think that in this future, the Chinese government just threw a bunch of money at the problem but didn't really consider the long-term logistics of how its people would interact with other colonists. Instead, they insisted that as an equal partner, Chinese culture and language should be taught equal to that of American culture and the English language but did a poor job of it and it never actually grew organically. That's how we get crappy Mandarin spoken, Chinese influences, but not a lot of actual Chinese people.

:goonsay: I've thought about this way too much.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Firefly was an OK show. I liked the episode where they went to the rich planet to steal from the hospital. Oh, and the one where they went to the party and they had a sword fight.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

purple death ray posted:

They're my very favorite breed.

I've heard they're cute and cuddly, easy dogs to feed.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Krispy Wafer posted:

Or Firefly existed in the era before peak TV and streaming and compared to stuff at the time (which coincided with the advent of reality TV) it was pretty good.

By today’s standards, not so much.

Firefly and Arrested Development only became popular because Fox dumped them onto Hulu for free in it's early days, before even Netflix streaming. Millennials ate up free online content where they could get it, and both shows do have quality over early YouTube poo poo. Both would have never been remembered otherwise.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Firefly was popular before Hulu. It was perpetually on the top DVD sellers which is why they re-released it so many times.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mu Zeta posted:

Firefly was popular before Hulu. It was perpetually on the top DVD sellers which is why they re-released it so many times.

Not to mention that the movie was released several years before Hulu existed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fox canceled Space Above and Beyond, which was better than Firefly.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Space Above and Beyond was the ugliest most boring piece of crap ever put on TV which is why it was cancelled. Firefly is also extremely unpleasant to look at and boring. See ya in hell, both shows.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Space Above and Beyond was the ugliest most boring piece of crap ever put on TV which is why it was cancelled. Firefly is also extremely unpleasant to look at and boring. See ya in hell, both shows.

I remember liking Space: Above and Beyond, but I was probably 13 when it was broadcast and I liked that lovely Canadian sci-fi show with an AI named Caravaggio that completely changed cast and tone between its two seasons.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Honestly all I remember about it is sitting in my grandmother's house and having it on but being too depressed by the color palette to pay attention to it. Maybe the plot was great.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hell, as said they demonstrate this in the very series with grandpa Sisko trying Ferengi-Cajun fusion cooking. And Jake's favourite breakfast combines Earth, Bajoran and Klingon food and drink.

A lot of DS9's best bits are showing how the ordinary people in the space future live. Hell, Ferengi are deliberately played as closer to 20th century Earth culture, they even have popular franchises with merchandise.

What eps talked about that? jog me.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Jason Sextro posted:

I've heard they're cute and cuddly, easy dogs to feed.

I'd give them a chance.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Honestly all I remember about it is sitting in my grandmother's house and having it on but being too depressed by the color palette to pay attention to it. Maybe the plot was great.

Now I haven't seen it since I was 15, but I really liked it. I seem to recall watching that and playing Wing Commander 3 at the same time and I get aspects of them confused with each other.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Space Above and Beyond probably would have done a lot better 10-12 years later. An exchange like this was probably a bit jarring in terms of attitude for an action Sci-Fi show in the 90s, but post-BSG, I could see it being pretty accepted or expected from an audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOb6V9gzrKM&t=495s

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

JediTalentAgent posted:

Space Above and Beyond probably would have done a lot better 10-12 years later. An exchange like this was probably a bit jarring in terms of attitude for an action Sci-Fi show in the 90s, but post-BSG, I could see it being pretty accepted or expected from an audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOb6V9gzrKM&t=495s

This wouldn't look out of place in B5. :shrug:

I mean, aside from none of the people involved having weird prosthetics or silly hair.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Even with shows like B5, DS9 and SG-1, there felt like there was a slightly more 'hopeful' tone of it. I seem to remember Space:A&B getting a bit more pessimistic in its tone.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Quote-Unquote posted:

There were quite a few times in House MD where video games being played realistically. Then in one of the later seasons there was a hilariously dumb bad CGI section that was supposed to be a VR game, and they used clips from that to represent all video games in the universe from that point on (it appeared as a lightgun game and played with a regular controller).

There was a scene where Foreman and Taub are playing a game, and it's really obvious which of the actors has actually played video games (Omar Epps) because he's actually moving the sticks and pulling triggers/pushing buttons like you would in an FPS, and presses the Start button when the character wants to pause the game. Meanwhile Taub is just wildly mashing buttons.

House MD + video game =

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

Even with shows like B5, DS9 and SG-1, there felt like there was a slightly more 'hopeful' tone of it. I seem to remember Space:A&B getting a bit more pessimistic in its tone.

Imho, most of the time neither SG-1 nor Atlantis were that dark (Compared to B5, DS9 and nBSG). SGU was kinda. (Though they toned that down a bit in Season 2, which i honestly really liked, while i kind of found Season 1 a bit meh).

Sure, they had some dark moments, but both SG1 and SG:A mostly were adventure shows in a military scifi setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Gaunab posted:

Firefly was obviously Joss Whedon watching Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop and copying them.

SpacePig posted:

This is basically why I liked what I liked of it. I love Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star, all my friends love Firefly, and Wikipedia lists all 3 under "space western", so I gave it a shot.

Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star don't even belong in the same sentence, quality-wise. Outlaw Star is kinda fun but when you get down to it, is a trash harem anime in space. featuring such memorable characters as Big-Titted Yelling Catgirl, Big-titted Space Samurai Lady, and Big-titted Quiet Lady Who Floats Around A Mysterious Fluid While Naked. See us in our next episode, Boob Physics 2: Even Boobier!! Featuring: Gene's Big Gun!!!!

Cowboy Bebop has Faye Valentine, sure, but overall is much more of a real show and is wayyyy better than OS. Plus it has Yoko Kanno's music.

People group them together because Adult Swim ran them both in a time slot together and was good at making promos making them seem comparable.