Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

this whole article by the village voice on the ferry system is making me very angry!!! i recommend reading it, but key points are:
  • the ferries are taken by higher-income NYC residents (see quotes below lol)
  • they are the most highly subsidised public transport option
  • they have been given much more funding by the city than the select bus service which is more used by lower-income people ($270M over 10 years to the SBS compared to $300M for the ferries over the next 5 years)
  • this is nuts considering "Each of the existing SBS routes carries more passengers alone than the ferry system in total."
  • also nuts: "the mayor has also refused to spend $212 million a year to fund half-price Metrocards for New Yorkers living below the federal poverty line, approximately $25,000 for a family of four."
and here are some trash people:

quote:

"So when the ferry came along finally, we got ourselves what I would call a civil commute."

quote:

"The A train wasn’t safe. The crowd isn’t good on it. It’d go through East New York. This is more comfortable, more relaxing. It’s a different type of clientele and people."

quote:

He described the ferry as “really nice” and “a bit more civilized.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yep probably time to sink western brooklyn

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Sink everything north of greenwood cemetery and south of 125th st

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

hot sorcery posted:

• also nuts: "the mayor has also refused to spend $212 million a year to fund half-price Metrocards for New Yorkers living below the federal poverty line, approximately $25,000 for a family of four."

I wonder what the caveats of that funding are. Otherwise it seems very strange.

e: Reading about it, it seems it would be from the city budget but de blasio thinks it should be from the state budget. It is too bad we have such an incompetent state government and the poor bear the highest burden.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 15:26 on May 21, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

e: Reading about it, it seems it would be from the city budget but de blasio thinks it should be from the state budget.
yes he's absolutely going to get funding from someone who loving hates him

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GO AWAY, GO AWAY, STOP SHOWING YOUR FACE IN PUBLIC, SHUT THE gently caress UP

Hillary Clinton

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

cw: Hillary Clinton

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hot sorcery posted:

this whole article by the village voice on the ferry system is making me very angry!!! i recommend reading it, but key points are:
  • the ferries are taken by higher-income NYC residents (see quotes below lol)
  • they are the most highly subsidised public transport option
  • they have been given much more funding by the city than the select bus service which is more used by lower-income people ($270M over 10 years to the SBS compared to $300M for the ferries over the next 5 years)
  • this is nuts considering "Each of the existing SBS routes carries more passengers alone than the ferry system in total."
and here are some trash people:

I keep forgetting that people use the Long Island Ferry for reasons other than it being a free way of looking at the Statue of Liberty.

Hillary Goddamn Clinton.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
proud of Hillary for endorsing the lesbian

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/CaseySeiler/status/998743457379307521

Edit:

https://twitter.com/Grace_Segers/status/999624730926895104

Edit2: The Daily News really loves BdB!

https://twitter.com/MichaelHwrdSaul/status/999962162394169344

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 14:12 on May 25, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I mentioned the County Committee takeover drive in Brooklyn, and in the 44th district, things keep getting more interesting. Our Assemblymember is Bobby Carroll, who was once a member of the political club I'm in (New Kings Democrats) and assumed to be a reformer, anti-machine guy. The organizing team in that district got in touch with his office and that's apparently no longer the case, because he wants to run his own people for the committee, including the two district leaders and state senator Kevin Parker. If we run on our own slate, we risk getting challenged.

Now he wants to talk with us, presumably because the male district leader, Jake Gold, has abruptly resigned following the discovery of using his campaign account for personal use like perfume and fine dining. We'll see how desperate he is on Monday.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

this fuckin state

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

In upstate/southern tier news, Nick Libous is running against Clifford Crouch in the Republican primary for district 122 assembly member. If the name Libous sounds familiar, it's because his dad Tom was state senator for 25 years before being convicted of lying to the FBI. Matt Libous (Nick's brother) was also convicted of tax fraud and was involved in his father's lying to the feds.

Tom Libous' uncle was also mayor of Binghamton years and years ago. Political dynasties are actually good and not corrupt. Ah, politic's

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
well, this narrative wasn’t at all predictable after the 2016 primary

https://twitter.com/klnynews/status/1001137533101715457?s=21

yeah, I’m sure a convention where Cuomo got 95% of the vote is representative of the actual primary electorate

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I think I just got Ocasio-Cortez another vote in the primary while waiting on line at the Rite Aid near me. at the very least, he's going to look her up online and read more.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Matt Zerella posted:

I think I just got Ocasio-Cortez another vote in the primary while waiting on line at the Rite Aid near me. at the very least, he's going to look her up online and read more.

nice

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Matt Zerella posted:

But have you canvassed yet!?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

And what about you!?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm going to be busy getting petition signatures for myself to get on County Committee, so I probably won't have time to canvass.

In case anyone was wondering, Bobby Carroll is now willing to work with us to get people on the committee ever since his choice for male district leader, Jake Gold, ended up leaving his position and the race when a Post article alleged he spent his campaign money on personal expenses. Gold denies this (and it's the Post so it might be a lie), but that's a lot of baggage to carry in a small race. So things are back on track.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'll be doing the same.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I'll be doing the same.
county committee goon meet let's do it

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
For Brooklyn or Queens?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

anyone going to the left forum this weekend? I will be there

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'll be in Pittsburgh this weekend or I would go, some of the panels look pretty interesting.

Full 2018 program list

lmao why is tim canova speaking at one, :wtc:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

unbutthurtable posted:

For Brooklyn or Queens?
Brooklyn, though i heard from the DSA Queens meetup that New Queens Democrats are doing the same thing up there. Seems like a much steeper mountain to climb up there but I have faith.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

I'll be in Pittsburgh this weekend or I would go, some of the panels look pretty interesting.

Full 2018 program list

lmao why is tim canova speaking at one, :wtc:

Because they do not deny anyone a speaking venue

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Cynthia spelled "ithaca" as "ithica" in her meet and greet invite for sunday, smdh

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Glambags posted:

Cynthia spelled "ithaca" as "ithica" in her meet and greet invite for sunday, smdh

tbf that's often how it's pronounced so I'm willing to let it slide

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

majormonotone posted:

tbf that's often how it's pronounced so I'm willing to let it slide

As long as she doesn't spell binghamton with a p

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Glambags posted:

Oh, who could forget that old Upstate Unix Distribution network command, pinghamton.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

🅱️inghamton

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
her campaign, ruined. now we can never legally be high above cayuga's waters.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Yeah it sucks dude

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Glambags posted:

gently caress binghamton no matter how it's spelled

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Ok

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Finally donated to Nixon. Wish I knew how to sign a petition to put her on the dem primary ballot, though.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Finally donated to Nixon. Wish I knew how to sign a petition to put her on the dem primary ballot, though.

I got an email from Teachout asking me to volunteer to help her with that one. So, gonna do that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

pinghamton

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
very authentic grassroots demonstration against Nixon right here

https://twitter.com/bobrieneden/status/1003050133968293890?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

very authentic grassroots demonstration against Nixon right here

https://twitter.com/bobrieneden/status/1003050133968293890?s=21

low energy