Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ghostwritingduck posted:

One interesting part of his character that was completely ignored in this film was his disbelief in the force or Jedi during ANH.

Well yeah, they also ignore that Chewie was a huge robo-racist. But that’s assuming this film is ‘in continuity’ with the others.

Unlike Rogue One, which functions as both a commentary on the Lucas films and a ‘lost episode’, Solo is the first full spin-off since the Ewok movies. It’s not really a Star Wars movie.

The big tip-off is that there is no actual Star War in the film.

Instead, Solo’s unambiguously the first in a Lucasfilm-branded fantasy series about Star Crime. Red Dawn fully replaces the Empire as the antagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s not really a Star Wars movie.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

woah woah woah, do people know about this?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

YOLOsubmarine posted:

My favorite part of the movie was when the four armed alien gets shot and Han starts flying the ship and he’s literally just sort of hovering there, not really doing anything special and the alien dude goes “You’re a hell of a pilot kid!” based on his ability fly a ship in a straight line.

as a pilot myself i would just like to point out keeping a fixed wing aircraft steady over a speeding train within meters of a cliff face is in fact actually something someone who is a hell of a pilot is capable of

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

not that it matters or anything

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Still doing great at not seeing Solo: A Star Wars Story

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Still doing great at not seeing Solo: A Star Wars Story

Keep it up! We're all behind you!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I saw solo and it was real good for a flop

Thanks for reading

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

“Solo is a Star Wars story!”

Narrator: It isn’t.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

That says it’s a Star Wars story, not a Star Wars movie. The title of the story is Solo. And it’s obviously not about a Star War.

Solo has effectively zero narrative, aesthetic, or thematic connection to the movies that are actually called Star Wars. Also there’s no R2-D2 or C3PO, the implicit narrators of the other films.

The best explanation for the discrepancy is that Solo is a story told to us by a ‘Star Wars’ character (probably Chewbacca). That story is about Space Crime.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

thats not the movie its a poster about the movie

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

cuntman.net posted:

thats not the movie its a poster about the movie

Solo: A Star Wars Poster

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Note that Rogue One is explicitly not ‘A Star Wars Story’, despite what the ads claimed.

That means that, unlike Solo, it actually happened.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Note that Rogue One is explicitly not ‘A Star Wars Story’, despite what the ads claimed.

That means that, unlike Solo, it actually happened.

I hope you remembered to think about them on Monday.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Additional evidence:

M. Night Shyamalan’s Lady In The Water: A Bedtime Story By M. Night Shyamalan does not take place in the same universe as the titular bedtime.

The story is told to a child during bedtime.

Furthermore, Hachi: A Dog’s Tale is unreliably narrated by a racist dog - bolstering the theory that the Solo story was manufactured by Chewbacca.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Additional evidence:

M. Night Shyamalan’s Lady In The Water: A Bedtime Story By M. Night Shyamalan does not take place in the same universe as the titular bedtime.

Furthermore, Hachi: A Dog’s Tale is unreliably narrated by a racist dog - bolstering the theory that the Solo story was manufactured by Chewbacca.

Bedtime Stories with Chewie sounds like a fun read
May be a little hard to fall asleep after listening to Wookiee noises for twenty minutes though

Is he telling this to Ben Solo or Lumpy?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gleaming the Cube: A Star Wars Story

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Vinylshadow posted:

Bedtime Stories with Chewie sounds like a fun read
May be a little hard to fall asleep after listening to Wookiee noises for twenty minutes though

Is he telling this to Ben Solo or Lumpy?

Ben, obviously. No wonder he hated his father.

"MY NAME COMES FROM A CLERICAL OVERSIGHT!?"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This film was really bad. It's annoying because I felt like there was a solid comedy film in there somewhere, but the jokes were usually ruined by the delivery or editing, and the tone was all over the place.

Ehrenreich's performance did feel particularly bad but that might have been a direction issue. His jokes lacked comic timing and he couldn't really pull off the coolguy quips convincingly.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's cool how much of the movie is dull conversations shot on featureless landscapes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Goddam how has smg managed to be a first year film student for a loving decade

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Additional evidence:

:lol:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

as a pilot myself i would just like to point out keeping a fixed wing aircraft steady over a speeding train within meters of a cliff face is in fact actually something someone who is a hell of a pilot is capable of

The hauler was also tethered to the train too. So he was juggling quite a few things there.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

My favorite part of the movie was when the four armed alien gets shot and Han starts flying the ship and he’s literally just sort of hovering there, not really doing anything special and the alien dude goes “You’re a hell of a pilot kid!” based on his ability fly a ship in a straight line.

:ughh:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I feel like there may have originally been a running joke about Han getting things wrong - for example when he claims that the star destroyer won't bother with them and when he jettisons the escape pod to questionable benefit. But in the final version these are glossed over and they added some 'wow you're so great Han!' reaction shots to emphasize the point.

Similarly there was a joke about Lando being a pushover that got a bit confused and just comes across as weird now (eg the fact he never seems to care that he won a ship off Han that he didn't actually have and the negotiations over his share).

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Teek posted:

The hauler was also tethered to the train too. So he was juggling quite a few things there.

yeah he definitely was doing way more than just sitting there keeping the stick steady lmao

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i'd say the biggest piloting gripe should be the fact that every single time it cut to han flying the falcon he was just twisting the falcon's nonsensical controls back and forth with no apparent rhyme or reason (which you can see in the trailer)

but i don't blame him because literally nothing about the millenium falcon makes sense

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, Han successfully taking control of a flying cargo transport tethered to a train that it's sliding along the top of is reasonably impressive. That said, having a character exist with no interior, built only to pump up the protagonist he just met at his dying moment, is hack writing. I think that's what people are responding to, how clunky the praise is.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Why are things being transported via train cars in a galaxy with FTL spaceships?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Don't knock that character, have all your lovely opinions and criticisms you want but you leave that four armed duder alone. He was awesome and cool and he was my friend.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Gonz posted:

Why are things being transported via train cars in a galaxy with FTL spaceships?

why do we transport things via train and truck irl when we have airplanes

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

why do we transport things via train and truck irl when we have airplanes

Spaceships can take off and land pretty much anywhere. Airplanes cannot.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Don't knock that character, have all your lovely opinions and criticisms you want but you leave that four armed duder alone. He was awesome and cool and he was my friend.

He's lively and fun and then his death is entirely about selling the protagonist. It's the latter I'm taking issue with.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This film was really bad. It's annoying because I felt like there was a solid comedy film in there somewhere, but the jokes were usually ruined by the delivery or editing, and the tone was all over the place.

Ehrenreich's performance did feel particularly bad but that might have been a direction issue. His jokes lacked comic timing and he couldn't really pull off the coolguy quips convincingly.

Han Solo is not a coolguy. He's a loser trying to appear cool. He's constantly on the edge of ruin and disaster because of his big mouth getting him into things he has no idea how to get out of. This is consistent in all of the movies.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Not to make a multi-page thing of this, but the "you're a great pilot" comment was still a little much because he'd only just started doing it. Saying "you're doing good" would've made sense. This was like me succesfully flipping a pancake on my first go and someone telling me I'm a master flapjack king.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gonz posted:

Spaceships can take off and land pretty much anywhere. Airplanes cannot.

So...

VTOL

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

you can land airplanes in a ton of places too (my friends and i frequently do here in arizona) but a lot of them aren't ideal for loading and unloading a ton of cargo

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It makes sense because it's a volatile substance which we transport stuff today that's volatile by train. Like putting it in a plane is just to dangerous

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

yeah he definitely was doing way more than just sitting there keeping the stick steady lmao

The issue is that, as with many things in the film, we don’t have any frame of reference for what bad piloting looks like.

Keep in mind that A New Hope opens with a space battle that establishes what ‘going too slow’ looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The issue is that, as with many things in the film, we don’t have any frame of reference for what bad piloting looks like.

Keep in mind that A New Hope opens with a space battle that establishes what ‘going too slow’ looks like.

okay well it's the same as irl if you don't crash when you are doing a complicated maneuver you're better than most at piloting