Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

"I'm glad he's not dead, but we'd look better if he was."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:tviv:

fatherboxx posted:

If the sting was real and not just a big show (get ready for that narrative from Russia, holy poo poo) these journalists just show themselves as idiots. "Oh no my precious news cycle and heartfelt tweets of rememberance!"
Yeah if the sting op is what really happened these guys can gently caress right off. It was an extraordinary situation and everything was cleared up in a few days, so now they can get over it and write another article.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

If the sting was real and not just a big show (get ready for that narrative from Russia, holy poo poo) these journalists just show themselves as idiots. "Oh no my precious news cycle and heartfelt tweets of rememberance!"
Hey, if it was their lives on the line, be sure they would be 700% okay with lying to catch the people behind their potential assassin.
On the other hand, Putin can literally have him murdered (again) any time now and just pretend he is still alive.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't get it. How do they catch his potential assassins by staging his murder? I don't understand the logic or the process.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Vegetable posted:

I don't get it. How do they catch his potential assassins by staging his murder? I don't understand the logic or the process.

Snatch squad outside

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1001842369908625409?s=21
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1001843470099722241?s=21

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

^^^or that

Vegetable posted:

Step 1: know murder is planned
Step 2: catch would-be assassin in trap
Step 3: make would-be assassin rat out who hired him

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So there was an actual attempt at murder?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Vegetable posted:

I assume that they already had the trigger man and wanted to trace payments/see who jumped when the hit was a done deed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wistful of Dollars posted:

^^^or that

Step 1: know murder is planned
Step 2: catch would-be assassin in trap
Step 3: make would-be assassin rat out who hired him

More like ‘subvert assassin, publicise death, wait for money to arrive in assassin’s account, track money’.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
OK, that makes much more sense.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Incredible operation and that it worked without anyone getting killed or the sting falling apart is just wow.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I don't buy the story. Not saying that it is false, but there is nothing to back it up and it sounds more like a cheap publicity stunt. What were they thinking???

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nenonen posted:

I don't buy the story. Not saying that it is false, but there is nothing to back it up and it sounds more like a cheap publicity stunt. What were they thinking???

Huh? What do you mean, ‘nothing to back it up’? You think they just randomly decided to arrest those people?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Wat

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

This is some purestrain :2018:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nenonen posted:

one presumes the two people they have in custody will back it up

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

More like ‘subvert assassin, publicise death, wait for money to arrive in assassin’s account, track money’.
Okay yeah this makes a lot more sense to me

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nenonen posted:

Catching the paymaster of an international ring of assassins is a pretty amazing ladder to climb. Once you chase the $$ you don't know where the investigation could end up. The international community is sick of Russia being able to assassinate people practically anywhere in the world, so measures were probably taken or leads were followed, resulting in another assassination being planned.

If this was a publicity stunt they would put the would-be assassins infront of a camera and blabber on about stupid poo poo while they sit in a courtroom jail cell and get yelled at by ukrainians. Instead foreign assets were used to trick the Paymaster into showing his hand, this isn't going to be a public investigation, and the worst is yet to come. This is just step 1 in a long investigation into Russian assassination operations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 30, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I really want to know more about how they pulled this thing off. It sounds absolutely bonkers.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Journalists tend to be huge egotistical babies unfortunately.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Stopping an assassination and disrupting a greater effort to murder even more people, and gathering some evidence on who's behind it is nice and all, but this whole thing hurt my feelings so maybe a bunch of people should have died instead to protect the integrity of the news cycle?

Also this whole thing is unorthodox so I don't like it! I don't believe it without a body, they should have gone after the killer only after he killed someone, not before. It's not fair play.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Journalists tend to be huge egotistical babies unfortunately.

https://twitter.com/CochraneCBC/status/1000089672478089217?s=19

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
local news just started reporting on the murder of the journalist, can't wait for them to catch up with this

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

axeil posted:

I really want to know more about how they pulled this thing off. It sounds absolutely bonkers.

A former soldier in Ukraine was contacted by a Ukrainian national to murder a prominent Russian journalist currently in Ukraine (who happens to write a lot of stuff the Kremlin doesn't like) for money.

The former soldier presumably accepted the offer, but then went to the cops and told them all about it. The cops then started watching the guy who hired him for the hit.

The cops then get in touch with the journalist and fake his death, to make it appear the former soldier killed him as requested. They are then able to see and make records of who the guy who hired him contacts about the murder, where the reward money comes from, etc.

Then they grab the dude who hired him and whoever gave him the money and/or he reported the "successful" murder to.

At this point journalists complain about being misled or whatever and a select few SA posters get butthurt that the (obvious Nazi lover) journalist isn't really dead and glorious Russian assassin guys are in jail.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 30, 2018

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1001863484764717056

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And nowhere in that process did they stop to think about journalists who would post about his death on twitter and then feel embarrassed later. The ends don't justify the means!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Huh? What do you mean, ‘nothing to back it up’? You think they just randomly decided to arrest those people?

I don't know, this is Eastern Europe so anything is possible. If this happened in Russia I bet you wouldn't trust the FSB telling the same story.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nenonen posted:

I don't know, this is Eastern Europe so anything is possible. If this happened in Russia I bet you wouldn't trust the FSB telling the same story.

#1 it's not the FSB saying it
#2 the number of Russian dissidents and journalist being killed makes it far more credible
#3 lol

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Journalists and other figures critical of Russia are being killed at an alarming rate, often with pretty damning evidence the order came straight from the kremlin. A security agency actually trying to do something about this seems good.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nenonen posted:

if you wouldn't trust known liars, why would you trust people who aren't known liars? makes you think.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think Ukraine is just doing this to make russia look bad, like when they shot down that plane or pretended Crimea existed.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Journalists and other figures critical of Russia are being killed at an alarming rate, often with pretty damning evidence the order came straight from the kremlin. A security agency actually trying to do something about this seems good.

I need to look up if any of those complaining about this today wrote that editorial about it yesterday about Ukraine being bad at preventing assassinations.

All the fainting "guardians of truth" also seems to fill to notice that a planned and ordered-to-be-done assassination isn't all that different from a successful one as far as what it says about the one who ordered it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I think Ukraine is just doing this to make russia look bad, like when they shot down that plane or pretended Crimea existed.

No, but it gives a field day for Russian propagandists. You are free to believe that this was a good thing for Ukraine's credibility, of course. I think it was a fuckup.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

No, but it gives a field day for Russian propagandists. You are free to believe that this was a good thing for Ukraine's credibility, of course. I think it was a fuckup.

I think the answer to that is that Ukrainians has long stopped giving a drat about what Russia says and what two-sideist Kremlin-paroting excuses for "journalists" say.

Because if "Russia tried to kill someone but the drat shadey Ukrainian services prevented it but also misinformed the public for under 24 hours to prevent it" is supposed to be a winning argument....

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

I think it was a fuckup.

Well, certainly! Russia couldn't kill that guy, what an embarrassment! A terrible gently caress-up by the Russian security agencies.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nenonen posted:

I still don't even remotely get your angle. How was preventing an assassination that's also disrupted alleged other assassinations a fuckup? If someone came to you saying they had been hired to kill a journalist, how would you have handled the sting operation to try to get as much intel on the people who tried to hire him? Remember, no matter what the outcome russia will just say it's lies.

Journalist is killed: no evidence it was russia, probably his CIA handlers, Ukraine sure has poor internal security!
Journalist isn't killed due to the hired soldier going to the authorities: no evidence russia hired him, he's just a retired soldier making up stories or paid by ukraine/West.
Journalist isn't killed and a clever bit of deception helps them find out more about the people involved: Oh just more lies from the Junta, and hurt feelings of journalists!

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I live in Ukraine and I've seen some crazy poo poo in the almost 2 years I've been here.
But this is some top level "anything is possible" poo poo even for Ukraine.

It's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Holy gently caress what an emotional rollercoaster. Time to read one soldier's war again.