Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s a virtual Pokémon Go in Kanto. Which is neat but not an actual Pokémon game for me to obsess about which is good for me since I have other poo poo I want to play in 2018.

The buried lede in this is that this is basically them introducing Pokémon trainer battles for Pokémon Go since it appears to be essentially the same mechanics for everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Motto posted:

Apropos of nothing I just wanna remind people that there was a Pokemon game about watching TV. like literally shopping network and quiz show stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ0PxA2YAgI

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Well poo poo, guess I might have been wrong about Go getting all up in this new game. If you really have to catch duplicates and render them down to poke-soylent to level then yeah, that's pretty weak. I hope there's some clarification at e3. It's not like there's any shortage of games to look forward to anyway.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They do this thing all the time where they make the bad game first instead of after the cool game

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

to the people who have played atelier in this thread on handheld mode: does it look and run horribly to you too? I cannot tell if something is wrong with my switch or if it seriously looks/runs this bad. It looks like a janky as gently caress PS2 game. I'm normally not someone who cares about how good a game looks or runs as long as it is playable but this is really, really bad. Guess I'll save it for docked-only because the game itself is a ton of fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

to the people who have played atelier in this thread on handheld mode: does it look and run horribly to you too? I cannot tell if something is wrong with my switch or if it seriously looks/runs this bad. It looks like a janky as gently caress PS2 game. I'm normally not someone who cares about how good a game looks or runs as long as it is playable but this is really, really bad. Guess I'll save it for docked-only because the game itself is a ton of fun.

It runs that badly, you arent crazy

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

lelandjs posted:

I really don’t get why the internet is flipping over tables about LGP/E, has everyone forgotten that Gamefreak does simpler, kid-friendly spinoff games? Was everyone getting this pissed off about frigging Pokémon Rumble?

If they hadn’t already mentioned that a main series game was coming last E3 (and reconfirmed said game today) then, yeah, I could see people getting concerned.

But this is pretty obviously an attempt to translate Pokémon Go’s success into Switch sales, introduce the series to a younger audience, and of course sell games to Pokémon fans who don’t mind a slightly different experience. poo poo, it’s not even like it’s delaying the next main line game, there’s always 2-3 years between gens.

Last E3 they mentioned they were working on a core game for the switch (which, they are to be fair). They then hyped up a big announcement for a switch game and people were like oh poo poo this is the core game they were talking about.

When it's just a ugly remake of Kanto (which most people who stuck with the series are absolutely loving sick of) and the complete removal of 80% of the games features it's pretty understandable that the reaction is negative from most online outlets.

For people who ducked out of the series just as a fill in- last handful of gens have all pandered to kanto in some way shape or form. It gets name dropped all the time, all the characters in the games talk about how great it is, you're often given the kanto starters to replace your original starters. There's a lot of fanfare for it and people have been begging Gamefreak to move on and let it go as it's *always* Kanto.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Motto posted:

The most complex thing you maybe have to care about is which atk/def stat moves work off of.

What about breeding and min maxing and held items and gimmick teams? IVs and EVs? Nature and Egg moves?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Last E3 they mentioned they were working on a core game for the switch (which, they are to be fair). They then hyped up a big announcement for a switch game and people were like oh poo poo this is the core game they were talking about.

When it's just a ugly remake of Kanto (which most people who stuck with the series are absolutely loving sick of) and the complete removal of 80% of the games features it's pretty understandable that the reaction is negative from most online outlets.

For people who ducked out of the series just as a fill in- last handful of gens have all pandered to kanto in some way shape or form. It gets name dropped all the time, all the characters in the games talk about how great it is, you're often given the kanto starters to replace your original starters. There's a lot of fanfare for it and people have been begging Gamefreak to move on and let it go as it's *always* Kanto.

kirby wouldn't be this mad at video games

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Googling Pokemon Quest made me stumble upon "Pokémon Conquest, known in Japan as Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition"

Now this game would be perfect for the Switch

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

it didn't look much different in handheld to me but it ran at sub-30 framerates in many of the field areas. i appreciate that Gust were early adopters of the switch but they clearly don't have the resources to do a good port.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Anidav posted:

What about breeding and min maxing and held items and gimmick teams? IVs and EVs? Nature and Egg moves?

Are almost entirely irrelevant in single player which is what like 99+% of people play exclusively.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Your Computer posted:

kirby wouldn't be this mad at video games

Hey now, guy asked a question and I'm just answering it.

I'm personally just in the bummed out camp. I'll pass it up and just hope the core game is good :shrug:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Googling Pokemon Quest made me stumble upon "Pokémon Conquest, known in Japan as Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition"

Now this game would be perfect for the Switch
Wasn't that great

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't think there is a lot of hate for Kanto outside of weird internet communities.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lmao what. Pokemon online is huge

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Did people really believe that they were going to move from Gen 7 to Gen 8 in the span of only two years? They've never done that before, it's always been at least 3 between generations. Especially since they probably had to rebuild their whole 3D engine to work on a new console with new architecture. I'll be honest, it's surprising to me given the circumstances that we're even getting a semi-mainline game this year on Switch at all.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Anidav posted:

Lmao what. Pokemon online is huge

Not as huge as single player. The games sell millions of copies and the vast, vast majority never even connect to the online part.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

All the upset hardcore Pokémon people are still gonna buy the game once they see another trailer and realize the game isn’t going to be as ridiculously shallow as they’re imagining.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

I’m willing to wait for the inevitable 3 hour Treehouse segment that shows us exactly what the game is.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hey now, guy asked a question and I'm just answering it.

I'm personally just in the bummed out camp. I'll pass it up and just hope the core game is good :shrug:

I am a little too. I'm on the fence about Let's Go until I see some extended gameplay, but they are working on a real gen 8 game so I can't be anything but a bit disappointed.

Also I don't mind Kanto, it's just that there's so much else and it is kind of played out.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

All the upset hardcore Pokémon people are still gonna buy the game once they see another trailer and realize the game isn’t going to be as ridiculously shallow as they’re imagining.

nah, i'll just wait for whatever they make next year

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nah, probably skipping it and I'm stupidly ride or die for Pokemon poo poo. Go was my previous breaking point where I realized it was okay to just not play spinoffs that suck and this looks like reheated Go on switch.

Also 151 is the fuckin worst. Even Go isn't limited to that poo poo any more.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m gonna buy both probably. I could never stand to play long games on the DS/3DS so maybe I’ll enjoy the next core game too.:)

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Personally I'm happy about it. I'm not super into Go but my boyfriend is, it's his favorite game, he drives around going to raids and hitting Pokestops all the time and is always bugging me to start some quest to catch Mew or whatever. Every other word out of his mouth is some update or other on the game (Niantic is going to add this shiny next, the next Community Day is going to be this, blah blah blah, etc) and I couldn't care less but it makes him happy and we have fun sometimes going for walks in the park catching Pokemon. So he's going to flip over this, so I'm happy.

Also I think it's great that you can dress up Eevee! :3:

So I'm going to buy him a copy of Let's Go Pikachu and a Switch for Christmas (he doesn't have a Switch yet) and I'll take Let's Go Eevee, and I'll buy both of us a Pokeball thing, and we'll be set!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Poke good
Or
Poke bad
???

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It’s gonna be really funny if it turns out you can’t evolve Pikachu or Eevee, even though Eevee's entire gimmick is its multiple evolutions

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Zoran posted:

It’s gonna be really funny if it turns out you can’t evolve Pikachu or Eevee, even though Eevee's entire gimmick is its multiple evolutions

That'd be pretty skeevee

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Since this is the nintendo thread, I have a 30% off birthday discount to use and I'm thinking either Samus Returns or FE Echoes

The strike against Echoes is that I still haven't played Fates and I own that... so I should probably play that first

I hear people poo poo on Samus Returns but I bet it's alright

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Anidav posted:

This is in the context of kids and I beat Pokemon games without ever even looking at stats beyond "this move's number big"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Since this is the nintendo thread, I have a 30% off birthday discount to use and I'm thinking either Samus Returns or FE Echoes

The strike against Echoes is that I still haven't played Fates and I own that... so I should probably play that first

Get Samus Returns. It’s not as good as the other 2D Metroids, except the game it’s remaking, but it’s still very good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

afaik samus returns was well-received? It has some issues being the first go by a new dev that tried some new things, but it's a good game; just don't expect to mindlessly run and gun until late.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

At least it's not Amiibo Festival or Happy Home Designer!

Speaking of Animal Crossing, this latest Pokémon announcement has me pretty worried that they're gonna reveal something at E3 that just ends up being a huge supplement to Pocket Camp. I didn't mind the idea of Pocket Camp, but man did that game burn out fast as soon as I realized it went nowhere in terms of town building, character relation development, collection, milestones, and so on...

No way, Samus Returns is good.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

enojy posted:

Speaking of Animal Crossing, this latest Pokémon announcement has me pretty worried that they're gonna reveal something at E3 that just ends up being a huge supplement to Pocket Camp. I didn't mind the idea of Pocket Camp, but man did that game burn out fast as soon as I realized it went nowhere in terms of town building, character relation development, collection, milestones, and so on...

Don't worry, they added loot cookies.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The only people I've seen mad at Samus Returns are the people who were mad that it was not Super Metroid 2 and they're mad at every game for not being Super Metroid 2

Zoran posted:

It's totally gonna be this and you know it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Your Computer posted:

The only people I've seen mad at Samus Returns are the people who were mad that it was not Super Metroid 2 and they're mad at every game for not being Super Metroid 2

The problem with it is the counterattack mechanic is frankly tedious, because every enemy is designed around expecting you to stop and wait for its counter-me-now opening instead of just gunning the weaker enemies down while running by.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Your Computer posted:

Yep

Vinylshadow posted:

Some more information:

Why Eevee? One reason was that your rival in Yellow used Eevee. Also, the character has gotten massively popular over the years, and they've decided to start using him as a partner to Pikachu.

There's a special Pokemon mentioned in the trailer that Go players can meet if they link with Let's Go. It's an all-new Pokemon we've never seen before.

You will still be able to battle and trade, but you'll have to have multiple Switches for that. You can have multiple accounts on the same console however.

No plans as of now for Let's Go to use Nintendo's online service.

The 2019 games will not be follow ups to Let's Go. They'll be an all new series like X/Y and Sun/Moon.

What drove The Pokemon Company to go to the Switch instead of sticking to handheld? They view the Switch as a combo home console/handheld, so they wanted to take the good parts of the handhelds and expand on them with the Switch.

The Let's Go games are designed primarily as home console games while the 2019 games will have more of an emphasis on the handheld experience. They didn't elaborate on what that might mean.

They have other gameplay ideas regarding how Let's Go and Go will interface. Those who play both will be rewarded.

Pokemon Quest: You cannot share data across platforms, but no internet connection is required to play it.

They see the Let's Go games as the next step for players brought in by Pokemon Go to continue with the series. That's why the catching interface and models are the same.

The 2019 games, meanwhile, are what they see as their way to move the handheld experience forward, and they've been working on it since before the Switch released which is why they won't be as influenced by Go.

There are plans for the Pokeball Plus beyond Let's Go/Go. They see it as the next iteration of the Go Plus.

You will not be able to evolve your partner Pokemon, but you can catch other Eevee/Pikachu in the wild.

Your partner Pokemon will take up one slot in your party, and it can be boxed. Boxes work differently in that you now have one box in your bag.

The ability to transfer between Go/Let's Go opens up about halfway through the game, and you'll be able to do it freely after. There's also minigames if you transfer lots of Pokemon over.

Candy from Go will not do anything in Let's Go. No word if you'll be able to transfer Pokemon from Let's Go and turn them into Candy.

Any Pokemon that's large enough in Let's Go you'll be able to ride (they had the idea to let you ride Pokemon of any size but decided against it.)

Although the interface is different, you still earn EXP from catching Pokemon as well as trainer battles.

Event Pokemon in Go (Ash's Hat Pikachu) cannot be transferred to Let's Go.

The controls for catching in handheld mode will have you moving the console around and pressing the button. No touch screen and the gyro is required.

No additional details on Z-moves/Mega Evolution.

They haven't locked down how Experience from capturing/trainer battles will be distributed (evenly, per Pokemon, etc.).

Trading and battling will be available through Wi-fi and local play.

According to Masuda, as of right now, in general, only the original 150 Pokemon are available.

No details on Player customization

No going to Johto. The map of Kanto will be similar to the original landmass, but there will be geographical differences.

Although there are some Alolan forms in Let's Go, there are otherwise no connections between it and Sun/Moon.

There are once again two versions and the usual version differences (Individual Pokemon). No plot differences.

The games come out on November 16 for 60$. Pokeball Plus is about 50$.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem with it is the counterattack mechanic is frankly tedious, because every enemy is designed around expecting you to stop and wait for its counter-me-now opening instead of just gunning the weaker enemies down while running by.

It’s only like that for maybe the first 4th of the game. After that it’s pretty much only a thing to do on bosses.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

quote:

Any Pokemon that's large enough in Let's Go you'll be able to ride (they had the idea to let you ride Pokemon of any size but decided against it.)

No fun allowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fawf posted:

No fun allowed

But the trailer showed you can ride Onix. Isn’t that the biggest the original 151?

• Locked thread