Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Great update as usual. I personally wished there were more of these dungeon missions in the canon game, they were fun. Although giving you a Paladin from the start in some of them would make them easier.

Again, we have altered drawings to include the original characters. Much appreciated! Do you mind showing off how you do those at some point like you did with the other original drawings? It would be cool to see.

Me, I was sniping through this mission with the Trolls and Death Knight hoping the enemies never got to me constantly. It was fun if you like challenges, I guess.

And thanks for showing me how to handle that drat Mage with the fireballs on the island. I spent so many attempts trying to take him out! Finally I just avoided him, if I remember correctly.

You can also try to go back and take out the prison guards after you beat feet. I did that with Death & Decay once my new troops weren't in the way any longer.

Fudge Paladins. So many runs scrapped to them. Although you can still kill the Daemon with massed Trolls, so it's not the end of the world. Just the loss of your best heavy hitter. :sigh:

Death & Decay makes things so much easier. The Catapult Death Wagon does too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

achtungnight posted:

Again, we have altered drawings to include the original characters. Much appreciated! Do you mind showing off how you do those at some point like you did with the other original drawings? It would be cool to see.

Sure thing! I really enjoy these little miscellaneous "updates," so having another one to fill in the rest of the week is always good.

achtungnight posted:

Fudge Paladins. So many runs scrapped to them. Although you can still kill the Daemon with massed Trolls, so it's not the end of the world. Just the loss of your best heavy hitter. :sigh:

I think the most painful run I had was making it all the way to the Runestones and using the death wagon on the elves before the daemon. In the chaos I didn't even see or hear the paladin exorcise my death knight. I wish I still had the footage of me panning the camera around wildly looking for where he went.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

That's some way to pronounce Sargeras, alright.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
And thus, Mag'fon learned that there are actually some groups worse than Nigel's to be stuck with.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

And thus, Mag'fon learned that there are actually some groups worse than Nigel's to be stuck with.

So much for his dreams of a spinoff, then.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm surprised that Mag'fon was so grossed out by cannibalism, forest trolls are generally a-okay with that aren't they?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm surprised that Mag'fon was so grossed out by cannibalism, forest trolls are generally a-okay with that aren't they?

Dat be jungle trolls, mon.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

NewMars posted:

Imagine warcraft 1 without needing control held down to drag-select. :allears:

It would still be utterly unplayable, but still!

googling shows that someone made a port to wc3 on hiveworkshop. So its warcraft 1 with the warcraft 3 interface. They use custom models and some (I assume, I only played wc2 and they sounded like that) wc1 sounds from trying out the first human mission. The stats seem to be ported over too.

Hive is pretty nostalgic to me, but I never knew they hosted custom campaigns.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
We are officially getting into the more frustrating levels of Beyond the Dark Portal. All this stuff up until now? Prologue. I took the small gap to hammer away at some missions and (more importantly) to spend a weekend making all those little sprites. I'm hoping that I can finish up the orc campaign without having to take another gap, but if I do, rest assured that I'll toss up something to fill in the time.

That said, we are hopefully a month out from the best BtDP hero.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Do Troll Axethrowers have HP regeneration, or is it just upgraded Berserkers? It's been too long to remember.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Just beserkers.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
That mission is really weird and annoying. I kind of wish they gave you Teron Gorefiend instead of a generic death knight since he can survive an exorcism, though having the mission fail if he dies could also be a problem. I suppose that's a potential use of raise dead in this mission: having the skeletons take exorcisms so the death knight doesn't have to, as well as generally being fodder. Of course, every skeleton raised means more time waiting to cast death and decay.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

lobster22221 posted:

googling shows that someone made a port to wc3 on hiveworkshop. So its warcraft 1 with the warcraft 3 interface. They use custom models and some (I assume, I only played wc2 and they sounded like that) wc1 sounds from trying out the first human mission. The stats seem to be ported over too.

Hive is pretty nostalgic to me, but I never knew they hosted custom campaigns.

Just installed it :woop:

Holy crap is it a lot harder than I remember :psyduck:

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

I like how all the skeletons in the mission are affiliated with Lordaeron. Always forgot about that. And yeah, skeletons shine on this mission - or actually plenty of them - by being bait for Paladins. They just love exorcising whatever they can, leaving them without anything for healing.

Azzur posted:

I think the most painful run I had was making it all the way to the Runestones and using the death wagon on the elves before the daemon. In the chaos I didn't even see or hear the paladin exorcise my death knight. I wish I still had the footage of me panning the camera around wildly looking for where he went.

Well, I can give my rough interpretation of what I imagine it was like, brought to you in part by MS Paint.

: (Where is he, where is he!?)

: That takes of that. Now, where did that Bloodreaver go?

: Huh. One o' dem glowin' eyes musta snuck by an' got'em.

: HAHAHA! THAT IS VERY CONVENIENT!

: No, no, no, no, no! That is VERY inconvenient!

: Go back and do it again, this time with LESS RAGNOK DYING!

Which reminds me, regardless of this actually being the reason for restarting or not - have you ever had to redo a mission because what panned out in gameplay didn't fit with the plot you had in mind?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Save early and save often, in multiple slots. :v:

Loel posted:

Just installed it :woop:

Holy crap is it a lot harder than I remember :psyduck:
The old games are a lot harder since they're suddenly using the War3 AI. Also the whole physics thing working differently. For example the trick to always win a 1v1 naval fight in War2 doesn't really work, the AI will focus fire and won't just madly charge into your prepared line in small groups if you aggro them in a particular way.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

Save early and save often, in multiple slots. :v:

The old games are a lot harder since they're suddenly using the War3 AI. Also the whole physics thing working differently. For example the trick to always win a 1v1 naval fight in War2 doesn't really work, the AI will focus fire and won't just madly charge into your prepared line in small groups if you aggro them in a particular way.

But the creator said he had crippled the AI to make it feel like the original!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

But the creator said he had crippled the AI to make it feel like the original!
That's possible. But I watched Wtii play War2 in War3 and the AI was most definitely NOT the old dumb one.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

SirSystemError posted:

Which reminds me, regardless of this actually being the reason for restarting or not - have you ever had to redo a mission because what panned out in gameplay didn't fit with the plot you had in mind?

So for the most part, the plot points that I try to hit are "beat the level." My process is... incredibly stupid, and I'm terrified to pull back the curtain so that everyone can see that the wizard is just a dude.

1) I start up the mission and record my first faffing about exploration of the level. With BtDP, I usually get completely crushed.

2) After a few more shots, I record a final completed run.

3) I sit back with the video and take screenshots of anything that stands out as important to me (you may have noticed that the number of screenshots per update has only increased since Tides of Darkness).

4) I comb through the screenshots and write a story around them. (Here it is, here's the dumb part. I seriously don't have much story planned, it just grows out of what the screenshots say to me.)

5) I illustrate any sections that could use more clarification or seem cool/funny to me.

6) Victory.

So, no, only with this mission did I restart. Ragnok sort of needed to survive here.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Azzur posted:

4) I comb through the screenshots and write a story around them. (Here it is, here's the dumb part. I seriously don't have much story planned, it just grows out of what the screenshots say to me.)
Isn't that a lot easier, and less dumb, than replaying the maps over and over even more until what you have planned happens?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Goddamn man, all these custom sprites. Much love. Also yeah, this mission exemplifies what I mean about Paladins and Exorcism. That mission taking down Nethergarde, I would build a solid wall of towers around most of the perimeter of my base, and blue's paladins would start charging in groups, running through the valley of death itself to get within exorcism range of Teron in that mission. He is actively a liability in every mission he attends, except the very last (simply because the heroes are not required to survive the final level of either campaign).

Though one note: Raise Dead, while not terribly strong, can be used to bait out some of the Paladins' mana by sending them within Exorcism range.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Azzur posted:

Hey, let's hope this distracts from the doom and gloom talk of how Warcraft is dying.

You're referring to someone who is consistently in the top 5 for 'number of posts' in each WoW Lore Thread.
If they hated it that much, they'd have quit a loooong time ago.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kingturnip posted:

You're referring to someone who is consistently in the top 5 for 'number of posts' in each WoW Lore Thread.
If they hated it that much, they'd have quit a loooong time ago.

I'm no stranger to playing games where the gameplay is compelling enough to keep me going even when I think the story has completely shat itself inside out. See also: Starcraft 2, Final Fantasy XIV, and Star Trek Online. :v:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cythereal posted:

and Star Trek Online. :v:

Is sto still running?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wiegieman posted:

Is sto still running?

Getting a new expansion in a couple of weeks, no less.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I'm rereading the old threads in the lparchive and I really enjoy how Azzur hinted at vilefeast would become a death knight. Even back to Orcs and Humans!

Also I am curious to see what happens to vilefeast. He has had dual personalities before he was infested by a necrolyte. Three vilefeasts?

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Heroes: These Dead/Not Dead Jerks

Lore for... Two Chiefs, a Troll, and a Scary Place

Oh jeez, Azzur, more of your drat character inserts? Well, as flattered as I am that you think I would be so creative as to come up with such memorable characters as "cannibal orc," "lone wolf orc," or... "regular rear end ol' death knight," I can't take the credit. The characters that raided the Tomb of Sargeras are actual members of Warcraft Lore! You may remember some scattered mentions of them from time to time, but it's their chance for the spotlight. So where to begin?

Tagar Spinebreaker

“War” is just another name for “All You Can Eat Buffet.”

Tagar Spinebreaker is an orc's orc. This dude is the chieftain of the Bonechewer clan, which you may remember we... destroyed? Sort of? Okay, welcome to "soft retcon" town. That's where Blizzard (or one of their outside authors) stepped in and went, "Oh yeah, that did happen, didn't it? But what if... it only sorta happened?" In this case, the Bonechewers were lead by Hurkan Skullsplinter before the events of Beyond the Dark Portal and the mission where you beat them bloody and take the Skull of Gul'dan is rationalized as deposing Hurkan and allowing for the rise of Tagar.

But who is this Spinebreaker guy? Well... not much is really known about him. He's big. He's strong. And he wears the entrails of his enemies. Oh, and he's a cannibal. Yeah, we've already talked about the Bonechewers' propensity for gobbling up people, but Tagar was known to also do it during battle. Which... admittedly is pretty goddamned horrifying. I mean, okay, yes, you see an orc hack through your buddy and you're terrified. Then he casually tears a chunk out of his neck and chews it up like so much Steve-flavored bubble gum and you're immediately running for the hills. To make matters worse, Tagar wears his own special accessories: a belt and bracers carved from the spine of an ogre. I think anyone would take one look at the guy and assume, "Yeah, he killed that ogre by himself."

But really, that's it for the guy. He was sent along to retrieve the Jeweled Scepter of Sargeras and he fades away from Warcraft history for a long time. (Though he does make one minor appearance much later.)

Fenris Wolfbrother

The hero that Draenor deserves, but not the hero it needs. Or wants. Or tolerates, really.

Hey alright, an obscure orc with some actual history behind him! Fenris is the son of Garad, chieftain of the Frostwolf clan. If that name isn't ringing any bells, don't be too surprised as we really only know about the Frostwolves because of Durotan. And we really only know about Durotan because of a certain Orc Jesus that will be showing up in Warcraft III. So yeah, these are all background names at this points. To put that more succinctly, Fenris is Durotan's older brother. Now, the Frostwolves were very big into living at peace with nature and taking care of their own personal community. They weren't so interested in eternal war and personal glory.

Of course Fenris thought that was stupid. He went and joined their rival clan, the Thunderlords, who were all about being badasses and coming out on top. (He also may have dressed up as Orc Batman? Seriously.) Now here's where the waters get a little muddy. You see, a lot of information about Fenris came about thanks to Blizzard introducing an alternate dimension. Yup. WITH time travel. Are you motherfuckers serious? Seriously, did I say that Blizzard staff was doing coke during the 90s? What I meant to say was THEY NEVER STOPPED. So yeah, there's an alternate universe Fenris who I can presume did a lot of the same things as this universe's Fenris up until a certain point. Y'know, where the universes diverge. So let's just put our head down and plow into this stuff.

Fenris just wants to prove what a goddamn badass he is, so strikes out as "The Lone Wolf" as he hunts and kills gronn alongside the Thunderlords, who he saw as honorable warriors to risk their lives for the glory of killing the oversized brutes. Of course, this "Lone Wolf" schtick catches on and people start seeing him as a living legend, who stalked Frostfire Ridge hunting worthy prey. Eventually he was brought into the Thunderlords where he rose to the top by sheer rear end-kicking? I dunno, maybe there's like a merit system among the Thunderlords. Definitely not a hereditary position and it doesn't sound like Fenris killed anyone for the job. Either way, Fenris is now chieftain and he's all about murderin' and killin'. When a band of half-ogres (pushed to battle by their ogre masters) showed up and starting kicking orcs out of Frostfire Ridge, the Thunderlords launched a bunch of raids. Like idiots. Y'see, Garad was all about getting the tribes together and working like a team to stop the threat. But noooo... I'm the Lone Wolf, dad! The alliance of clans (without the help of Fenris and his Thunderlords) eventually solve the problem, again... different story, different day.

Later still, when the war against the gronn was progressing, Blackhand called upon Fenris and his clan to hunt down the few remaining creatures. And it goes great! ...sorta. Tons of gronn get killed as the Thunderlords just charge the behemoths with reckless abandon. Of course, some gronn were too smart for this tactic. One, in particular, named Gruul beat the poo poo out of so many Thunderlords that Fenris sort of shrugged and just went, "Eh, good enough," and stopped the assaults. I'm certain that we'll never hear about what a problem it is that Gruul is alive. YOU HAD ONE JOB, FENRIS.

Anyway, First War rolls around and, much like the Bonechewers, the Thunderlords were just too drat crazy to bring along to Azeroth. Now that the wars have ended and the more rambunctious members of the clan have been brought to heel (y'know, after we killed a bunch of 'em), Fenris is called on to... carefully explore a tomb. Because when I think of his skillset, I definitely picture someone who is going to be careful and aware of the danger he is in.

Ragnok Bloodreaver

I'm pretty sure that I had a black light velvet poster of a guy like this in the 90s.

Alright, now this one I know you're making up! No one has heard of this guy! Yeah... I'm shocked, too. But nope, Ragnok is real. Admittedly he shows up in the "World of Warcraft manga," which usually means there's a chance this guy isn't considered canon. I mean, everyone remember Med'an? (Med'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! :argh: ...I guess he's still mostly canon.) In this case, though Ragnok has a small impact on the world, so he definitely exists. That impact is... exactly this. He was a member of Gul'dan's Shadow Council. Doomhammer doomhammer'd him. Gul'dan death knight'd him. Now Ragnok is a walking skelleman that is attuned to the WORLD OF MAGIC. He was sent along by Teron Gorefiend to aid Tagar and Fenris to retrieve the Jeweled Scepter. Of course, he recognizes that the much sought after Eye of Sargeras lay not far beyond. This was the same power that Gul'dan himself started this whole mess over. I mean, let's stop and think about that for a second.

Gul'dan sells out his entire race for a chance to get the Eye. He plunges an alien world into a war that will span several generations and forever mark the land with death, disease, and horror. He even ruins the chances for the orcs to win a decisive victory in the Second War for a shot at the Eye. And he fails. Then No-Name McDeathknight shows up and is mere FEET AWAY and is forced to leave. Man, this Eye thing must be powerful! Definitely not just a Mcguffin that exists only to be chased after. Surely it has a lot of clearly defined power that will greatly impact the world of Azeroth in the future.

I think I end a lot of these updates with knowing winks and huge sarcastic remarks. For a mix up, lemme say this.

Goddamn, 10 year old me would think that Ragnok was the coolest dude. 30 year old me is really embarrassed that I'm still drawing this stuff.

Azzur fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 30, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Another bit of entertaining lore about which you have no need to be embarrassed IMHO.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Honestly, that pose Ragnok is doing makes me think more "Magical Girl" than "evil murderous skeleton wizard."

I'm fine with that, though.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Azzur posted:

I mean, everyone remember Med'an? (Med'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! :argh: ...I guess he's still mostly canon.)

This is actually arguably not true anymore! With the release of Warcraft Chronicles Volume 3, which covers from the aftermath of Warcraft 2 up until the end of Cataclysm, Med'an is not mentioned anywhere, and events that should have involved him don't make any mention of him.

Okay, I lied. He does get mentioned once. In the index, if you look up Med'an, he's listed as being on page... 404?

Did I mention these books are only about 200 pages long? Yeah, that's right, Blizzard actually retconned Med'an out of canon because he was THAT BAD.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

BlazetheInferno posted:

Okay, I lied. He does get mentioned once. In the index, if you look up Med'an, he's listed as being on page... 404?

I see what they did there.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Honestly, that pose Ragnok is doing makes me think more "Magical Girl" than "evil murderous skeleton wizard."

Probably because that's literally the I'll Punish You pose if I'm not mistaken

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Rodyle posted:

oh my god it totally is

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the difference between a magical girl and a warlock mostly comes down to if they like yellow and pink or green and purple

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Prav posted:

the difference between a magical girl and a warlock mostly comes down to if they like yellow and pink or green and purple

and whether their magic is flavored with ribbons and celestial bodies or skulls and imps

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Time to wonder what other anime references Azzur has snuck into the LP without me noticing.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
Sailor Shadowmoon.

Where are those fan artists now?!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Azzur posted:

Sailor Shadowmoon.

Where is your god now?!

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Where is your god now?

Hanging on the porch making pleasant little noises when it's windy of course.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Shogeton posted:

I want you to know just how much I love and appreciate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Shogeton posted:

It took me a bit to get this but I'm glad I did :allears: