Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Honestly all I remember about it is sitting in my grandmother's house and having it on but being too depressed by the color palette to pay attention to it. Maybe the plot was great.

I honestly can't remember a lot about Space Above and Beyond. I remember in the pilot one of the characters thinks gets Ramones confused with Pink Floyd because I was starting to get into music at the time. I also remember that there was a lot of build up to the desperate Operation Roundhammer, and then it got cancelled without resolution.

There was also a lot of internet tie-in, if I recall correctly, because the internet was a new exciting thing at the time.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Even with shows like B5, DS9 and SG-1, there felt like there was a slightly more 'hopeful' tone of it. I seem to remember Space:A&B getting a bit more pessimistic in its tone.

Babylon 5, was really pretty dark, especially by the time that season 3 rolled around. I feel like the "hopeful" tone was more due to exactly how early 90's the aesthetic was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

fruit on the bottom posted:

Adam Baldwin had me fooled for a while between Firefly, Mass Effect, and Chuck.

Same, but My Bodyguard, Full Metal Jacket, and The Chocolate War.

Adam Baldwin is the second best Baldwin, but quality really goes down after Alec. yes I know he's not related

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Krispy Wafer posted:

Same, but My Bodyguard, Full Metal Jacket, and The Chocolate War.

Adam Baldwin is the second best Baldwin, but quality really goes down after Alec. yes I know he's not related

Billy is second after Alec, simply for the time when Stephen said something like "My father is rolling in his grave for the way people treat Trump", he replied "Dad would've slapped you upside the head for supporting Trump."

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

mojo1701a posted:

I like to think that in this future, the Chinese government just threw a bunch of money at the problem but didn't really consider the long-term logistics of how its people would interact with other colonists. Instead, they insisted that as an equal partner, Chinese culture and language should be taught equal to that of American culture and the English language but did a poor job of it and it never actually grew organically. That's how we get crappy Mandarin spoken, Chinese influences, but not a lot of actual Chinese people.

:goonsay: I've thought about this way too much.

I always assumed the lack of distinctly chinese characters was because the show is set out on the rim, populated by lower society colonists scratching out a living and an existence in general, and that the central planets would have the dense population and ethnic enclaves.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's because they didn't want to hire any Asian actors. They didn't do it in the movie either.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The big problem with Space: Above and Beyond was that the writers had virtually no knowledge of previous SF (which they viewed as a good thing: "We'll have fresh ideas!") that led them into a million tropes that were old and hackneyed, and could have been avoided if they had read or even watched more SF.

Also bad was their total lack of knowledge about the military. Highly trained pilots do not get sent as ground troops on patrols, or do secret, SEAL-style missions.

The combination of those two really killed the show for me, even though I gave it a chance and watched the whole show.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

Babylon 5, was really pretty dark, especially by the time that season 3 rolled around. I feel like the "hopeful" tone was more due to exactly how early 90's the aesthetic was.

Hope was literally the main theme of the show, the "faith manages" thing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The more I watch youtube clips of B5, the more I realize that B5 pretty much owes a lot of its success to the acting talent of Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik, especially the former. Goddamn that man had gravitas.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

GrandpaPants posted:

The more I watch youtube clips of B5, the more I realize that B5 pretty much owes a lot of its success to the acting talent of Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik, especially the former. Goddamn that man had gravitas.

And that he did it all with a giant prosthetic on his head.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Hope might have been a reoccurring theme in B5, but goddamn was there a lot of bad poo poo happening all the time.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star don't even belong in the same sentence, quality-wise. Outlaw Star is kinda fun but when you get down to it, is a trash harem anime in space. featuring such memorable characters as Big-Titted Yelling Catgirl, Big-titted Space Samurai Lady, and Big-titted Quiet Lady Who Floats Around A Mysterious Fluid While Naked. See us in our next episode, Boob Physics 2: Even Boobier!! Featuring: Gene's Big Gun!!!!

Cowboy Bebop has Faye Valentine, sure, but overall is much more of a real show and is wayyyy better than OS. Plus it has Yoko Kanno's music.

People group them together because Adult Swim ran them both in a time slot together and was good at making promos making them seem comparable.

Faye Valentine is just a rip-off of Fujiko Mine

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MrUnderbridge posted:

The big problem with Space: Above and Beyond was that the writers had virtually no knowledge of previous SF (which they viewed as a good thing: "We'll have fresh ideas!") that led them into a million tropes that were old and hackneyed, and could have been avoided if they had read or even watched more SF.

Also bad was their total lack of knowledge about the military. Highly trained pilots do not get sent as ground troops on patrols, or do secret, SEAL-style missions.

Pretty sure that's normal "The leads do the important things" TV logic. Actors aren't free.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Hello I came from the Ad.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star don't even belong in the same sentence, quality-wise. Outlaw Star is kinda fun but when you get down to it, is a trash harem anime in space. featuring such memorable characters as Big-Titted Yelling Catgirl, Big-titted Space Samurai Lady, and Big-titted Quiet Lady Who Floats Around A Mysterious Fluid While Naked. See us in our next episode, Boob Physics 2: Even Boobier!! Featuring: Gene's Big Gun!!!!

Cowboy Bebop has Faye Valentine, sure, but overall is much more of a real show and is wayyyy better than OS. Plus it has Yoko Kanno's music.

People group them together because Adult Swim ran them both in a time slot together and was good at making promos making them seem comparable.

I'm not saying they're of comparable quality by a long shot. I love Cowboy Bebop to death and still listen to the music from it pretty regularly. I was just saying that they were two shows that I enjoyed that were listen in the same genre as Firefly. That's all. They were basically the two shows that (unfortunately) got me into anime, so they hold a place in my heart together, even if they're not as good as one another.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SpacePig posted:

(unfortunately)

lol :cmon:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Look, I'm very ashamed of my anime past. I got really bad about it for a few years. I'm sorry.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

fruit on the bottom posted:

Faye Valentine is just a rip-off of Fujiko Mine

Cowboy Bebop is just really well-done Space Lupin, yeah sure of course. Spike even LOOKS like Lupin for this exact reason. I mean this formula is not anything new, CB just took all these things and did them fairly well, which is why it still holds 20 years later.

CB is better than most Lupin stuff, Monkey Punch's work looks cool AF but the 'jokes' are dumb old-man jokes about peeping boobs and butts all-the-time. We could bring up Castle of Cagliostro as comparable, but that always starts the argument on if that's "really" Lupin or not since Miyazaki actually gave him multiple dimensions and made him somewhat likeable and people think of it as Disney-fied Lupin just because he doesn't grab at Claire's tits constantly.

kupachek posted:

I always assumed the lack of distinctly chinese characters was because the show is set out on the rim, populated by lower society colonists scratching out a living and an existence in general, and that the central planets would have the dense population and ethnic enclaves.

c'mon, you know the answer was 'there aren't any qualified Asian actors!' (meaning 'we rely on a casting agency that doesn't have a good stable of anyone non-white, and no one is willing to put in the effort to try to find someone when these are just featured extras and BG characters anyway' - the majority of racism in film and tv is white laziness taken to a new extreme).

The entertainment industry is, if anything else, all about traveling the path of least resistance

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 16:37 on May 30, 2018

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I always thought Summer Glau was part Asian but I looked it up and I was wrong and for that I apologize.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I was sort of joking in that post but I did start to think about how CB was Space Lupin, although I think Spike has some pretty notable differences.

And yeah, the average quality is better but I think for a franchise as long-running as Lupin that’s to be expected. I think the Red Jacket series has it the worst for having been 155 continuous weeks of content. Can’t all be winners!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Pretty sure that's normal "The leads do the important things" TV logic. Actors aren't free.

Walking patrol on a supposedly empty planet isn't exactly an important thing. They just thought "all military guys do all the military stuff, right? "

There could have been plenty of good flight related stories, training related stories, stuck on the carrier being bored and bitching at each other stories - they just didn't know how a real military works.

Imagine if part of Top Gun was Tom Cruise greasing the propellor shafts. Not a job a pilot would ever get. If it's not something your character would ever do, find another story.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

gently caress you

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

mycophobia posted:

gently caress you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCbxicfdTvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AjkAVexgXw

art, ART OF THE HIGHEST CALIBUR

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im not clicking those links shithead

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

"What if space, but cowboys?" isnt really an original enough concept to worry about which of a handful of shows did it "first". And in any case, not one of you fuckers even mentioned Bravestarr.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

Or the cast, period. I admit I didn't watch all the episodes, two being enough to let me know it was irredeemable poo poo, but I'm told by people who did that there isn't a single Asian actor with a speaking line in any episode of Firefly or the movie. Summer Glau and her brother were meant to be part Chinese, but the parts got whitewashed.

The one good decision Fox made regarding Firefly was to cancel it. And they were too late with that.

hahahaha and people wonder why I hate Joss Whedon. I mean, besides almost everything he makes being poo poo.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Araenna posted:

hahahaha and people wonder why I hate Joss Whedon. I mean, besides almost everything he makes being poo poo.

Speaking of things that didn't age well, the "Joss Whedon is my master now" poo poo. It was terrible then, and hopefully those people now have enough sense to realize why that was awful (even if you like the guy).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

SiKboy posted:

"What if space, but cowboys?" isnt really an original enough concept to worry about which of a handful of shows did it "first". And in any case, not one of you fuckers even mentioned Bravestarr.

I've been watching a bit of Galaxy Express 999 and I'm sure a similar 'space western' could be attributed to that, as well. Star Trek was given the 'Western in Space' descriptor for a while. Star Wars:ANH Tatooine stuff is likely very easily an example of space western as much as anything else, too.

From what little I was ever able to see of Firefly, it never really struck me as a Bebop/Outlaw Star rip off, and it probably wouldn't have ever been if not for 'girl in a suitcase' to set people off. Keeping in mind, I remember when Van Helsing came out and people were calling it a Vampire Hunter D rip-off because of a HAT.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MrUnderbridge posted:

Walking patrol on a supposedly empty planet isn't exactly an important thing.

Yeah but that's where the plot is going to happen, therefore it is the protagonists' job.

This is the Star Trek thing. (Also House, M.D.)

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I can only submit, and I'm sure it has been said before, but it's worth repeating:

The West Wind Season 3 Episode (_), Isaac and Ishmael

Rushed into production in three weeks, this "very special" episode of the West Wing buckled under the weight of its own self righteousness almost immediately and was condescending to the characters and audience to the point of nausea. The West Wing was one of the best shows ever made but re-watching this episode now is like listening to that rear end in a top hat in Philosophy 101 talking about the Matrix for five minutes while the professor tries to interrupt him.

September 11th didn't happen in the West Wing "universe", but that doesn't stop the characters from acting like it did during a lockdown at the White House that allows them to lecture sanctimoniously to a group of stranded highschoolers about how Islam is a religion of peace. That commercial with the Native American turning to the camera with a tear rolling down his face had more subtly.

It may have tonally been a little more appropriate at the time but looking back now the whole thing comes across as preachy. Worst of all the B plot (if you can call anything a plot) involves Leo, a beloved character, playing the role of "racist rear end in a top hat" while interrogating an innocent man with a Muslim name for reasons passing comprehension who all but wraps himself in the flag and shames Leo and, by extension, the viewer. Looking back on the episode now through the lens of the terrifying rise of white supremacy in the country makes its saccharin plea for restraint and coming together in the face of evil seem outdated and absurd.

Tom Tucker has a new favorite as of 19:02 on May 30, 2018

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

MrUnderbridge posted:

Walking patrol on a supposedly empty planet isn't exactly an important thing. They just thought "all military guys do all the military stuff, right? "

There could have been plenty of good flight related stories, training related stories, stuck on the carrier being bored and bitching at each other stories - they just didn't know how a real military works.

Imagine if part of Top Gun was Tom Cruise greasing the propellor shafts. Not a job a pilot would ever get. If it's not something your character would ever do, find another story.

A series about some dudes flying in circles for twenty minutes then landing and going off to get drunk for the remainder of the episode wouldn't be a fun action show ("hurf durf sounds fun to me lol" can :fuckoff:).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

drat.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tom Tucker posted:

I can only submit, and I'm sure it has been said before, but it's worth repeating:

Rushed into production in three weeks, this "very special" episode of the West Wing buckled under the weight of its own self righteousness almost immediately and was condescending to the characters and audience to the point of nausea. The West Wing was one of the best shows ever made but re-watching this episode now is like listening to that rear end in a top hat in Philosophy 101 talking about the Matrix for five minutes while the professor tries to interrupt him.

September 11th didn't happen in the West Wing "universe", but that doesn't stop the characters from acting like it did during a lockdown at the White House that allows them to lecture sanctimoniously to a group of stranded highschoolers about how Islam is a religion of peace. That commercial with the Native American turning to the camera with a tear rolling down his face had more subtly.

It may have tonally been a little more appropriate at the time but looking back now the whole thing comes across as preachy. Worst of all the B plot (if you can call anything a plot) involves Leo, a beloved character, playing the role of "racist rear end in a top hat" while interrogating an innocent man with a Muslim name for reasons passing comprehension who all but wraps himself in the flag and shames Leo and, by extension, the viewer. Looking back on the episode now through the lens of the terrifying rise of white supremacy in the country makes its saccharin plea for restraint and coming together in the face of evil seem outdated and absurd.

You're not supposed to rewatch that one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isaac and Ishmael was lovely on day one. I was a kid and my eyes did a 360 roll when one of the students asked if all Muslims were terrorists.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah but that's where the plot is going to happen, therefore it is the protagonists' job.

This is the Star Trek thing. (Also House, M.D.)

So the writers had a plot, and had no choice but to go with it? They could have had something more realistic, like a planetside base overrun by chigs and the pilots cut off and having to fight until rescued. Much more believable than a squadron's worth of pilots sent on foot patrol because.... plot said so?

And I never saw Kirk doing a red shirts job, because that's what red shirts were for. And I don't believe House ever emptied bedpans. The gang from NCIS never gave out parking tickets at the commissary. Different jobs.

All I'm saying is that there are plenty of action plots for pilots without having them do things pilots would never have to do.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tom Tucker posted:

buckled under the weight of its own self righteousness almost immediately and was condescending to the characters and audience to the point of nausea.

How is this different from any other Aaron Sorkin show?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GrandpaPants posted:

How is this different from any other Aaron Sorkin show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zqOYBabXmA

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Tom Tucker posted:

I always thank whatever higher power I'm believing in that day that Aaron Sorkin was on enough drugs that 9/11 didn't completely shatter him the way it did his fellow 'too smart for all you rubes' entertainment figure Dennis Miller. Imagine how bad Studio 60 could have been if Sorkin was completely sober for the attacks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mu Zeta posted:

Isaac and Ishmael was lovely on day one. I was a kid and my eyes did a 360 roll when one of the students asked if all Muslims were terrorists.

I spent most of September 12-20 trying to talk down Americans from a position of "all Muslims should be genocided", so it's art imitating life I'm afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

All that matters is that DS9 has Garak, so is Best Trek.