Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Unless you're saying you only play this game multiplayer which :psyduck: you're missing out.

I enjoy watching others play multiplayer (Turin and friends) but have never touched it since Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ZearothK posted:

Legend was super butthurt that Ninja called him a cheesy player and even made a drama video justifying his build. So yes, they both lost.

:allears: Beautiful.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Zerkovich is another good YouTuber, although he’s really focused on army guides and videos on basic tactics like how to use hounds or how to use artillery. A good channel for newer players

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Some of the stand alone races have a single player campaign and map with them. Unless you're saying you only play this game multiplayer which :psyduck: you're missing out.

Nah the battle AI is braindead, the army comps get annoyingly limited by campaign buildings, and difficulty is either incredibly easy or the AI cheating with no in between. Multiplayer is really where the game shines.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

yeah im a total scrub at mp so i have to fight the ai to cool off but the warhammer strategic layer is pretty bad and the tactical is really good

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Nanomashoes posted:

Nah the battle AI is braindead, the army comps get annoyingly limited by campaign buildings, and difficulty is either incredibly easy or the AI cheating with no in between. Multiplayer is really where the game shines.

Some of the mods and overhauls adress this, by making the AI a little more willing to engage in risky battles and being able to recruit balanced armies.

The AI is pretty good at flanking and cycle charging as well.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Weissritter posted:

They are good, I suppose?

Not only that, they basically shoot fireworks. Their arrows aren't explosive (i.e., no area damage) but they're flashy as gently caress. So seeing an entire army of them light something up is basically like watching a billion roman candles murdering ratmen.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nanomashoes posted:

There is no balance? I also find the AI can be nice at L, but I don't really like the multiplayer cause of said lack of balance. Like WC3 took a long as time to balance and has pointless units with 4 races, this game went of the deep end of awesome and badass, but balance was the sacrifice.

The strategy layer is pretty rugged tho I can see how that could turn you off completely to the mode, if you abuse it you can easily end up never having a decent battle.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nanomashoes posted:

It's more that the strategies get very samey so you figure out what to do against the enemy once and then notice it always works forever.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

yeah im a total scrub at mp so i have to fight the ai to cool off but the warhammer strategic layer is pretty bad and the tactical is really good

That's why i mod the game to hell and back. AI might not be able to match my decision making process but when it's got three armies to every one of mine. Things get tricky.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

jokes posted:

It's more that the strategies get very samey so you figure out what to do against the enemy once and then notice it always works forever.
This is very true.

e.g. lordtank running ahead and balling the enemy, etc.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

Do Free Company Militia still skew extremely powerful in autoresolve? I loved them when that DLC dropped and used entire armies of them but I haven't played Empire since before the King and the Warlord dropped.

Pistol in one hand, sword in the other and a burning hatred for everyone who isn't in their army, they are the Emperor's Free Companies and they shall know no fear.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
TWW has really good multiplayer and everyone should try it, even if you’re a casual scrub and not a True Gamer.

It almost feels like a second game. Both my army comps and my battlefield considerations are wildly different from campaign battles vs the AI.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I got around a thousand hours in each TWW game and I have yet to play any MP outside of multiplayer campaigns with friends.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I've always wondered if giving single player a mechanic similar to the currency that limits your army composition in multiplayer would be a good thing (in addition to upkeep costs probably). It'd stop the player from stacking a full army of top tier units and steam rolling everything and might make the AI a bit more interesting (or possibly just gently caress them up completely?).

Also, I'd second the 'try multiplayer' sentiment. It took me ages to try it but it's genuinely fun and a completely different experience to the single player.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

TWW has really good multiplayer and everyone should try it, even if you’re a casual scrub and not a True Gamer.

Its also worth noting that most people who play multiplayer are not very good at it, so the bar to beat is lower than you probably think.

This isn't to say you won't meet someone who is crazy good and get your rear end handed to you - you will - just that a lot of your matchups will be against people who are not good at the game.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Periphery posted:

I've always wondered if giving single player a mechanic similar to the currency that limits your army composition in multiplayer would be a good thing (in addition to upkeep costs probably). It'd stop the player from stacking a full army of top tier units and steam rolling everything and might make the AI a bit more interesting (or possibly just gently caress them up completely?).

Also, I'd second the 'try multiplayer' sentiment. It took me ages to try it but it's genuinely fun and a completely different experience to the single player.

The ToB unit pools kinda sorta do this and I’m liking it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The ToB unit pools kinda sorta do this and I’m liking it

yeah im liking how even the super elite stacks are generally a little bit of a mishmash. my big problem with most total wars is just that the strategic map isn't terribly interesting and multiplayer just gets you to the cool fights

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-ii-patch-notes-the-resurgent-update

The patch is out and it is :perfect:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Some highlights:

quote:

Artillery are far less likely to be ‘sniped’ during the autoresolver calculation despite having a superior army.

Ranged units will no longer march into melee range when they have no clear line of sight.

AI will no longer dodge every artillery projectile.

Legendary Lords will now be recruitable when you confederate with that faction when the Lord is in a wounded state.

Savage Orc building chain can now be constructed by Wurrzag in minor settlements.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It almost feels like a second game. Both my army comps and my battlefield considerations are wildly different from campaign battles vs the AI.

The multiplayer was great in shogun 2 until people figured out you could make your cheap peasant infantry unbreakable with a general ability and then it was like EHHH this is lame as gently caress. I'd really love them to put some kind of effort into the MP and then I'd play it. I'm just not much of a fan of doing skirmish battles with no progression because modern games have broken my brain.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

huh i might actually have to play warhams 2 again.

AI will no longer dodge every artillery projectile. : Nice
Ranged units will no longer march into melee range when they have no clear line of sight. : Nice

no saving camera settings between games: very not nice

drat these are a lot of patch notes, they really did just do 7 months of patches all at once huh?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Periphery posted:

Choice and Consequence overhaul has caps for the more elite units. Typically the AI builds pretty balanced armies as well. They also re scaled HP and damage, so leadership, fatigue, and ammunition tend to play a bigger factor than just brute force.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This is great. Course I can't play till my mods are fixed. The handgunner bug seems fixed!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

quote:

Rebalanced Bretonnian economy skills (Yield of the Sea, Tenth-Share, Bailiff) that encouraged cheesy gameplay, including but not limited to people only ever using Alberic as Marienburg harbourmaster.

Mutinous Gits can no longer summon Waaagh’s from their garrison forces.

:lol: at the second one

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

jokes posted:

This is great. Course I can't play till my mods are fixed. The handgunner bug seems fixed!

I hope it means the targeting issue where they only shoot if they can see the centre of the enemy unit. If so great news.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
lol

quote:

Skarsnik: +1300 mass

Also Arkhan got nerfed to hell, and the TK in general did (at least their constructs.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

huh doesnt seem to have updated for me, i can't play norsca and all of my mods are in date

e: never mind, patch notes are live not patch, im stupid

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Good lord those are a lot of patch changes. Lots of +AP to spells and lords, too.

e: I can't tell if that means that handgunners won't walk into melee but will still not shoot, or if they'll shoot like they did in WH1. Either way, its an improvement.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
A lot of great changes but I wonder if they nerfed fate of bjuna enough.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

A lot of great changes but I wonder if they nerfed fate of bjuna enough.

They didn't.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

quote:

Ranald resurgent: new content leaks now seem to happen by default.

Well played CA, well played..

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
The hp nerfs to single-entity units is much needed.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
It looks like the Exiles of Nehekk will probably like the region changes? I'm assuming if Malekith hates them that means more mountains in the northwest?

quote:

Several regions have had their climate type changed to more closely match the visuals on the campaign map. Malekith will hate some of these.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

There are so many insanely good changes in this patch, wow. WH2 is going to feel real tight after this patch!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Reik posted:

It looks like the Exiles of Nehekk will probably like the region changes? I'm assuming if Malekith hates them that means more mountains in the northwest?

Malekith is always ranting about snow in campaign, so I assume more provinces are considered frozen.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is there anywhere to look up the numbers on unit mass, +500 mass to grimgor sounds large, but without context I don't know what exactly that means besides he will probably get knocked around less often, but I don't know if he has more mass then a horse or what.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is there anywhere to look up the numbers on unit mass, +500 mass to grimgor sounds large, but without context I don't know what exactly that means besides he will probably get knocked around less often, but I don't know if he has more mass then a horse or what.

For reference a Mammoth has 5000 mass, Empire Greatswords have 1000 and most cav are in the 2-3k range. Grimgor already has like 1600 mass iirc so he'll be very unlikely to go flying except when hit by some of the largest units in the game (Arachnarok, Giants etc)

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Weird that there’s no mention of the bone giant though, it’s not really a surprise anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, Handgunners and Helstorm Rockets got some serious buffs this patch. Goddammit, I really want to keep my Mortars but more AP damage and bigger explosions is a real draw.