Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Icedude posted:

I can't say I'm enthusiastic about an online Fallout when Bethesda's idea of an online Elder Scrolls ended up being a first-person WoW clone where you had to keep your camera pointed at your targets.

On the other hand, if that 4chan post is true and it's a survival game with building ala Rust/H1Z1/Wurm/etc it could be fun running a blatant raider group with goons and ruining everyone else's day by the usual benefit of teamwork being OP :shrug:

I think the trailer definitely seems to indicate some kind of building/survival simulator as opposed to an MMO. I mean hell, the voiceover literally says 'You must rebuild'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The date on the pipboy in the trailer is October 27 2102. That happens to be the same year Richard Grey fell in some vat of Chemicals and became The Master.
So I guess early super mutant experiments might be a thing?
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline#2102

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Loathsome Road: The Game. You just walk from one end of I-76 to the other while someone babbles on about nothing the entire time.

The only enemy is one extremely stressful RAD meter that slowly ticks up and there's nothing you can do about it because Rad-X hasn't been invented yet

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Valtonen posted:

Wouldve been nice to take out raiding parties of armed settlers to do wasteland mop-up or organized salvaging parties with brahmin to scour the roads of car wrecks.

Far Harbor had a bit of this where settlers will get worried about a threat or invite you to go hunt down a hermit crab and join you and it was probably the only time i've ever enjoyed ~radiant quests~

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

lol

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Really the biggest mistake here is that it's almost certainly running on a further tortured and abused version of Gamebryo.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

Most of those things shouldn't exist yet at this point in the timeline.

The lack of any huge factions is alright. This location is unheard of, so you also get the possibility of canon being created by dev events and player achievements.

There is a lot of promise that will never be followed up on because get ready for Farmville VR 76'

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doorknob Slobber posted:

99% of the assets in the teaser seem like they're straight from fallout 4. Same engine, same assets, doubt if there is any online poo poo that its going to be very big. Its a New Vegas style spin off hopefully with some UI improvements for building our new town outside of vault 76.

Eh, assets are relatively easily portable, and if there's much online component at all like they're saying, it'll have to be a different engine. Considering it's a spinoff, asset reuse was going to be inevitable.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

AlternateAccount posted:

Really the biggest mistake here is that it's almost certainly running on a further tortured and abused version of Gamebryo.

Since this is probably the single thing that a.) keeps the game moddable and b.) keeps it from being an MMO, I'm happy for them to keep duct taping games to this engine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I agree. They plopped a vague (potentially misleading) teaser two weeks before releasing any specific information. The rumors are leading to pessimistic speculation, but they set themselves up for this themselves.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
I was excited but fortunately the forums were here to make me disappointed in advance instead thanks Games.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

My God, imagine a Bethesda game with a new engine that would let you do things such as:

use KBM and xinput at the same time

walk through doors while holding the walk/run key

walk around on moving platforms

basically the year 3000

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Rinkles posted:

I agree. They plopped a vague (potentially misleading) teaser two weeks before releasing any specific information. The rumors are leading to pessimistic speculation, but they set themselves up for this themselves.

The game is going to sell like hotcakes regardless so I doubt they care

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

2house2fly posted:

This. Bethsoft is the Metallica of games: they will sell millions with no question, while at the same time it's always cool to bash them.

Edit: Lars = Todd

..Lars Toddrich

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This but Fallout:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/258262904091058176?lang=en

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I imagine it'll at least mildly irritate Pete Hines.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

lol "pessimistic speculation"

like anyone will seriously give a poo poo after they put their E3 show and hype things up again

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Say what you will about Bethesda (I'm certainly not going to stop calling them out for doing stuff that I think is dumb/bad), but they've turned Fallout into a mega-successful IP that's more or less a license to print money. I'm almost surprised they haven't milked it more, a la Disney with Star Wars

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hawowanlawow posted:

My God, imagine a Bethesda game with a new engine that would let you do things such as:

use KBM and xinput at the same time

walk through doors while holding the walk/run key

walk around on moving platforms

basically the year 3000

Walk into a building without a loading screen

Have more than eight people in a room

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Loathsome Road: The Game. You just walk from one end of I-76 to the other while someone babbles on about nothing the entire time.

I'm down.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

frajaq posted:

lol "pessimistic speculation"

like anyone will seriously give a poo poo after they put their E3 show and hype things up again

A bad news cycle can have lasting effects, but I'm more annoyed that they weren't more forthcoming.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

chaosapiant posted:

Since this is probably the single thing that a.) keeps the game moddable and b.) keeps it from being an MMO, I'm happy for them to keep duct taping games to this engine.

doesn't interplay(or whoever ended up with the corpse of interplay) still own the rights to any potential fallout mmo? I remember originally that was something they kept when they sold the Fallout IP to Bethesda.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is it me or does there seem to be a bit of unnecessary overlap between the potential of Fallout '76 and Rage 2? Both post apocalyptic, both based around a road/roads, both shooters, both have online components.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Doorknob Slobber posted:

doesn't interplay(or whoever ended up with the corpse of interplay) still own the rights to any potential fallout mmo? I remember originally that was something they kept when they sold the Fallout IP to Bethesda.

Apparently Interplay/whoever' keeping the rights was contingent on them releasing a Fallout MMO before a certain time period passed--that deadline came and went, and Bethesda scooped up the Fallout MMO rights

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The online rumors have me concerned that there will come a day when teenagers and poopsockers I do not know will call me racial slurs for using sub-optimal character builds for my vault dweller.

I just hope it's like minecraft or borderlands, where the online component is optional and controllable.

Otherwise I'm going to be playing with goons with the singular purpose of disrupting the fun of the aforementioned pubbies.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Riatsala posted:

The online rumors have me concerned that there will come a day when teenagers and poopsockers I do not know will call me racial slurs for using sub-optimal character builds for my vault dweller.

I just hope it's like minecraft or borderlands, where the online component is optional and controllable.

Otherwise I'm going to be playing with goons with the singular purpose of disrupting the fun of the aforementioned pubbies.

Eh, Skyrim and Fallout 4 made it impossible to make bad, good, unique, or original characters. Everyone will be level 60 and have all perks unlocked and nothing will matter.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

chaosapiant posted:

Is it me or does there seem to be a bit of unnecessary overlap between the potential of Fallout '76 and Rage 2? Both post apocalyptic, both based around a road/roads, both shooters, both have online components.

Considering we know virtually nothing about Fallout76 and only know you can shoot people and drive cars in RAGE 2 I think it's a bit premature to start guessing at overlap.

Bethesda and the spinoff of Interplay also had themselves a nice lawsuit a couple years back so Bethesda could block the release of whatever MMO was being dreamed up and wrest control of the entire IP for themselves. I seem to remember them winning, too. So guessing that this will be ESO: Fallout isn't entirely unfounded.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Riatsala posted:

If the rust/arklike clone rumors are true I probably actually won't buy it. I could never really get into those games, partly because I'm boring and have no friends to play with.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Rinkles posted:

I imagine someone at Bethesda there's a group of community managers and marketers absolutely freaking out right now. Guys, the SA thread is pretty lukewarm about our announcement! If the grognardiest mother fuckers on the internet who have never liked a thing before ever don't like our announcement then it's all over.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I could never really get into those games, partly because I'm boring and have no friends to play with.

That's what goons are for.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

If the rust/arklike clone rumors are true I probably actually won't buy it. I could never really get into those games, partly because I'm boring and have no friends to play with.

Yeah, I'm not much of a fan of punishing survival craft games, less so ones where the enemy is other players.

If it's fairly chill and laid back or more co-op focused, I might be interested.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Sinteres posted:

That's what goons are for.

If this Rust-clone is what the game ends up being, I might have to finally break the seal and join some goon servers or however goons play together online

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm hoping beyond hope that there isn't a new game engine involved. Because that will limit what can be done wrt multiplayer. And who knows, the "online" poo poo might just mean better/more integration with the Bethesda Modding framework.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Anyways, I blame ESO for the lack of a new Elder Scrolls game, so if there's now a Fallout Online I'll be pretty annoyed and uninterested. But a survival type game would interest me, I love that poo poo. Best possible outcome: This is all a major distraction for the real announcement; Elder Scrolls 6. It'll never happen though.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Sheen Sheen posted:

Say what you will about Bethesda (I'm certainly not going to stop calling them out for doing stuff that I think is dumb/bad), but they've turned Fallout into a mega-successful IP that's more or less a license to print money. I'm almost surprised they haven't milked it more, a la Disney with Star Wars

I do actually give them some credit for that. Quite a bit, actually. The gap between Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 was 7 years. Sure, we got New Vegas but they didn't develop that one...and it was still 5 years between it and FO4.

It would be really easy to come out with a "new" Fallout and/or Elder Scrolls game staggered every 2 years by just throwing a new story onto the existing engine and pushing it out the door. That they show any restraint at all in that sense is frankly kind of a wonder in the modern AAA setting. The games may be a janky mess of too many ideas not implemented or thought-out fully...but they're usually at least *fun* janky messes, and the ease with which they can be modded almost always improves the experience by orders of magnitude.

I guess what I mean is that when Bethesda puts out a "bad" game it is somehow usually still infinitely more playable and fun to screw around in than almost any other developer and I'm not sure I can actually quantify why that is.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

Anyways, I blame ESO for the lack of a new Elder Scrolls game, so if there's now a Fallout Online I'll be pretty annoyed and uninterested. But a survival type game would interest me, I love that poo poo. Best possible outcome: This is all a major distraction for the real announcement; Elder Scrolls 6. It'll never happen though.

It's not like Square stopped making Final Fantasy games because they have two Final Fantasy MMOs. I don't know why Bethesda put ES6 so far on the back burner, but my guess is that ESO isn't the biggest reason. I hope it'll be because they have another giant open world RPG IP to announce at E3 this year.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sheen Sheen posted:

If this Rust-clone is what the game ends up being, I might have to finally break the seal and join some goon servers or however goons play together online

I'd be tempted, but I'd need to know what the clan's policy is regarding mutants first.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Sheen Sheen posted:

If there's cooperative multi there will be plenty of find a goon options. If there is cooperative multi that lets you gently caress over other people trying to enjoy the game there will be a website, recruitment drive, goon charter and functional leadership heirarchy months before the game launches.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

counterfeitsaint posted:

If the grognardiest mother fuckers on the internet who have never liked a thing before ever don't like our announcement then it's all over.

Look at this idiot who's never been to No Mutants Allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sinteres posted:

It's not like Square stopped making Final Fantasy games because they have two Final Fantasy MMOs. I don't know why Bethesda put ES6 so far on the back burner, but my guess is that ESO isn't the biggest reason.

So far the pattern has been two Fallout games in-between Elder Scrolls releases and now we still have a potential new game in "Starfield" to increase the wait time on Elder Scrolls. Granted New Vegas was a different team, but still.