Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Where do you work and are they hiring?

Oh man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

hey guys CANADA

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Edit: oh its just Canada, great. I'll just be here in America slaving away.

You have the right to work because freedom

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol I get 30 sick days a year, 3 weeks vacation (initially then 4 weeks after 4 years here) plus 3 PTO days a quarter along with the 12 stat holidays, 7.25h work days, and a pension :smug:

5 weeks vacation over here, pension, health insurance, public transportation contribution that exceeds the cost of my monthly ticket, a card that allows me free access to almost every gym, sauna and other sport activity, lunch vouchers :smug:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Edit: oh its just Canada, great. I'll just be here in America slaving away.

We actually are hiring!!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CLAM DOWN posted:

We actually are hiring!!

So what I'm hearing is start considering a move to Vancouver.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea but you cant even afford a house in your own city so screw that

Edit: but the sushi in Vancouver is really good so that kind of makes it worth it

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

So what I'm hearing is start considering a move to Vancouver.

Unless you work in TV, do not move to Vancouver.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Ha. I can't afford a house anywhere until my student debt goes away and I get a reasonable salary :smith:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Ha. I can't afford a house anywhere until my student debt goes away and I get a reasonable salary :smith:

fuckin same. im 25 now and ill be lucky if i can buy a house any time in the next ~10-15 years

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sepist posted:

Yea but you cant even afford a house in your own city so screw that

Edit: but the sushi in Vancouver is really good so that kind of makes it worth it

You don't need to buy a house. No one does. They haven't even built new houses in the city in a while. The majority of this city rents and doesn't live in the actual "city of vancouver", we have a good transit system for commuting from neighbouring cities/suburbs. So I have a pretty nice place that I can easily afford, and can easily commute via our excellent and cheap skytrain system.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I get 4 PTO days a year and a week of vacation after 12 months. But I don't have to live in Canada, so... :shrug:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sepist posted:

Sometimes I respond to a slack message and bill for it. Not often but I do

Once upon a time the MSP that ownership inflicted on me billed me 15 minutes for reading an email on Sunday. Just reading it. No action.

Yeah, that's a 5 figure invoice that's not getting paid without removing the blatant fraud.

They also sat on a request to "please put together a plan for upgrading our WAPs" for four months, then billed 5 hours at their top rate for two people having a meeting and deciding maybe we should update our WAPs. Actually planning the upgrade was a separate line item.

Not signing invoices pays as much as signing them assholes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

4 PTO days a year and a week of vacation after 12 months

What the gently caress

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

mllaneza posted:

Once upon a time the MSP that ownership inflicted on me billed me 15 minutes for reading an email on Sunday. Just reading it. No action.

Yeah, that's a 5 figure invoice that's not getting paid without removing the blatant fraud.

They also sat on a request to "please put together a plan for upgrading our WAPs" for four months, then billed 5 hours at their top rate for two people having a meeting and deciding maybe we should update our WAPs. Actually planning the upgrade was a separate line item.

Not signing invoices pays as much as signing them assholes.

As an employee I was notorious for not billing for answering emails. Projects they didnt mind but T&M I always ground their gears.

Why would a WAP upgrade plan not count as pre-sales? That kind of stuff if typically a non-billable item. Even in a project, internal meetings shouldn't be billable.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

What the gently caress

Welcome to America.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

I get 4 PTO days a year and a week of vacation after 12 months. But I don't have to live in Canada, so... :shrug:

And you have FREEEEDOOOMMM. Can't beat that.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

I get 4 PTO days a year and a week of vacation after 12 months.

:stare:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Volguus posted:

And you have FREEEEDOOOMMM. Can't beat that.

I make at least 25% more than my Canadian counterparts and my insurance is top notch...but yeah.

I'd take the extra PTO and vacation in a heartbeat.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

ChubbyThePhat posted:

:smith:

Sprechensiesexy posted:

5 weeks vacation over here, pension, health insurance, public transportation contribution that exceeds the cost of my monthly ticket, a card that allows me free access to almost every gym, sauna and other sport activity, lunch vouchers :smug:
Good stuff. I have almost the same. Your gym membership beats what i got offered
for me;

5 weeks vacation. Health insurance, pension, Commute is covered by km (they offer a ov chip card, but I commute by bike so I opted for free extra money) A discount on almost every gym. free lunch. Bike plan.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I would really really like to commute by bike. I hate anyone that can do it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Welcome to America.

My last job had a few American companies under the same umbrella, and they all got WAY more than that and a way better deal. I'm not making GBS threads on America in general (in this case), that goon has a terrible job/employer and should get to job hunting.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I can walk or commute by bike, but there is a free bus that takes a little less time when it's all said and done. My commute is usually 12-15 mins. It's awesome.

I would still consider moving to Canada. The wife has visited Vancouver and she loved it, we'll be there for a couple of days in August. I think I'd rather be near the Canadian Rockies, but maybe one day. Our families are already pissed we live far enough away from them. We'd probably get disowned if we left the country.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Vancouver was great, Montreal was amazing. I would move to Montreal if I wasn't locked to long island by refusing to leave my friends behind.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Commuting by bike is so chill. It takes me 20 minutes to get to work. But an hour and a half to get home after work. When it's sunny out. It's so nice to just go on a scenic route

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Anything else less than two weeks PTO in a professional setting in is an indication that something is really wrong and would give me pause about accepting a position there. Krispy is getting hosed, even with good insurance.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sefal posted:

Commuting by bike is so chill. It takes me 20 minutes to get to work. But an hour and a half to get home after work. When it's sunny out. It's so nice to just go on a scenic route

That is one thing I jealous of about non-texas places. If I road my bike home from work I would melt.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

NeuralSpark posted:

Anything else less than two weeks PTO in a professional setting in is an indication that something is really wrong and would give me pause about accepting a position there. Krispy is getting hosed, even with good insurance.

Oh I know. I think it's because I'm hourly versus salary. It's a very odd thing and I'm not sure I would have stayed through my contractor phase had I realized this was what I was looking forward to.

I'm giving it a year because it's giving me lots of training opportunities, but when I do my exit interview I'm making very clear exactly why this job sucks.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sickening posted:

That is one thing I jealous of about non-texas places. If I road my bike home from work I would melt.

So much this. My last job was a quick 5 minute drive that could have easily been biked. In Houston though? Yea gently caress that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I absolutely cannot imagine only having 4 days pto wtffffffff

I've had 21 at minimum since I started working. I'm up to 28 now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Krispy Wafer posted:

gently caress you are working at a lovely place.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I start my 16th year at this company. I finally get 4 weeks of PTO.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I only get 5 days PTO, but 3 weeks vacation.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, even at lovely MSP $oldJob I managed to get 2 weeks a year.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

gently caress you are working at a lovely place.

Technically I get 48 hours of PTO, but I work 12 hour days so....effectively 4 days. But it's not like 6 days compares very well for an IT job either.

I still can't figure out the 1 week after 12 months. That's just mean.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The reason I've stayed at my current company for so long is the PTO and health benefits. 28 days of PTO plus 10 or 12 holidays, and a 500 dollar deductible 90/10 PPO that the company covers like 80% of the premiums for.

I'm sure I could make more cash somewhere else, but after factoring in benefits it would be a net loss as far as overall compensations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Old job was 2 weeks base, 3 weeks after 3 years and the 4 after 10 years. And that was pretty generous considering automotive.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

In addition the approx 15 days of PTO, I get federal insurance at a private company, 10-ish holidays, cell phone stipend, home internet reimbursement and 2 days wfh/week.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sepist posted:

Why would a WAP upgrade plan not count as pre-sales? That kind of stuff if typically a non-billable item. Even in a project, internal meetings shouldn't be billable.

The owner of the MSP was college roommates with one of the owners of the company I worked for. They got away with hella poo poo. Dude took me out to lunch when I was on the other coast. We got billed. I signed those; having a native guide to eating in Manhattan was worth it.

Visiting the New York office, I once watched my favorite vendor get his dumb rear end killed on the sidewalk. It was Saturday, we'd met outside the corporate apartment, and just started walking around. We were shooting the breeze and hoping to walk place some place that looked good for lunch. Well, we ended up in Bed Stuy and while there were a lot of restaurant supply stores, places actually serving food were scarce. I'm from California, so the VOIP salesman from New Jersey feels like the responsible host.

He's from Jersey. Waaaaay upstate New Jersey; he lives on three acres and can't see a neighbor from any window in his house.

We're in Manhattan.

What does he do to take charge and find us someplace to have lunch ? He stops a woman walking the other way by putting a hand on her shoulder. He asks her "Is there anywhere to eat near here ?"

"I'm going to have to explain this to his wife." flashes through my mind. I honestly believe for a moment that I'm about to watch a man die. I figure a facefull of pepper spray is the least he can look forward to. The poor woman he accosted just backs off looking very agitated and disappears in foot traffic.

We ended up at the now-closed Prince Street Cafe. It turns out In actually would step over a body to eat there, especially on someone else's tab. If you're local, see if you can find where those chefs ended up. My borscht and his cheeseburger and fries were impeccable.

e. As much as the ad agency sucked overall, having 20 vacation days a year, plus Summer Fridays (4 of 8 Fridays off during summer months), for my last two years was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
im a contractor making $15 an hour with 0 benefits and 0 PTO

but it's at a very large corporation and there's lots of room for advancement (everyone on my team has been here < 1 year. people get promoted a lot) and they make it clear that this is just a "get your foot in the door with $company" position, which is good.

and i only work four 10-hour days a week with no overtime ever, which is good.

everything about the job is great except the pay, which is bad. im gonna stick around here for another 7-9 months and see what happens. if anything, it's nice to have $company on my resume