Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is Lusamine still the villain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tired Moritz posted:

Necrozma itself is the main antagonist

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tired Moritz posted:

Kind of? She's still a rear end in a top hat but now she wants to wrestle and suplex every UB to save the world and stand back children I got work to do.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
It's very likely that Pokemon having CP in addition to the traditional level and stats is just a "simplified" way of comparing two similar mons. Fire Emblem has been doing this for years with "Unit Rating". It's basically just an equation that takes all of the stats of the unit and uses a formula to consolidate that into one number, that can be directly compared to other units. It's generally for casuals/new players, but can be wholly ignored if you know what you're doing and has no effect on actual gameplay.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
pokemon games are 100% about online battles and trading now. the reason go lost its initial hype so quickly was because you couldnt do this even locally. (not counting the weak rear end gym system) im not getting this without both things

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nintendo please release the trailer song. I love Pokemon trailer music so much.

Also I don't mind the lack of online because I've basically never played Pokemon online.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Wow the contrast from those two posts is pokemoncommunity.txt

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

pokemon games are 100% about online battles and trading now. the reason go lost its initial hype so quickly was because you couldnt do this even locally. (not counting the weak rear end gym system) im not getting this without both things

i dont give a poo poo about any of those things so no it isnt

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Christ. I know it was exciting to maybe think that we’d get a main series game in 2018, but history shows they like to reveal new generations in January or February to gain maximum hype. They also originally said at E3 2017 that the next main series game was merely “in development” and they would’ve said if they planned on releasing 2018 because that would build hype. It wasn’t going to happen.

I’m not interested in Let’s Go. Unless the reviews come out and say it’s amazing, I probably won’t buy it. But it doesn’t matter because a full main series RPG is coming out in 2019. It’s like getting pissed at Pokemon Ranger or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I know Pokemon fans are. Pokemon fans but chill.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Blazing Zero posted:

Pokemon is about kids making a team of their favorite monsters and going on an adventure and exploring the world. Like Ash Ketchum.

Online battles and trading are just bonuses on the foundation.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
i like how every day these two games sound shittier and shittier and will most likely sell 3x every other pokemon game combined because of how successful GO was.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wanna put a hat on an Eevee :)

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Waffleman_ posted:

I wanna put a hat on an Eevee :)

VRChat exists. heck, you can put a hat on Eevee and even BECOME the Eevee

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Andrew_1985 posted:

I can't believe that the Pokemon are still making Dial-up noises instead of saying their names. Really Nintendo? Really?

Would you rather have production get super expensive by hiring hundreds of voice actors for every Pokémon in all languages or boring when Pokémon start sounding all the same due to having only a handful of voice actors? Not to mention the fact that there's a significant chunk of fans who find the whole idea of Pokémon only saying their names to be childish.

Having Pikachu voice acted is easy since there is only one across all languages.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

hopeandjoy posted:

I’m not interested in Let’s Go. Unless the reviews come out and say it’s amazing, I probably won’t buy it. But it doesn’t matter because a full main series RPG is coming out in 2019. It’s like getting pissed at Pokemon Ranger or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I know Pokemon fans are. Pokemon fans but chill.

While you're right in this one, I can understand the extremes, this game seems like all that, at least me personally, didn't want Pokemon to do: heavy Kanto pandering to a whole new level (seriously, limiting to the originals in this day and age? It was bad when FRLG did it, it's bad now!), a step back instead of forward graphically (the artstyle is so much worse than in SM, and that game was on the 3DS), removing basic core mechanics in favour of gimmicky stuff (Go implementation in combat), no or heavily limited online, etc.

Add to that that we were made to think it was a main series game instead of a spinoff, and it'll give some rage. Ultimately it doesn't matter, I get that I'm not the target audience and I don't need to be, which is good because I have no intentions of buying it, but at the moment it genuinely made me wonder if the franchise had finally jumped that Sharpedo. Thankfully, it's not the case, and it may genuinely be a cute spinoff for the Go players.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Add to that that we were made to think it was a main series game instead of a spinoff, and it'll give some rage. Ultimately it doesn't matter, I get that I'm not the target audience and I don't need to be, which is good because I have no intentions of buying it, but at the moment it genuinely made me wonder if the franchise had finally jumped that Sharpedo. Thankfully, it's not the case, and it may genuinely be a cute spinoff for the Go players.

But we weren’t made to think that. Fans, as fans do, decided that’s what these leaks meant all on their own. Official sources said that that wasn’t the case right away.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, keep in mind that despite the leaks, last night was the first time these games were officially acknowledged.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly I might be in for Let's Go just for the couch co-op. If you can play through the whole game co-op that could be a lot of fun.

I hope the leveling system isn't the same as in Pokemon Go, with the transferring and candies, but if it is then I hope it's at least not as grindy. A console game with a story doesn't need to string you along with grinding mechanics the way a mobile game does.

Anyway playing couch co-op Pokemon with my girlfriend sounds like it could be kind of nice, even if it is a simplified, Pokemon Go-inspired version of Pokemon.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

pokemon should make animal noises and not say their names

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

sharrrk posted:

pokemon should make animal noises and not say their names

:same:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also the boy is named Chuck and the girl is named Eve. I've decided this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I was promised Pokemon Stars :mad:

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Zuzie posted:

Would you rather have production get super expensive by hiring hundreds of voice actors for every Pokémon in all languages or boring when Pokémon start sounding all the same due to having only a handful of voice actors? Not to mention the fact that there's a significant chunk of fans who find the whole idea of Pokémon only saying their names to be childish.

Having Pikachu voice acted is easy since there is only one across all languages.

You know what, Nintendo/Pokemon company can afford it. If other games can have fully voiced games with thousands of lines of dialogue, they can afford to record each Pokemon name once or twice.
They anime does pretty well with their voice cast so why not use them again?
If that's going to break the budget, get one of those YouTube kids who can do 150 voices. Some will be salvageable.
As for the fan preference for dialup/voices I'm sure that can be an easily adjusted preference.
It's honestly baffling why they haven't done it yet.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
my gf loves pokemon go and is unbelievably hyped for let's go eevee and tbh if it has the same leveling mechanic and i can go out and level my dudes while running/cycling in the park i'm all for it

she was even happier when she realized she could transfer her favorite arcanine to her switch, they definitely found their market for this

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 30, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1001762429968244737

Candy method for levels it sounds like

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I just don't get how that's more "simple" than

- beat thing
- fill a bar
- when bar is full good thing happens

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I doubt it. They've said candy from Go won't work.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Waffles Inc. posted:

- beat thing
- fill a bar

Yeah I have no idea how you'd simplify something so basic unless it's use item on mon, mon levels up.

Which is why I figured it would be candy.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nodosaur posted:

I doubt it. They've said candy from Go won't work.

All they said was you couldn't transfer candy from Go. Which would make sense if they didn't want Whales just powerlevelling everything the second the caught it.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeANMcBAY posted:

Should have been Jigglypuff instead for the second version since no one likes Wigglytuffs.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

i have a shiny wigglytuff

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

- beat thing
- fill a bar

I'd guess it's because there aren't any wild pokemon battles, so the only source of experience would be trainer battles.

That said, that's not that insurmountable a barrier. Just enable EXP sharing by default and have it so doing most of the trainer fights along a route keeps you level-appropriate for future trainer fights and gyms. Maybe a catch-up mechanic could be something like, once you get a gym badge all pokemon you catch are automatically a certain minimum level, or maybe to increase ~*~immersion~*~ you can bring pokemon to that gym and if they're lower than <gym's level> you can pay a few pokebucks to train them up immediately. Boom, done.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

my gf loves pokemon go and is unbelievably hyped for let's go eevee and tbh if it has the same leveling mechanic and i can go out and level my dudes while running/cycling in the park i'm all for it

she was even happier when she realized she could transfer her favorite arcanine to her switch, they definitely found their market for this

Replace arcanine with vaporeon and this is exactly my experience. I am not hype per say, but I have no qualms with playing this with my girlfriend since we've been playing PoGo anyway

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Blazing Zero posted:

Haha, no. Most players at-large don't care about the online component. I've played every Pokemon generation and I haven't really interacted with the online features much, besides Wonder Trade which is not at all crucial to the Pokemon experience.

Having local drop-in co-op is significantly more awesome than any extraneous online stuff, especially since I could play with my girlfriend who is a total Pokemon casual. She plays Pokemon Go with me and will probably be excited when I tell her about Let's Go!

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 30, 2018

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

.TakaM posted:

I've read the "local multiplayer only" was in regards to the co-op and that the game will still feature online trading and battling. Can't wait to get some concrete clarification on this

Most sources seem to be saying that co-op is same screen, trading and battling is local wireless, and no plans to use online services.

Confusion probably came from someone mixing up "wireless" and "wifi", and "local" and "single console". Say one person say "it has Wi-Fi and local, but no online."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

- beat thing
- fill a bar

A way that you could simplify it I see right away is making level-ups be by number of battles fought then a strict exp system. i don't think that would be a good change mind you but it's simpler

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I showed the trailer to a couple of flight attendants I work with who play and they're super excited too.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
tbh Pokemon has slowly accrued more and more mechanics over the years that makes it tougher for younger kids to get into the actual main series games, I think it's not a bad idea to make a simpler entry point between generations with some mechanics take from the game that made the world stand still for a week when it released.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Eox posted:

tbh Pokemon has slowly accrued more and more mechanics over the years that makes it tougher for younger kids to get into the actual main series games, I think it's not a bad idea to make a simpler entry point between generations with some mechanics take from the game that made the world stand still for a week when it released.

i don't want to quibble over this too much but from the perspective of a literal child, red/blue would be borderline impenetrable compared to USUM

USUM holds your hand almost the entire time, is more fun, better looking, etc etc

none of the "more mechanics" are even remotely necessary to engage with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Pokemon Quest is rad as hell. Depends on how obnoxious the shop's gonna be

Dunno about Let's Go and I'm glad theres gonna be a proper pokemon game eventually but gently caress it, gimmicky pokemon poo poo is my jam (go can still bite me but it seems to be getting better)