Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Has anyone ever bought and built one of those guitar kits off eBay? I see they have Steinberger knock-offs and I thought maybe it'd be a fun side project to learn how these things work and how to solder, etc. I could also have my own sick paint job, :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

Has anyone ever bought and built one of those guitar kits off eBay? I see they have Steinberger knock-offs and I thought maybe it'd be a fun side project to learn how these things work and how to solder, etc. I could also have my own sick paint job, :hellyeah:
Isn't that how Bill Nash basically started?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i picked one up from amazon, not ebay, but it seems alright. i've barely worked on it, though—i don't own much woodworking stuff, so i've been working on it at my parents' place across the state and i only see them/it every couple months.

this guy's video series has been a good reference to go off of, imo (although the audio quality is pretty bad)

also, agreed that 13 chambers mashup is p good

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

The battery is one of those watch batteries that you house in the hollowed out area for the wires/knobs and poo poo, so you just open that to swap it out.

Oh OK. That makes sense.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Today some weirdos were yelling at me on facebook for calling AC/DC Australian. They were really mad about them not being considered Scottish. People are weird. :shrug:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
those people need jesus

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

brian johnson's english, I don't think anyone who's been in the band hasn't been australian or english, where the gently caress are they getting scotland from

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hexwren posted:

brian johnson's english, I don't think anyone who's been in the band hasn't been australian or english, where the gently caress are they getting scotland from

Bagpipes.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

s.i.r.e. posted:

I bought a Tele kit from eBay for $65 back in November, and I had a lot of fun figuring out how to put it all together. It took about a month to complete, but you could do it a lot faster if you wanted. I had zero woodworking or soldering experience, and it was frustrating at times, but there's a video on youtube for every issue you might come across.

I spent about thirty extra dollars on paint, primer, clear coat, different grades of sandpaper and a new nut. You could probably find a used knockoff for around the same price, but it was a fun experience, and I know that any problems with the guitar are my fault and can be fixed in the future.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

prefect posted:

Bagpipes.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

those people need jesus

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

hexwren posted:

Bon was born in Scotland and lived there until he was 6.

Counterpoint: he wasn't in AC/DC when he was 6 and no one thinks of AC/DC as a Scottish band who isn't a goddamn moron (or a wee daft oval office, if you prefer)

Also: who gives a poo poo (or a shite, if you prefer)

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 29, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I might be tired or something but the idea that there’s people who think AC/DC is a Scottish band is loving hilarious to me right now

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Brian Johnson lives in Florida now, so he's ours. gently caress off.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Not off ebay, but I've finished 4 kits from here: https://www.pitbullguitars.com/ If you need advice, their forum has friendly, knowledgeable people. I started with zero woodworking and soldering skills and learned as I went, and it was heaps of fun.

Couple things:

It's not that hard, but it's not that easy either.

Do a dry run assembly and measure everything carefully. Getting the scale length right is super important, as is placing the bridge squarely. Dry run. Measure. Repeat.

You will sand until your arms drop off, and you will be about 1/8th of the way done with sanding.

After you buy sandpaper, paint/stain, topcoat stuff, polishing stuff etc, it's not all that much cheaper than just buying a cheap second hand guitar. If you you replace the pickups, tuners, nut, etc like you'll probably eventually want to, it's not cheaper at all.

You will probably gently caress up and not know how to fix it at least once. Nearly everything's salvageable though, unless you do something like snap the neck in half. Even gluing a set neck in wrong is apparently fixable, with time and effort.

It really is heaps of fun, but it's kinda addictive. I just wanted a tele, and now I've got a tele, an LP, an ES335, a jazz bass converted to fretless, and I'm building another tele.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 29, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress Your Website posted:

Bon was born in Scotland and lived there until he was 6.

the youngs were born in scotland too

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the youngs were born in scotland too

You're right but they didn't play bagpipes onstage so they are clearly ashamed of that part of their heritage.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, a few months ago, I found out about this group on FB that specialized in "Extended-range Lefty Guitars and Basses" (some of which is middle-of-the-road Stupid Music poo poo, but still nothing compared to the PRS Guitars and Mesa Boogie Owner groups). And while I've always been reluctant wrt facebook groups, it turned out to be less of a pain than I thought. Through coincidence, I found out that the admin of the group was moving out and he needed some moolah, so he was selling a chunk of his guitars

After talking with the guy for like a weekend about a month ago, I got him to sell me this:

... for around $800 bucks. The guitar arrived to McAllen on the 17th and I was able to go pick it up a week later before the memorial weekend started. It's the goofiest-looking guitar I've ever bought. It's also so stupidly easy and comfortable to play, that it's making me want to sell every other guitar I have except for my LTD Stephen Carpenter, my Larrivée RS and my PRS SE. It plays better than all, with maybe the exception being the Larrivée.

I also think it's dumb that, despite looking like it's distorting itself from whichever angle you look at it, I actually like how it looks. Is there a cure for me, goons? Am I doomed to become a... ugh... :barf: djentleman? Is this how it ends?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Seriously what do you play on that?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Honestly? I've been mostly practicing my finger-picking. :cheeky:

I used to play classical guitar, but after I started playing electric, I mostly stopped, but with a neck this big, I feel so confident in playing some flamenco and merengue. :)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

all the sweeps

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yup I dig it. Looks fun to play.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'd never heard the phrase "electric ukulele" in my life until I clicked on this CL ad.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I had a dream that had the a banjolele in it. Turns out that's a real thing. Did I read that word somewhere like here?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dean guitars might be cheating, but take a look at this ukulele: http://www.deanguitars.com/query?upc=814064022768

Also, I love that they have a guitar for those people who can't decide between sg and explorer: http://www.deanguitars.com/subcategory?series=splittail_series

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Plz post video playing ur flamenco-djent guitar. 😘

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUSJfCT4q2E

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BonHair posted:

Dean guitars might be cheating, but take a look at this ukulele: http://www.deanguitars.com/query?upc=814064022768

god drat

shame i don’t like playing uke :(

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Oh come on now really?

http://www.cuntz-guitars.de/index.php

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Do they make a pink 'hello pussy' guitar?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I've seen a few Cuntz on stage before

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I mean with a last name like that, it's either become a luthier or a obstetrician.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
A shame the headstock has his A logo, not his last name.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

And now, the Homer guitar

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Chrpno posted:

And now, the Homer guitar

Still needs a bubble top and tail fins.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
mods plz rename me Tom Hess Guitar Sex Master Class - How To Play Guitar Solos That Sound Like Pure Sexual Pleasure And Make Women Crazy

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I was searching reverb for green pickups (as you do) and came across these lime-green P90s, and once again I'm a little stumped as to who the target audience is. I figured bright green pickups were mostly for dudes in death metal bands. Do doom guys like P90s?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

I was searching reverb for green pickups (as you do) and came across these lime-green P90s, and once again I'm a little stumped as to who the target audience is. I figured bright green pickups were mostly for dudes in death metal bands. Do doom guys like P90s?
It's only natural. After Purple, Green is the 2nd best color in existence. :mmmsmug:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Death metal guitars come in any color you want so long as it's black.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Death metal Left-handed guitars come in any color you want so long as it's black.

Playing left hand path, on a left-handed guitar though :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

Yes. Source: me and my P90s.

Also:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 1, 2018