Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Bholder posted:

I just know Bethesda can do better, and usually with Fallout games the one thing that holds them back is the Fallout name
What's holding Bethesda back in the Fallout series is a fundamental misunderstanding of what Fallout is about and its themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

MikeJF posted:

Building poo poo in fallout 4 and playing fallout shelter made me go 'I want a proper vault/vault city building game where it's the core of the game rather than a weird side thing' so I'm happy.

Then again I fuckin' love simulation games.

Same except a fallout game with no building at all, just exploration

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Eh, Skyrim and Fallout 4 made it impossible to make bad, good, unique, or original characters. Everyone will be level 60 and have all perks unlocked and nothing will matter.

Then you were playing those games wrong

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i really hope bethesda is finally breaking their "no prequels" rule for this because it's part of why fallout 3 (and the main quest of fallout 4) was weird and disjointed as gently caress

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a fallout themed base builder prequel where you build a settlement that you can save and upload as the base for the main city in Fallout 5: New Appalachia

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

Most of those things shouldn't exist yet at this point in the timeline.

I'm a little behind on the thread, I just heard about f:76, but this is what I'm excited about. Free Bethesda from the baggage of 6 games. Hopefully.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

What's holding Bethesda back in the Fallout series is a fundamental misunderstanding of what Fallout is about and its themes.

Exactly, New Vegas fans want deep character stories about how post-apocalyptic communities are formed and slavery is totally cool and good, while Bethesda wants to make a post-apocalyptic themepark.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

achillesforever6 posted:

They own the property so they decide what it's about and what it's themes are

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

They own the IP, what are you talking about dude

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't think they even misunderstood the first two games, they just decided they didn't want to do regional power struggles in the irradiated wild west

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i really hope bethesda is finally breaking their "no prequels" rule for this because it's part of why fallout 3 (and the main quest of fallout 4) was weird and disjointed as gently caress

Unless they are specifically changing the lore, vault 76 is one of those control vaults that opened after only twenty years, isn't it?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Bethesda's bug-ridden open world games, janky rear end engine and all. :kiddo:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

evilmiera posted:

Unless they are specifically changing the lore, vault 76 is one of those control vaults that opened after only twenty years, isn't it?
yep

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Sinteres posted:

It's not like Square stopped making Final Fantasy games because they have two Final Fantasy MMOs. I don't know why Bethesda put ES6 so far on the back burner, but my guess is that ESO isn't the biggest reason. I hope it'll be because they have another giant open world RPG IP to announce at E3 this year.

They've implied a few times that ES6 is well into pre-development, but that their vision for the game fits better with next gen tech than current gen. This fits with other rumors that are out there, namely that Starfield is going to be the first incarnation of their post-Gamebryo engine, and ES6 will use a refined version of it on next-gen machines.

So, probably like Fall 2019/2020, wouldn't surprise me to see the first ES6 hype at one of the big announces for new hardware.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Have a feeling this will combine the intros to Fallout 4 and 3. IIRC this one starts around 20 years after the bombs fall, so you'll enter the vault as a child (allowing a bit of pre-war exposition that Bethesda seem to be into), age whilst doing some tutorials ala Fallout 3, then finally leave as a 20-something adult into the world.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

2house2fly posted:

I don't think they even misunderstood the first two games, they just decided they didn't want to do regional power struggles in the irradiated wild west

They certainly kept up with the bugginess and broken gameplay though. :v:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Why do people keep bringing up the Master? Isn't that taking place at roughly the same time but also over 3000 miles away?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Randaconda posted:

I like Bethesda's bug-ridden open world games, janky rear end engine and all. :kiddo:

Almost everyone in here does, you just have to make sure you preface everything with "I mean, Bethesda is a Bad Developer, but...." or no one will take you seriously!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Bholder posted:

Exactly, New Vegas fans want deep character stories about how post-apocalyptic communities are formed and slavery is totally cool and good, while Bethesda wants to make a post-apocalyptic themepark.

As a new Vegas fan, I’d like to say slavery is NOT cool and good and is in fact v bad. thanks for listenin

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

counterfeitsaint posted:

Why do people keep bringing up the Master? Isn't that taking place at roughly the same time but also over 3000 miles away?
yeah

but the US government (at that point, soon the enclave) was developing FEV in a number of places so it doesn't mean we won't see super mutants of some sort

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ComposerGuy posted:

Almost everyone in here does, you just have to make sure you preface everything with "I mean, Bethesda is a Bad Developer, but...." or no one will take you seriously!

At this point, mammoths/super mutants falling out of the sky and dying on impact is a feature, not a bug.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I like Fallout games

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Randaconda posted:

At this point, mammoths/super mutants falling out of the sky and dying on impact is a feature, not a bug.

Every time that happens I just think about that part in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where a sperm whale is poofed into existence and goes through a self-awakening before splatting into the ground and smile.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

frajaq posted:

They own the IP, what are you talking about dude
Yeah that's true I guess I'm being the stereotypical Fallout 1&2/NV fan who dislikes how shallow FO3 and 4 are.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah that's true I guess I'm being the stereotypical Fallout 1&2/NV fan who dislikes how shallow FO3 and 4 are.
bethesda does have good writers, but it seems they're only given some DLCs and the dum dums write the main plot

same deal with oblivion/skyrim

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Teikanmi posted:

I like Fallout games

gently caress you.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Nothing wrong with this. I played 3 and 4 and enjoyed them as well, but the West Coast series is better.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

My favorite part of every Bethesda game is the beginning, when there's a whole new world to explore and see what the rest of the map looks like. I'll be disappointed if this isn't a story driven RPG, but honestly as long as exploration's a big part of it I'll still want to check it out at some point anyway.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

achillesforever6 posted:

There's at least a couple of us still out there

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Far Harbor's writing is just as good as anything in FO 1 and 2 or New Vegas.

Also Nick Valentine is cool and good.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Speaking of fallout 2, I'm thinking of starting a run with the jinxed trait. Does any goon have an idea on how my SPECIAL points should be allocated? Thanks.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ComposerGuy posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but it's definitely the best work Bethesda's done with the series in terms of story content. The narrow focus helped the storytelling a ton, which is obviously something that's hard to replicate in a main release since sprawling open worlds to explore are kind of Bethesda's thing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ComposerGuy posted:

Also Nick Valentine is cool and good.

Far Harbor and Nick Valentine were great, and I sincerely hope Fallout 76 is written more like them and less like the rest of Fallout 4.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Far Harbor and Nick Valentine were great, and I sincerely hope Fallout 76 is written more like them and less like the rest of Fallout 4.

You got it! Fallout 76 will feature hours of computer hacking simulation puzzles!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fallout 4 gets a lot of poo poo (mostly deserved) but I think they deserve credit for making a game where there's four factions to choose from and you can't rise to the top of everyone and you can doublecross people and what not. I feel like for all the lack of actual roleplaying the game has, it does have that and it's not terrible.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

Fallout 4 gets a lot of poo poo (mostly deserved) but I think they deserve credit for making a game where there's four factions to choose from and you can't rise to the top of everyone and you can doublecross people and what not. I feel like for all the lack of actual roleplaying the game has, it does have that and it's not terrible.
They did it before with Morrowind, just the lead writer of that game who is autism incarnate burned himself out of the game industry for working way too hard and snorting too much coke

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

chaosapiant posted:

Vanilla FO4 is fine. Like, I've never once played a Bethesda game and really cared about the main story questline. To me, games like FO4 and Skyrim are a series of self-contained mini-narratives (all the side-quests) like function almost like episodes of a non-serialized TV show.

Basically "Have Gun, Will Travel" in the post-apocalypse. I show up, solve some local problem, and then ride off into the sunset on my power armor. Tune in next week!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't know what it was about FO4, but the gunplay really stuck to me. I could just wander around aimlessly shooting raiders and it was fun.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Early Fallout set along a highway?

Death road to Canada: Fallout edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

ComposerGuy posted:

Vanilla FO4 is fine. Like, I've never once played a Bethesda game and really cared about the main story questline. To me, games like FO4 and Skyrim are a series of self-contained mini-narratives (all the side-quests) like function almost like episodes of a non-serialized TV show.

Basically "Have Gun, Will Travel" in the post-apocalypse. I show up, solve some local problem, and then ride off into the sunset on my power armor. Tune in next week!

I was happy with that in Skyrim, where they didn't rely so heavily on Radiant quests. Not so much in Fallout 4, where they did.