Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's going on with this solitary system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Oh yeah I wanted to say I like how the amoeba chain is different now.

Is it cool to let sectors colonize yet, or should I throw down the basic buildings? Are sectors cool with bots or do they Luke doing dumb poo poo like have them research while weak noodily guys slave in the mines?

Don't let them colonize. You can manually build colonies and let them build them up, but never let them start the colonization. Last I checked, they only build colony ships from the sector capital, so if your sector spans more than a small bit of space it'll take years for the ships to finally arrive.

If you do let them colonize, build a gateway in the sector capital, so at least the colony ships will use that to speed up part of the trip. I usually play with 2x or 3x wormholes/gateways, so there tend to be a good bit of them scattered around to help out.

As for robots, I haven't tried out a robot friendly game yet, so no clue about that one.

Jabarto posted:

The aliens in question did not, in fact, have the Delicious trait. Please fix this glaring omission.

Wiz, please make this event add the Delicious trait to the target species. And maybe give an option for Hive Minds that get that event to change into a Devouring Swarm so they can taste a little of everyone.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Explore the nearby wormhole and find out!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You access it via the wormhole in the Sulhintinelmler system.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jabarto posted:

The aliens in question did not, in fact, have the Delicious trait. Please fix this glaring omission.

Morale/Unity bonus from eating them!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

it has a wormhole in it

also some other stuff, but telling would ruin the surprise

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh gently caress this game. After being unable to do take any offensive action against the other empires the entire game due to the pervailing threat of 11k raiders and finally reaching the point where I can invade them the loving great Kahn event happens and now suddenly multiple 20-50k doomstacks all invade and sacc my worlds. My entire fleet is 20k at maxed fleet capacity. What a bunch of horseshit.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Oh gently caress this game. After being unable to do take any offensive action against the other empires the entire game due to the pervailing threat of 11k raiders and finally reaching the point where I can invade them the loving great Kahn event happens and now suddenly multiple 20-50k doomstacks all invade and sacc my worlds. My entire fleet is 20k at maxed fleet capacity. What a bunch of horseshit.

talk to them and you'll have the option to surrender and they'll leave you alone

you'll lose some income and fleet capacity but that's better than getting killed

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah outside of endgame crises there is always a way out

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
You should also keep in mind that attacking one of the raider home systems considerably increases the chance of the Great Khan event firing (after the mid-game crisis year) so unless you can take everything out in one fell swoop you may want to just leave them be. If you're strong enough to take them on in one of their own systems you can just park a fleet nearby to deal with any raids or build a strong station. Or just let one of the AIs on the other side of the galaxy attack the raiders closest to them instead so they can deal with the Khan instead of you.

I've never seen two in the same game so it's either incredibly rare or not possible, so you should be safe after someone else pokes the hornets nest.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

President Ark posted:

talk to them and you'll have the option to surrender and they'll leave you alone

you'll lose some income and fleet capacity but that's better than getting killed

Screwed over by the picking the robot faction yet again. Fantastic. Great game-design. Not only did I have to suffer through boundless amounts of extra micro for the entire game, I also get to auto-lose in a situation where if I played literally anything else I would get a slap on the fingers.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You should also keep in mind that attacking one of the raider home systems considerably increases the chance of the Great Khan event firing (after the mid-game crisis year) so unless you can take everything out in one fell swoop you may want to just leave them be. If you're strong enough to take them on in one of their own systems you can just park a fleet nearby to deal with any raids or build a strong station. Or just let one of the AIs on the other side of the galaxy attack the raiders closest to them instead so they can deal with the Khan instead of you.

I've never seen two in the same game so it's either incredibly rare or not possible, so you should be safe after someone else pokes the hornets nest.

No empire but mine has access and the event triggered without me actually having the fleets in position to attack. I don't think the game can read my mind.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 30, 2018

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Screwed over by the picking the robot faction yet again. Fantastic. Great game-design. Not only did I have to suffer through boundless amounts of extra micro for the entire game, I also get to auto-lose in a situation where if I played literally anything else I would get a slap on the fingers.

uh, are you a determined exterminator?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

MiddleOne posted:

Screwed over by the picking the robot faction yet again.

I think it's less "the robot faction" and "one of the 3 factions dedicated to wiping out all other life forms."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Are you determined exterminators

They do have a point tbh

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kind of not so into it Exterminators

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Maybe play something that isn't Purge The Xenos until you're more familiar with the game I guess

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Have you considered NOT lusting for the death of all that lives

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ulmont posted:

I think it's less "the robot faction" and "one of the 3 factions dedicated to wiping out all other life forms."

Then slap a loving warning sign to the tune 'can get gibbed by mid-game event no matter what you do' because when I picked a faction with a 'everyone is hostile to you' trait I expected the other empires to be the problem. Not RNG.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Only On Holidays Exterminators

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

uhm...

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

*picks the KILL EVERYTHING ELSE race* "Why does everyone want to kill me?!?!?"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Then slap a loving warning sign to the tune 'can get gibbed by mid-game event no matter what you do' because when I picked a faction with a 'everyone is hostile to you' trait I expected the other empires to be the problem. Not RNG.

Try telling them that when you broadcasted THE AGE OF FLESH IS AT AN END to the entire galaxy that it was just a joke.

What do you mean the Great Khan cancelled my show anyway?!

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

MiddleOne posted:

No empire but mine has access and the event triggered without me actually having the fleets in position to attack. I don't think the game can read my mind.

2340 and that's all the space you've got? You haven't exterminated enough xenos.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Then just change your civics until the threat has passed.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Hunt11 posted:

Then just change your civics until the threat has passed.

You cannot civic change away from Determined Exterminators.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Shadowlyger posted:

2340 and that's all the space you've got? You haven't exterminated enough xenos.

It just pisses me off that I had recognized that I had a raider-faction right next to me at the beginning of the game I could have just restarted and had a game where I could have actually done what the entire point of this trait orientation is, invading the others. Instead I got bogged down by invading raider fleets, which are impossible by design to respond to until you scale, and by the point that I do scale they magically get 5 times as strong by a mid-game event getting triggered.

I get it, I'm being irrationally angry about a video-game here. But it just feels so completely pointless to have the game end by getting punted out by one of the gimmick DLC threats instead of one of the actual empires who play by the same rules as I do.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

Dawdling Exterminators doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

It just pisses me off that I had recognized that I had a raider-faction right next to me at the beginning of the game I could have just restarted and had a game where I could have actually done what the entire point of this trait orientation is, invading the others. Instead I got bogged down by invading raider fleets, which are impossible by design to respond to until you scale, and by the point that I do scale they magically get 5 times as strong by a mid-game event getting triggered.

I get it, I'm being irrationally angry about a video-game here. But it just feels so completely pointless to have the game end by getting punted out by one of the gimmick DLC threats instead of one of the actual empires who play by the same rules as I do.

Stellaris is all about threats that don’t play by the same rules as you friend. End game crises, L Clusters, khanates, and fallen empires. Two out of four are base game.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Stellaris is all about threats that don’t play by the same rules as you friend. End game crises, L Clusters, khanates, and fallen empires. Two out of four are base game.

The end-game threat is the entire point of the run though and fallen empires only bite if you bite them first.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

The end-game threat is the entire point of the run though and fallen empires only bite if you bite them first.

Fallen Empires can awaken on their own.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Sometimes, there really is a no-win scenario in a game if you make the wrong decisions or moves.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Have you tried not murdering all flesh?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Even regular empires don't play by the same rules when they're Advanced Start. :shrug:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

To be honest, Stellaris is a game where you learn more from your failures than your victories, unlike a lot of other games where failure really isn't presented as an option.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MiddleOne posted:

I think this is the literal example of "get good". You need to get better at the core game before trying the everyone hates you path

MiddleOne posted:

set the endgame and midgame crisis start timers to max so the game is over long before they show up then

President Ark
May 16, 2010

honestly i knew about the whole "khan won't accept surrender from the genocidal empire types" thing but didn't mention it because i figured if you were inexperienced enough at the game to not have seen the khan before you wouldn't have jumped right into playing on hard mode

you showed me i guess

realtalk: if you want the "everyone hates you" experience without going full murder, play as driven assimilators; they have -200 diplomacy to all other basic factions (-400 to spiritualists because they see you as soul-eating abominations) which is a pretty much insurmountable barrier to diplomacy, but don't count as a genocidal faction to those that care about that

e: vvvv also what he said; if you were only on one 20k fleet by 2300 then the crisis would have absolutely demolished you

President Ark fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 30, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The thing with the races of "we hate everyone else and are always total war" is they get a bunch of REALLY strong bonuses right at the start, and if you don't leverage that into a proper snowball then of course you're going to get wrecked by events. Take advantage of your expanded fleet size and stronger fleets to utilize 0 influence cost wars to grow stupid fast. By the time the Khan fires you should be in a position to at least turtle up and fight him at the very least (unless you got a crazy bad enemy empire generation and they rush a big federation against you).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

You feelin' alright there, Worm?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

What. My game just turned itself off, no crash or anything just pop i'm on desktop haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Am I weird for turning wormhole generation off? Am I missing out on much? They just seem to have had dumb interactions with empires thinking they're bordering you by being connected via wormhole, and are otherwise just bad gateways but unbuildable.