Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Hard Knocks and Hired Muscle come to mind for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

apophenium posted:

Hard Knocks and Hired Muscle come to mind for me.

oh god, I was thinking of hard knocks but couldn't find it because I didn't remember the name and thought it was an asset that started in play and was level one or two, so my filtered searches never found it

:negative:

thank you!

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

You could also pick up a couple of bullet proof vests to absorb damage instead.

Or just ignore it, starting with two damage isn't the worst thing in the world.

Just think about who you'll play next after the current campaign spirals out of control. :xcom:

I suppose not.

I might just ride it out and try to play a little more safe from now.
Thanks for the advice!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

If you’re not hanging on the edge of your seat wondering if the first pull of the encounter is going to murder your investigator you are probably playing a better deck than me.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

IcePhoenix posted:

oh god, I was thinking of hard knocks but couldn't find it because I didn't remember the name and thought it was an asset that started in play and was level one or two, so my filtered searches never found it

:negative:

thank you!

Unless your off-cards are really key to your build, Jenny usually wants to run streetwise and physical training when you get a bit of xp. You can then dump cash to boost any of your stats.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

New pack is up and I love this. Couple new cards shown, including a new evade trick which looks good for Wendy.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Kalko posted:

New pack is up and I love this. Couple new cards shown, including a new evade trick which looks good for Wendy.

That is so cool. I am continually impressed with the gimmicks they come up with

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

alansmithee posted:

Unless your off-cards are really key to your build, Jenny usually wants to run streetwise and physical training when you get a bit of xp. You can then dump cash to boost any of your stats.

I'm not sure on the build, just trying to help a friend who finished with 22 and 15 resources at the end of our last two games. I've been rolling Sephina, who is a ton of fun.

Kalko posted:

I wonder how bad of an idea it would be to use a gimmick deck that's planning on becoming that thing once you get to that point in the campaign.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's called picking Lola.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
After talking a bit about playing solo, I'm trying to run Carcosa as solo flighty Wendy, and I'm slamming into the Royal Emissary and the fires and the Poltergeist and the Rotting Remains and aaaahhhh... Wendy is crazy now.

How do you deal with him with a non-combat character? Just outpace the Horror race?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Lichtenstein posted:

It's called picking Lola.

Lola and the paintergirl are the only two pre-Forgotten Age heroes we've never tried. Are they actually any good?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Soothing Vapors posted:

Lola and the paintergirl are the only two pre-Forgotten Age heroes we've never tried. Are they actually any good?

Sephina owns. I went all in on her gimmick and went for building around mystic cards with rogue fillers rather than focusing on rogue cards. This is partially because my group is also running a Jenny, but her high will and sanity makes the mystic focus very good, imo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Here's a fun idea: build a solo deck with no deckbuilding restrictions on class or XP and play on the hardest difficulty. Who would you go with and what would the deck look like?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

Lola is trash. She's actually far more specific than her multi-color nature would suggest (strong preference for passive effects due to the role mechanic) and right now the deckbuilding advantages do not really offer nearly enough advantage to make up for the role system and lack of proper ID ability. Consider her challenge mode.

Sefina, on the other hand, is actually pretty nice. She's really a fake mystic though - her zero level deck strongly leans purple, but expands green with xp. She's really hosed by inability to upgrade shrivelling, but her ability is ace for both pre-game tutoring and the power of repeating certain events ad nauseam with painted worlds. Consider Hot Streak being playable up to five times without shuffling, out-Jennying Jenny, while retaining an additional gimmick.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

Lola is trash. She's actually far more specific than her multi-color nature would suggest (strong preference for passive effects due to the role mechanic) and right now the deckbuilding advantages do not really offer nearly enough advantage to make up for the role system and lack of proper ID ability. Consider her challenge mode.

Sefina, on the other hand, is actually pretty nice. She's really a fake mystic though - her zero level deck strongly leans purple, but expands green with xp. She's really hosed by inability to upgrade shrivelling, but her ability is ace for both pre-game tutoring and the power of repeating certain events ad nauseam with painted worlds. Consider Hot Streak being playable up to five times without shuffling, out-Jennying Jenny, while retaining an additional gimmick.

IcePhoenix posted:

Sephina owns. I went all in on her gimmick and went for building around mystic cards with rogue fillers rather than focusing on rogue cards. This is partially because my group is also running a Jenny, but her high will and sanity makes the mystic focus very good, imo.

THat was our take on Lola too -- she seems really underwhelming. We kind of lumped Sefina in with her, but this is making me want to try her out next run. Thanks guys!

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

After talking a bit about playing solo, I'm trying to run Carcosa as solo flighty Wendy, and I'm slamming into the Royal Emissary and the fires and the Poltergeist and the Rotting Remains and aaaahhhh... Wendy is crazy now.

How do you deal with him with a non-combat character? Just outpace the Horror race?

There's two theories on this:
Move like the wind itself and use low cost events and skills to boost your baseball bat where needed and then get the heck out of Dodge. Once you know the scenario layout you can get more efficient. Having Leo out by turn 2 makes you even faster.
Abuse your character gimmick so you're cycling a nice set of low cost events and skills so you can repeatedly commit your way over the peskiest of enemies or distraction skill tests for as long as you need to max out the XP harvest. Fight or Flight makes your Horror work for you if you've got that in your cycle set.

My Wendy works OK on the speed route; so far she hasn't had the lucky breakout to run the board.
You don't have to be crazy to work here, but it sure helps.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Xlorp posted:

Abuse your character gimmick so you're cycling a nice set of low cost events and skills so you can repeatedly commit your way over the peskiest of enemies or distraction skill tests for as long as you need to max out the XP harvest. Fight or Flight makes your Horror work for you if you've got that in your cycle set.
Never played Wendy seriously, the idea of having an infinite deck of 10 cards is hilarious.

I'll give this a go, thanks. I assume you're trying to whack the Royal Emissary the turn it pops up so you can outlast the Horror while thinning your deck?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lichtenstein posted:

Consider Hot Streak being playable up to five times without shuffling, out-Jennying Jenny, while retaining an additional gimmick.

Imagine playing Ace in the Hole four times in one game as well :getin:

Also, while I agree that not being able to upgrade shriveling isn't great, Song of the Dead is also a very nice attack spell, especially if you have a fair chunk of skull tokens in the bag.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

IcePhoenix posted:

Imagine playing Ace in the Hole four times in one game as well :getin:

Also, while I agree that not being able to upgrade shriveling isn't great, Song of the Dead is also a very nice attack spell, especially if you have a fair chunk of skull tokens in the bag.

I believe painted world says it can't copy exceptional events.

That said, Sefina is really solid. She doesn't take the ramp time that some of the other rogues do just because her ability gives her a better chance of getting what she needs early.

Lola is interesting. I'm not sure if she's good yet because as was mentioned you kinda need to rely heavy on passives, but she's also someone who will gain a lot as the card pool increases. She's probably around Caroline in power level. Way above Calvin for sure (who I still maintain is pretty much junk, it's especially funny how much he ended up nerfed when they had just recently released Key of Ys.). Calvin really needed to have base stats of 2, or more health/sanity and a cap to his bonuses, or something.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

alansmithee posted:

I believe painted world says it can't copy exceptional events.

*looks*

huh, well poo poo, somehow our entire group missed that

at least it only mattered once, since the other game where I drew it in my opening hand it got removed from the game by my weakness before I could use it

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Never played Wendy seriously, the idea of having an infinite deck of 10 cards is hilarious.

I'll give this a go, thanks. I assume you're trying to whack the Royal Emissary the turn it pops up so you can outlast the Horror while thinning your deck?

You have to be able to nuke it immediately with the cards in your hand. If you see the rope-a-dope setup coming for you, do the last needful and escape.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Wow, Labyrinths of Lunacy finally released

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/6/7/maddening-mazes/

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

I was a little bummed to learn that if you want to play the 12 player version you have to have 3 copies of the pack to do so.

Then I remembered I don't even have 12 friends, let alone 12 that play this game.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Is the labyrinth better as three simultaneous solo games or one three player game?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Mine arrived today (UK) and I was surprised to find out its not POD. Also the blister pack is loving huge. Do we know if this is what's happening going forward or is it a one off? Siege of annuminas for Lotr GenCon 16 was the last thing like that I got and that was POD.

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I was a little bummed to learn that if you want to play the 12 player version you have to have 3 copies of the pack to do so.

Then I remembered I don't even have 12 friends, let alone 12 that play this game.

You can do three one player games if you want :getin:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
My store is going to try to do a full 12-player game in a few weeks. Three of us play regularly and picked up the scenario today and decided to just use our copies for the event. When we did the first Invocation event we had a great turnout, so we're hoping we can fill up all three games.

We looked over some of the agendas and acts, and they look bonkers. I'm really looking forward to playing it!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

My store is going to try to do a full 12-player game in a few weeks. Three of us play regularly and picked up the scenario today and decided to just use our copies for the event. When we did the first Invocation event we had a great turnout, so we're hoping we can fill up all three games.

We looked over some of the agendas and acts, and they look bonkers. I'm really looking forward to playing it!

Tell me you live in Chicago and I can go to this store

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Richmond, VA.

You can still visit, though! :v:

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
My local store ran it a few weeks ago and apparently everyone lost because no one was willing to advance the act/agenda deck.

How is this a valid playstyle?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

We did Labrynths at the FFG center a while back and it's a really cool concept but our group got super hosed because one group was like "we need doom!" and so we built up a bunch of doom in a turn for them with mechanics we had available to us and then when we went to trade it to them they were like "oh we don't need it now" so our agenda advanced way before we were ready for it and it killed our entire group.

Outside of that really lovely thing though it was really cool and I liked it a lot, which is why I'm so incredibly salty about it.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 8, 2018

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Threads of Fate spoilers are now up (set Encounter Set to blank). Scene of the Crime seems real good. Takes a bit of planning and I guess if you want two clues out of it you probably have to take a hit on your previous turn, but test-free clue gathering is strong.

Persuasion is pretty funny and possibly good in solo since shuffling something back is probably as good as killing it a lot of the time, and without checking I'm going to say there are a lot of 2-3HP humanoid enemies that have zero horror.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Kalko posted:

Threads of Fate spoilers are now up (set Encounter Set to blank). Scene of the Crime seems real good. Takes a bit of planning and I guess if you want two clues out of it you probably have to take a hit on your previous turn, but test-free clue gathering is strong.

You can also combo it with On The Hunt, which is interesting with Roland. 2 clues + 1 for the kill is pretty nice. Extra points for playing Evidence afterwards :)

A lot of good cards this pack, I'm guessing we'll see cigarettes in a lot of Rogue decks.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Between Scene of the Crime, Evidence, Working a Hunch, Roland's ability and some Flashlights and/or Magnifying Glasses I think he's really starting to live up to that subclass Seeker of his.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

My duders, think of the crime scene skids. Play it, evade, perhaps follow up with an eavesdrop or lockpick before bidding farewell to whatever has happened to spawn on you.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Played through Essex County Express and Blood on the Altar for the first time last night. Beat both pretty handily - we definitely got lucky on the Mythos draws for Essex County, and for finding the secret chamber and the key in Blood on the Altar on the 2nd and 3rd rooms we checked, respectively.

Ursula Downs is a clue-finding beast if you give her Pathfinder and Shortcut etc. Wasn't particularly helpful in Essex County Express but I cleaned up on Blood on the Altar. It's amazing triggering Pathfinder for a free movement, moving into a room with 3 clues, and adding the upgraded Deduction to her free investigate ability to find 3 clues without spending a single action.

Regarding Essex County Express - is it ever worthwhile to go back for helpless passengers? We had 2 that were on the last car, so it would've taken all 3 actions, and then each of those cars has a bad effect, that would've triggered when I went back for them, as well as when I returned to my original location. I basically would've taken 4 damage and spent 4 actions to prevent 2 horror. So we just let them get sucked into the gate. Also, spawning cultists at the last car was fun for obvious reasons.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Regarding Essex County Express - is it ever worthwhile to go back for helpless passengers? We had 2 that were on the last car, so it would've taken all 3 actions, and then each of those cars has a bad effect, that would've triggered when I went back for them, as well as when I returned to my original location. I basically would've taken 4 damage and spent 4 actions to prevent 2 horror. So we just let them get sucked into the gate. Also, spawning cultists at the last car was fun for obvious reasons.

No, gently caress those passengers.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Heck getting sucked into the gate may even get them to their destination faster. :v:

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 13, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Maybe if they didn't Surge I'd feel bad for them.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I also just realized that you can only have one of them and they take an ally slot, so yeah, gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I also just realized that you can only have one of them and they take an ally slot, so yeah, gently caress them.

Err, no. They don't have thr ally slot icon, so they don't take a slot, so you can take multiple of them.