Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Arghy posted:

What. My game just turned itself off, no crash or anything just pop i'm on desktop haha.

I get that when I'm playing a large map on a computer that can't handle it and the game tries to auto-save.

Can't play huge galaxies past about 2275 on my laptop before it starts to poo poo the bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

No I turn them off and max gates.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Am I weird for turning wormhole generation off? Am I missing out on much? They just seem to have had dumb interactions with empires thinking they're bordering you by being connected via wormhole, and are otherwise just bad gateways but unbuildable.

I like them and play with more than the default as a means for either setting up ways for me to cross my vast empire as I expand before gateways become feasible or as a means to allow another way for any empire to expand if they're boxed in by Fallen Empires/other threats or just friendly neighbors. They're not "bad gateways" just by virtue of being available long before you can get gateways.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hate wormholes, they confuse my brain and make wars upsetting. Need a set 2d front my simple mind can handle, so turn them off.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I use wormholes basically as a supplement to my gateway network, I'll build gateways next to any wormhole and fortify the system.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

I get that when I'm playing a large map on a computer that can't handle it and the game tries to auto-save.

Can't play huge galaxies past about 2275 on my laptop before it starts to poo poo the bed.

I got an overclocked quad i7 haha my CPU should totally be able to handle it though only 8 gigs of ram. Kinda glad as i only had about 8k fleet power and i had greedily claimed most of the L gates system haha guessing the 2 star fortresses i built on either end wouldn't have done me any good.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Wormholes are neat to shake things up a little in the mid game when empires get new routes for expansion or federations. Also in the endgame when the Unbidden show up on top of a cluster of wormhole systems and suddenly they're expanding in three different parts of the galaxy simultaneously.

Gateways are real good too but a hell of a lot more expensive to activate, I'm operating at a 1.0-1.5k per month mineral income right now and still can't quite run enough surplus to set up more gates while dealing with these Unbidden fleets.

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

Black Pants posted:

Am I weird for turning wormhole generation off? Am I missing out on much? They just seem to have had dumb interactions with empires thinking they're bordering you by being connected via wormhole, and are otherwise just bad gateways but unbuildable.

I lower their spawn rate, so there's usually 2 pairs, I like the early game travel they offer, having my empire expand in 2 sectors can be very good an very bad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wandering wormholes would be fun. You could have two linked wormholes but they wander around space through hyperlanes on their own at a very slow rate.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wandering wormholes would be fun. You could have two linked wormholes but they wander around space through hyperlanes on their own at a very slow rate.

That reminds me a bit of the wormhole system in Stars!, wormholes would appear as very stable, getting more unstable over time and each end moving around more as they got more and more unstable until they just collapsed.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
So if I'm declaring war on someone with the vassalize CB and they have a defensive ally, do I have to invade all the planets of the defensive ally too? That's really loving bothersome. I've been slowly whittling down my southern neighbor all game hoping I could vassalize him eventually but it appears I can't now without invading twenty more planets.

When I settled for status quo instead it took some systems but not others, of both the war target and the defensive ally. I don't get how war works I guess?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
When you do Status Quo you get any systems you have both claimed AND occupied. So if you occupied any unclaimed systems, you don't get them. If you claimed any systems and didn't manage to occupy them, you don't get them. However, if another empire has claimed them (and put more claims on them than you, you can see that in the claims UI by the system having an icon other than yours) you won't get them because you don't have -enough- of a claim on it. It's weird, yes.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I don't know what happened, but this combat report says I had 154,674 corvettes in my fleet. :stare:

Gay Horney posted:

So if I'm declaring war on someone with the vassalize CB and they have a defensive ally, do I have to invade all the planets of the defensive ally too? That's really loving bothersome. I've been slowly whittling down my southern neighbor all game hoping I could vassalize him eventually but it appears I can't now without invading twenty more planets.

When I settled for status quo instead it took some systems but not others, of both the war target and the defensive ally. I don't get how war works I guess?

You don't have to invade the ally unless you need extra war score. Depending on the war goal it may be necessary, vassalization is one that needs a lot of war score so you probably will need to.

Status Quo peace means end things as they are right now with systems staying under the control of whoever currently has them. It's not the same as a white peace.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Jabarto posted:

The aliens in question did not, in fact, have the Delicious trait. Please fix this glaring omission.

The Delicious trait is purely a result of extremely advanced genetic engineering, and some people just aren't into GMOs.

Black Pants posted:

Nah, I do this too, because every time I had them turned on I inevitably got one that went straight to a Xenophobe FE. Probably not an issue now, but I prefer gates anyway since they don't just let anyone through like wormholes do. Naturally, this made discovering the wormhole leading to the solitary system in Distant Stars quite the surprise.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 30, 2018

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'll be damned. I had claimed them but they double claimed them. My war score for acceptance was - 700 or something because I was claiming unoccupied systems, but I had occupied all of the systems of the war target and all the claimed systems of the ally as well. At that point I just status quo'd

https://youtu.be/0RKDifoyra8

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The new patch should let you vassalise a country in one go via Status Quoing when you have all the systems you want, regardless of whethet you've occupied allies. It's a rather strong CB as a result, as you don't need to make claims.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
You know you overdosed on Stellaris when The Contingency invades your house in a dream, and you have to park all your fleets on the staircase...

Thank the gods they're fixing that 'display lower fleet power' bug. The drat thing cost me over 600 naval capacity in a single battle

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'd love an Eve Online midgame crisis where the wormhole snaps shut and the orphaned colonies are plunged into a dark age. No idea how you would implement it without just punching the player in the dick though... :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Pretty sure wormhole collapse was the origin of the plot for Planetside, as well. Wonder how prevalent that plot trigger is.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Pretty sure wormhole collapse was the origin of the plot for Planetside, as well. Wonder how prevalent that plot trigger is.

Travel mechanism being rendered inoperative forcing survivors to make their way in a new environment? Pretty prevalent, I'd say.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swiss_Family_Robinson

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I meant the whole wormhole style in particular.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I want to deport these fleshbags on the planets I conquer and they won't loving leave (because everyone else's planets are full by lategame?). The refugee migration system might as well not exist if it never actually works.

Guess they're getting melted down for energy credits. :confuoot:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

isndl posted:

I want to deport these fleshbags on the planets I conquer and they won't loving leave (because everyone else's planets are full by lategame?). The refugee migration system might as well not exist if it never actually works.

Displacement purges still work if the refugees have nowhere to go, they just eventually "vanish into unknown regions" by event. It takes a while though: if you're in a hurry, just murder them and take the additional diplomatic consequences for that (assuming you care about those since it sounds like you're playing some kind of robot).

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Hunt11 posted:

Fallen Empires can awaken on their own.

Additionally sometimes they get a hate boner for you. Like in the current MP game we're doing three of us in a federation have all synthetically ascended and the spiritualist FE constantly threatens to humiliate us. We just tipped over to the point where we can slap them in the face long enough to get 10 years of peace and quiet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I hadn't even found the spiritualist FE fucks before I ascended in my second game and so when I did they just kept declaring war on me every ten years and I'd just immediately surrender and my pops would be unhappy perpetually

Eventually kicked their asses of course, and it was supremely satisfying to do so

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Aethernet posted:

The new patch should let you vassalise a country in one go via Status Quoing when you have all the systems you want, regardless of whethet you've occupied allies. It's a rather strong CB as a result, as you don't need to make claims.

Does this create an independent nation or do you just straight up vassalize whatever you happen to chop off? Because if so that should allow us to go back to the independence war > make vassal > integrate vassal exploit I thought they wanted to fix so you couldn't just cheese your way around generating a massive amount of threat.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
It was great when the spiritualist FE declared war on me for switching to robot bodies, I lost the first war and got humiliated but killed enough of their ships to generate debris and salvaged their tech. Round two went very poorly for them.

In my current game I failed to notice a wormhole pairing in the middle of my territory linked to a country that just submitted to the great Khan. I just started fortifying all my borders to a ridiculous degree only for him to pop in with a 50k combined fleet three jumps from my homeworld, time to see if 40K plus an immature L-Drake can kill the Khan before the fleets are wiped out.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Does this create an independent nation or do you just straight up vassalize whatever you happen to chop off? Because if so that should allow us to go back to the independence war > make vassal > integrate vassal exploit I thought they wanted to fix so you couldn't just cheese your way around generating a massive amount of threat.

If you declare with the Vassalise you get a vassal from what you've chopped off. This does create lots of threat, however. Liberated nations have a big debuff against vassalmaking. Cheese moved.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Ah, okay so they kept the cool down at least for doing a Status Quo so you can't just cop out and start carving pieces off without reprecussion. I was worried every war may just end with people asking for more than they wanted but peacing out once they got what they were actually after.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

kiss me Pikachu posted:

In my current game I failed to notice a wormhole pairing in the middle of my territory linked to a country that just submitted to the great Khan. I just started fortifying all my borders to a ridiculous degree only for him to pop in with a 50k combined fleet three jumps from my homeworld, time to see if 40K plus an immature L-Drake can kill the Khan before the fleets are wiped out.

Yeah basically you have to treat every wormhole as another border system chokepoint.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
...As a materialist cyborg empire, why is my reply to another empire embracing cybernetics 'Disconcerting.'?

Also I tab out of the game a lot, and it's really annoying when I click back into the window because an event has popped up, and the act of clicking somewhere other than the event window closes it with no way to bring it back. Can that be fixed?

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 30, 2018

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
They use the wrong endianness.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

The thing with the races of "we hate everyone else and are always total war" is they get a bunch of REALLY strong bonuses right at the start, and if you don't leverage that into a proper snowball then of course you're going to get wrecked by events. Take advantage of your expanded fleet size and stronger fleets to utilize 0 influence cost wars to grow stupid fast. By the time the Khan fires you should be in a position to at least turtle up and fight him at the very least (unless you got a crazy bad enemy empire generation and they rush a big federation against you).

Restarted and prioritzed hitting fleet cap with corvettes over literally anything else. One empire down so far...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

They use the wrong endianness.

Those monsters!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Finally got to research Synthetics! :buddy:

But it took long enough that I'd repaired four Ringworld sections and built a Colossus. :negative:

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Found a shielded planet with some kind of a temporal field inside, that was replaying some race's rise and fall, over and over, on fast forward. Felt bad for the fellows and decided to pop them out and now I'm bordering cute gecko fanatic purifiers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You feelin' alright there, Worm?

Delayed, but why did you tell it no.

The worm loves you.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

iospace posted:

Delayed, but why did you tell it no.

The worm loves you.

The Worm is a false prophet.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Worm is a false prophet.

You should learn to love the Worm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I still never research synths because I hate that they auto "upgrade" all my droids. I want droids AND synths!