Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Azran posted:

Can I keep playing my PC account on PS4 or are those platforms separate?

They're not separate, only the amount of vbucks you have is, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Little Bitch Man posted:

They're not separate, only the amount of vbucks you have is, I believe.

Even then, all purchases share across all platforms.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Pubg is suing Epic in Korea over Fortnite, that's some salt.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Pubg is trash lmao: unoptimized, buggy, loot crate microtransactions, generic gameplay and aesthetics, costs $30.

Seriously, I'm glad Fortnite brought in a fresh look and concept to the genre.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Otoh Epic is kind of trash too for stringing along a decent multiplayer survival game concept for 6 years and functionally abandoning it at the finish line to rip off another idea after taking money from a bunch of people for the other thing. I got no love for either side.

They've been updating it but compared to where it was almost a full year ago it's the same broken rear end unfinished game. Now with hoverboards.

E: that isn't to say I think PUBG is at all in the right or deserves to be. Fortnite BR was an amazingly adept pivot for Epic and someone definitely made the right call of the century for them as a company in doing what they did.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 29, 2018

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

FNBR and StW are two separate dev teams as of like, March. They got up to full manpower when Paragon was shut down. iirc the only crossover between the two are similar story elements and asset sharing

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

E: nvm

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 29, 2018

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

AAB posted:

FNBR and StW are two separate dev teams as of like, March. They got up to full manpower when Paragon was shut down. iirc the only crossover between the two are similar story elements and asset sharing

Bit late if you ask me. Can't say I blame them to follow the money, but a lovely move nonetheless.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So does anybody know anything about Korean IP law? I couldn't possibly see this suit being viable in the States, but maybe the boundaries of what is copyrightable are really broad in Korea.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What are they claiming is their copyright?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Little Bitch Man posted:

Pubg is trash lmao: unoptimized, buggy, loot crate microtransactions, generic gameplay and aesthetics, costs $30.

Seriously, I'm glad Fortnite brought in a fresh look and concept to the genre.

And yet finding a group of goons to play a match of pubg is a painless effort while the goon Fortnite Discord is mostly people missing each other by hours to play games together :(

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Neon Belly posted:

And yet finding a group of goons to play a match of pubg is a painless effort while the goon Fortnite Discord is mostly people missing each other by hours to play games together :(

Goons didn't mind paying 10 bucks for posting on a lovely forum, so won't mind paying for a game as much. Well that and it was the best BR game (the only one worth naming even) on the market for a while.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Didn't PUBG already try to sue Fortnite once?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

They grumbled about it back in September but most of their complaints seemed to be regarding unspecified marketing materials where Epic mentioned PUBG by name.

I believe the initial unsubstantiated concern was that Epic had somehow used knowledge gleaned from communicating with the PUBG devs over use of the Unreal Engine (Epic's primary bread and butter has been creating and supporting UE). Their original whining was based upon the conflict of interest present when the developer of the engine they use becomes their primary competitor.

All of it is laughable because PUBG didn't invent its own idea or even perfect it.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 29, 2018

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Shere posted:

They grumbled about it back in September but most of their complaints seemed to be regarding unspecified marketing materials where Epic mentioned PUBG by name.

I believe the initial unsubstantiated concern was that Epic had somehow used knowledge gleaned from communicating with the PUBG devs over use of the Unreal Engine (Epic's primary bread and butter has been creating and supporting UE). Their original whining was based upon the conflict of interest present when the developer of the engine they use becomes their primary competitor.

All of it is laughable because PUBG didn't invent its own idea or even perfect it.

Eh, one could argue they did. Not PUBG itself, but Player Unknown. Whether laws agree with that is something I don't have the slighest clue about. I'm definitely curious what the outcome will be though, I'm sure Bluehole thinks they have a near 100% chance to win it, otherwise I doubt they'd even try it against Epic/Tencent.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
You hit the point then missed it. PUBG not being original is not relevant to a court if the issue is Epic having exploiting privileged information or some other issue with their relationship.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Carecat posted:

You hit the point then missed it. PUBG not being original is not relevant to a court if the issue is Epic having exploiting privileged information or some other issue with their relationship.

Naw it's some 'the ui is similar' levels of BS.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I mean, if their angle of attack winds up being that the two games have similar high concepts, I don't see how they go anywhere with that. PU isn't the progenitor of the idea and all of the similar elements harken from other games, aside from maybe the shrinking arena.

If they have substantive evidence that Epic used their role as proprietor of UE to either plagiarize or give themselves a conflict-of-interest advantage, it's another story and they deserve to be screwed for that.

Either way they haven't released their claims in detail yet, so the first blush read is "they did our game and made it more popular" and it's definitely funny.

e: I'm do not think Epic are exactly innocent, at least in the ethical sense. I don't exactly have a great opinion of them as a developer as I stated before on this page. I just think that if Bluehole had something we would have heard about it months ago.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 29, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Shere posted:

It wasn't unspecified. The blog announcement for Fortnite BR literally said something like "we've been playing PUBG so much and like PUBG so much that we decided to make our own Fortnite version of PUBG". Which I can see ruffling some feathers when all that name dropping is in service of hyping up a competing game and all but admitting they're ripping it off.

But the article I read claimed they were once again trying to claim infringement on frivolous bullshit like items and UI, some of the worst possible angles to come at them from. So add SCARs and uh, IDK, maps? To things PUBG apparently invented, next to shipping containers and frying pans.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Shere posted:

I mean, if their angle of attack winds up being that the two games have similar high concepts, I don't see how they go anywhere with that. PU isn't the progenitor of the idea and all of the similar elements harken from other games, aside from maybe the shrinking arena.

If they have substantive evidence that Epic used their role as proprietor of UE to either plagiarize or give themselves a conflict-of-interest advantage, it's another story and they deserve to be screwed for that.

Either way they haven't released their claims in detail yet, so the first blush read is "they did our game and made it more popular" and it's definitely funny.

e: I'm do not think Epic are exactly innocent, at least in the ethical sense. I don't exactly have a great opinion of them as a developer as I stated before on this page. I just think that if Bluehole had something we would have heard about it months ago.

Agreed. Although I'm guessing it takes a lot of times to properly gather and document all evidence and pass it around. But yeah, I agree with most of your points. Although I think it's a little more than just a shrinking arena. Not a whole lot more, though.

Seeing as Epic staff directly helped PUBG staff with troubleshooting things a while ago (a year or so iirc), it wouldn't surprise me if it is indeed about plagiarizing work. Time will tell though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Neon Belly posted:

Yeah I don't get it. Are any of the old tf2 goons playing Fortnite? All the ones on my friends list are still playing PUBG.

SkyLander
Dec 27, 2007

It's kind of funny that Tencent owns 48% of epic and I think all of PUBG? So....it's like sub companies suing themselves?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

SkyLander posted:

It's kind of funny that Tencent owns 48% of epic and I think all of PUBG? So....it's like sub companies suing themselves?

Nah they own like 5-10% of PUBG. Not sure if that includes the PUBG Mobile thing. They own a shitload of Epic though, the main reason why the start of StW was so poo poo. Or that's the running theory anyway.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Shopping carts tomorrow :getin:

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1001605285180592128?s=19

PvE is supposed to get the extra skill points, right? Gonna be neat as well.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Seditiar posted:

Challenges arent unlocked until the 31st too.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Watching goons try to armchair lawyer video game IP law is hilarious.

The state of game IP law is actually remarkably sane for the US. A game creator does not hold a copyright on game mechanics. However they do hold a copyright on the expression of those mechanics. One recent example: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/273935/Texas_court_affirms_game_mechanics_not_protected_under_copyright_law.php

For example, Namco owns Pacman, but they do not own the genre of maze chase games. You can make a maze chase game, where you play a character collecting things in a maze while being chased by enemies, hundreds of games matching this description were made in the 80s. But you cannot make a game where you play a round yellow thing in a blue maze being chased by ghosts. There is no hard line where one crosses from non-infringing to infringing. Are the movement algorithms of the ghosts non-copyrightable game mechanics, or a copyrightable expression of the game mechanics? That's up to the jury in a hypothetical court case.

So is Fortnite infringing on PUBG's expression of the BR genre's game mechanics? Maybe, but I'd say no, and Epic's and PUBG's lawyers seem to agree as there is no US-based lawsuit. The art style is wildly different, the weapons are different, Fortnite has no armor mechanic. I don't think a casual observer (the jury) would say that Fortnite copied PUBG's expression.

Compare that to the "frying pan" lawsuit someone mentioned above: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/pubg-creators-finally-decide-a-copycat-game-has-gone-too-far-file-suit/ Many of the artistic decisions are identical: ammo drops with red crates with green tarps, nearly one-for-one copies of buildings, the decision to have a frying pan melee weapon. They're not suing because it's another BR game, but they're suing because they ripped off PUBG's expression. They're not suing because the game used a frying pan weapon, but they're using that as one piece of evidence to show infringement of expression, among many other pieces.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 30, 2018

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Feel free to add me as well if you're playing Fortnite, I've got a battle pass, though I only started playing about two weeks ago. If you don't mind teaming up with a noob, count me in!

Tar Squid on Epic

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Seditiar posted:

What is the extra skill points thing? I looked at a 4.3 thread on reddit and didn’t see that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ColdPie posted:

The state of game IP law is actually remarkably sane for the US. A game creator does not hold a copyright on game mechanics. However they do hold a copyright on the expression of those mechanics. One recent example: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/273935/Texas_court_affirms_game_mechanics_not_protected_under_copyright_law.php

For example, Namco owns Pacman, but they do not own the genre of maze chase games. You can make a maze chase game, where you play a character collecting things in a maze while being chased by enemies, hundreds of games matching this description were made in the 80s. But you cannot make a game where you play a round yellow thing in a blue maze being chased by ghosts. There is no hard line where one crosses from non-infringing to infringing. Are the movement algorithms of the ghosts non-copyrightable game mechanics, or a copyrightable expression of the game mechanics? That's up to the jury in a hypothetical court case.

So is Fortnite infringing on PUBG's expression of the BR genre's game mechanics? Maybe, but I'd say no, and Epic's and PUBG's lawyers seem to agree as there is no US-based lawsuit. The art style is wildly different, the weapons are different, Fortnite has no armor mechanic. I don't think a casual observer (the jury) would say that Fortnite copied PUBG's expression.

Compare that to the "frying pan" lawsuit someone mentioned above: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/pubg-creators-finally-decide-a-copycat-game-has-gone-too-far-file-suit/ Many of the artistic decisions are identical: ammo drops with red crates with green tarps, nearly one-for-one copies of buildings, the decision to have a frying pan melee weapon. They're not suing because it's another BR game, but they're suing because they ripped off PUBG's expression. They're not suing because the game used a frying pan weapon, but they're using that as one piece of evidence to show infringement of expression, among many other pieces.

I was mostly being flippant, though the shipping yard with cargo containers thing still sticks out from that lawsuit. I do otherwise generally agree that in cases where people are trying to get away with copycat GamerUnidentified's Battle Royale games, they have every right to chase after them. That said, in the grander scheme of things, while Epic's hands aren't necessarily clean I have zero respect for PUBG because its CEO openly said he wanted to be able to trademark game mechanics in the most obvious case of :qq: ever.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

stuxracer posted:

What is the extra skill points thing? I looked at a 4.3 thread on reddit and didn’t see that.

There was a finite number of skill points for the skill tree you could farm in Fortnite's Save the World mode.

This isn't disclosed anywhere and if you don't know that you might run out of skill points before you can critical things like being able to upgrade certain weapons/characters to the highest level/rank.

Meaning if you ignored, for instance, the rank/tier upgrades for pistols because you thought you could just get it later, your pistols will literally be worthless endgame because you ran out of the aforementioned and completely undisclosed limited number of skill points.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

lovely Wizard posted:

There was a finite number of skill points for the skill tree you could farm in Fortnite's Save the World mode.

This isn't disclosed anywhere and if you don't know that you might run out of skill points before you can critical things like being able to upgrade certain weapons/characters to the highest level/rank.

Meaning if you ignored, for instance, the rank/tier upgrades for pistols because you thought you could just get it later, your pistols will literally be worthless endgame because you ran out of the aforementioned and completely undisclosed limited number of skill points.
Haha holy poo poo that is terrible. I’ve maxed out each tier and about to move to tier4. That would have been a nasty surprise when I couldn’t buy things.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ColdPie posted:

The state of game IP law is actually remarkably sane for the US.

Ok but the lawsuit was filed in South Korea

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Two business getting into a bunch of litigation overseas for a number different of things seems kind of normal? Like Apple and Samsung! That's the only example I got...

But I don't think it's worth fussing over.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prom candy posted:

Yeah I don't get it. Are any of the old tf2 goons playing Fortnite? All the ones on my friends list are still playing PUBG.

What’s there not to get? Goons on the whole are bunch of old grognards, so they have a natural allergic reaction to a game that looks like for children and introduces bunch of radically new mechanics.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
And yet tf2 was hugely popular for years here

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What’s there not to get? Goons on the whole are bunch of old grognards, so they have a natural allergic reaction to a game that looks like for children and introduces bunch of radically new mechanics.

I'm old and haven't really played a shooter since quake2 and I don't think the mechanics are that radical.

I mean other than your bullets tend go in random directions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Withnail posted:

I'm old and haven't really played a shooter since quake2 and I don't think the mechanics are that radical.

I mean other than your bullets tend go in random directions.

A huge swathes of people are screeching mad about building.

prom candy posted:

And yet tf2 was hugely popular for years here

That was when, 10 years ago?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, the building mechanic in the game is what sets it apart from pretty much everything else. Plenty of people hate it. I think it makes the game fun as gently caress, especially when you get a good enough grasp on it to edge out 1v1s in build battles. I feel like I'm playing some crazy hybrid shooter puzzle game when I'm going up against someone else who also knows how to build.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

teagone posted:

Yeah, the building mechanic in the game is what sets it apart from pretty much everything else. Plenty of people hate it. I think it makes the game fun as gently caress, especially when you get a good enough grasp on it to edge out 1v1s in build battles. I feel like I'm playing some crazy hybrid shooter puzzle game when I'm going up against someone else who also knows how to build.

:agreed:

I love getting into a building match with someone and feeling completely clueless when they outbuild me. Like, yeah, it sucks to get shotgunned on the top of my dome, but also that moment of pausing and being like "gently caress did he really just build a pyramid on top of me then stairs and a floor the opposite direction cause he anticipated my build?!" feels really fuckin great.

Goddamn I can't wait till the hell that is moving to my new apartment is over so I can have some more BR time :sigh: How many more days are in this season? I was confident at the beginning I'd be able to hit lvl 100 no prob, but I'm coming up on 2 weeks of not playing, and it's looking like it may be a full month, which means I may not make it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

shopping carts own
blitz being back owns

5x20 is v meh

but the PVE stuff, now this I can get into